Home The Bridge
Options

Premium Rewards Pack Lost its Oomph

WhatMeWorryWhatMeWorry ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in The Bridge
As is customary for events, way out at 350K is a Premium Pack reward.
Sure, its nice to have some reward there, but its not much for the cost of getting there.
200 Honor for a Purple, plus lesser honor and doo-dads. For how many 1000's of chrons?
My question is: When did Premium Packs lose their thrill for you?
Was it the 2nd or 3rd time you didnt receive one Legendary in a pack of 10?
Was it receiving a Legendary...like Grilka, Dancing Checkov....that's terrible?
Or was it the slow repetition of not getting much of genuine value, and concentrating more on citations, event packs, etc?

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t strive for thresholds ever. If I hit them while I’m doing what I’m doing in the event than it’s a plus. If I don’t I don’t but I don’t throw extra into the event to get them
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I am trying for rank in Galaxy and Hybrid events, I won’t go for the higher thresholds. 130k or 160k and out is where I stop in those events. I’ll keep participating in Skirmishes just to roll up honor and chrons, though I won’t do the fifth battles if I am not going for rank.

Faction events are the only ones where I can reasonably expect to clear all the thresholds anyway even if I am not gunning for rank. It’s not that I am even necessarily trying for the threshold rewards, I’m just sending shuttles anyway and wherever I fall is fine by me.

Premium packs stopped being exciting some time ago, when I finished most of the super rares and started getting all-immortal beholds. They remain a nice source of honor, though they usually only yield about half as much as the 250k threshold and therefore are not worth it to really push for if it would be ruinously expensive to do so.
  • Options
    PavelHPavelH ✭✭✭
    Premium packs stopped being exciting when I FFed all 3*. You get a 1 in 8 chance for a legendary and occassionally add a star to a purple which I won't ever use outside faction events. So excluding community awards, I need to spend 10-20k chrons and 2 months to open a single legendary? Yeah no thanks.
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always hit 350K (/400K in reruns) ever since the new threshold was introduced.

I do find the premium pulls disappointing most of the time... But that feeling of excitement when it's actually useful??
    For me it's like life: most of life is mundane, tedious and upsetting, but I live life for the chance that a little thing puts a smile on my face.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    AdiAdi ✭✭
    Maybe if they change the Premium Pack with a random Begold. That will be exciting!
  • Options
    I echo the feelings of the above posters.

I would be encouraged to continue playing events if the final item was a 5* citation rather than a Premium Portal reward.

A 5* might be too much, but a 4* wouldn't be unreasonable and probably wouldn't bite into pack purchases that much
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 10* pull isn't much of a cookie. The Voyage token is though and its only another 50K to get some honour and a small chance for useful crew.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    furyd wrote: »

I would be encouraged to continue playing events if the final item was a 5* citation rather than a Premium Portal reward.

A 5* might be too much, but a 4* wouldn't be unreasonable and probably wouldn't bite into pack purchases that much

I don’t know about that - for Faction and Skirmish events, a 4* citation in the thresholds means I and others like me won’t buy packs to get that 4th star on the new SR event crew. There will still be those who buy packs to make up for not being able to get deep into the thresholds, are still angling for the 5*, or simply can’t wait to level the new crew until after reaching 6500 VP, plus those who want to save the citation for another crew. Even then, weekly 4* citations would probably spell the end of any money DB could make from the occasional $25 deal for five such citations.

If DB wanted to add value to the 350k VP threshold, perhaps there could be three regular premium packs? Or maybe an event pack instead of a single regular pack...I know I would at least be interested in a higher probability of landing a 5* crew I don’t think I can rank for, or to get another star on someone I get from a top-1500 finish.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know about that - for Faction and Skirmish events, a 4* citation in the thresholds means I and others like me won’t buy packs to get that 4th star on the new SR event crew. There will still be those who buy packs to make up for not being able to get deep into the thresholds, are still angling for the 5*, or simply can’t wait to level the new crew until after reaching 6500 VP, plus those who want to save the citation for another crew. Even then, weekly 4* citations would probably spell the end of any money DB could make from the occasional $25 deal for five such citations.

If DB wanted to add value to the 350k VP threshold, perhaps there could be three regular premium packs? Or maybe an event pack instead of a single regular pack...I know I would at least be interested in a higher probability of landing a 5* crew I don’t think I can rank for, or to get another star on someone I get from a top-1500 finish.

A great idea to have an event pack at the end of the thresholds even if DB pushed it back further than 350k.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 400k there could be Begold, same as in Honor hall for 45k.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options

A great idea to have an event pack at the end of the thresholds even if DB pushed it back further than 350k.

An event pack at the end...out in the distance...would be a great idea
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to diminishing returns. it's a way of life.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we want a gold cite in the thresholds, let’s at least be realistic about the VP required. Something in the 1-2 million range depending on event type would actually be an interesting proposition for both players and DB.

Would be an added reward for players who stockpile and concentrate on specific events and at the same time it would be meaningfully more work than is required for a 1/5, which makes sense since the cite is more valuable.

Having it they high up might actually drive sales on extra shuttles and boosts or chron packs to make it beneficial for DB.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    If we want a gold cite in the thresholds, let’s at least be realistic about the VP required. Something in the 1-2 million range depending on event type would actually be an interesting proposition for both players and DB.

Would be an added reward for players who stockpile and concentrate on specific events and at the same time it would be meaningfully more work than is required for a 1/5, which makes sense since the cite is more valuable.

Having it they high up might actually drive sales on extra shuttles and boosts or chron packs to make it beneficial for DB.

I totally concur with this

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally I would have bought the $10 offer to get the last star on Data Q but I can wait till the end of the campaign to get the citation. He’s not going to contribute to my cause in any way. It’s just a cool character I like so whenever that cite comes, I know it will be coming

• Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

An event pack at the end is a great idea
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprising that there are no "push back" comments about these ideas for higher threshold rewards. It wasn't too long ago that the forums were discussing the horrors of competing to reach 350K (or 400K for the older 5* cards). And here we have an entire string of comments dedicated to pushing even more rewards out into the deep.

As to the original question - I'm long since past the point where a single 10x portal provides any hope. Sure, it's 700-800 honor and that's fine, but to make them feel more rewarding, I stopped opening them as single pulls. Now I wait until I have 10 or more, and open 10 at a time. I figure it gives reasonable odds of catching a 5* event (straight drop or behold), but even if that fails, I still get 7000-8000 honor, which is a tangible increase all at once. Between events and campaigns, I get to do this about once a month.
  • Options
    Surprising that there are no "push back" comments about these ideas for higher threshold rewards. It wasn't too long ago that the forums were discussing the horrors of competing to reach 350K (or 400K for the older 5* cards). And here we have an entire string of comments dedicated to pushing even more rewards out into the deep.

My guess is that higher thresholds aren’t as scary as they were initially. When it’s taking 700,000-900,000 VP to clear rank 1500 in certain event types, having some extra rewards to shoot for other than rank itself doesn’t sound so bad. I don’t know about that 1-2 million number Paladin dropped, but new thresholds up through 500,000 might not be all that unfavorable.

The problem I think with expanded threshold rewards is that not all event types are so bountiful with VP - it’s harder to clear 400,000 VP without spending in a Faction than it is in a Skirmish. For example, when I (a day two player with nearly every 4* crew in the game, 143 FE 5* crew of various fusion levels, and 4 shuttles) take it easy on a Faction event - meaning no time-reducers after a kickstart and no tokens - I can still clear 350,000-400,000 VP usually by Sunday night. If I am going to be using time-reducers or tokens on an off week to hit new thresholds, those expanded threshold rewards are going to need to be worth it.
  • Options
    [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I was excited when DB released the new thresholds, and I still enjoy them today. While I am not opposed to more being added, I am also okay with the status quo as it gets me a fairly steady stream of honor. TBH, I've been hoarding my pulls for a while now in anticipation of the update, but that doesn't diminish their luster.
  • Options
    I'd like milestone awards: 500K, 750K, 1M, 1.25M, etc.....
    Just something added to work towards along the way.
    It could 1000 honor each time, 600 schematics for an event ship, 5* Replicator Rations, and so on.
    It does get boring clicking away with nothing to gain but the same event legendary that you thought qualified for 250,000 points ago. (Well, you do get the minor bonuses along the way with skirmishes).
    Worse, you're chewing up your chrons and your inventory for just points when youre past threshold
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something to remember. There are a lot of people that shoot for threshold and then stop. If you continue to raise the threshold target, you will get more people going for those higher threshold numbers and that will then raise the final VP required to rank. That's what happened when DB added the new threshold rewards last time. Adding a 500k/750K/1M threshold will probably result in putting top 1500 above the final threshold number.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Something to remember. There are a lot of people that shoot for threshold and then stop. If you continue to raise the threshold target, you will get more people going for those higher threshold numbers and that will then raise the final VP required to rank. That's what happened when DB added the new threshold rewards last time. Adding a 500k/750K/1M threshold will probably result in putting top 1500 above the final threshold number.

As Martha Stewart would say, "That's a good thing".

Play on, Macduff.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have liked the increase in competition. It makes the event more exciting. I am not just guaranteed my rank at the end of day 2 like the events used to be.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    those packs (does not matter manner of acquisition, I wont do the 10 for 10$ anymore) lost the thrill when I got over 90% of purples immortalized. Even worse when the first box is a no choice purple. And with the 10% chance of even getting a begold, (and everyone has heard examples of going 30,40 packs without one), they have become just another button to push
  • Options
    Adding additional threshold rewards is a horrible idea.

To place around top 1000 you need to get around
    1. 600k VP for Galaxy and Hybrid faction/Galaxy. (Very doable for strong daily players, more difficult for non, near impossible for beginners)

2. 490 VP for faction only (Assuming 6kish quick start, you need 121 4k shuttles, roughly 30 a day. Assuming 4 shuttles you would need 7.5 3hr time marks or 22.5 hrs per day. The only way to do this is with several shuttle boosts and being consistently on all weekend).

3. 800k VP for a skirmish. (Easy event and not worth a discussion cause you literally get rewarded 4/5 ship battles)

4. I don't have any solid data on Expeditions except I remember them being time consuming to play for rank without possibility of easy speed ups.

Raising these levels will only distance the top teir versus mid tier players.
  • Options
    I think its a crap idea to add new rank reward for event. even now the 10*pull is only means 700 or more honors, I would like an idea to make these pull more useful.
  • Options
    Adding additional threshold rewards is a horrible idea.

To place around top 1000 you need to get around
    1. 600k VP for Galaxy and Hybrid faction/Galaxy. (Very doable for strong daily players, more difficult for non, near impossible for beginners)

2. 490 VP for faction only (Assuming 6kish quick start, you need 121 4k shuttles, roughly 30 a day. Assuming 4 shuttles you would need 7.5 3hr time marks or 22.5 hrs per day. The only way to do this is with several shuttle boosts and being consistently on all weekend).

3. 800k VP for a skirmish. (Easy event and not worth a discussion cause you literally get rewarded 4/5 ship battles)

4. I don't have any solid data on Expeditions except I remember them being time consuming to play for rank without possibility of easy speed ups.

Raising these levels will only distance the top teir versus mid tier players.

Top tier players are going to go for the top regardless of rewards.
    Paladin just put up 10.4 Million (the last time I checked) for this skirmish.
    He didnt do it for any extra awards along the way.
    And they added 500 slots for more people to get the legendary.
    Does it make sense that 1500 players should toil away and not get any rewards.....so that other players....who wont get the Legendary anyway.....should feel that they have a chance?
    No, it doesnt