Home Strange New Worlds

CBS/Viacom Merger Anticipated (Again) on 8 August

Trekcore reports a lot of insider buzz about that long-anticipated CBS/Viacom merger will finally materialize and be announced on 8 August, when both companies present their latest financial reports. The desire to consolidate Star Trek seems to be a leading concern, though they also make mention of Mission: Impossible being divvied up the same way (CBS owning TV, Viacom owning movies).

Honestly, I'm even more intrigued by the possibility of someone who actually cares about the Paramount film catalog taking over ownership of that. Every other major Hollywood studio has operated some service to release older films on made-on-demand ("MOD") discs except Viacom, who instead licensed the distribution rights to more than 600 Paramount titles to Warner Archive Collection in 2012. If they incorporated the Paramount film catalog into the CBS All Access service, and really did it up right, that could make it second only to The Criterion Channel for me.

Comments

• ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trekcore reports a lot of insider buzz about that long-anticipated CBS/Viacom merger will finally materialize and be announced on 8 August, when both companies present their latest financial reports. The desire to consolidate Star Trek seems to be a leading concern, though they also make mention of Mission: Impossible being divvied up the same way (CBS owning TV, Viacom owning movies).

Honestly, I'm even more intrigued by the possibility of someone who actually cares about the Paramount film catalog taking over ownership of that. Every other major Hollywood studio has operated some service to release older films on made-on-demand ("MOD") discs except Viacom, who instead licensed the distribution rights to more than 600 Paramount titles to Warner Archive Collection in 2012. If they incorporated the Paramount film catalog into the CBS All Access service, and really did it up right, that could make it second only to The Criterion Channel for me.

It seems appropriate that, on the first day of the August Mega event, the companies will be discussing their latest 10-Q reports to the SEC. 😇
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems appropriate that, on the first day of the August Mega event, the companies will be discussing their latest 10-Q reports to the SEC. 😇

Damn. I've been running Augment shuttles instead of Section 31!
    edited August 2019

The SCI & MED components will come in handy, though. 🖖🏻

Viacom is dragging its heels again ... 👿

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/07/cbs-viacom-merger-deal-wont-be-announced-thursday-as-originally-expected.html
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

The SCI & MED components will come in handy, though. 🖖🏻

Viacom is dragging its heels again ... 👿

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/07/cbs-viacom-merger-deal-wont-be-announced-thursday-as-originally-expected.html

As it happened, those SCI & MED components did very much come in handy, although Riker Q surprised me by depleting my cache of 2* Security Codes.

And come on, Viacom. Warm those cold feet and let's get this done! I might feel differently if it looked like Viacom had any real direction, but they haven't in quite some time. As a movie fan, I'd be content if they just got new leadership, but the merger makes a lot of sense since these shows and films were a family in the first place. They're still faring better than poor MGM, but that's an awfully low bar to clear.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think CBS would see a significant bump in All Access subscriptions if they were to add Viacom's content? I was hoping that would be a motivator for Viacom to have a streaming app for their content.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think CBS would see a significant bump in All Access subscriptions if they were to add Viacom's content? I was hoping that would be a motivator for Viacom to have a streaming app for their content.

Given the content vacuum that is Disney right now, I would think CBS execs are drooling over the idea of adding anything that would help them keep pace in the streaming market.
    edited August 2019
    This is an interesting perspective on the new ViacomCBS entity:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/08/why-viacom-and-cbs-had-merge-survive/596338/
    🖖
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should hire Kevin Feige of Marvel and let him make a bunch of trek movies for a trek universe similar to how he created the MCU for Marvel.
    Let’s fly!