Home The Bridge
Options

New Gauntlet Character - Who should it be?

We have pondered, and discussed what we 'want', now let's view this from a purely Star Trek lore and try to make sense for what DB thinks as well. Best guess wins?

Gauntlet #1: Locutus – villain, but created as antithesis of beloved character.
Gauntlet #2: Guinan – well known character in ST lore, spanning generations, seemingly immortal and very wise.
Gauntlet #3: Caretaker – Single appearance in two parter episode, not a villain, but through his "benevolent" actions takes ships from other quadrants and strands them and their respective crews. 'He means well', protagonist.
Gauntlet #4: Armus – The absolute emergence of Evil, as was his subtitle "The Skin of Evil". Villain
Gauntlet #5: – ??

After Guinan, I wanted to see another Villain such as Trelane or Khan. I think Trelane was already introduced.

My original thoughts for next Gauntlet were along the lines of 'Q', but since he is themed so much in the rest of the game, it doesn't make sense to add him to Gauntlet. (Also since Judge Q runs the Gauntlet.)

So far, 2 Villains, and 2 non-Villains, and 3/4 are from TNG.

So...it comes down to this; Do we go Villain for the next one or not? Either way, should it be a recurring character or another one-off? I can think of a lot of possibilities, but most of them we already have as crew, and I am assuming DB will create a new one for this. This list could get extensive, but I am picking only maybe 2 possibilities per show to try and narrow it down. I also should think it would not be a Starfleet crew of any kind. I am also taking into account who DB may or may not have rights to. It has been said they can't get TOS Harry Mudd or Charlie X, both of which would have been great for Gauntlet IMO. This was a very difficult list to assemble BTW, as most of the proper characters are already in the game. (Maybe the same hard choices DB is having?)

possibilities for non-Villains:
TOS: Flint – immortal, protagonist
TNG: Kivas Fajo – Zibalian trader with no morals
DS9: Eris – Dominion infiltrator with telekinetic abilities
VOY: Captain Ransom – okay, exception to my own rule, desperate but murderer
ENT: "spectral temporal meddler" – can't find a name for him/her, antagonist
DISCO: Ba'ul – enslavers of the Kelpiens (Technically a Villain, but I found a better villain for that list)

possibilities for Villains:
TOS: Lord Garth, criminally insane, genetically manipulated by Antosians
TNG: ???
DS9: Jaro Essa – Bajoran Militia, extremest
VOY: ???
ENT: Valdore – The Romulan who had the drone ship attacking the quadrant
DISCO: Control Leland

Yes, there are a couple open spots I couldn't figure out, but that's okay, because this is hard enough without more choices.

My personal wish is to get a TOS character, and I think Lord Garth would be ideal from nearly every perspective.
I want to become a Dilionaire...

Comments

• Options
    KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Gorgan, from the TOS episode "And the Children Shall Lead".
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I'd love a SEC beast, so I'll repeat my nomination from a previous thread: the Pendari Champion (aka The Rock).

uzs20uefhfkl.jpg

Kevin Uxbridge and Control Leland could also be decent candidates.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    would have to assume you want name recognition as part of a major feature reward, such as gauntlet. I have no idea who 99% of these named characters are.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    would have to assume you want name recognition as part of a major feature reward, such as gauntlet. I have no idea who 99% of these named characters are.

To @Commander Sinclair 's point, most of the major and worthy characters are already represented in the game. But while Honor Hall has shown a willingness to present special versions of main characters, the Gauntlet has so far shied away from that. Alas, it starts to mean characters who had lesser impact on screen.

Heck, I'm even going through the movies in my mind and other than "God" and Decker (the latter of which having obvious issues), I'm mostly drawing blanks.
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »

To @Commander Sinclair 's point, most of the major and worthy characters are already represented in the game. But while Honor Hall has shown a willingness to present special versions of main characters, the Gauntlet has so far shied away from that. Alas, it starts to mean characters who had lesser impact on screen.

Heck, I'm even going through the movies in my mind and other than "God" and Decker (the latter of which having obvious issues), I'm mostly drawing blanks.

What does God need with a starship?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

100% This. It's name recognition that matters, not categorizing people into series and villain or not. Find a well known character not in the game and that's who it should be.

Ambassador Sarek from TOS/Movies
    Harry Mudd if they ever got the rights straightened out
    V'Ger
  • Options
    Sylvia and Korob
  • Options
    KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Was there a licensing issue with Gary Mitchell?
  • Options
    Nagelum
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

100% This. It's name recognition that matters, not categorizing people into series and villain or not. Find a well known character not in the game and that's who it should be.

V'Ger

I didn’t know who the caretaker was until he showed up in Gauntlet. Kevin Uxbridge was in just as many episodes as Armus. And Armus only killed one person. Kevin wiped out an entire race

• Options
    I really like the Jaro Essa idea, the DS9 arc about the Circle was great. CMD-DIP-SEC?

I'll go a bit further and suggest from the same arc Li Nalas. Downside of him might be that I'd think he'd be another Diplomacy-primary character like Guinan and Locutus.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

V'Ger

I didn’t know who the caretaker was until he showed up in Gauntlet. Kevin Uxbridge was in just as many episodes as Armus. And Armus only killed one person. Kevin wiped out an entire race

You might not have known the name caretaker, but you probably remembered the alien who brought Voyager to the delta quadrant.

You might not have known the name armus, but you probably remember the oil slick that killed Tasha.

Kevin Uxbridge is just another alien of the week. There was nothing he really did in that was memorable outside of the episode.

• Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, TNG is more than (some would say over) represented with Armus, Guinan, and Locutus, (and Khaless and Capt Bev if you want to go there). so a change I think (hope) would be in order.
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

V'Ger

You might not have known the name caretaker, but you probably remembered the alien who brought Voyager to the delta quadrant.

You might not have known the name armus, but you probably remember the oil slick that killed Tasha.

Kevin Uxbridge is just another alien of the week. There was nothing he really did in that was memorable outside of the episode.

Nope. Don’t know the guy, don’t know who brought him there, so yeah. Let’s keep going for like 20 more comments

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    V'ger gets my vote, FWIW. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to regret this if it happens, as I finally had Gangster Spock drop just this week, but a security beast sounds like the right approach, and Dwayne Johnson belongs in the Arena. I second the vote for the Pendari Champion.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Janice Lester, Korob or Sylvia or Sybok’s ‘God’ get my votes
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

V'Ger

Nope. Don’t know the guy, don’t know who brought him there, so yeah. Let’s keep going for like 20 more comments

I'm going to assume that if you don't know who the Caretaker is, you have never seen an episode of Voyager?
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two that have been mentioned, V'Ger and Li Nalas, get a +1 from me.

Also, could also go with Grey Hair Data (name subject to change ;) ) from All Good Things; I think he's the only one from that episode who hasn't gotten a card. Or do an original: Mirror Riker or a Mirror character from Voyager (there was a previous thread about that one).
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭

V'Ger

I'm going to assume that if you don't know who the Caretaker is, you have never seen an episode of Voyager?

Or he has never seen the two part pilot that he is apparently from. Which I must have seen at some point when Voyager was show on tv but I also had to Google who this guy was. Which probably has to do with me not watching a lot of Voyager because I didn’t like the show, but I still know the main characters. Just not a guy who was only in two episodes.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Cam Taliis wrote: »

V'Ger

Or he has never seen the two part pilot that he is apparently from. Which I must have seen at some point when Voyager was show on tv but I also had to Google who this guy was. Which probably has to do with me not watching a lot of Voyager because I didn’t like the show, but I still know the main characters. Just not a guy who was only in two episodes.

I suspect that might fall into the same category. I feel like he's mentioned quite a bit, especially in the early seasons, but if you aren't familiar with the context you could easily miss the reference. But back to the premise of the character needing to have name recognition, I think Caretaker would easily fall into that category for 95% of players familiar with the IP.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    [S14]Bri wrote: »
    Possessed Dukat pls euyntanntq92.jpeg

I think you mean this.

lgq3p18qrg8u.jpg
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm partial to the TOS options suggested by Commander Sinclair. Of them, I'd consider Flint to be a better "regular" card (probably a Tue pack), since his 6 bases - oops, I mean 3 bases - should all be elite, but his rolls could very well be anemic. Lord Garth is an excellent gauntlet choice - his insanity made him capable of massive success and massive failure (i.e., wide ranging rolls).

I'd like to see Janice Lester show up someday too, but I think she'd fit best in a Kirk event.

Having just watched the Prophet Kira / Pah Wraith Jake episode from DS9, I'd be in favor of one of them as well. That was a cool scene. I half-expected the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man to show up as the evil vessel. (For those that have forgotten, which I would assume is 'everyone', I am currently watching the final seasons of DS9 for the first time, having stopped after season 3 when it was live.)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flint, Gary Mitchell, Garth, Pah-Wraith Possessed Dukat, Prophet Possessed Kira, and Pah-Wraith Possessed Jake would all be great choices. Garth as a gauntlet special would blow my mega event idea out of the water, of course, but he’s currently at the very top of my most wanted list and I will take him as a single event legendary, mega event recurring legendary, gauntlet special, or honor hall feature. A Tuesday pack release would still happen for me, albeit probably at the cost of severe wallet damage...
  • Options
    I posted this before on another thread with he similar discussion.
    My vote was for this guy.
    ywunwa2kjlo4.jpg

Future Guy from Enterprise.

Although I remember reading somewhere that it was really Capt. Archer from the future manipulating himself.
    I think would make a killer gauntlet character.

We could also consider this guy as well.
    kbh9dqcv54ue.jpg
    God!