Home The Bridge
Options

New Mirror Voyager chars coming soon?

I know we have a Mirror Janeway already, but maybe we’ll get the rest of the crew too:

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-san-diego-comic-con-IDW-voyager-first-look?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Comments

• Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uncanny the resemblance of the Timeline Original to the comic artist.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good find. I would love to see those characters. And even a legendary Pirate Queen Janeway, should the mood strike DB to add a second Mirror Janeway. ;)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    If IDW wants to sign another cross-promotion deal with DB, I'm sure we'll get another mega event with these. If not, I think DB has enough other characters.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind at all! But I do wonder if the artist who did Chakotay is the same guy that gave us Mirror Duchovny...err, Reed. He legit looks more like Chris Pine than Robert Beltran.
  • Options
    I think it would be really cool if they could add them. More Mirror Characters, and Voyager too! Time to save some dil after elusive treasures just in case.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Pinkyfirst wrote: »
    Maybe Mirror Kim will actually get promoted and Mirror Paris gets to be the unpromoted punchline.

I doubt it. Look at the big gun Kim is carrying. What is he compensating for?
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Maybe Mirror Kim will actually get promoted and Mirror Paris gets to be the unpromoted punchline.

This is hilarious! But I don't think Kim could get promoted in any universe. :D
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    T

I doubt it. Look at the big gun Kim is carrying. What is he compensating for?

He’s compensating for his lack of rank
  • Options

Surprising, he was a lieutenant in Living Witness
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    PinkyfirstPinkyfirst ✭✭✭

A typical interaction after the debriefing when arriving home, regardless of universe.
    j0stq5kvw1nf.jpg
    vdjyib68lxf7.jpg

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I know I'm going to take heat for saying this, but I'm the stick in the mud that always asks how a warlike empire from a mirror Universe somehow makes all of the same decisions in ship design as a peaceful science-driven Federation.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I know I'm going to take heat for saying this, but I'm the stick in the mud that always asks how a warlike empire from a mirror Universe somehow makes all of the same decisions in ship design as a peaceful science-driven Federation.

Voyager was built for speed, maneuverability, extra sensors, and the ability to land on a planet. All of these traits would be useful in a science vessel and a warship. Remember also that Prime Voyager was sent out on a mission to hunt down the Maquis. It was not sent on a mission of peace but one of war.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Voyager was built for speed, maneuverability, extra sensors, and the ability to land on a planet. All of these traits would be useful in a science vessel and a warship. Remember also that Prime Voyager was sent out on a mission to hunt down the Maquis. It was not sent on a mission of peace but one of war.

Compare Voyager to the Defiant, or Prometheus, or even the Akira. Being armed doesn't make you a warship, being a warship makes you a warship.

Voyager is a science and exploration ship which happens to have decent weapons compared to the species it encounters, and a never ending supply of photon torpedoes! But that wasn't its purpose.

Granted, OF COURSE the Terran Empire would want science ships, but they're still a race of conquerors. When's the last time you saw a Klingon science vessel that wasn't primarily a warship?

EDIT: Let's go more broad - my point is that it's just "one step too far-fetched" for me to believe after hundreds of years of starship design, that both universes would continue to have literally the EXACT same ship designs. And YES, before you all correct me, I realize the Terran version of the NX-01 had better tech than the United Earth ship, and yes, I realize this is all just so production can use the same models, but come on! I call shenanigans!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    We only saw Voyager get sent on one Starfleet mission and that was a war mission. As far as credulity goes, I find it far more credible that their ships would be the same shape then that they would have the same name and the same crew. Voyager is a peaceful name which would not fit for mirror universe theme. Further, with all the backstabbing and deaths of crew not only do you need the same people to exist and join starfleet but you need for them to have not killed each other yet. As far as ship design goes, remember that much of Starfleet ship design has to do with the neccesity of creating a warp bubble and the placement of the warp nacelles to facilitate the creation of the warp bubble.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    We only saw Voyager get sent on one Starfleet mission and that was a war mission. As far as credulity goes, I find it far more credible that their ships would be the same shape then that they would have the same name and the same crew.

No, that's silly, it wasn't a "WAR" mission. A war mission is when the Terran Empress sends you to Qo'nos and has you bombard the entire planet from orbit until there's nothing left. A war mission is when Captain Killy slaughters half of Betazed. Hell, a war mission is when Captain Sisko takes the cloaked Defiant behind enemy lines to attack Dominion targets.

Voyager went on a search and recovery mission to the Badlands. They had guns in case they needed them, but they were never going to shoot first.

But yes, the ship names are an excellent point as well. Contrast it to Star Wars, where all of the ISDs are named things like "Punisher, Executor, Agonizer." Of course Star Wars is often TOO simplistic, but I'll save that battle for another time. Love ya.
  • Options
    We only saw Voyager get sent on one Starfleet mission and that was a war mission. As far as credulity goes, I find it far more credible that their ships would be the same shape then that they would have the same name and the same crew. Voyager is a peaceful name which would not fit for mirror universe theme. Further, with all the backstabbing and deaths of crew not only do you need the same people to exist and join starfleet but you need for them to have not killed each other yet. As far as ship design goes, remember that much of Starfleet ship design has to do with the neccesity of creating a warp bubble and the placement of the warp nacelles to facilitate the creation of the warp bubble.

I seem to remember an explanation somewhere that the smaller the differences between two timelines, the closer they are in temporal proximity. Therefore, a ship and crew are more likely to encounter their counterparts (or displace them) because the fact that both exist in their respective timelines means that they are closer in temporal proximity.

All that said... @(HGH)Apollo has a pretty good point: why would an imperial civilization name ships Enterprise, Voyager, and Discovery? (And that's if we chalk ship design up to temporal proximity.)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to think of the mirror universe from a multiverse perspective. So the mirror universe we see in each of the episodes is really just one of an infinite number of mirrors. As such, it's perfectly possible for ship design to have deviated, and crew to be dead, etc., in lots of universes, but also to find a mirror universe that has everything we'd expect for crew/ships/history etc. in spite of all the personality, cultural, and governmental shifts.

Extrapolating further... it also means that the universe that we see each time our prime heroes step across is not the same one we see in subsequent cross-overs. In other words, SIsko's mirror universe is not simply a linearly-aged version of the universe Kirk entered. Rather, it is a new universe that just happens to share most of the features of the one Kirk visited. Perhaps that similarity is what makes it accessible, rather than crossing into a universe where (for example) the Borg won and assimilated everything in sight. That universe would be so different from the prime universe that it might be scientifically inaccessible (and narratively impractical for the writers).

Anyhow, that's how I reconcile these things in my head. Don't know if it makes sense to anyone else.
  • Options
    wfgwfg ✭✭
    Wonder if the writers for this comic will remember that mirror Tuvok appeared in a DS9 episode (sans goatee), forget all about it, or remember but ignore that it ever happened.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    wfg wrote: »
    Wonder if the writers for this comic will remember that mirror Tuvok appeared in a DS9 episode (sans goatee), forget all about it, or remember but ignore that it ever happened.

I figure it's pretty easy to write away. Even if this takes place in the exact same universe (which is debatable, based on the TNG MU comics), there's no reason that both Voyagers were called to the Delta Quadrant at the exact same time.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I seem to remember an explanation somewhere that the smaller the differences between two timelines, the closer they are in temporal proximity. Therefore, a ship and crew are more likely to encounter their counterparts (or displace them) because the fact that both exist in their respective timelines means that they are closer in temporal proximity.

All that said... @(HGH)Apollo has a pretty good point: why would an imperial civilization name ships Enterprise, Voyager, and Discovery? (And that's if we chalk ship design up to temporal proximity.)

Enterprise is a ship name that goes back a loooong way...perhaps in the Mirror Universe, the sailing vessels named Enterprise were particularly notable for defeating enemies and/or enslaving people? It stands to reason the same could be true for Voyager and Discovery - throwbacks to a time when not all vessels were named Avenger, Charon, and other things more appropriate for that universe.
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Stick to canon, please.
  • Options
    I'd be fine with it if some of these were added. Mirror Torres and Mirror Kim look interesting and as Elim Lorca mentioned, a 5* Pirate Janeway would be fun too.

voy_mirror_cover02.jpg

(I just added the image from the link that Admiral Aki shared, in case someone wants to see it in the discussion without opening the article :D )
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clone wrote: »
    Stick to canon, please.

So, YOUR definition of "canon" or bust.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely go for this as well. Why do all Vulcans in the Mirror Universe have beards?
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    I'd be fine with it if some of these were added. Mirror Torres and Mirror Kim look interesting and as Elim Lorca mentioned, a 5* Pirate Janeway would be fun too.

voy_mirror_cover02.jpg

(I just added the image from the link that Admiral Aki shared, in case someone wants to see it in the discussion without opening the article :D )

But where is Janeway's eyepatch?

51skklt6dzgz.jpg
    Let’s fly!