Home The Bridge
Options

I want to point this out to DB before the next skirmish event...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It's an interesting dynamic.

Players who spend to get extra crew or who try to level lot's of crew really quickly, don't like galaxies because they use all their resources on crew.

Players who take their time on crew and/or don't spend, have plenty of resources for galaxies if they put in the time for voyages.

You can lessen the strain of either leveling crew or participating in galaxies by either:
    1. Giving the game lots of time by farming as much as you can in a skirmish at a 60% chron savings
    2. Giving the game money for chrons

In other words, it sounds like a well designed game.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

Players who spend to get extra crew or who try to level lot's of crew really quickly, don't like galaxies because they use all their resources on crew.

Players who take their time on crew and/or don't spend, have plenty of resources for galaxies if they put in the time for voyages.

You can lessen the strain of either leveling crew or participating in galaxies by either:
    1. Giving the game lots of time by farming as much as you can in a skirmish at a 60% chron savings

Does the fact that this thread had 90 posts prior to yours reinforce that the game is well designed or contradict that conclusion? :P

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the controversy. Does it seem like a flaw that a certain event type's only reward is a single primary stat? Yes. We would say the same if every faction, galaxy, or hybrid was designed the same way. And rightly so.

Can DB turn the ship on a dime? Nope. Hopefully no one expects that. Will it change ast some point? I tend to think Shan brings player concerns to the devs and changes get implemented. 90+ posts on this thread leads me to believe that it will get due attention.

Will anyone be mad if the next skirmish reward is something other than SCI? I sure hope not. Because holy cow... What an odd reason to get your undies in a twist.

Are skirmishes better than galaxy events? Normally I would say yes. But I'm too worn out now. :(
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options

Are skirmishes better than galaxy events? Normally I would say yes. But I'm too worn out now. :(

I'd say for people dedicated to the game and with a fair amount of free time, sure. To anyone with a family and/or very active weekend life, skirmishes are quite the double edged sword. Of course it's nice to get bonus honor, but the time commitment to get a large amount of it is horrendous.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I understand why so many people think galaxy events are the optimal path for newer players to advance. And before all event thresholds were extended to 350k VP, I would have agreed. Before the threshold extensions, they were the optimal path for newer players to advance. It's the path I pursued on my main account, with great success. But galaxy events use a lot of the same components newer players need to level pretty much every crew in the game. On my alt account ({DD} Baby Smelly), I have to farm way more items than I do on my main account. So newer players have to spend a lot more chrons on a galaxy event than more established players. In a skirmish event, newer players can level up their chars while competing in the event. It's not at all uncommon to be able to FE 10+ chars during a skirmish, using a fraction of the chrons that you would need to do that at any other time.

And I'll add one more tidbit of evidence to support that claim... at the conclusion of this last skirmish, {DD} Baby Smelly is level 55.

Collections
    Common 26/27 Immortalized (missing only Stargazer Picard)
    Uncommon 48/51 Immortalized (missing L'Rell, Off-Duty Stamets, & Honor Doc)
    Rare 78/79 Immortalized (missing 1 star on Commander Chekov)

In addition to those, all my FF chars are now FE.
    My 2/4 Liason Torres is FE.
    I have 24/34 legendarys FE.

And with only 140 crew slots at my disposal, I won't be equipping any non-legendary chars that aren't FF, since the odds are too high that I may have to airlock some of them in the future. This is a vastly different situation than my main account was in at level 55.

If an account isn't spending much and is running 6 voyage dilemma's a day, I'm at a loss as to how you aren't piling up chrons, regardless of skirmishing or not. Eventually you reach the point where there is nothing to do but farm items in skrimishes and spend them in galaxies runs for multiple stars on 1/5s.

My year old (started last august) VIP0 account is at 145 slots, 85k chrons banked, 236 unique immortals (88 purple and 3 golds), with a bunch of other non ff golds and 3/4 purples leveled. I haven't skirmished a lot on that account, but do put in some hours to get past at least the 350k thresholds. One of the first things I did while I was trainer starved was build up a chron bank of 10k+ so that I could go for rank in any galaxy I wanted the rank purple ff or the gold 1/5 to improve voyages. I've had all my ff purple crew and useful golds leveled within an hour of getting them for the last 6-8 months or so and have just been growing the chron balance from there.

Ideally I would be skirmishing it all away to farm honor and items for galaxies since it pulls in enough chrons to level the drip of new crew I get, but as its an alt I don't have the time for that there.

I bolded the key word in your statement. My focus has been to turn "eventually" into "ASAP". I was also pointing out that at 25 weeks of daily play, my alt account is finally at that stage that chrons will pile up, because from here on out, I only have to level and/or freeze any incoming legendarys or FF chars I pick up.

This is just the method I utilized to get to myself into this position, and I'm not suggesting there aren't other, equally effective ways to get there. I chose this method because I knew crew slots were going to be a bigger headache on my alt account than on my main account. I focused on those 1-3* chars early for the collection bonuses, and because I didn't want to have to chase them down one at a time later, once my crew slots were full of chars that I didn't want to airlock.
    I understand why so many people think galaxy events are the optimal path for newer players to advance. And before all event thresholds were extended to 350k VP, I would have agreed. Before the threshold extensions, they were the optimal path for newer players to advance. It's the path I pursued on my main account, with great success. But galaxy events use a lot of the same components newer players need to level pretty much every crew in the game. On my alt account ({DD} Baby Smelly), I have to farm way more items than I do on my main account. So newer players have to spend a lot more chrons on a galaxy event than more established players. In a skirmish event, newer players can level up their chars while competing in the event. It's not at all uncommon to be able to FE 10+ chars during a skirmish, using a fraction of the chrons that you would need to do that at any other time.

And I'll add one more tidbit of evidence to support that claim... at the conclusion of this last skirmish, {DD} Baby Smelly is level 55.

Collections
    Common 26/27 Immortalized (missing only Stargazer Picard)
    Uncommon 48/51 Immortalized (missing L'Rell, Off-Duty Stamets, & Honor Doc)
    Rare 78/79 Immortalized (missing 1 star on Commander Chekov)

In addition to those, all my FF chars are now FE.
    My 2/4 Liason Torres is FE.
    I have 24/34 legendarys FE.

And with only 140 crew slots at my disposal, I won't be equipping any non-legendary chars that aren't FF, since the odds are too high that I may have to airlock some of them in the future. This is a vastly different situation than my main account was in at level 55.

Why are you using yourself as an example though? You are not a newer player when you have all common, uncommon and rare crew finished essentially. That's easily mid-game if not late game, as you've got piles of trainers and faction equipment coming in to build 10 crew during a skirmish.

A newer player imo should focus on maxium benefit for their limited trainers, which is cadet and SR power creep crew to maximize cadet warping and voyage length until you have built up legends (which you've already done).

I used myself as an example because I've only been playing that account daily for 25 weeks, which imo, is still relatively new. I only maxed out my first 5* ship about a week ago. And had I not used one month of daily card dil specifficaly to use for extra dabo spins, I wouldn't even be close to having a maxed 5* ship. But maybe you disagree that 25 weeks is still early, and if so, that's fine too.

It's your doggedness that's the problem. Despite admitting that there's more than one way you keep coming on here and behaving as if skirmishes are the be all and end all, to the point of complaining that the crew from skirmishes are very similar. Skirmishes are not the fastest way to get ranked legendaries. Galaxies are for certain, as you can rank in Galaxy the week you start playing if you want. If you focus on one event type as you have done, then you should be able to rank in every Galaxy by just saving chrons and being extremely focussed on which crew to level. It also takes considerably less actual weekend *time* to rank in Galaxy than it does in Skirmish.

Skirmishes are a great event and if you are into collecting the crew too then they are more efficient. But the idea that they are the *best* way to do things is clearly silly and more importantly runs completely contrary to the actual experience of most of the players here.

Edited to add that of course they both work really well together, once you have the chron engine running, with skirmishes being used to prep for your Galaxy events, so that Galaxies are costless.

Ok, please don't take this as an insult, because I promise it's not intended as one. I think that statement I bolded is wrong. I don't mean just a little wrong. I mean I think it's completely and utterly not possible. However, I do think it would be very interesting to see someone try to do it.