Home Ready Room
Options

Event Crew: Solo Rewards vs. Ranked Rewards

Does the event description reveal which 4* crew are solo rewards which are ranked rewards? For example:
Event Name: On the Backs of Giants
Event Type: Galaxy Event
Event Crew: Honored Owosekun 5* (New), Aleek-Om 4* (New), and Commander Uhura 4* (Existing)

Using Barren Heat as an example:

* Jodmos ~ Aleek-Om = Solo Reward
* Cadet Wesley Crusher ~ Commander Uhura = Ranked Reward

Do I have that right?
"Risk! Risk is our business. Risk is what this starship is all about."
-Captain Kirk, ST:TOS, "Return to Tomorrow"

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Thanks @Travis S McClain ! I have a level 1 Commander Uhura at 1/4* so it's sounding like a good idea to level her. Will keep an eye out for Wednesday's announcement.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greyshade wrote: »
    Thanks @Travis S McClain ! I have a level 1 Commander Uhura at 1/4* so it's sounding like a good idea to level her. Will keep an eye out for Wednesday's announcement.

Yeah, you should definitely make her a priority! In a Galaxy Event, the bonus points work as such:

Featured Crew (Honored Owosekun, Commander Uhura, Aleek-Om): 5x base
    Bonus Crew (variants of Uhura, crew with Innovator trait): 3x base

With the event bonuses, Commander Uhura's stats become:

1/4 (you already have this)
    CMD 1210
    DIP 1820

2/4 (the second star will drop from the Community Rewards during the event)
    CMD 1455
    DIP 2075

That doesn't account for any other bonuses you may have from your Starbase or Collections.
  • Options
    I just unfroze a Mirror Uhura. Have to check my crew for innovators!
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worth pointing out that I've can only remember one event where the new 4* was in the ranked rewards, while the existing crew was in the threshold. That was "Home for the Holidays" in Dec 2018; Disguised Chakotay was the new character, while Tourist Quark was the existing. So it's possible not far from common.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't go "nuts" in defrosting crew for Galaxy events, it is often a waste of Merits to do so ... for example, Mirror Uhura covers DIP (and SEC) but Commander Uhura has the same main skill, so I doubt you'll ever use Mirror Uhura once you have Commander FE at 2/4 ... and Mirror Uhura's SEC is poor, so there will probably be event crew with better stats than her (e.g. the Tactical Burnham we recently had in an event).

Getting Uhura to 2/4 will happen a couple of hours after the event starts ... to make the best use of her ... so build one complete item and hand it in ... just wait a couple of hours until the Community Reward comes in, fuse and start your event ... for Galaxies you dictate your own speed at which you rise up the ranks, so it doesn't matter if you start a couple of hours later, you can still rank high (though not top 25).

--> So ... just defrost the best in category but take into account any non-ff 5*s you might have that might already be enough.
    E.g. We recently all got Phoenix Cochrane (ENG) and you might have picked up a Degra (SCI) from a recent re-run ... Tactical Burnham might be a good choice for SEC ... there are no good MED ... pretty decent start with fairly easily obtainable crew.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »

Don't go "nuts" in defrosting crew for Galaxy events, it is often a waste of Merits to do so ... for example, Mirror Uhura covers DIP (and SEC) but Commander Uhura has the same main skill, so I doubt you'll ever use Mirror Uhura once you have Commander FE at 2/4 ... and Mirror Uhura's SEC is poor, so there will probably be event crew with better stats than her (e.g. the Tactical Burnham we recently had in an event).

Getting Uhura to 2/4 will happen a couple of hours after the event starts ... to make the best use of her ... so build one complete item and hand it in ... just wait a couple of hours until the Community Reward comes in, fuse and start your event ... for Galaxies you dictate your own speed at which you rise up the ranks, so it doesn't matter if you start a couple of hours later, you can still rank high (though not top 25).

--> So ... just defrost the best in category but take into account any non-ff 5*s you might have that might already be enough.
    E.g. We recently all got Phoenix Cochrane (ENG) and you might have picked up a Degra (SCI) from a recent re-run ... Tactical Burnham might be a good choice for SEC ... there are no good MED ... pretty decent start with fairly easily obtainable crew.

This is a great point to make: the number of crew that are useful is quite limited in a Galaxy event. Not only can you use only one at a time, there are only so many combinations of skills and traits that need to be filled. Even at 2/4*, Commander Uhura is likely going to cover plenty of recipes on her own and Aleek-Om can do the same possibly at 1/4* but surely at 2/4*.

Also to keep in mind is that at least the last few Galaxy events have eschewed at least one skill entirely - which skill(s) would be missing isn’t really something we will know until the event starts but can be guessed based on the skills of the three event crew. COM, ENG, SCI, and DIP are sure to be present because those skills are shared by Owo and Uhura. Aleek-Om is a dark horse candidate to have SEC but is unlikely to have MED, so maybe unthaw your best SCI and ENG bonus crew (maybe COM as well, if you have someone better than Uhura) and wait on anyone else until Thursday.

The same advice applies to traits - if you have two popsicles that are roughly equivalent in skill power, you could look to traits to see who will have an edge. Starfleet, Human, and/or Federation are almost certain to be featured traits and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Communicator alongside one or more of Veteran, Explorer, and Resourceful. Whether or not Innovator itself will be a recipe trait isn’t obvious, but if you have Innovators with one of the other traits they will perform better than an Innovator with similar skills that don’t have one of the other traits.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have dancing uhura or augment O’Brien, Herbert rossoff and tactical burnham would be good candidates to unthaw, if you have them in cryo, possibly Zimmerman but I would wait and see if there are eng med builds in the event before doing so. Spread the thawing out over days so you save on merits as well.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    On a side note does anybody think it’s worth pulling Phoenix out of the mailbox I do still have a supply kit running but I do have the bonus crew currently available and I do have Degra, Mirror cochrane, interfaced and assimilated la forge, so I am in two minds, I have the slots but I didn’t see a purpose to claim him until this event.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Example ... I have:

5*
    - Dancing Uhura - 1/5 --> Commander Uhura will likely be better for most options.
    - Degra - 4/5 - ENG 1126 / SCI 1052 --> solid crew.
    - Leonardo da Vinci - 1/5 - outclassed by Degra
    - Phoenix Cochrane - 1/5 - outclassed by Degra
    - Assimilated La Forge - 1/5 - outclassed by Degra
    - Augment Commander O'Brien - 1/5 - 874 SEC --> already out, might see work.
    - Honored Owosekun - 1/5 - SCI 1028 & CMD 569 --> no brainer, scores x5 remember.

4* (immortal unless noted)
    - Commander Uhura - DIP 681 --> defrosted.
    - Mirror Uhura - outclassed by most crew with her skill set.
    - Commander Barclay - outclassed by other crew (those with no comment below are like this one).
    - Dr. Tolian Soran
    - Tactical Burnham - 869 SEC with CMD potential combo --> will defrost, on par with O'Brien.
    - Kurros
    - Lewis Zimmerman - outside MED option, but probably not.
    - Kurak - outclassed by other crew - good option if I had no decent SCI crew.
    - Gralik Durr
    - Alan-A-Dale
    - Herbert Rossoff - CMD 947 --> probably defrost, see how much I use him.
    - Rogue Kim
    - Mirror La forge
    - Icheb
    - Tash
    - David Marcus
    - Hologram Barclay (3/4)
    - Age of Sail La Forge (2/4)

--> so in the end I've got:
    CMD : Owosekun & Rossoff;
    DIP : Uhura;
    SEC : O'Brien & Burnham;
    SCI : Owosekun & Degra;
    ENG : Degra.
    MED : no event crew - so 5/5 Bashir or Cornwell.
    Total cost 300 Merits over 3 days.

ps - I always level up the 4* from thresholds (hopefully Aleek-Om) during galaxies, they usually bring in a bench of SRs once they are 3/4 or 4/4.

EDIT: I wouldn't claim Cochrane until you have the opportunity to add more stars straight away (an event or a portal/merit pull) ... his skill set is fairly common and he doesn't really excel anywhere anymore. I have used him once or twice on voyages during event weekends, but you have a lot more 5* options to choose from than I do.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to wait for stats on Aleek-Om and see what the builds look like before I thaw anyone. But when I do, I will probably look at @RaraRacing 's list, so thanks for that. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Yeah thinking about it further my La Forges and Degra means that I don't think Phoenix Cochrane is going to add much to the table.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

ps - I always level up the 4* from thresholds (hopefully Aleek-Om) during galaxies, they usually bring in a bench of SRs once they are 3/4 or 4/4.

A bit of feedback on the above list now that I've been tapping away for 5 minutes ...

CMD : Owosekun & Rossoff - will keep Quark around until phase two to see if there are Andy changes. Uhura has taken some due to double trait bonus.
    SEC : O'Brien & Burnham - haven't seen a single SEC
    ENG : Degra - there's one ENG build so used him, but have not seen much of this one yet ... at 4/5 he's 1% higher than Owosekun 1/5 who gets double trait bonus.
    MED : no event crew - so 5/5 Bashir or Cornwell - am using Bashir. EDIT: now Aleek-Om at lvl 80 1/4.

So ...
    1. basically the event crew at taking nearly all the builds;
    2. I even went quite far to defrost the above 3 4*s ... but better safe than sorry.
    3. ugh ... MED builds ... will be levelling up Aleek-Om pretty soon that's for sure, Bashir hits 27%, ouch. I'm sure a 2/4 bird will do better. :)
    --> EDIT: Even at lvl 80 1/4 the bird is better than Bashir.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

A bit of feedback on the above list now that I've been tapping away for 5 minutes ...

CMD : Owosekun & Rossoff - will keep Quark around until phase two to see if there are Andy changes. Uhura has taken some due to double trait bonus.
    SEC : O'Brien & Burnham - haven't seen a single SEC
    ENG : Degra - there's one ENG build so used him, but have not seen much of this one yet ... at 4/5 he's 1% higher than Owosekun 1/5 who gets double trait bonus.
    MED : no event crew - so 5/5 Bashir or Cornwell - am using Bashir. EDIT: now Aleek-Om at lvl 80 1/4.

So ...
    1. basically the event crew at taking nearly all the builds;
    2. I even went quite far to defrost the above 3 4*s ... but better safe than sorry.
    3. ugh ... MED builds ... will be levelling up Aleek-Om pretty soon that's for sure, Bashir hits 27%, ouch. I'm sure a 2/4 bird will do better. :)
    --> EDIT: Even at lvl 80 1/4 the bird is better than Bashir.

I’ve found much the same, though the lack of Owo has my list looking a little different:

-Uhura takes all COM slots as well as DIP
    -Leonardo at 5/5* is better than all of the other MED crew I have including Darth Bashir (Warship EMA is admittedly on a voyage right now and I haven’t built recipes since getting my 2/4* Aleek-Om mostly finished with leveling), plus he handles all the SCI slots and some ENG
    -the ENG slots not handled by Leonardo go to Protomorphosis Barclay

I’ll also refrain from icing Herbert and Burnham until after phase change but by now I don’t really expect any SEC slots.