Home The Bridge
Options

HMS Bounty

65ct0yej2jq2.jpg

Why is this not a Klingon ship?

Comments

• Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Since the original question has been answered satisfactorily, I'm hijacking this thread to ask a very related philosophical question (no disrespect intended @Looseye)

(I just wrote up a couple paragraphs but deleted them in anticipation of legitimate objections. I will try again)

Actually, no need to use hypothetical, let's just stick with the issue here directly: I get why this ship is considered part of the Federation fleet, but how is it not still Klingon? It was designed by Klingons, built by Klingons, and still looks identical to every other Klingon ship.

Like if you take a chunk of granite and spray paint it and use it for a doorstop, it is now ALSO a doorstop, but it is still granite.

Exactly my point that I tried to state above, as the meme goes
    f9qn7bo61jtx.gif
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the original question has been answered satisfactorily, I'm hijacking this thread to ask a very related philosophical question (no disrespect intended @Looseye)

(I just wrote up a couple paragraphs but deleted them in anticipation of legitimate objections. I will try again)

Actually, no need to use hypothetical, let's just stick with the issue here directly: I get why this ship is considered part of the Federation fleet, but how is it not still Klingon? It was designed by Klingons, built by Klingons, and still looks identical to every other Klingon ship.

Like if you take a chunk of granite and spray paint it and use it for a doorstop, it is now ALSO a doorstop, but it is still granite.

f9qn7bo61jtx.gif

In my defense, I think we were both typing at the same time, and your reply posted first. I had not seen it when I wrote mine *shrug*
  • Options

f9qn7bo61jtx.gif

In my defense, I think we were both typing at the same time, and your reply posted first. I had not seen it when I wrote mine *shrug*

Great minds......
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Star Trek VI, there was supposedly a storyboard scene that showed the Bounty being disassembled in Spacedock by Starfleet Intelligence. It obviously got cut and didn’t make it into the movie. While not canon, it’s good enough reason for me to accept that the ship is only Federation in the game.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    EnderW wrote: »
    For Star Trek VI, there was supposedly a storyboard scene that showed the Bounty being disassembled in Spacedock by Starfleet Intelligence. It obviously got cut and didn’t make it into the movie. While not canon, it’s good enough reason for me to accept that the ship is only Federation in the game.
    This makes me think of the ship as even more of a Klingon ship...if it is a federation ship, why would Starfleet intelligence wanna disassemble it. Cause it is a Klingon ship, not a federation one.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    During most events, at the top of the scoreboard. ;)

Well played.

But in all seriousness, yeah, let's get George and Gracie into the game. Perhaps as 3* cards, with a 4* fuse in the Bounty's cargo hold. Yeah, they were "legendary" in the 23rd century, but in the 20th, they were only endangered (i.e., rare).
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looseye wrote: »
    65ct0yej2jq2.jpg

I asked myself the same thing, then realized it most be a "technicality". Since it was stolen, it stopped being a Klingon design......
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    65ct0yej2jq2.jpg

I asked myself the same thing, then realized it most be a "technicality". Since it was stolen, it stopped being a Klingon design......

Well...it’s still a Klingon design but is no longer politically affiliated with the Empire. It all comes back to the artificial restriction of how many traits are applied to each ship: three or four for 5* ships, three for 4* ships, two or three for 3* ships, and two for 1* and 2* ships. I’m sure this is a game balance issue, but ideally I’d like to see a little mor standardization (as with crew traits):

-manufacturer
    -political affiliation (if different from manufacturer)
    -role (fighter/scout/long-range explorer/warship)
    -specialty (cloaking device, historic, etc.)

Technically, under these rules, the Kumari wouldn’t have Federation because it was depicted on screen in the pre-Federation time period (although I can absolutely imagine it was still in service after 2161), the Reliant would have Federation as well as Augments, Discovery would need a new Science Vessel trait, and so on.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, under these rules, the Kumari wouldn’t have Federation because it was depicted on screen in the pre-Federation time period (although I can absolutely imagine it was still in service after 2161

Except it was destroyed in 2154. ;)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, under these rules, the Kumari wouldn’t have Federation because it was depicted on screen in the pre-Federation time period (although I can absolutely imagine it was still in service after 2161

Oops. It’s been a while since my last re-watch of Enterprise. In that case, Federation is 100% a wrong trait to apply to the ship...unless, of course, the assertion is that it’s the Kumari-A from somewhere between 2154 and 2161. ;)
  • Options
    Speaking of HMS Bounty and The Voyage Home brings two questions to mind. First, when are we getting the space probe?

nji2amdfbj08.jpg

And second question:

60psv03c6imu.jpg

And third question: where is the sound bite quote “cpt,,.. there be whales here” i think was the line. Or something Very similar.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

A victim of the Aenar piloted Drone, IIRC
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    So, just to be clear, this ship was built by Klingons, using Klingon parts and technology. It was stolen, and commanded by a Federation crew, and given a Federation name. This does NOT change the fact that it is still a Klingon ship. I believe a fair analogy would be to say, if someone was to steal a Volkswagen, take spray paint, and write "Ferrari" on the side of it, it's still a Volkswagen. Allow me to use another analogy for those that say it became part of the Federation fleet; Just because a mouse is in the cookie jar, doesn't make it a cookie.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    And third question: where is the sound bite quote “cpt,,.. there be whales here” i think was the line. Or something Very similar.

opv7j0qc6dkq.gif
    I love Voyage Home. It is my second favorite trek movie after First Contact.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, just to be clear, this ship was built by Klingons, using Klingon parts and technology. It was stolen, and commanded by a Federation crew, and given a Federation name. This does NOT change the fact that it is still a Klingon ship. I believe a fair analogy would be to say, if someone was to steal a Volkswagen, take spray paint, and write "Ferrari" on the side of it, it's still a Volkswagen. Allow me to use another analogy for those that say it became part of the Federation fleet; Just because a mouse is in the cookie jar, doesn't make it a cookie.

So was the Swiftsure, British built and a British ship at the Battle of the Nile, a British ship at Trafalgar despite being a part of the French fleet (since it had been captured by the French in 1801)? It was always a British built ship, but it wasn't always a British flagged ship.