Options

Connectivity issues for over an hour

2»

Comments

• Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Looking forward to all the threads about the event getting screwed up!

If it is the players internet that is screwed then that is not DBs fault. (which appears to be the case this time)

If it's DBs internet that is screwed up and not the players then that is DBs fault via their choice of third party. (Which was the case about seven months ago, which I believe you're alluding to)

We had this debate months ago so I'll not go into it too deeply again.

It is next to impossible to call something the player's internet or DB's internet. There are so many companies involved. Unless it's the players local provider (Comcast, AT&T, Spectrum, etc...) it's not the players internet, it's the generic cloud of connectivity. With DB running servers on AWS and AWS being responsible for the internet access to its machines, DB has no local provider for it to be their internet.

What happens in all these cases is a problem somewhere between the local players provider and AWS. Neither the player nor DB has any control over the routes your data takes going between the two.

If you are a skilled enough computer geek, routing your connectivity is not an issue either. Just saying.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the time zone stuff, I sympathize with our international pals and I do think it's worthwhile to at least tinker with finding new ways of doing things. Maybe the next Starbase Room Bonus could be something like starting events a little earlier, say in 6 minute increments up to one hour?

Or maybe a new token that works kinda like existing Time Boosts? You could start the event three hours sooner, at 9 AM EST rather than 12 PM EST on Thursday, but at the cost that your event would then end at 9 AM EST on Monday rather than at 12 PM EST. When are those three hours more valuable to you? We still all get the same 96 hours of event play this way*, and the price for starting early is having to stand and watch at the end, powerless to jump back in.

*Obviously, some mechanism would need to be in place to prevent squadron sharing bonuses from being used to circumvent the Time Expired feature, but I'm sure DB's programmers can figure out somethin'.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the time zone stuff, I sympathize with our international pals and I do think it's worthwhile to at least tinker with finding new ways of doing things. Maybe the next Starbase Room Bonus could be something like starting events a little earlier, say in 6 minute increments up to one hour?

Or maybe a new token that works kinda like existing Time Boosts? You could start the event three hours sooner, at 9 AM EST rather than 12 PM EST on Thursday, but at the cost that your event would then end at 9 AM EST on Monday rather than at 12 PM EST. When are those three hours more valuable to you? We still all get the same 96 hours of event play this way*, and the price for starting early is having to stand and watch at the end, powerless to jump back in.

*Obviously, some mechanism would need to be in place to prevent squadron sharing bonuses from being used to circumvent the Time Expired feature, but I'm sure DB's programmers can figure out somethin'.

That is so much more complicated then just starting the event at a different time for everyone. I guess the problem is that DB employees have to be at work for the event to start and to fix any problems at the beginning.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My other game is based in Hong Kong, but they set thier clocks to GMT to make it easier for players to participate. That way it doesn't favour player either in the far west or far east.
  • Options

If there was a major outage at the regional west coast center where DB hosts their servers, then AWS would credit DB some set of $ for violating SLA.

Hahahahaha, normally I'm the one with the jokes, but that's funny
  • Options

That is so much more complicated then just starting the event at a different time for everyone. I guess the problem is that DB employees have to be at work for the event to start and to fix any problems at the beginning.

Letting everyone start at their own time doesn't address making everyone finish at the same time. That's the whole reason that it's complicated in the first place. Yes, I think my fellow players who live in Kyrgyzstan should be able to start playing an event earlier on Thursday than 10 PM their time. No, I don't think my fellow players who live in Kyrgyzstan should be able to start playing an event earlier on Thursday than 10 PM their time and also get to keep playing right up until the same last minute as me.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Working fine here in Asia. I don't know that I'm on the same server, but I would guess that I am.

And that is the main problem. It gives an advantage to the ones not affected by the outage. Whether it is a DB issue or not.......

Actually, my time zone gives me a major disadvantage in several areas of the game. Most noteably in these events because I go to sleep a few hours before the event finishes and can lose up to 3000 places in that time. Having a little extra connectivity for a few hours makes very little difference after 2 years gameplay. Please don't use the "this is unfair" card just because my game is working.

Edit: I posted the above before reading other comments. I have now seen that the conversation went in this direction already, but I feel that my point still stands.

I simply made a point. Sorry it dumped some sand in.

The other game I spend most of my time playing has a monthly Raid Event. The Raid used to start like around 12PM, with a "rolling" start time across the five Servers. Our Alliance iwas on Server One. So, was not too bad. Now, we are on Server Five, and the Raid starts at 6PM. So, with the rolling start, we get to start at 10PM. I understand how start end times can be a problem for people. Especially in a game that is played around the globe.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    guys ... this is a game made by a US based company that set event times 3+ years ago, and have not changed, nor should it change at this stage. DB is also not responsible for routing mistakes by a major backbone provider on the opposite coast, so this "level playing field" nonsense is just baloney. let's not derail the thread.

If there was a major outage at the regional west coast center where DB hosts their servers, then AWS would credit DB some set of $ for violating SLA, and it's DB's choice how to recompense players, but that certainly was not the case yesterday.

Maybe there isn't a practical way to make events more accessible to other players. I don't know. But what about Kyrgyzstan Scott, who only has Internet access at his library, which is closed at 10 PM his time when events start and end? What's wrong with asking DB to see if there's a way to make events more doable for him?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    guys ... this is a game made by a US based company that set event times 3+ years ago, and have not changed, nor should it change at this stage. DB is also not responsible for routing mistakes by a major backbone provider on the opposite coast, so this "level playing field" nonsense is just baloney. let's not derail the thread.

If there was a major outage at the regional west coast center where DB hosts their servers, then AWS would credit DB some set of $ for violating SLA, and it's DB's choice how to recompense players, but that certainly was not the case yesterday.

Maybe there isn't a practical way to make events more accessible to other players. I don't know. But what about Kyrgyzstan Scott, who only has Internet access at his library, which is closed at 10 PM his time when events start and end? What's wrong with asking DB to see if there's a way to make events more doable for him?

Events here actually start at noon. I'm in America. The game that I was talking about is in America, too. But, they decided to do their Events around a Middle Eastern start time......
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

There's a lot more people in Asia than in the Americas

• Options

Events here actually start at noon. I'm in America. The game that I was talking about is in America, too. But, they decided to do their Events around a Middle Eastern start time......

I was referring to your hypothetical counterpart in Kyrgyzstan, where 12 noon here is 10 PM there.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

There's a lot more people in Asia than in the Americas

However I’m sure many more people play this game in the U.S. than in Asia
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the fairest solution to the timezone differences (including gauntlet end times too, not just event start/end) is for all resets to advance 1hr every month or two. That way we’re all slowly advantaged and disadvantaged the same.
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I am a corporate tool, who works in GMT-7, for a HQ who lives in GMT-4 or -5 depending on what month it is.

My customers are global, so I dont care what GMT variable they live in.
    We all have deliverabes, which are due at GMT 0 - whatever HQ decides they are saving time or not. Read, HQ time.

My company is doing okay with such a static time zone and global environment.

So much so, your 401k probably invests in my company.

You're welcome.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Why not use AOE time? Wouldn't that be better and more fair? We use it in Academia and in Corporate all the time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Please leave the time zone as is. Not everybody live in the US.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @ Uluru. Don't worry, I don't think anybody is actually serious about changing the times of the game. We are just venting a little pent up steam after being told we had an "unfair advantage" due to our location.