Home The Bridge
Options

Arena

Have they changed the algorithm that controls the Arena battles?

In the last few weeks my number of wins have greatly dropped. My level (Top 1 to 5%) has not changed. I tracked my win-loss for a week with the follow criteria.

--Commander Division
--Same Ship at the same level
--Same Crew (my crew is at max level)

Over 37 battles my record was 4 wins and 33 losses.
Close battles (win or loss with less than 25% difference in remaining hull) 6
Total blow outs (loss with opponent having greater than 75% hull remaining) 15

I would think that with the same level ship and the same crew that my win-loss should be near 50% not 10.8%.

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can have full shields and hull and get blown away with a fricken slingshot. And my win percentage is about what yours is. I average one or two wins per day of ten arena battles
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Commander Division is particularly annoying with maintaining a ranking. My dead-eye estimate is that with the standard ship (Bird of Prey) and crew (Kang and Smiley), I only have a 50% chance at winning each battle. Taking that over the lifetime of fighting, some times I have good win streaks and some times I lose all the time; most times it's off and on. So it's just like flipping a coin; it'll even out in the end...whenever that is.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not charted my results, but if I run 10 Arena battles in a day across all 3 divisions my typical results are roughly 8 wins and 2 losses, and often losses are ties (both ships destroyed) which is a win for the defender. If you are losing a lot, I recommend adjusting your tactics.
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I have not charted my results, but if I run 10 Arena battles in a day across all 3 divisions my typical results are roughly 8 wins and 2 losses, and often losses are ties (both ships destroyed) which is a win for the defender. If you are losing a lot, I recommend adjusting your tactics.

I have been doing exactly that, and I am in the same boat as @CaptDSulu & @Banjo1012 – just the last couple weeks I have been relegated to 3K-4K on the leaderboards, when usually I keep it at <800. I have been trying all my old crew combos, and all of them seem to **tsk tsk** now, when before they would tear apart any ship I came up against, save for maybe 1 in 40.

I even went way off book and tried Disco & Shenzhou and was successful a couple battles with them, but overall same results as T'Ong. Forget the Bounty - it's a sitting duck now, unless I am up against it, I lose before my 6 second boost crew can attack!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    I don’t understand what is the point to even do Commander division. The three star ship reward is useless and you have to waste two crew slot to receive this useless item. I stopped doing this one entirely.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been doing exactly that, and I am in the same boat as @CaptDSulu & @Banjo1012 – just the last couple weeks I have been relegated to 3K-4K on the leaderboards, when usually I keep it at <800. I have been trying all my old crew combos, and all of them seem to **tsk tsk** now, when before they would tear apart any ship I came up against, save for maybe 1 in 40.

I even went way off book and tried Disco & Shenzhou and was successful a couple battles with them, but overall same results as T'Ong. Forget the Bounty - it's a sitting duck now, unless I am up against it, I lose before my 6 second boost crew can attack!

I'm not really sure what to say to this. Most days I only do the 5 battles I am required to do to hit the dailies, and doing that keeps me in or near enough the top 1% to get the max schematics.

My plan is to keep 5 battles "live" to retake position near the end of the day just in case, and that has been working for me. It definitely helps that I've practiced enough that I rarely lose any more, that helps a lot. Not requiring 3-4 battles to get 1 win is really crucial.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not really sure what to say to this. Most days I only do the 5 battles I am required to do to hit the dailies, and doing that keeps me in or near enough the top 1% to get the max schematics.

My plan is to keep 5 battles "live" to retake position near the end of the day just in case, and that has been working for me. It definitely helps that I've practiced enough that I rarely lose any more, that helps a lot. Not requiring 3-4 battles to get 1 win is really crucial.

I used to do that too, hoard the tickets til the end of the day for last minute bumps in rank, but now I’m so concerned about dailies for campaigns I burn through those 10 quick. I need patience on that

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can win almost every time and stay in top 5%. The problem is that I have to work hard for it. I lose 2000 places a day and have to claw my way back. I can win with my crew, but have no staying power.
  • Options
    I can win almost every time and stay in top 5%. The problem is that I have to work hard for it. I lose 2000 places a day and have to claw my way back. I can win with my crew, but have no staying power.

This is what I am saying – before, I could do my 5 daily battles, then leave it all day, and I would come back to like 800-900th place on the daily reset, almost right where I left it. Now I drop to almost 5000th place! Something has definitely changed.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, one thing to consider: the last several months the schematics in Admiral have been in high demand, so competition has been a lot more intense. I think we are currently in the middle of a 5-month span where the ship schematics have been for ships people really want and do not have maxed.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sashenka wrote: »
    I don’t understand what is the point to even do Commander division. The three star ship reward is useless and you have to waste two crew slot to receive this useless item. I stopped doing this one entirely.

I have one 3* ship that isn't maxed: the Breen Warship. If it does show up as the prize in that division, I want to be able to pounce on it. Once I get that ship maxed I might not worry about the Commander division anymore, though I do like having the recurring schematics for the replicator. But ultimately the answer to your question is to each their own.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sashenka wrote: »

I’m with you. Anything non-5* is a waste of arena tickets
  • Options
    Something has changed. Everyone in my fleet has been talking about it and changing crews/ships like crazy trying to figure out what in the universe is happening. I did the same to no avail. Lost even more. Changed back to my original arena setup and at least am winning 1 out of 3 or 4 now. Somewhere around 6 wks (?) Ago it seemed i was was suddenly losing 7-8 battles out of 10. And as someone else mentioned no holding pattern. I have worked my way back Slowly from the change but am barely hanging on with my original setup that used to provide 7-8 wins of 10, now im losing 6-7 of 10.
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me they have changed the quick assault to stop battles ending in 5 seconds so that it pushes battles into the second refresh of special crew skills. As such, if you don't have a balanced crew, you won't have enough attack or defence after the first volley. Personally, nothing has changed for me as I play to win arena battles in the second volley. If this is what they have done, it makes a lot more crew an option for the arena so maybe it's time to crack open the crew vault and try some experimenting.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t really noticed any differences. In the Commander division, I routinely take more damage than my opponent even though we have the exact same crew and ship, and then make up for it with smarter timings for the skill activations than what the AI uses. I hang anywhere between 500 and 2000 with only one battle fought per day, win or lose.

I win offensive battles far less frequently in the Captain division but still only rarely drop rank with one a day- the AI must be better with my crew than I am.

Admiral is streaky, which isn’t a surprise based on the random nature of all the instant-damage crew in use. I can squeeze inside of the top 100, then fall 3000 places by the next day. If/when I give up on the other divisions I still don’t think I’ll run more than the minimum number of tickets in a day, unless I get super bored or something.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admiral division is easy to rerank but I also lose around 1000 places a day despite setting up a defence team during the night.

Captain's division is pure horror, I lose around 90% of the battles and just try to stay in the top 5%.

Commander is so-so. Everyone has the same setup and it works, but my ship only has 5* which makes it hard to compete. It takes some effort to stay in the top 5% sometimes.

Overall I have not notived any change though over the last months.

Some sort of statistic of lost defensive battles would be nice. In other games you can rewatch them but that is quite some data to be stored even if it were only the rolls and time stamps.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me they have changed the quick assault to stop battles ending in 5 seconds

Well if they did I hope they didn't apply it to Skirmish as well, that's literally my only trick. Maxed K't'inga, three crew primed to let fly one colossal smash all at once, and the fourth just sitting in his chair twirling around doing nothing because he's only there for the bonus...
  • Options
    VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    I stay in captain’s top 1% using not the common setup.

I think people should not be so stubborn to persistently use setups that were established once and now 99% of players use them
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the same boat. My rank has dropped. I have to work harder to even stay in top 5% vs 1% before. Same crew and strategy that I've used. It could be that newer ships are getting other people to compete more, but this feels harder than previous new ships.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I can have full shields and hull and get blown away with a fricken slingshot. And my win percentage is about what yours is. I average one or two wins per day of ten arena battles

As you mentioned in the past evasion one of those things that works for your opponent but not for you. Probably not the case, but I really do not use a good one for evasion, I am using O'Brien for his crit bonus.

What frustrates me in the Captain division, is that it is the same crew I battle.
    So I should be doing 50% if I just hit the abilities and crew when they are available. But, I am set on my ways. I want to wait the full cloak, only to get blasted to smithereens as soon as I click Kang.

Everybody is right about the pointlessness of Captain and Commander, but still for one ticket each you usually can keep yourself in the top 5000 and get some more replication material.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

If you ever lose in 6 seconds try to remember what ship and crew you faced and avoid that combo.

I suggest avoiding the D'Kora if it has early attack , accuracy, and then two immediate damage crew. That will usually kill you before you can cloak in the Bounty.

One I got killed by was Locutus, Ardra, and then two immediate damage crew some combination of Killy(s) and Rura Penthe Commandant(s).
  • Options
    The point of my post was, that no matter what ships and crew I went up against, no matter what combinations I changed my crew to, always <6 seconds dead.

I climbed above the 2500 mark today, and it is holding again. Part of that has to do with the crew I select as a matter of defensive strategy (to hold position on the leaderboard), as well as offensive. And there seems to be another trick that needed to be used that I have employed, and I am working out the validity of that theory now.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m starting to wonder if this is a ploy to get us to buy more arena tickets. I’m starting to find it difficult to win one battle out of ten. Plus the schematics for the next few months are new and needed by most
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I think the answer is that more people have the heavy hitters now. it's pretty stable for me though because I just want top 5% in all. The admiral is more annoying lately because of the demand. Usually takes 2 or 3 wins to keep place. Which is easy for me in that division. The middle division is very very stable. and the low division is reasonably stable.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Nothing new here either. Don't have all those quick burst toons that work well with Krayton so I use the T'hong, but I still get my share of wins, about 80+ win percentage. Even take down a Krayton or two with enough evasion.

What I did notice is that I tend to win more when playing on Steam than on Android app. The difference is much more pronounced in the commander division where everybody uses the same setup on the K'Vort.
  • Options
    My latest problem is that even if you get in the top %, you are not rewarded accordingly.

The timer on the upper right corner is the countdown during the arena rewards calculation cycle, not the active arena. This happened twice now.

pb9wlec2qvfm.png
    gjn2at1zu5ig.png
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not new though, is it? I remember benefiting quite a bit when I was in Europe last summer and 7am was perfect for me to get top reward. 6am would've been pushing it lol

Granted, I have no idea why the Arena cycle reset is one hour off from the rest of the game's resets.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    some things follow daylight savings and some don't.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    This is one of several threads in the past 8 or so weeks about the arena and what has changed? What is going on? What is different?.....idk what it is but its not nothing. I have noticed substantial change and lots of ppl are talking about it in multiple threads.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The big problem is that the ranks are shrinking. It used to be over 1300 to be in top 1%. Now it is 857. If it gets to less than 500. One loss, in defense, will be all it takes to be knocked out of top 1%.