Home Ready Room
Options

The Super Rare Citation debate

IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
With Fierce Guinan now complete I don't have any current "hard to get" 3 part Voyage purples in my roster, so looking for advice on where to put my focus on these campaign citations.

Perhaps my main floating Ideas are:
Assimilated Troi - helps me get closer to completing the Borg Collection and helps me along the way for the originals collection. Might make a voyage or two too.
B-4 - To unlock that tricky node - but unsure if he is a dead certainty to unlock the node.
Jannar - this two part never seems to come my way, citing him will also help kick start my xindi collection.
Janeway - bringing her to 3 of 4 gets me a step closer to getting a second star on Evolved Janeway. It's like having half the value of a gold citation.

here are the candidates:
zxb7fv1oop9l.jpg
[was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been considering Troi for the same reasons (just "originals", my borg is maxed). Might want to see what the August portal update brings. If Troi/B4 are in that one, then go Jannar. Janeway is an interesting option that I hadn't considered - Evolved is obviously a long-term project, but getting there faster is a nice idea. Obrist is a good choice too, just so you can freeze him now instead of in 6 months. I'd skip the older cards - they will all drop from voyages (or packs) eventually.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Jannar. He will come. I would use it on a very recent crew or the next new crew we only get at 3/4 from an event. Those will take longer to be in the portal. ...not that the portal updates often.
  • Options
    Not Jannar. He will come. I would use it on a very recent crew or the next new crew we only get at 3/4 from an event. Those will take longer to be in the portal. ...not that the portal updates often.

Yes I have total faith he will come eventually but then again so does this and a bit too more frequently....
    p4e5tpr2rrdw.png
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand the philosophy that advises against citing a Gauntlet or Voyage exclusive. One in the hand and all that, you know?

That said, if you're committed to an Evolved Janeway, that's gonna require playing the long game and it'll stay that much longer if you don't advance when you can. What's the worst that happens? You get more Janeways from your next several portal pulls?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    If slots are an issue, then go for Troi. Otherwise, I agree with @Travis S McClain 's logic regarding Janeway or Paris.

I'm one step behind you, OP. I'll finish Guinan this month. Next month I'll save, then the following month I should be able to add a star to Evolved Janeway. Unless I get more of them to drop in the meantime. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% of my 4* citations are being spent on Janeway and Paris for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    I make 'cite of the month' award show on my discord fleet channel.
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I cite someone to get them into the cryo chamber and off the active roster OR to make them useful. I don't necessarily look at portal or not, I look at best return at that moment. I cited Friar Tuck Data because he got me a decent haul in a collection and I saved a space. If I needed a citation to fuse a character to give them a 1000 point skill and become faction useful or extend a merged characters, I would also do it, if it was the best option at that time.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm holding on to my super rare citations until the right option comes along, but it will probably be either citing up Evolved Janeway (through Mutated Paris/Captain Janeway) or citing up one of the nearly impossible to get Voyage-only reward crew (like Colonel Worf or Ensign Picard).
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Thanks guys I’m going with speeding up Janeway it will also help free up two slots quicker.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't been on the forum in ages, so a little late to the table ... here's my thoughts on 4* citations:

1. 3-part Voyage crew ... like you, I completed Guinan and have none of the other 3.

2. 3/4 event crew that are NOT in portal and that are part of a COLLECTION ... think Assimilated Troi (2 collections). I also have a 3/4 Test Pilot Archer, so my citations will go there the next two campaigns. There will probably be another collection crew by the time those two get citations, so doubt I'll ever get to ...

3. 3/4 crew from Skirmish or Faction events that are not in portal.

4. Evolved Janeway or the Binary guys if they ever make it into the portal at the snail's pace of updates there.

I can't imagine you're in crew slot issues, considering I've got 40 of now 185 open and I could freeze another 7 crew no problem I imagine you're in the same boat ... hence, the 2-part voyage crew will eventually come your way.

Jannar : The collection is not worth it for tier 1-4 ... it gets interesting for 5+ ... so, unless he gets you to those tiers I'd just wait it out, no rush. If you want to kick-start your Xindi collection you can just immortalise Dolim. :) (kinda a waste of a citation and that's how I see Jannar).

B-4 : I can't imagine you need B-4 to unlock anything ... I've never used him, which node do you need him for? Try Mirror Data or Lal if it is an Android node.

Evolved Janeway : I have 1 copy of her and have 1 Mutated Paris ready for pt 2 ... but citing anyone at the moment is risky, as you never know how crew will drop ... an event might drop you 4 Paris's and then you don't want to have a 2/4 Janeway sitting there.
    If you go Janeway, then just hoard the citations and do not use them until you can make 1 copy of her.
  • Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    re: Evolved/ Captain/ Mutated. I have Evolved 4/5 FE, 1 Janeway, 1 Paris. One legendary citation costs less honor than 4 super rares, a lot less. Campaigns provide 1 of each along with a load of other stuff. I think I can wait until the end of the next campaign cycle to see if 2/3 more of Paris or Janeway drop then its easy to make the decision as to which way to go.

At least if you have the slots free you don't have to fuse any Janeways or Paris' until ready to make one 4/4. If you have citations in the bank (or plenty of honor) 4 singles of each gets you to 5/5 Evolved.
  • Options
    Vid wrote: »
    re: Evolved/ Captain/ Mutated. I have Evolved 4/5 FE, 1 Janeway, 1 Paris. One legendary citation costs less honor than 4 super rares, a lot less. Campaigns provide 1 of each along with a load of other stuff. I think I can wait until the end of the next campaign cycle to see if 2/3 more of Paris or Janeway drop then its easy to make the decision as to which way to go.

At least if you have the slots free you don't have to fuse any Janeways or Paris' until ready to make one 4/4. If you have citations in the bank (or plenty of honor) 4 singles of each gets you to 5/5 Evolved.

True enough however I am only working on my second star on Janeway so even if a Paris dropped before the final Janeway I just got a head start on the next fusion when I get to 4/5 Evolved Janeway I’ll likely be more tentative on which one I fuse first. for the record I would never purchase honor citation I would only use a campaign citation I have far more pressing needs for my honor to go elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    RaraRacing wrote: »

B-4 : I can't imagine you need B-4 to unlock anything ... I've never used him, which node do you need him for? Try Mirror Data or Lal if it is an Android node.

Hi RaraRacing glad your back it’s the prodigy/Android science node from lions den mission I do have crusher technically he can do it but haven’t had the luck and my 4/5 professor can’t do it either his starting roll is too lame I think b-4 is the main one that is a safest bet from what I heard on the forums so I’ve just left that mission till I either immortalise the professor or b-4.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi RaraRacing glad your back it’s the prodigy/Android science node from lions den mission I do have crusher technically he can do it but haven’t had the luck and my 4/5 professor can’t do it either his starting roll is too lame I think b-4 is the main one that is a safest bet from what I heard on the forums so I’ve just left that mission till I either immortalise the professor or b-4.

If that’s the mission I think it is, Crusher isn’t doing the job? If I recall correctly, my immortal Crusher nailed it on his first try, while I spent hundreds of chrons struggling real bad with other Prodigy/Android crew (including B-4, Laas, Reinforcements Stamets, and my 1/5* Dr. Daystrom). Looking back, I should have waited until I cited up Leonardo, as he can beat it on Epic without starbase/collection bonuses at 4/5* and probably 3/5* with decent bonuses.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

If that’s the mission I think it is, Crusher isn’t doing the job? If I recall correctly, my immortal Crusher nailed it on his first try, while I spent hundreds of chrons struggling real bad with other Prodigy/Android crew (including B-4, Laas, Reinforcements Stamets, and my 1/5* Dr. Daystrom). Looking back, I should have waited until I cited up Leonardo, as he can beat it on Epic without starbase/collection bonuses at 4/5* and probably 3/5* with decent bonuses.

I think there is still a margin of error to not crit the node with crusher, perhaps there still is with b-4, but it could have been just bad luck.

And perhaps Leonardo might have just made himself higher on the citation priority list.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is still a margin of error to not crit the node with crusher, perhaps there still is with b-4, but it could have been just bad luck.

And perhaps Leonardo might have just made himself higher on the citation priority list.

Yes ... you can do it with the Wesley from the upcoming event, that's how I did it. He can miss the Crit ... I was lucky to hit it first go. He is better than Da Vinci, who at 1/5 CANNOT Crit the node, needs extra stars.

Just give it a few go's ... waste of a citation if you can actually do it with crew you already have, even though they're not 100% certain. :)
  • Options
    Tried two more times with Crusher managed to do it, I guess I can put him on Ice now as I have Kirk for the event.
  • Options
    Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    I think the best options are saving them for Evolved Janeway or Cheesecake 7 copies.
  • Options
    B4 - which tricky node is this? Into the Lion's Den (SCI Node)? Requires SCI 1121 and he won't come near that even FF/FE
  • Options
    B4 - which tricky node is this? Into the Lion's Den (SCI Node)? Requires SCI 1121 and he won't come near that even FF/FE

without star base or collection bonuses his stats for SCI are 733+(211–452) top end roll plus trait bonuses he can crit that node albeit a small percent chance.
  • Options
    Into the Lions Den - Sci node ...
    WIthout bonuses the only crew i have that can make it ( according to the DNA sheet ) is my 2* Amanda Rogers.
    When adding in bonusses it will include B-4 and Data-Q

It's a tricky node indeed .... and it is one of the few that requires a mature starbase and card collection
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best options are saving them for Evolved Janeway or Cheesecake 7 copies.

Totally agree with @Fi®3wall [BAD]. Long run, the best option is always to plus up a legendary crew member.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

With the current pace of portal updates I rather invest in real estate and cite up event 3/4s which tend to hang around eternally otherwise.

My lizard is 4/5 already and I have no Indi Seven or Mobile Doc anyway. Imho purple citations are too precious to save up for this (except if the to-be-fused purple is 3/4 already and I desperately need the two crew slots - this was the case once for Janeway).
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.