Home The Bridge
Options

Idea for Tuesdays: Decrepit Legendaries

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
I should have waited for a Tuesday to post this, but the idea is just begging to get out.

For those who don't know me, I post things on the forum.

Now that we have my background established, I'd also like to enlist some help from old school players who know how things have developed and progressed. Particularly when Tuesday packs and event packs started. Please bear with me and you'll see why.

I had this idea to start a pool of legendaries that have pretty much been stat-creeped to permanent inferiority. Well tonight I thought of a way to determine which legendaries go into this pool. They get added on the three-year anniversary of their introduction. (This is where more experienced players tell me if three years is reasonable, or if it should be adjusted.)

I need a name for these older legendaries in this new pool, so I will jokingly call them Decrepit Legendaries, or DL's for short, because decrepit is a funny word. My idea is to have a separate portal for these DL's. I would like a little input on how the portal should work since I have a couple different possibilities.

1) DL's are in the pool with similarly aged SR's and they pretty much work like premium pulls with a modified pool of crew available. The cost is 50% of premium pull (negotiable).

2) They are all beholds. Because the SR's aren't even worth messing with and we are willing to forfeit the honor from 3* crew and schematics. The cost is 60% of a premium pull (also negotiable).

Now some fun stuff. Q only feels like opening this portal for 24 hours every seven days. Probably. Sometimes the stars may misalign and cheese him off and he can't be bothered to open the portal. (This happens when there was a rerun three years ago.)

Now, there was another idea to add legendaries to voyages. Whoever posted that, feel free to take a bow here because I'm going to work it into this post. You know those dilemmas that drop schematics? Yeah... Let's replace those. Let's use the pool of DL's and randomly drop one of them instead of schematics.

I'm having fun with this idea, so let's throw a tentative start date out there. Convergence Day. Because who is going to talk Q into doing this? Convergence Day Quark, of course. Is this just because I don't have Convergence Day Quark? Maybe. But this gives devs some time to work on it and adds to the Convergence Day festivities.

Let's talk viability. Question one: do players want this? Idk, probably. Leave a comment and let me know. Question Two: what does DB stand to gain? Well the way I see it, three types of players will try this deal. The experienced player who has half of the DL's at 1/5 to 3/5. They can take a chance at adding stars. Then there's the kind of experienced player (me) who has some of the DL's at 1/5. I'll try to add stars, but will inevitably end up with more 1/5's and buy more slots. Then there's newer players who just need crew more powerful than Admiral Picard. Little do they know, but they will also need to buy slots later.

Oh... And the existing Legendaries that were Tuesday pack only... Should they be added to DL pool sooner than, later than, or the same amount of time as the other DL's? Or not at all? Would that cheapen Tuesday packs or just give you a reason to spend dilithium and finish them?

Should there be an option to buy DL beholds with honor in the Honor Hall? Or would that be a waste of honor that no one would buy?

Ok, I'll stop there. Long live the forum!
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I would like to say my favorite part of your post is when you said, "For those that don't know me, I post things on the forum." As far as your idea goes I would like legendaries dropping in voyages. Any legendaries. Though for me what I would like is for DB to take old legendaries and increase their stats. Not all of them but one a month on the two year anniversary of their in game release. It would make some of these old cards valuable again, would add some fun lottery feel to the game and it would not hurt those people that already had them immortalized. It would help them and make them happy.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    First I would like to say my favorite part of your post is when you said, "For those that don't know me, I post things on the forum." As far as your idea goes I would like legendaries dropping in voyages. Any legendaries. Though for me what I would like is for DB to take old legendaries and increase their stats. Not all of them but one a month on the two year anniversary of their in game release. It would make some of these old cards valuable again, would add some fun lottery feel to the game and it would not hurt those people that already had them immortalized. It would help them and make them happy.

I can't remember if I posted it, but I had a thought that DB should "rebalance" crew as they are re-used as existing in an event or all of the crew in a rerun. Since reruns happen once a month, it would be in line with your thoughts.

I'm also quite pleased that someone enjoyed my background. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Its a better way than letting those DL's gather dust in one's slots.
    Similarly, I wish DB would let you buy a "powerpak"....of some kind.....to repower those older Legendaries who are casualties of the inevitable stat creep. Say.....Command+50, etc
  • Options
    I love the concept, and the name, though DB would never go for it, obviously. Perhaps Legacy Crew?
  • Options
    Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    This post gave me a good chuckle. Cheers
  • Options
    I like all of your ideas and I would probably buy the packs, especially in the beginning, when there is a smaller amount of crew and a higher chance to get the one you want (Arachnia in my case :D ).

Maybe to avoid the gradual increase in available crew the packs could change once every few months, so that there's always the same limited amount of legendaries in them? And the old packs or the old legendary pool could be put into the honor hall for cheaper begolds?

I also like the idea of voyage drops instead of ship schematics. Those who really need the schematics, won't make it to part II of a dilemma anyway and to those who get them they're only replicator rations.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Fir3wall wrote: »
    This post gave me a good chuckle. Cheers

I typed it 2 hours after my bedtime. There was some slap happy going on. :D
    I love the concept, and the name, though DB would never go for it, obviously. Perhaps Legacy Crew?

Legacy Legendaries is a much better name for marketing than I came up with. Thank you! :)
    I like all of your ideas and I would probably buy the packs, especially in the beginning, when there is a smaller amount of crew and a higher chance to get the one you want (Arachnia in my case :D ).

Maybe to avoid the gradual increase in available crew the packs could change once every few months, so that there's always the same limited amount of legendaries in them? And the old packs or the old legendary pool could be put into the honor hall for cheaper begolds?

I also like the idea of voyage drops instead of ship schematics. Those who really need the schematics, won't make it to part II of a dilemma anyway and to those who get them they're only replicator rations.

This is a very good point. I thought about it, then forgot to add it to the OP. My solution was to sell the packs from the original event at 75% of their normal price a week or a few days before they get added to the pool of Legacy Legendaries. Thank you for bringing this up!

Edit: 75% is negotiable, but the point is that the discount is not as deep as the Legacy Legendary packs.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also instead of just relying on reruns why not just put an older legendary card in the 400k reward tier in events perhaps older variants or with the right traits where applicable.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Any ideas to help with all the old 1/5 legendaries all of us are carting around are welcome. There's no incentive to use honor on them and they just sit there, waiting uselessly.
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

For those who don't know me, I post things on the forum.

This made me laugh 😂
    For those that don't know our fleet, he posts even more in there. Probably more than I do. Which is quite the achievement.

Good post 👍 I like the legends on voyages idea. Not sure I'll buy more packs unless they are heavily discounted or have a Seven in there somewhere.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    I found it. @SpukkZ had the idea to add old Legendaries to voyages.
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    1. I think fiddling with the stats of older cards is just a really bad idea.

e.g. I have a 1/5 Kai Opaka (the only 5* I ever got from a Merit pull) ... but she's just a poor man's Minuet, and that card is not even that good ... so what would you do to make Kai Opaka better? You'd just end up making a copy of Minuet ... and then she'd still be pants because many have Minuet at 4+/5. The best thing that can happen here is that I get 4 more copies so I can put Opaka out of her misery and freeze her ... So ...

2. I would love the opportunity to get 5*s in in other ways ... the suggestions above:

- Add a select group to Voyages drops after 8 hrs;
    - Add one to 400k VP to each event from relevant, selected older crew;
    - 20k Honor for a behold of selected, older 5*s;
    - Some sort of Dil purchase, which happens on Tuesday, and that offers 3x 5* beholds from selected older crew (sorta like a better Merit pull).

are pretty good.

That answers some of my original questions. Plus the 8+ hour Legacy Legendary drop is a good tweak. 20k honor seems like a good price for a LL behold. And it covers option 2 in the OP with the addition of a 3x purchase.

Your addition of existing crew to threshold rewards is pretty solid too. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea a lot. I’m maybe a little more on the fence with rebalancing old crew - that might cut in to new crew sales more than DB would like - but additional ways to show some love to the long-languishing crew hanging around the Ten Forwards of our ships that don’t go on missions would be nice.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it might be a stretch to suggest these discounted Legacy packs should have all beholds, but how about instead of them dropping typical ship schematics they ONLY drop the very uncommon 2*-3* ship schematics that are currently very impractical to collect. This could also lend itself to a future ship collection being more viable.
  • Options
    I think it might be a stretch to suggest these discounted Legacy packs should have all beholds, but how about instead of them dropping typical ship schematics they ONLY drop the very uncommon 2*-3* ship schematics that are currently very impractical to collect. This could also lend itself to a future ship collection being more viable.

I see your point on beholds. How about just a random legendary from the pool?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the schematics idea. I only just got the final level for the 2* Hirogen ship early this week or late last week while spending excess credits. The other way to help with this would be to add a guaranteed schematics slot to the basic 10x credit pulls, with that guaranteed slot having mostly 2* schematics with some 1*/3* schematics as a probable alternative and a low chance at any in-portal 4*/5* schematics.
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    I like these ideas and the name "Legacy Legendaries." I think they have been trying to partially address this with the $10 offers they have for older 5* bonus crew for events, though I haven't see that recently.

I personally believe that certain older 5*s should be rebalanced as well. Mirror Kirk is the first that comes to mind, mostly because his base is poor, his prof is mediocre, and he has 2 skills, and at 1/5 he contributes nothing as a bonus crew (even FF he gets matched or outclassed by newer 1/5s and some 4/4s). Captain Scott needs it the most, however. Someone mentioned Kai Opaka; at least she has some gauntlet use with unique traits and a prof comparable to Minuet (and Ambassador Troi, and Smitten Picard...).

I think I would like it more if they removed those older legendaries from the normal portal as well. I used to do the Honor begolds until I started to get some poor choices (like one with Mirror T'Pol, Orion Vina, and Sulliban Reed) and started FF'ing 5*s. If DB removes them, they may see more people buy offers because the begolds are less likely to be trash and/or full of old 5/5s.

Another game I play recently did this with their old 5*s (some of which were still useful because of certain game mechanics), and each week, they have a pack that gives a higher chance of getting certain old 5*s while giving a standard chance for any 5* (including new ones). The community was upset that they didn't do something else instead (again, something specific to it's game mechanics that isn't possible in Timelines), but I think a similar idea could be possible here. They can still include them in themed packs.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just not Shinzon
  • Options
    “For those who dont know me” lol

I think anyway to incorporate 5* over 1 yr old (excluding honor hall, mega, gauntlet) is a good idea.

Voyage drops
    Increase droprate in portal. There are sooo many now.
    Get rid of tue new 5* incorporate those crew to events.

The 5* pool is soo diluted now, and yes the older ones dont stack up. I really think increased droprate should happen. (In addition to some other ideas). Especially with the upcoming portal release it will just dilute the pool further and no one can ever FF a 5*. They arent worth what they used to be. There are soooo many now.
  • Options
    Just not Shinzon

Especially Shinzon. How else will people freeze him. :D
    I know... The answer is that you should have airlocked him to begin with. :)
    Ikrit wrote: »
    I personally believe that certain older 5*s should be rebalanced as well. Mirror Kirk is the first that comes to mind, mostly because his base is poor, his prof is mediocre, and he has 2 skills, and at 1/5 he contributes nothing as a bonus crew (even FF he gets matched or outclassed by newer 1/5s and some 4/4s). Captain Scott needs it the most, however. Someone mentioned Kai Opaka; at least she has some gauntlet use with unique traits and a prof comparable to Minuet (and Ambassador Troi, and Smitten Picard...).

I don't think rebalancing and separating would work together. It would make the old stuff too appealing at a discount and the new stuff not appealing enough. After thinking about it, it should be one or the other.

Your idea about removing the old from the regular portal is pretty good. I hadn't thought of that, so thank you. :)

And @MirrorVerse Jc , it might be worthwhile for DB to keep the current Tuesday packs. There are long term players, whales, and lucky ducks who like to try for the Tuesday packs as collectors and stat freaks who don't want to be surpassed. (FYI, I will be with you in avoiding these.) But your idea about drop rate is tops. That might be preferable to DB over discounting. Or maybe some combination of both.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭

I don't think rebalancing and separating would work together. It would make the old stuff too appealing at a discount and the new stuff not appealing enough. After thinking about it, it should be one or the other.

Your idea about removing the old from the regular portal is pretty good. I hadn't thought of that, so thank you. :)

I suppose I should have been clearer. I meant it for the crew that are very clearly awful and have been awful since day 1. Ones that have to be at 4/5 or 5/5 to compete with good 1/5s released more recently (I'm not talking about the exceptional ones like Professor Sato, just good ones).

Let's say that the worst old ones have only 70% (no idea what a real number is) of the voyage score of comparable new ones (by comparable, I mean with the same skills and similar stat profiles, like Kai Opaka and Minuet both having Dip/Cmd, high Dip prof and low Cmd prof, and relatively equal Dip and Cmd bases (their stats are very close already, but this was the first example I thought of)). What they could do is bump up the score to maybe 80%, making it so that they don't excel in base or prof more than they already do (like increasing Seven of Nine's base by 10% won't make her OP, while increasing her prof would. Meanwhile, Lt Cmdr Jadzia Dax still has great base but poor prof, though AF Jadzia gets the same Sci base with only 4/5).

The focus would be on the worst offenders, the ones nobody wants except completionists and fans of the character who don't mind giving up a slot for all eternity (I'm looking at you, Mirror Kirk).

The exception to my rebalancing plan would be Captain Scott, who is the only 5* (or 4*) with one skill. He would get at least Cmd and then be balanced accordingly. I like the episode and character, but he is just so bad that I dread getting him from a merit pack.
  • Options
    I'd say the clarification cleaned it right up. I see what you meant now, @Ikrit . :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    I'd say the clarification cleaned it right up. I see what you meant now, @Ikrit . :)

And here I was, adding even more to my wall of text via editing :smiley:

I do want to add that the ones rebalanced still wouldn't be as strong as the good old ones. It's more that they would be less crummy.
  • Options
    @Elim Lorca [10F] love your thoughts.
    There are always complaints on tue of boredom and dislike of tue packs. This idea of integrating tue new 5* into events comes from the majority of tue posting. Making a REDUCED (5* only, behold) pack of old crew for tue might drum up more excitement about those tue packs.
    Adding them to voyages, and increasing droprate in portal are 3 ways most reasonable to accomplish easily.
  • Options
    I think the all behold aspect is a good idea that should be kept. My reasoning is that the older the crew the more people are going to have it immortalised. All beholds makes the pack more appealing to long time captains.
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I like the idea of dropping old 5*s from voyages... maybe at the 10 hour?

I also think it might be an idea to retire and re-introduce some of those cards. Say, at the 3 year anniversary, the card no longer becomes available in any way shape or form, but then it gets re-introduced with new stats and new graphics. But, let the old card be fusible into the new card - so if you have the original Mirror Kirk at 2/5, and fuse him with Mirror Kirk 2.0 at 1/5 to make a 3/5 Mirror Kirk 2.0

I think it'd also be nice for anyone who has Mirror Kirk immortalized, they'd automatically get Mirror Kirk 2.0 at 1/5 AFTER the introductory event, but that might be asking too much.
  • Options
    Just put old golds in a collection with a stat booster for that collection that only applies to the cards inside.

For instance, release day golds could be in a collection that gives them a 1~10% across the board stat and proficiency boost as you collect them.
  • Options
    Just put old golds in a collection with a stat booster for that collection that only applies to the cards inside.

For instance, release day golds could be in a collection that gives them a 1~10% across the board stat and proficiency boost as you collect them.

Thats a smart way to do it
  • Options
    Captain SushiCaptain Sushi ✭✭✭✭
    Ikrit wrote: »

The exception to my rebalancing plan would be Captain Scott, who is the only 5* (or 4*) with one skill.

crn4lh8ebkdn.png