Home The Bridge
Options

New 5* in Vault - Acting Captain Jellico

2»

Comments

• Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was just so weird that Riker did not lead the Enterprise. It was so weird that Picard with all his classified information that could be used against the Federation if he was caught was sent on a secret mission where he had to rock climb. The Enterprise and Picard are both well known but somehow Starfleet thought that if they put another old white guy in charge of the Enterprise no enemy would figure it out.

In my ConspriacyTheoryLaden Fanfiction, this was one of my character's proofs that the Federation was actively trying to erase Jean-Luc Picard (among other characters); as they were greatly embarrassed by the events leading up to an including the Season 1 episode "Conspiracy".
    Then throw in Picard was compromised by the Borg.
    In my character's mind, this was one of several perfect opportunities for a corrupt Federation to remove a sordid reminder of past failures from the public.

(At least in my part of the multiverse)
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Riker did serve as Acting Captain, emphasis on "acting," when Picard was turned into Locutus, right?

The emphasis meaning that it was effectively a temporary battlefield promotion with no official transfer of captaincy.
  • Options
    Between Robocop, Total Recall and TNG he was so good at making you dislike him.

"I had to kill Bob Morton, because he made a mistake, now it's time to erase that mistake."
    eXo | Z•A•P•P
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between Robocop, Total Recall and TNG he was so good at making you dislike him.

I know right? I kind of like Jellico just because of how much I like not liking him.

Definitely should be Captain though, whatever the situation with his command of the Enterprise (I feel like it's pretty convincing that he was made the actual "Captain of the Enterprise" anyway), he held the rank of Captain, no 'acting', of USS Cairo, so I feel like he'd get the courtesy of being called by his proper rank even if he wasn't there 'officially' (which he totally was). And it's not like there's another Jellico card we need to tell this one apart from, so...
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a jerk on Stargate-SG1 too - always a thorn in Jack’s side.
    But I’ve read he’s really a nice guy in real life ...

That's where else I knew him from. Thanks. I love Stargate.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man did I hate his character

He was written, directed, and acted magnificently, which is why he was so hate-able.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing of that tng episode is that I watched it again recently and Riker came off as just as much a jerk if not more so than Jellico. Riker refused to even try the different shift rotation Jellico wanted. But then again, why did the writers spend 20 minutes talking about shift schedules. Picard, Worf, and Dr. Crusher are risking their lives on a dangerous mission...meanwhile Riker and Jellico are arguing over a shift schedule change.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I also think that shift rotations would be standard for all federation ships so that everyone could be the most efficient.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I also think that shift rotations would be standard for all federation ships so that everyone could be the most efficient.

Maybe three-shift is a Galaxy class thing? Like if the basic civilian work model we have now (give or take being increasingly ruthlessly enslaved to corporate overlords and all that) of eight hours work in a day is still the norm on Earth - which isn't a bad assumption, since a lot of 24th Century Earth is basically "Like now, but without bad stuff" - Starfleet may have decided to run Galaxies (and other family ships, like the Saratoga) on three shifts because that means you can put all the crew who are parents on the 8am-4pm shift, so all the kids are going to school during the 'day' and sleeping at 'night' and there's not so much disruption in their routine when a family comes on board or leaves the ship. Whereas for ships without kids like the Cairo you can run four shifts if that's more efficient, because everyone's grown up and can handle changing their routines to suit the job.

I mean I don't think anyone at the Star Trek office had that in mind when they had Riker and Jellico argue about it, but that popped into my head just now.
  • Options
    He's not ACTING , he was/is a full rank Captain.
  • Options

But he is Acting Captain of the Enterprise.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

But he is Acting Captain of the Enterprise.

No he isn't. He was given full command. Riker even says he thinks it's permanent.
    LAFORGE: I wonder how permanent this is going to be.
    RIKER: I don't know. They don't usually go through the ceremony if it's just a temporary assignment.
  • Options
    Picard was not demoted he was put on a classified mission in which it was necessary to publically make it look like Jellico was permanent captain of thr Enterprise so as not to expose Picard's mission. Jellico came from being captain of the U.S.S. Cairo to temporarily be captain of the Enterprise then he went back to being captain of the Cairo. But this seems to be more a conversation on nomenclature. I think "Acting" works in regards to Captain Jellico being temporary captain of the Enterprise but you are correct in that "Acting Captain" could have two definitions, temporary captain of the Enterprise and not a captain but temporarily raised in rank to captain. What name would you prefer? Just Captain Jellico? I like it when the names have a little more than just rank and name.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picard was not demoted, but he was given a new assignment. Jellico was then given the assignment of Captain of the Enterprise. There was nothing temporary or acting about it. Jellico was captain of the Enterprise.

When Beverly Crusher left the Enterprise for Starfleet medical, Pulaski wasn't Acting Chief Medical Officer, she was Chief Medical Officer. Then she was reassigned and Crusher returned.

Just because Picard later returned doesn't change that Jellico was Captain, just like Crusher's return did not make Pulaski CMO.

And yes I'd like Jellico to just be Captain Jellico because that's what he was. Just like Captain Sulu, Captain Harriman, Captain Bateson, Captain Garrett and every other captain in the game.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 20 captains in the game with the name Captain <name>. Some our the base version of the main captains, but most are one off guest episodes. Why is Captain Harriman not not Inaugural Enterprise B Captain Harriman? Alternate Future Captain Nog? Time Loop Captain Bateson? Why insist that Jellico has to have a modifier while all these others are fine as is.
  • Options
    But that is so boring especially for a Tuesday pack crew member. You got to give it more pizzazz like Cranky Jellico, Cardassian Crushing Jellico, or even an ironic name like Jovial Jellico.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I could be off-base here, but I've always understood acting captain as being more about the assignment being unofficial than about it being temporary. Riker was acting captain when Picard was taken by the Borg, until Admiral Hayden made it official in a briefing with Shelby and the senior staff. Data was acting Captain when Picard was presumed dead and Riker was kidnapped by space pirates. But however temporarily Jellico was intended to act as captain of the Enterprise, there was a formal transfer of command and transfer of assignment for both he and Picard, so I don't think acting captain applies here.