Home The Bridge

Shout Out to the "Month of Hell" Writer(s)

It's been voiced by several other forum members in various threads, but it merits mentioning again that it has been especially satisfying through these first three weeks to see how closely "Month of Hell" has tied into "Year of Hell". I don't even care about that two-parter, but I can appreciate how nice it is for the players who do dig it enough that they voted for it to be the them of this fan's choice Mega.

But beyond that, I gotta say, the writing of the characters has been spot-on. Event dialogue is largely perfunctory. If I'm being entirely honest, I often feel that the voice isn't quite right. Throughout "Month of Hell" so far, though, whoever has been writing has nailed each character. I wish I'd thought to screenshot more, but here are a few highlights:

p5cxjehe26jv.jpg

I can easily hear Ethan Phillips delivering those lines, trying in earnest to convince us that Captain Janeway has been an exemplary model of a by-the-book Starfleet leader, largely because his defense mechanisms of denial and rationalization are so reflexive. It's something I dislike about the character, but the writing of it is pitch perfect.

i85ur4xymh7y.jpg

Janeway in full blown messiah mode, most obviously demonstrated in "Endgame" but can be seen elsewhere whenever she made an entirely arbitrary choice over the reasonable counsel of her staff. I think of when she overruled Chakotay about aligning with the Borg against Speceies 8472 and gave that pitiful "Then I guess I'm alone" guilt trip. Or when she straight up murdered Tuvix because Kes was whiny and Janeway made it a symbolic rejection of being stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Again, something I hate about the character, but the writing of Janeway as the instigator above answering to anyone has been perfect.

Also, it occurs to me that way back in Episode 3, "From On High", the prospect was raised that Starfleet may have been responsible for the impetus for this entire game and that Janeway herself specifically had knowledge about that possibility that she wasn't sharing. Are we seeing the introduction of some game-advancing narrative here? If so, that's especially welcomed!

I wish I'd snagged a shot of Stamets insulting Icheb, because that, too, felt on-brand and I could easily hear Anthony Rapp delivering those lines (and making that cocky smirky face of his while doing it). I can't wait to see what the writer(s) do with Jett Reno next week!

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can't be easy writing characters that are loved in this community. This mega event is definitely worth acknowledging. My thanks to the writing team as well.
    Farewell 🖖
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Preach. Very impressed with this mega. There have been some unfortunate choices (Federation Fighter, Reno's skills), but the writing has been fun, the art has been great, and unlike previous megas, they really stuck to the theme.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I echo these sentiments, and i'm glad you brought up those lines by Neelix because they were absolutely spot on.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen, Brother Travis. There have been events, in or out of mega events, where the dialogue was borderline bizarre...that is not the case now. I am also excited to see what Reno has to say next week.
  • ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Well done DB.
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • MirrorMartiganMirrorMartigan ✭✭✭✭
    I have throughly enjoyed the writing of this Mega Event. Voyager isn't my favorite Trek, but I did enjoy Year of Hell. This fan choice is more enjoyable than the DS9 fan choice of last year.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    This fan choice is more enjoyable than the DS9 fan choice of last year.

Last year they shot themselves in the foot by asking which series and which faction, and ended up having to concoct a strange story, compounding it by not taking the more obvious route of focusing on the Jack Pack.

It's pretty clear they learned from their mistake on this one by coming up with a few ideas and then asking us which we would prefer. The result has been far more compelling.
  • [KM]Videm[KM]Videm ✭✭✭
    35ts3ref70x3.png

@Travis S McClain is this the dialogue from Stamets you wanted?
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes for me that Stamets line was the best of the bunch. Really matched his sarcastic personality.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just adding my comment to a thread that I appreciate because this is deserved praise for the DB Team.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually skip over the talky talk. I read the whole intro this week!!!!!

Kudos writers!!!!!
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    [KM]Videm wrote: »
    35ts3ref70x3.png

@Travis S McClain is this the dialogue from Stamets you wanted?

YES! Thanks for that, @[KM]Videm! What I dig most about this is the bit at the end about "unless of course someone manages to turn up something that suggests otherwise". That kind of line could have come across as Stamets qualifying his opening insult and giving himself room to say "My bad" later, but, nah. That's not what's happening. This is him doubling down on it and it's delicious.
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I was utterly psyched when YoH won the vote, and aside from not getting a Krenim Timeship, everything has been spot on and really enjoyable. All the positive feedback given here I agree with 100%, and I am glad to hear Shan is making sure the appropriate parties see it!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it has been well done. The writers are doing great. I loved the Neelix lines. He puts his faith in someone and never loses it regardless of situation. Next week we will have Chakotay trying to temper Janeway's worst impulses and get her to work with the group. Janeway is a good captain but she often tries to rely too much on herself and her own counsel.
    Let’s fly!
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    :: applauds DB ::

Some of us do read the script. Well done, y’all. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else that I think was a nice step forward for the event writing was when they started regularly bringing in characters from outside just the Featured Crew for the narrative. The one that really stands out was when Captain Dathon figured into "Fireside Stories". But even something like that cross-talk between Stamets and Icheb this week adds some flavor and scale to the story. That had been done periodically before, but it seems more of a new normal these days, and I think that was wise.

Yes it works better because then the story can feel more natural and less forced.
    Let’s fly!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else that I think was a nice step forward for the event writing was when they started regularly bringing in characters from outside just the Featured Crew for the narrative. The one that really stands out was when Captain Dathon figured into "Fireside Stories". But even something like that cross-talk between Stamets and Icheb this week adds some flavor and scale to the story. That had been done periodically before, but it seems more of a new normal these days, and I think that was wise.

I like it because it's a reminder that other crew are still on your ship, and yes, they still matter. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another well written bit of voice-accurate dialogue, from Phase 2:

j0z4x83glmue.jpg
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another well written bit of voice-accurate dialogue, from Phase 2:

j0z4x83glmue.jpg

LOL well done!!
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming in late (I'm away from keyboards a lot over weekends, just playing on the pad) but yeah, add one more contented Trekkie. It's been really easy to hear the actors' voices, and that's made a big difference - normally, honestly, at this point I'd be starting to feel a bit over a mega event and just going through the motions as if it were any other week, but I'm looking forward to next weekend and seeing how it wraps up.
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    I can hear them in my head! :eek:

Some of the earlier dialogue has been good too on an occasion, but now it's been pretty darn consistent. Great stuff.
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    I given credit to the team at DB in general. The game has improved they keep writing new events and campaigns, in my opinion, is awesome