Home Ready Room
Options

Cite Decissions

calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
I just finished the campaign and got my cites...

SR went on my lvl99 coffee Janeway so I could merge her with evolved Paris to get Evolved Janeway.

So now what to do with the leg cite...

Lvl99 4/5 Thrax or lvl99 1/5 Janeway?

The Janeway will never be avail in a begold, so it can only be advanced through Janeway/Paris children or through cites. Thrax is currently not avail through begolds, but probably will be eventually.

Thrax is very usefully to me at this point as is as either a voyager or a shuttler. Janeway is brand new to me, so I don’t know exactly how/if she currently helps, but at first look at her 1/5 version, she doesn’t look overly useful.

I am leaning towards Janeway due to the build cost involved in getting her more stars (cites are really the only option).

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you'll of course get Janeway to 4/5 once the Mega Event has finished, so it'd only take a single citation to FF her at that point. Personally, I'd recommend citing Thrax, because he's been pretty useful for me, and you'll get immediate usage out of him. Sounds like you don't have an aversion to spending a few bucks here and there, so once you complete another Campaign, you'll have another 5* citation you can drop on her, if you really want to.

Other folks will no doubt say to get Janeway another star right away so that you can have a little better boost to her during the Mega, but the way I feel, I've got so many bonus crew, I don't feel like I need to cite her up just for the meager advantage it'll give me — especially since I'm not going to be going for the higher ranks this weekend.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Sorry, I am not talking about Determined Janeway. I am talking about Evolved Janeway.
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to look at Evolved Janeways stats and see where she fits in on your crew before you cite her. Personally I'd be very hesitant. You can get Paris and Janeway from voyages for free, just needs patience.

I'm probably using my cite for Spock this time. I've still some honor but I'm waiting for now. I have a couple I could work on but they're all at 1*
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I am not talking about Determined Janeway. I am talking about Evolved Janeway.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood. In that case, I agree with Seven of One above regarding you tracking her potential usefulness in your roster — but I would also still generally advise the Thrax citation instead.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Just my opinion, but I would hold onto that 5* citation until you get a legendary crew with a strong MED base, and then throw every citation at it until you have it 5/5, and then repeat this process again and again. Strong MED legends are the choke point for long voyages, so hold on to your citations until you get somebody really strong on MED like "Dark Ages" McCoy, Warship EMA, etc and then cite them up.

-EDIT-
    Conversely, citing up really strong 5* crew with MED as a tertiary skill is also a good idea, so crew like Mirror Stamets who have really good ENG and SCI scores but also MED will also help your voyages out a lot.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Setting aside what else you could do with the Citation, @calsnowskier, and leaving it just at Evolved Janeway vs. Thrax, I'd go Janeway.

For me, it'd be less relevant what she adds to my crew than it is to contend with what she's taking away from it: a minimum of two slots. It was one thing for me to fuse Tuvix and The Duras Sisters without using any Citations; those were just 3*'s fusing into 4*'s. Fusing 4*'s into a 5*, let alone into a 5/5? Nah. Unless, that is, that it would be somehow gratifying for you to do it the hard way. In that event, you'll feel better not having cut the corner so you may as well cite Thrax.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to give the same advice on these threads. Consider waiting. There's a Jett Reno on the horizon. She is likely to be ENG/MED.

Personally, I will be patient and wait for Janeway's and Paris's to drop. I'm not in that big of a hurry for her. But if you don't want to use your slots like that, then I get it. Cites are the best option.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sitting on 100k honor and a legendary citation all to see what Jett Reno looks like. If Jett's a 4* or has terrible stats, the three citations will get used elsewhere. . . . probably:

1 citation to immortalize Leonardo da Vinci
    2 citations to either First Officer Burnham or Dr. Katherine Pulaski
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but I would hold onto that 5* citation until you get a legendary crew with a strong MED base, and then throw every citation at it until you have it 5/5, and then repeat this process again and again. Strong MED legends are the choke point for long voyages, so hold on to your citations until you get somebody really strong on MED like "Dark Ages" McCoy, Warship EMA, etc and then cite them up.

-EDIT-
    Conversely, citing up really strong 5* crew with MED as a tertiary skill is also a good idea, so crew like Mirror Stamets who have really good ENG and SCI scores but also MED will also help your voyages out a lot.

Did you find a strong Med holding you back from 10 hour voyages? I currently have DA McCoy @ lvl 100 1/5. I wasn't planning on working on him for a while. My current project is Mirror Stamets, my next planned project is Assimilated Hawk.
    My current Med 5* are:
    5/5 BR Bashir, Guinan, Prisoner Cornwell, Boothby, AoS Crusher
    No 4/5
    3/5 Mirror Stamets
    2/5 Caretaker, Crell Moset, The Keeper, Prince Bashir, DF Paris
    1/5 DA McCoy, Defensive Phlox, 2nd Guinan, M. Crusher, and Pulaski.
  • Options
    I like the arguments against using it on Evolved Janeway. Cites are valuable, and paris’s (Pari?) and Janeway SHOULD be easy enough to get, in the big picture.

Adding the cite to Thrax also seems a bit of a waste. He is a strong card, but going from 4/5 to 5/5 would be a relative minor jump.

The only gold med I have is a 2/5 Bell Riots Bashir. But he is not built enough to get any use yet (I am building him). Maybe holding the cite until brb matures a bit or a better option arises is the best plan.

Thanks for all the advice
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

-EDIT-

Did you find a strong Med holding you back from 10 hour voyages? I currently have DA McCoy @ lvl 100 1/5. I wasn't planning on working on him for a while. My current project is Mirror Stamets, my next planned project is Assimilated Hawk.
    My current Med 5* are:
    No 4/5
    3/5 Mirror Stamets

Actually, yes. For those of us late starters (been playing just over a year I think) we missed out on Darth Bashir and Prisoner Cornwell, and I only just started to make strides in Gauntlet right as Caretaker rotated out (I have since won two Caretakers since the reward system was changed) so MED has been a HUGE struggle. And since you asked, my personal record for a single voyage is 9 hours, 9 minutes with no refresh, although thanks to my renewed strategy of committing 100% to improving my MED crew (my last two immortalization projects have been Mirror Stamos and Warship EMA) I've been hitting 8+ hour voyages all weekend during a Faction event where I'm MASSIVELY over-extending myself to chase rank, which I'm calling a win! :)

As a newer player, I think I have a pretty good feel for the struggles facing our friend @calsnowskier, and for those who missed out on Prisoner Cornwell and Darth Bashir, the struggle has but one word: MED. Focus on MED and everything else will fall into place :)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

-EDIT-

My current Med 5* are:
    No 4/5
    3/5 Mirror Stamets

Actually, yes. For those of us late starters (been playing just over a year I think) we missed out on Darth Bashir and Prisoner Cornwell, and I only just started to make strides in Gauntlet right as Caretaker rotated out (I have since won two Caretakers since the reward system was changed) so MED has been a HUGE struggle. And since you asked, my personal record for a single voyage is 9 hours, 9 minutes with no refresh, although thanks to my renewed strategy of committing 100% to improving my MED crew (my last two immortalization projects have been Mirror Stamos and Warship EMA) I've been hitting 8+ hour voyages all weekend during a Faction event where I'm MASSIVELY over-extending myself to chase rank, which I'm calling a win! :)

As a newer player, I think I have a pretty good feel for the struggles facing our friend @calsnowskier, and for those who missed out on Prisoner Cornwell and Darth Bashir, the struggle has but one word: MED. Focus on MED and everything else will fall into place :)

I haven’t quite reached 10 hours yet either but I can get into the 9:30+ range on MED-focused voyages thanks to the following doctors (immortal unless specified):

-Cornwell
    -Darth Bashir
    -Crell Moset
    -Warship EMA
    -AoS Crusher
    -4/5* Mobile Doctor
    -Caretaker
    -Leonardo
    -White Rabbit
    -Delta Flyer Paris
    -3/5* DA McCoy
    -3/5* Mirror Bev
    -1/5* Defensive Phlox
    -3/5* The Keeper

I obviously can’t use all of them at once; however, MED/DIP and MED/SCI are good combos for me and I can even make a nice run on MED/ENG if I am careful with how I choose my crew.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a visual representation of what I'm talking about, this is a generic voyage I just sent out in accord with the @DavideBooks voyage trait reset program, and I sent it with my best 2 characters for each skill. As you can see, even with my renewed efforts if only citing MED crew, my MED is still laughably horrible, and the biggest thing holding me back from achieving bigger things.

wa899v6t87fk.png
  • Options
    I am in @DavideBooks ' squadron, and yet, I know not about this "voyage trait reset program"! :p Enlighten me, please? :D:)
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we know who he likes better ;)

LOL, J/K

It is the process of sending out two, 3 minute voyages to force the game to reset your voyage traits after they reset server side.
  • Options
    No need to guess, of course he likes you more. :p:D;)

I'll have to give that a try, but I think it'll tell me what I'm already suspecting. Once I finish my current project to immortalise Butterchurn (aka Survivalist) Kirk, I'll need to focus on citing up my best Dip and Med legendaries.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a visual representation of what I'm talking about, this is a generic voyage I just sent out in accord with the @DavideBooks voyage trait reset program, and I sent it with my best 2 characters for each skill. As you can see, even with my renewed efforts if only citing MED crew, my MED is still laughably horrible, and the biggest thing holding me back from achieving bigger things.

wa899v6t87fk.png

Even with my robust collection of doctors, reset voyages won’t look all that different for me. I think what you’re seeing here is more an artifact of few characters having MED as a tertiary or even secondary skill. My skill reset voyages will look like this:

COM - Borg Queen, Mirror Picard
    DIP - Arachnia Janeway, 4/5* Minuet
    ENG - Etana Jol, Caretaker
    SEC - Mirror Shukar, Warship Tuvok
    MED - Warship EMA, Prisoner Cornwell
    SCI - Surak, Protomorphosis Barclay

The only one with non-primary MED is The Caretaker. I could potentially improve on that by having a brain fart and sending a couple of shuttles first, which could bump up Leonardo, White Rabbit, 2/5* Guinan, and Delta Flyer Paris (maybe 3/5* The Keeper and Darth Bashir as well, if it were a very particular set of shuttles).

Don’t beat yourself up too much over this screen, is all.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

wa899v6t87fk.png

Even with my robust collection of doctors, reset voyages won’t look all that different for me. I think what you’re seeing here is more an artifact of few characters having MED as a tertiary or even secondary skill. My skill reset voyages will look like this:

COM - Borg Queen, Mirror Picard
    DIP - Arachnia Janeway, 4/5* Minuet
    ENG - Etana Jol, Caretaker
    SEC - Mirror Shukar, Warship Tuvok
    MED - Warship EMA, Prisoner Cornwell
    SCI - Surak, Protomorphosis Barclay

The only one with non-primary MED is The Caretaker. I could potentially improve on that by having a brain fart and sending a couple of shuttles first, which could bump up Leonardo, White Rabbit, 2/5* Guinan, and Delta Flyer Paris (maybe 3/5* The Keeper and Darth Bashir as well, if it were a very particular set of shuttles).

Don’t beat yourself up too much over this screen, is all.

True, that is why part of my suggested citation strategy is to also cite up useful crew like Leonardo and Mirror Stamos who also have MED, because every little bit help!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in @DavideBooks ' squadron, and yet, I know not about this "voyage trait reset program"! :p Enlighten me, please? :D:)

No favorites. In-game text is just so hard to use and slow to refresh.

In fairness, the strategy is not purely mine. Others were saying to send out short voyages to refresh the traits and that such actions sometimes work. I simply experimented and found that if I sent two of them long enough to get at least one reward, it worked every time. I therefore put it out here in response to what people were talking about. It never occurred to me to put it in the squad chat. I'll start doing such things.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyage came back so I can now do the above exercise ... as someone who has never focused on MED, but tried for a balanced approach (citing Prince Bashir (completed last week), RAF O'Brien, Honey Bare and Away Team Saru).

CMD: 9.120 - Mirror Picard / Prince Bashir (Borg Queen (4/5) gets my next citation)
    DIP: 12.000 - Bartender Guinan / Chancellor L'Rell (1/5)
    SEC: 7.688 - Thrax / Kol House of Kor
    ENG: 4.797 - Etana Jol / Ru'afo
    SCI: 5.796 - Surak / Honey Bare Jadzia
    MED: 5.497 - Prisoner Katrina Cornwell / Bell Riots Bashir - Cornwell is actually my #2 DIP ... my #3 MED is Dr. Katherine Pulaski (1/5) ... If I switch out L'Rell for Pulaski I get much higher SCI and MED but lower DIP and CMD (SEC remains about equal).

I didn't put in 2-skill crew (e.g. Minuet), as I'd never do that for a Voyage anyway.

To me it is not about these scores at all, but making sure that crew with interesting 3-skill-combos are maxed ... this often does include MED, as ByloBand stated, but not always and I do think it is heavily roster dependent.
    I agree that the two initial 5* mentioned in this tread are not really worth a citation at this time (Thrax during the mega event was), especially Evolved Janeway (though she is pretty decent).
    I would aim to cite unique skill combos on your roster, which would probably mean citing someone with MED ... that is if the mega event Janeway has not yet been cited ... she's a must and will benefit most rosters even after the mega event is over.

On a side note ... outside of always hitting 8 hrs now-a-days for all combos at any time, I've made 10 hrs for the combos CMD/SEC and CMD/DIP ... how I've not hit it with the DIP/SEC combo baffles me. :)