Home The Bridge
Options

5 factions in a row?

I love factions, they are my favorite event in the game. But omg five in a row? Full faction or hybrid, I mean it is just too much i think.

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s like the dark days before even Expedition events were released.
  • Options
    Or, as some mentioned in my fleet, they could be just setting up these events and doing a 'cut and paste' event system because they have been working in getting the new upgrade out.
  • Options
    In case it's of any interest, I've just reviewed the event history and unless I missed something, this is indeed the longest consecutive streak of any one event format. I would have thought for sure that we had five or more Faction events in the beginning, since that was the only format for several months. But I'd kinda forgotten that the first few events were on a monthly, not weekly, basis. We've had several streaks of four consecutive events of the same format (or at least mixed with a Hybrid of it), but no streaks of five.

But if you wanna see a truly brutal event calendar, I refer you to a run that started three years ago:

09-15-2016 Triple Threat 1 Galaxy
    09-22-2016 Ribbon of Joy Expedition
    09-29-2016 Second Act 1 Faction
    10-06-2016 Holograms Are Forever Expedition
    10-13-2016 Blood and Circuses 2 Faction
    10-27-2016 Ghost in the Machine 1 Faction
    11-04-2016 Dictators, Unite! Faction
    11-12-2016 The Game's Afoot 2 Expedition
    11-17-2016 The Prime Directive 1 Galaxy
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I agree it is a bit frustrating but only two of the five events were full faction events. On hybrids you do not need to do as big a kickstart or use as many time boosts as the majority of the points come from the galaxy half. If you are going to call Hybrid Faction/Galaxy events that are only 50% Faction just Faction events like you do in your title then by the same logic you could call the Hybrid Faction/Galaxy events just Galaxy events instead and there is no five in a row at all.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    As i said in another thread if it's easier for developers to work on bug fixing/improving the game it's fine but would be nice to know it's that and not them being lazy on choosing the event types and yes hybrid are much better than just Faction.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they throw in old ships I think that Skirmishes are the least work for development. No texts for missions, only the main story has to be created. They can copy and paste opponent ships, that's it.

I doubt that saving manpower is the reasoning behind this faction-flood. I rather believe that they try to get more people into buying boosts as most stocks are rather depleted by now.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    there's a full skirmish mega coming ;)
    Wouldn't that be the year of hell.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they are changing the skirmish event to deal with event "issues"....or maybe they just forgot skirmish events exist? SOME communication from DB would be nice for clarification but not expecting any...
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it is a bit frustrating but only two of the five events were full faction events. On hybrids you do not need to do as big a kickstart or use as many time boosts as the majority of the points come from the galaxy half. If you are going to call Hybrid Faction/Galaxy events that are only 50% Faction just Faction events like you do in your title then by the same logic you could call the Hybrid Faction/Galaxy events just Galaxy events instead and there is no five in a row at all.

This. If you start counting from Falcon Falls (2) just before the Q Mega through next week's event (8 weeks), we will have had 5 events with a galaxy component. Even in the era of plentiful chronitons, some players might consider that to be excessive. Also, as is noted often on these forums, some players passionately hate galaxy events, so for them, this stretch is pretty awful too.

To be fair, over that same time period, there will have been 6 events with a faction component. In a game with only 3 event types (sorry Expedition, you just can't be counted here), I suppose there's only so much variety to go around.

As I noted in the event thread, if the event starting Sep 26th isn't a skirmish, DB will have broken new ground in the interval between skirmishes. Here's hoping that Gladiator Kirk has a good ship ability.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As one who has been playing “pokemon” with STT for 3 years, I never have the 7-15 thousand chrons to make a run of any event utilizing chronitons, so I don’t bother participating in galaxies, and I run a business and have real world commitments, so I can’t often make a run of expedition or skirmish events when you need 20 plus hours of devoted eye strain and tapping to get a gold crew, so I’m full steam ahead on the factions, but clearly in the minority among the players. Hybrids at least give me the ability to clear rewards without needing too many chrons, and I can continue leveling my hoard of crew after I give up and drop from 400 to 4000th position in 3 hours of phase 2. One day when all my crew is at 100 (only 32 4* cards left), perhaps I’ll actually enjoy a galaxy, but for now I can’t stand them and skirmishes are utterly pointless past threshold for me as mentioned, since I can’t possibly give the time required to do well against the folks grinding honor and chrons to bury me deeper in the next galaxy event. I’ve been quite happy with the last few weeks, myself, but I understand why others are not. A full faction is the only event I know I will bring in a new 5* Monday morning, and the only fun event for me to get competitive in.

Note: some of my numbers are sheer inner hyperbole, and I’m not in need of any of our beautiful, number crunching friends in the STT community (Always love what you guys do, because I can’t and it’s so much fun to read!) to correct me, I know I can get a smidgen bit dramatic, but the sentiment is the important part in my book.
  • Options
    Torias327 wrote: »
    As one who has been playing “pokemon” with STT for 3 years, I never have the 7-15 thousand chrons to make a run of any event utilizing chronitons, so I don’t bother participating in galaxies, and I run a business and have real world commitments, so I can’t often make a run of expedition or skirmish events when you need 20 plus hours of devoted eye strain and tapping to get a gold crew, so I’m full steam ahead on the factions, but clearly in the minority among the players. Hybrids at least give me the ability to clear rewards without needing too many chrons, and I can continue leveling my hoard of crew after I give up and drop from 400 to 4000th position in 3 hours of phase 2. One day when all my crew is at 100 (only 32 4* cards left), perhaps I’ll actually enjoy a galaxy, but for now I can’t stand them and skirmishes are utterly pointless past threshold for me as mentioned, since I can’t possibly give the time required to do well against the folks grinding honor and chrons to bury me deeper in the next galaxy event. I’ve been quite happy with the last few weeks, myself, but I understand why others are not. A full faction is the only event I know I will bring in a new 5* Monday morning, and the only fun event for me to get competitive in.

Note: some of my numbers are sheer inner hyperbole, and I’m not in need of any of our beautiful, number crunching friends in the STT community (Always love what you guys do, because I can’t and it’s so much fun to read!) to correct me, I know I can get a smidgen bit dramatic, but the sentiment is the important part in my book.

As someone who has immortalized all but nine of the 4* crew (two of which are voyage-only and five others that are not in the portal yet), Galaxy events don’t really get better. Having extra crew helps get you more VP, sure, but the sticking point (at least for me) is the amount of mindless tapping with nothing to show for it but some starbase components and whatever rank you make at the end of the event.
  • Options
    Torias327 wrote: »

As someone who has immortalized all but nine of the 4* crew (two of which are voyage-only and five others that are not in the portal yet), Galaxy events don’t really get better. Having extra crew helps get you more VP, sure, but the sticking point (at least for me) is the amount of mindless tapping with nothing to show for it but some starbase components and whatever rank you make at the end of the event.

Yep, so many chrons used in full galaxies I prefer hybrids. Plus if it is hybrid faction you can share a crewmember or recieve one which helps.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Sometimes things happen is weird ways against your best intentions . . . but my guess is they have a good reason things have been laid out this way. Even if it's just, "this is the easiest option while we work on stuff."

Of course, maybe someone is kicking themselves for not choosing a skirmish for the flashback . . . but then, there are only two options:

Fixed Variables? Not sure if a chance to grab more Capt. Janeways is a plus or minus.

Barren Heat? It's only two months old, and already featured a repeat legendary ship.

The rest are all in Megas.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    But if you wanna see a truly brutal event calendar, I refer you to a run that started three years ago:

Huh, I started playing just before those events. Triple Threat 1 was my first full event.
    Or, as some mentioned in my fleet, they could be just setting up these events and doing a 'cut and paste' event system because they have been working in getting the new upgrade out.

I don't think so. For the past year or so, new faction events had the same shuttle slots copied and pasted between factions. Each faction had exactly the same shuttles, just different names and descriptions. The current faction event has shuttles that are unique to each faction. That means at least a little bit more work went into this event.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    but the sticking point (at least for me) is the amount of mindless tapping with nothing to show for it but some starbase components and whatever rank you make at the end of the event.

Nothing to show for it? Fascinating!

Cause of your "magical" Gary Seven experience ask yourself this:

What would you prefer?

3 or 4 copies of a legendary you really want like you did with Gary Seven for some effort (in case of course that card can be gained in a Galaxy or Galaxy hybrid which Gary was not)? Or some 100 bucks gone for none?

Also keeping in mind that you can watch a movie or Star Trek episodes while clicking. Listen to music or whatever rides your boat while playing.

For the higher spots determination and willpower is needed, yes, but nothing to show for it is nonsense when you are really keen for multiple copies of certain legendaries in an honor and cash saving way....

• Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm ok with this
    • preserves time spent playing
    • preserves resources
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Ikrit wrote: »

Huh, I started playing just before those events. Triple Threat 1 was my first full event.

Then you came in at the end of a run of four consecutive Faction events:

08-18-2016 The Genesis Wave 1 Faction
    08-26-2016 Unlikely Heroes Faction
    09-01-2016 The Second Battle of New York 1 Faction
    09-08-2016 The Trouble with Klingons 2 Faction

Older players will remember the debacle that was Prime Directive, which prompted a replacement Faction event to be written literally overnight, Unlikely Heroes. Its title may have been an allusion to those writers, and if so, it was well earned. There should be an entire Wiki page devoted to the trouble Prime Directive caused for literal months, though.
  • Options
    I'm also OK with this. I'd rather see factions or hybrids over 5 straight weeks of galazy.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    but the sticking point (at least for me) is the amount of mindless tapping with nothing to show for it but some starbase components and whatever rank you make at the end of the event.

Nothing to show for it? Fascinating!

Cause of your "magical" Gary Seven experience ask yourself this:

What would you prefer?

3 or 4 copies of a legendary you really want like you did with Gary Seven for some effort (in case of course that card can be gained in a Galaxy or Galaxy hybrid which Gary was not)? Or some 100 bucks gone for none?

Also keeping in mind that you can watch a movie or Star Trek episodes while clicking. Listen to music or whatever rides your boat while playing.

For the higher spots determination and willpower is needed, yes, but nothing to show for it is nonsense when you are really keen for multiple copies of certain legendaries in an honor and cash saving way....

First of all, I salute your excellent memory. To answer your question, I’m going to go to a more recent crew member: Dr. Pollard. Her skill set was something I was in pretty desperate need of when On The Backs of Giants came around (it’s still a need, just not so desperate) and I went into the event intending on grinding to secure rank. By the time I had cleared the 130k threshold and looked at what I had left to do to make sure I got her, I decided I would rather just try to land her in the next week’s event pack instead, knowing the chances of it working out even given the great drop rate in event packs.

That being said, that event was a little odd thanks to the silly amount of competition going on. I did push for rank to get both Resilient Tuvok and Saboteur Garak. Maybe I had more free time those weekends, maybe the competition wasn’t quite as nuts. Or maybe the grind during Skirmishes is much more fulfilling, even despite the lack of a community reward...the fountain of honor, holoemitters, and items farmed from ship battles during Skirmish events apparently is worth more to me than a thousand or so honor and a fourth star on the new 4* crew.
  • Options
    I don't like Faction events soo much, I never finish strong. I only am able to get 2* of the threshold crew members. I 'm trying to power up my cards so one day I'll do better.
  • Options
    Bakerbeanz wrote: »
    I don't like Faction events soo much, I never finish strong. I only am able to get 2* of the threshold crew members. I 'm trying to power up my cards so one day I'll do better.

That is the benefit of a hybrid event. You can get more rewards.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Yes some variety in the events would be a lot more fun. I love faction events, but you can have too much of a good thing. I honestly would love to see more skirmishes. We have had one in the 4 months I have been playing.
  • Options
    Nah, we’ve had more than 1 in the last 4 months. The events that dropped Honored Owosekun and Amanda Rogers were both skirmishes, and they’ve definitely been in the last 4 months (maybe even the last 2.)

I like skirmishes too, though. Even if you’re not going for a top place, it’s nice to actually get stuff for your chrons, unlike galaxy events.
  • Options
    It must have been in the beginning of June then I started halfway through June and I have only done the Amanda Rogers one.
  • Options
    It must have been in the beginning of June then I started halfway through June and I have only done the Amanda Rogers one.

The wiki says Honored Owosekun was added July 10. Maybe you were just out of town/on vacation?