Home The Bridge
Options

Faction Shuttles - Old or New?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
DB's latest faction shuttles have used the same skill seats for the shuttles of each faction. The old way was a large variety of shuttles with little or no duplication.

I see benefits for both. How about you? Do you prefer the old or new shuttles?
Farewell 🖖

Faction Shuttles - Old or New? 53 votes

Old - more variety
26%
[NDQ] Joker41NAMZombie Squirrel Jim RaynoreXo | SilverRose (retired)I will not blame the player for my mistakesBanjo1012Drone_oneTcalSoupKitchen Rikersexy_ladyIronagedavePenguinJimMicah Thanatos IIAutomaton_2000 14 votes
New - more consistency
47%
Warrior WilloJeanLucKirkSabine of AthenseXo | Raji[S47] ELiL(HGH)ApolloDarth Grandpaguest_757423444811776WebberonirobownageHobbes99KayJay47Ishmael MarxTheComedianAJD284Bylo BandProontThe Notorious B.O.P.Mark Dguest_706033722634240 25 votes
Both - alternate between the two
26%
SSR BarkleyRocpilescruffy151Commander Sinclair(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]AggeSvenLundgrenJax2UFCaptain RomarPrime LorcaAdiJoeSage 2MirrorVerse JcAbby 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    New - more consistency
    I think it frees most people up to support the faction they choose, as is the theme of events, rather than the one they would have no choice but to choose based on crew considerations.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't care either way, whatever they pick affects all other players the same as it affects me so as long as it's fair, let's get it
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a perfect world, the old way would be better from a strategy and creativity standpoint. Running the same missions with the same people is just mindless tapping in small spurts across a weekend rather than a huge pile all at once...so, boring.

In the real world, however, it seems that the choices are “many shuttles per faction but the same seat design is used for each faction” or “all shuttle missions are unique but the total number of missions per faction is reduced.” Cutting back to six (or even fewer) missions per faction directly impacts the effectiveness of the kickstart and makes it that much harder for players looking only to reach a certain threshold to do so; telling such people to work harder or fall farther behind, when they are likely to be an older player looking for a weekend off or a new player trying to get better, isn’t very nice at all.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old - more variety
    I hate the new way. I go down the factions to get a variety of different items from the shuttles. If I skip one cuz I don’t like the set up, I find myself opening the same set up two more times in a row. Guess now I gotta pick a faction and stick with it
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old - more variety
    I'd prefer the old way, reasoning being; With more variation of skills and increased number of differing skills potentially opens up the event to a bigger pool of bonus crew making them useful for something. Furthermore a lot of merits go to waste not using bonus crew, if you are using the same 12 or so crew for the same four missions, it's not like we know what the skill seats are before hand so you still have to bring them out to anticipate each eventuality.

Also as more crew gets added the bonus crew can potentially get much bigger. I'd rather like to use a variety of crew, crew that ordinarily wouldn't be much use, that being said it can happen under the new style, case in point It was quite refreshing to use Riley Frazier for this event instead of auto dumping Cornwell or Lawnmower Man in a DIP seat, but it would certainly happen a lot more under the old system.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I noticed this and thought i was loosing my mind the first time. All 3 factions kept openning the same exact skill seats. ????
    I agree with those explanations for the old way above.
    But on the other hand it is very easy to recognize the difficult missions on sight and saves time by just passing them up instead of trying to fill/boost/refill crew.

Edit: 🥓
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    New - more consistency
    I like the new way, since it makes it a more fair choice between factions. Having said that, how many people actually read the plot and invest time considering which faction they want to see win?

I used to pick my faction based on which one had shuttle missions that gave me the highest success rates. Now I pick my faction based on what items I want to farm, often switching to a second option during the event, since I know I'll be spending the next week farming items from the winning faction.

I'd almost prefer shuttle events to simply run a single pool of faction-less shuttle missions.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Old - more variety
    Well my main account has little issues with the NEW way of just 8 different missions, since i have 532 different immortalized crew and 639 with doubles
    , but the common player probably has far less and there for more
    difficulties to to find a perfect seat for their bonus crew.

So as more different missions and seats as better for ppl with less crew, since its a higher chance 1 or more of their bonus crew find the perfect seat in a mission.

For this event i have pulled plenty bonus crew out of freezer, that don‘t have any perfect seat that matches both of their main skills, no surprise since there are only 8 different missions. Make it a 2 faction event with 6 max per faction(as we had seen it in the past) and we are down to 6 only.

The current way gives another advantage to ppl that probably have spent heavy on this game and/or are playing it for 3 years plus.

And as Shan has stated it in the engineering thread, it was not DBs intention to make things harder. And NO it doesn t affect all players the same way.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well my main account has little issues with the NEW way of just 8 different missions, since i have 532 different immortalized crew and 639 with doubles
    , but the common player probably has far less and there for more
    difficulties to to find a perfect seat for their bonus crew.

So as more different missions and seats as better for ppl with less crew, since its a higher chance 1 or more of their bonus crew find the perfect seat in a mission.

For this event i have pulled plenty bonus crew out of freezer, that don‘t have any perfect seat that matches both of their main skills, no surprise since there are only 8 different missions. Make it a 2 faction event with 6 max per faction(as we had seen it in the past) and we are down to 6 only.

The current way gives another advantage to ppl that probably have spent heavy on this game and/or are playing it for 3 years plus.

And as Shan has stated it in the engineering thread, it was not DBs intention to make things harder. And NO it doesn t affect all players the same way.

It won't let me change my vote. I'm pretty much with you, but with a caveat. If devs want to "create efficiencies" when someone goes on vacation, I'm ok with the occasional copy/paste.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: 🥓

I like what you said and I like the way you said it.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    New - more consistency
    I've said on several occasions that the thing I like about faction events is the puzzle solving process for selecting the best crew fit for the shuttle seats. So in that regard, the old way was better. However, the new way is still a puzzle, just slightly less complex, AND allows the player to pick the faction they prefer to farm rather than the one that produces max-optimized success rates.

This is really only a day-one consideration anyway, since (based on forum comments) most established players just wash-rinse-repeat the same set of shuttles for the entire event. Under the new format, I do occasionally switch from one faction to another for the farming benefits (obviously running the same seat arrangements). I never did that under the old format since I didn't want to hurt my success rates.

Paladin 27 wrote: »
    On the other hand, when running 24 shuttles, it is not optimal. Everyone else is probably happy to hear that.
    Thanks for the laugh! I'll remember your pain as I watch you sail along on the leaderboard. :)
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not concerned.

I pick the faction I want, then chose the shuttles based upon that. The only time I have all the missions from all the factions open is during the kick start, and even then I don't keep an eye on what the other faction missions are.

I occasionally hire extra shuttles, but have never had more than a total of eight running.
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    On the other hand, when running 24 shuttles, it is not optimal. Everyone else is probably happy to hear that.

I know I am not going to compete for a top place in a faction event, I prize my sleep too much, and have to work.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who doesnt bother with cherry-picking the most optimal shuttles and just opens and runs whatever transmissions pop up?
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Am I the only one who doesnt bother with cherry-picking the most optimal shuttles and just opens and runs whatever transmissions pop up?

Yes.

;)

No, I'm sure a lot of folks do that.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

I always optimise, either at the kickstart, or when I have a bit of free time later.
    1. Make sure your voyage is recalled, and finished before the event starts.
    2. Do the kick start.
    3. open all transmissions for the faction you have chosen.
    4. Optimise the crew for the best chances for your shuttles.
    5. Send out a new voyage with the best of the rest of your crew.
    6. When your shuttles return, make sure the rest of the faction mission are open before pressing complete.
    7. Complete one faction mission. Then start a new faction mission, it will be the same mission, use the same crew.
    8. Complete the second faction, restart the same with the same crew
    9. repeat with the third and fourth shuttles.

Point 4. Sometimes I take two passes at this, send out the first set of shuttles, and then adjust on the second set if one shuttle has all event crew, and another none. I then send the voyage out after the second pass.

You will then have optimum crew all the way through the event, you don't need to write down which crew are needed for which shuttle, they will just fit back in. Non-event crew will still find the correct seats.

As a bonus you should get good crew for the voyage. I have just run an eight hour voyage with my second crew.

It takes slightly longer, costs a few more merits, but delivers results as more shuttles should successfully complete.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

For the most part, I just fill 'em as they come. I will, however, set aside a 5-seater until I've sent out the others in that wave. If the leftover crew are able to get it to 67% or higher, I'll send it. If not, I'll skip it and open something else. But that's the closest to cherry picking I get. I definitely don't chart which crew to assign to which shuttle or anything that detailed. I'm much too lazy for that.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    New - more consistency
    I like to puzzle new crews with each shuttle and do the opposite mentioned by @Mirror Cartman - best fitting crew goes to voyage except bonus crew. I do not care about some places up or down in the ranks so far though. And I am too stingy to waste merits.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old - more variety

I’m so a cherry picker. It makes a huge success percentage difference
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    New - more consistency
    I like it. I can choose one faction or I can decide I like two shuttle missions and I can do those same two shuttle missions in two different factions. The one downside is that it can be a little difficult if the skills do not match up with the event crew and bonus crew. Maybe if DB made the four three seater shuttle missions more varied. People can always do one or more of the four seat shuttle missions. There was extra variety there.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭

I only skip 5* when I am short of event crew or leave a 3*/4* mission behind for the next round if I open too many of the same kind and need to recover crew.
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I am on the fence. Loading is faster but some of the bonus crew don't match up well and are underused.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    New - more consistency
    But it is good for those with few merits. They do not need to buy as many shuttle missions since they can do just one faction.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

For the most part, I just fill 'em as they come. I will, however, set aside a 5-seater until I've sent out the others in that wave. If the leftover crew are able to get it to 67% or higher, I'll send it. If not, I'll skip it and open something else. But that's the closest to cherry picking I get. I definitely don't chart which crew to assign to which shuttle or anything that detailed. I'm much too lazy for that.

Count me in with the lazy folks. I skip the 5-seaters too, but usually run them as they come. I'm usually only trying for 350k, so a few % points won't hurt as long as I am running them consistantly.
  • Options
    KayJay47KayJay47 ✭✭✭
    New - more consistency

Depends. If I want the gold, I optimize as much as possible. But if I don't care about ranking, I just run them as they come.
  • Options
    I always run them as they come. use what ever boosts needed to get the score I want.