Home Make It So!

Fleet-Based Gauntlets

"A Gauntlet may have up to 200 Captains". So here's what I'm thinking:
  • Only the Admiral could enter their fleet into a Gauntlet.
  • Everybody in that fleet is automatically added to that Gauntlet's roster.
  • Let the computer pair fleets smaller than 50 members. Your 22 member fleet gets put on a team with a 28 member fleet, that kind of thing. Solo players have a fleet of one for this purpose.
  • At the end of the Gauntlet, each team receives tiered-based rewards. Maybe some of those spiffy loot crates?

There are six opponents per match, so statistically, you're bound to be up against a teammate frequently. Do you pick someone else, even if that match is the most favorable to you? Do you throw the match?

"But not everybody can just log in and put together a team simultaneously!"

The Gauntlet would automatically pick each player's team for them, choosing their top five crew as auto-sorted. This may not give you the team you'd pick on your own, but everyone would be in the same boat. To compensate, there would be no Featured Skill, but Trait combinations would remain in place.

(Or maybe Featured Skill remains a thing and the algorithm picks your top five based on that?)

I dunno. There are obviously some key logistical things to figure out first, but that's for the people who actually get paid to develop things for this game. I'm just brainstormin' here.

Comments

• I like this idea. It would be nice to have something more fleet-centric in the game. Squadrons have essentially been a non-component, and asides from bonuses fleets are very much left behind in the grand scheme of STT.
    Would this replace the gauntlet or be an additional form of gauntlet?
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pinkyfirst wrote: »
    I like this idea. It would be nice to have something more fleet-centric in the game. Squadrons have essentially been a non-component, and asides from bonuses fleets are very much left behind in the grand scheme of STT.
    Would this replace the gauntlet or be an additional form of gauntlet?

I was thinking it could just be a sort of alternate Gauntlet, with the existing version open for players who prefer to go solo. Though maybe it would be more practical for Squadrons, rather than Fleets?
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    This will never happen for various reasons.
    And in my personal opinion, i don t need it at all. :)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
    This will never happen for various reasons.
    And in my personal opinion, i don t need it at all. :)

Well, that settles that. Have you handed down rulings on all the other request threads, or is this one special?
  • If it were limited to a single fleet then this would allow fleets to engineer ranked finishes and long streaks, e.g. one player enters full strength crew and everyone else enters the z team. Hey presto you have merit free 300+ streak and a first place finish. Rinse and repeat for the next fleet member 48 hours later.
  • Just DB doing something along these lines, would really generate a lot of renewed interest in the Gauntlet and also pump some fun into the game.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
    A variation occurred to me today. Instead of being a whole fleet, we could compete as Squadrons. This way, even if you encountered another fleet member, there would still be incentive for competition.

The other part of this idea I had was that each Squadron member would put up one of their crew members to share with the other four, and that's how the crew for that Gauntlet would be generated.

This does leave the matter of walls, which are as bad as they are in part because some players will use more than one copy of a given crew member. So what if the Squadron roster only allowed one copy to be contributed? Example: I've unlocked more Collection bonuses, so my crew have slightly better stats than someone else's. However, maybe we're better off using their Locutus instead of mine because I have Juliana Tainer and no one else in our squadron does.

There would be squadrons who would create spreadsheets and algorithms to calculate which crew member each Squadron member should pick, but I suspect most of us aren't that committed. It could even make Gauntlets a little fun, getting to play with someone else's toys.

Anyway, there's more than enough here for someone at DB to work from if they should see any merit to the general idea. If not, whatever.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm torn on this idea. On one hand, it's something fresh and it would make fleets a little more important. On the other hand, I would hate to see whale fleets form to dominate this feature. I like seeing whales and f2p in the same fleet. Or fleets of older players snubbing newer players who do not have the gauntlet exclusive crew. These last two factors can also apply to fleets making elite squadrons and leaving others behind.

If there are ways to mitigate my concerns about elitism, it would be a lot easier to get behind the idea.
    Farewell 🖖