Home The Bridge
Options

Add a bad star vs. add a so-so new char

MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday I had to decide between adding a 3rd star on Shinzon (please, no questions why I had him at 2 stars in the first place!) or getting Mirror Shukan anew. The third choice was Orion Vina - as bad as Shinzon, and I fortunately do not have her. With a little pain I could have made space for Shukan, Rom would have meant more pain later on though.

Shukan is not all bad but noone who had pushed my roster to new limits as it would have taken him months to be next in my todo queue, so I went for Shinzon for two reasons:
1. I currently still use him day to day, so his (tiny) improvement had an immediate impact.
2. I'd like to get rid of him towards the freezer at some point. (Pushing FE legendaries out the airlock is currently still beyond my imagination.)

Today I kind of regret my choice as I hate the thought of adding another two stars to Shinzon to make the invest reasonable in any perspective. He is really totally gross.

So how do you handle such decisions? Do you add stars to chars you want to get rid of towards the freezer or do you choose better crew you do not have yet? I am not talking of high-flyers though which I would rather take in any case.

Some of you might need to go quite back in time to imagine the situation, I know. ;)
Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree don't feel bad about adding stars I don't with my 3/5 Jazzy Odo, he's useful for the time being decent enough base part of the enthusiast collection, but there will come a time he'll enter cryostasis.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noob opinion here, but...

Stars. Always stars. Unless you are talking about adding to a Bynar vs breaking the seal on Burnham, I say go star 99% of the time. Real estate is valuable.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you want the character very much or if the character will be very useful, I always say add stars.
  • Options
    Ace_RimmerAce_Rimmer ✭✭✭
    I've got Shinzon 4 stars. He was my first ever legendary. 33rd best security and that's just on the people out of the freezer.
    Complete bobbins.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added stars is usually the way to go, unless one of the other options is a desperately-desired crew for personal reasons or would be a massive improvement for your crew. Even for Shinzon...

Fun story about Mirror Shukar: I got my first star on him because I took a single crack at his Tuesday pack when it was bugged...he went out to everyone who bought the pack before the bug was squashed. I cited him to bolster my SEC crew and even now with Kol and Thrax at 4/5*, Kortar/Warship Tuvok/Klingon Janeway immortal, he is still my number one voyage SEC, number one voyage SEC/DIP, number one base SEC/DIP, number five base SEC, and number five gauntlet SEC. He’s pretty good when immortal.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, he is entirely worthless. When I started STT I did not realize that the initial stats do in no way correlate with the FFFE stats. At first sight he looked great, but both the 2skiller alternatives would have been better in any case, even though I do not remember who they were. I just hate my decision of taking him back then, and I will keep regretting it until he will finally be out of my sight on Rura Penthe.

But thanks for all of your encouraging words, I feel a little better now. :)
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    When faced with all bad choices, if one card has a collection bonus i go for that. If not, then add to whichever i may already have or the best of the worst. Vina, forget it. Shinzon have him but never wanted him. I am assuming u mean mirror shukar not “shukan”. He has the desperate and mirror traits which are good. There will be mirror collection or two eventually. And he is one of only three 5* andorians. So while his stats are not spectacular his species is unique and traits can come in handy.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun story about Mirror Shukar: I got my first star on him because I took a single crack at his Tuesday pack when it was bugged...he went out to everyone who bought the pack before the bug was squashed. I cited him to bolster my SEC crew and even now with Kol and Thrax at 4/5*, Kortar/Warship Tuvok/Klingon Janeway immortal, he is still my number one voyage SEC, number one voyage SEC/DIP, number one base SEC/DIP, number five base SEC, and number five gauntlet SEC. He’s pretty good when immortal.
    Salt to my wounds. Thanks for that! :neutral:
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little fun fact though is that Shinzon does have the second best tertiary skill for Dip only bested by Dark Ages McCoy not saying he's a great voyager but he will have a use for the time being.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salt to my wounds. Thanks for that! :neutral:

s03k4oxvyrby.jpeg

Sorry...
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I am assuming u mean mirror shukar not “shukan”.
    Yes, the blue guy I cannot remember from the show.

I was aware of your arguments, this is part of my regret. But on the other hand I do not consider him a must-have and can perfectly live without him. I might be wrong though...

/edit: Btw with your strategy... how do you handle space limitations then? If it was not for the "real estate is valuable" (made me laugh!) I would not have even considered adding on Shinzon.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry...
    Oh boy. But with one star mine would not have looked so fancy for a long time.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you want the character very much or if the character will be very useful, I always say add stars.

This is exactly my opinion as well.
  • Options
    Sky Cap 18Sky Cap 18 ✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad. I do get some use from Shukar but it's not like you passed up an essential powerhouse. Keep Shinzon just for fun, he's a big guy (for you).
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Shukar is cool and Disco crew but at 1/5 he is worthless. I think you made the right call getting a third star for Shinzon instead of getting a blue snail guy. Oh wait I just looked at Shinzon's stats. Holy crap he is bad. Mirror Shukar is better at one star. I would have gone with blue snail guy.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Shukar is cool and Disco crew but at 1/5 he is worthless. I think you made the right call getting a third star for Shinzon instead of getting a blue snail guy. Oh wait I just looked at Shinzon's stats. Holy crap he is bad. Mirror Shukar is better at one star. I would have gone with blue snail guy.
    The only good thing about Shinzon is that for me he was easy to equip as I had no other Romulans. Well, he was a beginner's mistake and I will proudly take him to the bitter end. Maybe they will come up with a clone or villain collection some day, then he might be worth anything.
  • Options
    It is never a mistake to add a star to an existing crew member and save a crew slot.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for Vina. She was a solid dip crew for me for a very long time early on, even now she sometimes pops up due to her traits. She's certainly not top on my list, but she got me through a lot of nodes on missions with her dip/science combo (not many crew with that combo around at the time).
  • Options
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Vina. She was a solid dip crew for me for a very long time early on, even now she sometimes pops up due to her traits. She's certainly not top on my list, but she got me through a lot of nodes on missions with her dip/science combo (not many crew with that combo around at the time).
    Hmm, I think Vina is the only legendary I have ever airlocked and I have never looked back. She was never bonus in any event after that so I do not miss Statue of Liberty card. But I am glad she has helped you.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Hmm, I think Vina is the only legendary I have ever airlocked and I have never looked back. She was never bonus in any event after that so I do not miss Statue of Liberty card. But I am glad she has helped you.

During the Prisoner mega I pulled a Tosk from one of those special packs and I airlocked him in a hot second.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have none of those options (Shinzon, Vina, Shukar), so I'd take Vina for the vanity aspect (TOS) without a second thought. But in your situation, I would be 99% likely to add the star to Shinzon. If you have no compelling reason to take someone, always add a star. Fandom isn't enough for me to burn a crew slot on a card that might not get used.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have made the same choice.
    - Odds of Shukar being useful in an event with one star: fair to low (mirror trait helps, but stats with one star hurt)
    - Odds of Shukar being used day-to-day: low (because you presumably have Thrax, Kol, and others)

You mentioned that you use Shinzon, so since the odds of him being useful are 100%, you made the best choice.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I would have made the same choice.
    - Odds of Shukar being useful in an event with one star: fair to low (mirror trait helps, but stats with one star hurt)
    - Odds of Shukar being used day-to-day: low (because you presumably have Thrax, Kol, and others)

You mentioned that you use Shinzon, so since the odds of him being useful are 100%, you made the best choice.
    Thpugh I would love it of DB would allow you one extra set of people in a legendary behold. Take one of the three or hit refresh for another set of three and u pick one of the next three. Even if it cost 100 dil.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Generally, in this situation, I would add a star to a character I already have, like you did.

I think we all have lots of not-so-good 1/5* stars in our crew and they mostly just take away crew slots, apart from the occasional gauntlet with matching traits or the few events where they are bonus crew.

And there are new 5* added every week, so even the better options will become less useful with time, not to mention the average or not-so-good ones.

The only choices I regretted were the ones where I passed on a weak ledendary version of a character that I really like because I had no crew slots or because I chose an average option instead.
    I will probably never see One in a behold again and the additional star on Katrine or the random 3-skill crew that I picked instead of him the two times he appeared won't be of much use to me anyway, now that I have much better crew.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only choices I regretted were the ones where I passed on a weak ledendary version of a character that I really like because I had no crew slots or because I chose an average option instead.
    I will probably never see One in a behold again and the additional star on Katrine or the random 3-skill crew that I picked instead of him the two times he appeared won't be of much use to me anyway, now that I have much better crew.
    Up to now I went with function over style. Interesting perspective though, like others pointed out as well.

Thank you all for the insights.