Home The Bridge
Options

Event Bonuses Spreadsheet [Mistakenly posted to Bridge, please move to Ready Room]

Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in The Bridge
I got sick of always having to work out which crew to thaw, so I finally broke down and created a spreadsheet to do it for me. I used crew base stats data from the Latest Crew lvl 100 stats sheet, with the presumption that would be okay. If it isn't, I apologize and will clear that data and enter it myself manually. The sheet should be pretty intuitive, but in case it's not, I wrote an admittedly clunky overview. There is a sheet for Faction events another for Galaxy events.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nrcyPYj1VYJOScyI9InSKi6uJ_eymVgT5kRZr4blCto/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    This is great Travis, thanks for the work put in on this!
    I did misunderstand originally, thinking this was to see crew sorted via trait, so you can see all valid crew for an event that gives bonuses to 'scoundrel' etc, and then be able to sort via base score.

Would it be viable to link the crew so that by ticking the featured crew, all other variants of that crew become checked as bonus crew automatically? I'm not even sure how to do that!

Thinking about it, I'm sure that would be a serious amount of work on a google sheet.

I do find this sheet very useful though, thanks for putting it together. :)
  • Options
    I did misunderstand originally, thinking this was to see crew sorted via trait, so you can see all valid crew for an event that gives bonuses to 'scoundrel' etc, and then be able to sort via base score.

Would it be viable to link the crew so that by ticking the featured crew, all other variants of that crew become checked as bonus crew automatically? I'm not even sure how to do that!

Thinking about it, I'm sure that would be a serious amount of work on a google sheet.

I know it can be done, if only because the Crew lvl 100 sheet uses traits to calculate things like Gauntlet bonuses. But it's above my head. If anyone who knows how to do this wants to do it, I'll gladly give them editing control over it.
  • Options
    Great idea Travis thanks. As our crew size grows, it's increasingly impractical to thaw EVERYONE for some events, so this tool will be increasingly useful!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done, Travis! I’ve been tinkering with something similar in my Excel file (just for Galaxy events thus far), where you type in the event and bonus crew names and it automatically displays both the event-modified stats and highlights the best crew for each skill.

I know it can be done, if only because the Crew lvl 100 sheet uses traits to calculate things like Gauntlet bonuses. But it's above my head. If anyone who knows how to do this wants to do it, I'll gladly give them editing control over it.

After a little work on this over lunch today, I have something somewhat workable - it’s split into separate worksheets in my Excel workbook...might not be the end of the universe to mash it all together in one but I have to get back to work now and will have to play with that later. For now, I have a name-search tool, a Galaxy crew tool, and a Faction crew tool.

The short version for the name search tool is that Excel’s INDEX and AGGREGATE functions can be made to use a single text input to return a collated list of data from a multi-column set. Column A has each crew’s name, column B has the general character name. If I enter Kirk into the input cell, it will spit out a list of every Kirk variant I have in the whole crew list by the crew name (Evil Kirk, Mirror Kirk, and so on). I think the formula can be expanded to work with multiple columns for traits, which I will experiment with later. Help with these functions, including using other functions to return nice, clean results without error cells, can be found here:

https://www.xelplus.com/return-multiple-match-values-in-excel/

I couldn’t say how well this will translate to Google Docs. I leave that to the real pros.
  • Options
    Nicely done, Travis! I’ve been tinkering with something similar in my Excel file (just for Galaxy events thus far), where you type in the event and bonus crew names and it automatically displays both the event-modified stats and highlights the best crew for each skill.

After a little work on this over lunch today, I have something somewhat workable - it’s split into separate worksheets in my Excel workbook...might not be the end of the universe to mash it all together in one but I have to get back to work now and will have to play with that later. For now, I have a name-search tool, a Galaxy crew tool, and a Faction crew tool.

The short version for the name search tool is that Excel’s INDEX and AGGREGATE functions can be made to use a single text input to return a collated list of data from a multi-column set. Column A has each crew’s name, column B has the general character name. If I enter Kirk into the input cell, it will spit out a list of every Kirk variant I have in the whole crew list by the crew name (Evil Kirk, Mirror Kirk, and so on). I think the formula can be expanded to work with multiple columns for traits, which I will experiment with later. Help with these functions, including using other functions to return nice, clean results without error cells, can be found here:

https://www.xelplus.com/return-multiple-match-values-in-excel/

I couldn’t say how well this will translate to Google Docs. I leave that to the real pros.

Like I said, if any of those real pros are willing to do it, I'll gladly give them editing power! Or, for that matter, if whoever is running the Crew lvl 100 sheet wants to incorporate these pages there, I'd be all for it. I think that's @Lady Gaghgagh these days...?
  • Options
    Okay, I've just manually checked the boxes for this week's crew. I'll (try to remember to) add stats for Gladiator Kirk when we find out what they are. Which reminds me: I alphabetized Navaar and Roman Gladiator Kirk with a ZZ in front of their names so they'd be easy to find. I forgot that Navaar's stats were already posted in the event notes for the last event. I've also hidden the columns with base stats because they're extraneous, as they populate under the No Bonus column.

(It goes without saying, I should think, that if you copy the doc as it is right now, you'll want to uncheck the Featured and Bonus Crew boxes.)

I'll do some more tinkering to see about sorting by character. Trait is gonna have to be someone else, though.
  • Options
    Done! There is now a Sort Character column right next to the Crew Member name column. I tinkered some with a few names for the sake of events. For instance Tuvix is alphabetized Tuvix Neelix Tuvok, so searching for either Neelix or Tuvok will find Tuvix.
  • Options
    Done! There is now a Sort Character column right next to the Crew Member name column. I tinkered some with a few names for the sake of events. For instance Tuvix is alphabetized Tuvix Neelix Tuvok, so searching for either Neelix or Tuvok will find Tuvix.

Good work as always Travis!
    I was having a look, and just one thing that I would add, just a small column next to the crew to show crew stars - 1* or 4* etc - so its clearer to see the more useful 4* crew that most would have frozen and may need to thaw out. Not major, just something that may visually help.
  • Options

Good work as always Travis!
    I was having a look, and just one thing that I would add, just a small column next to the crew to show crew stars - 1* or 4* etc - so its clearer to see the more useful 4* crew that most would have frozen and may need to thaw out. Not major, just something that may visually help.

I just color coded 'em. I think when you sort a skill, it'll be easy to glance at the color of the crew member in question.
  • Options

I just color coded 'em. I think when you sort a skill, it'll be easy to glance at the color of the crew member in question.

That is a much better idea, it looks a lot easier. Nice one Travis!
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Here's one that I created, based off (and completely stealing from) the Level 100 spreadsheet. It's a slightly different take, and very specifically designed for Faction events.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZsYmKE87LYMOiGwgXycc6yhjRmVR6jUnbJARxsAeJA/edit?usp=drivesdk
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    Here's one that I created, based off (and completely stealing from) the Level 100 spreadsheet. It's a slightly different take, and very specifically designed for Faction events.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZsYmKE87LYMOiGwgXycc6yhjRmVR6jUnbJARxsAeJA/edit?usp=drivesdk

That link just took me to the Crew lvl 100 sheet, @robownage. Was that a mistake or had you added a tab that I didn't see?
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

That link just took me to the Crew lvl 100 sheet, @robownage. Was that a mistake or had you added a tab that I didn't see?

LOL I wasn't joking when I said I stole from it. This is my own version, and there's a Faction Event tab. I just got rid of a bunch of the other tabs because I never use them.
  • Options

LOL I wasn't joking when I said I stole from it. This is my own version, and there's a Faction Event tab. I just got rid of a bunch of the other tabs because I never use them.

Ah! Very cool. Can't see why anyone would bother with mine if they could have yours.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah! Very cool. Can't see why anyone would bother with mine if they could have yours.

Yours allows for only selecting the ones you have, which mine does not. Definite advantage there! Plus I hadn't bothered to program it for Galaxy, because it's "close enough."
  • Options

quick question @robownage , do you update this sheet yourself with new crew or do you just take a copy of the level 100 and change it for info periodically?
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weyoun 69 wrote: »

quick question @robownage , do you update this sheet yourself with new crew or do you just take a copy of the level 100 and change it for info periodically?

I update it myself, but sometimes life gets in the way and I forget to make the changes. It should be up to date as of two minutes ago!
  • Options
    Weyoun 69 wrote: »

I update it myself, but sometimes life gets in the way and I forget to make the changes. It should be up to date as of two minutes ago!

Thanks, I appreciate the info, and I know what you mean about life getting in the way sometimes!
    If only we were all living on a ship in deep space, no money, no politics, no 9 to 5 job, wouldn't life be a lot easier!! Until the Borg arrive!