Home The Bridge
Options

3 out of 4 Faction weeks in the next Mega Event?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dazlaaaaa wrote: »
    Q is basically "God," but at least he's consistent.

Q was not consistent at all.

I disagree. (See how I didn't call you wrong?)

Sisko was no fun. Q saw that early and left him alone. Picard and Janeway... so much fun! :) Sisko had his hands full with the prophets. Picard and Janeway had all the time in the world to help Q when he was turned human or trying to raise a child.

We are totally off topic by now. Lol. Much agreed. Q did have fun on DS9 ep messing with Vash, and taunting the crew to find the real reason for the station malfunctions. But sisko did not give him any attention therefore Q would not waste time with someone who was “no fun”.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    furyd wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    It’s really not life interfering to take two minutes out of every three hours to reset.

Depends. On a Friday and Monday I'm usually on site at a clients, and it's frequently a case of waiting for my bowels or bladder to go to red alert before I get chance to complete/relaunch shuttles.

And you can’t just say hold on a minute? My Star Trek shuttles are coming in?? I’m sure they would understand! (Tongue in cheek of course)

• Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »
    Not gonna lock every weekend to play some silly mobile game, I have other goals in my life...

Yeah, that is why you said goodbye to this silly mobile game around a year ago and are still here ;)

Came back like 10 days ago, surely one year away is enough to move on. Any other great insight from my profile? :) How is that relevant by the way?
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    furyd wrote: »
    False, it's about making your narrative make sense within the context of its own rules. Time crystals would be welcomed if they were consistent. At this point it's basically "They'll do whatever the plot demands. Make a plant grow in front of Pike? Sure. Age the albino to an adult? Sure. Show Pike his future, but apparently its not set in stone until he takes it? Why not? Soooo... are the crystals sentient, or what's going on here, kids?

Why are we taking a religious orders views on the crystals as fact?

Were the Prophets in DS9 gods or aliens? The Bajora believed they were gods, Starfleet not so much.

The Klingons could believe that once the crystal is taken that future is set, which is different from it being a fact. It could just show you a possible future. Had Pike gone up with the torpedo, that future would've been proved wrong, but we know - because it's a prequel - that wasn't going to happen. His future is set narratively for us.

It might have been better played had he seen a future that was different to one that is going to happen, maybe something even more horrific than what the delta radiation did to make his sacrifice remain meaningful.

And it's not like Trek hasn't history on tweaking tech for reasons of plot - the transporter can make good/evil clones, or just clones. Or make you a kid. Or take you to a mirror universe. Or freeze you in time in a buffer. Or go through shields if you've the right doodad.

The time crystals have at least been relatively consistent in that they muck about with time.

You completely missed the point of that paragraph. At no point did I mention anything regarding Klingons' beliefs. I don't care what they believe. I was listing a few examples of things we saw the crystals do, in order to demonstrate that their effects are highly inconsistent.

Plus when you say "relatively consistent in that they muck about with time" you are literally taking all of the inconsistent effects I described and handwaving them away as a single "yea, they do time stuff."

When this episode aired, everyone was quick to jump on here and defend the idea and say "Look, I googled it and time crystals DO exist! Star Trek was right!" But no one had any idea of what that concept actually meant, they stopped at the headline. In case anyone cares, they're basically a crystalline structure that has a repeating pattern in TIME versus the regular crystals we're used to, that have a repeated pattern in space. Scientists are fascinated with them because they basically break symmetry, you get a different result if you do the same experiment at a different time.

But I'm not here to say the episode didn't use them correctly. I don't care how the episode chose to use them, only that it stayed within its own set of "rules" that it created. Therefore...

My point is that WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE EPISODE, the crystals were shown to do random things at random times, without any consistency as to their effect. For instance, if the plant grew, does everything within a certain "field" grow at the same rate? When the crystals aged Tenavik, did they "choose" to do that, or did the Klingons set him on a pile and then pick him up, like baking cookies? The way Discovery chose to use the crystals implied that they were sentient, DECIDING what do do.

Look, I don't care if they are sentient or not. But the fact is that I was defending Q when I wrote my first post, and you handwaved away my entire argument to discuss beliefs and show plotlines.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Tenavik says "time flows differently for those who protect the crystals. The past, the present, the future, are all equal in their presence." The time crystals should not be linear. The tree growing was cool. I do not mind some mystical aspect to the time crystals because they should look mystical to people who do not understand all the temporal rules like the timekeeper monks do.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    At least shuttle event dont require endless mashing of keys. . . Just log in every 3 hrs send shuttles rinse and repeat.

For those of us with families and busy weekend lives, setting alarms on our cell phones to play a mobile game every 3 hours seems batshit crazy to "normies".

They're both crazy for a mobile game. Set an alarm every 3 hours(or less) vs dedicated multiple multi-hour sessions sitting by your phone/device clicking non-stop.

There are weeks where I don't have time every 3 hours to return to the game, and there are weeks where I don't have the dedicated hours to play a galaxy/skirmish.

Personally my preference is faction/galaxy hybrid because it works best with my normal schedule and has the community rewards. But different people have different schedules so I recognize the type that is good for me may be problematic for others.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it not be annoying if everyone would fully compete in every sort of event? I always rank in Skirmish so 1 of the usual 1500 guys has bad luck. I do not care for Galaxies, so my potential rank is always vacant. For Faction it depends on my and the other's roster. This time I hope to rank.

More variety is key to regular fun for all sort of tastes. So DB... give us an Expedition soon after this Mega! 😊
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    It does kind of **tsk tsk** that there's a faction at the START and the END, meaning:

1) We have to keep the entire set of bonus crew in our active for all 4 weeks.

2) The first faction event will, by nature of being the first event, have less available bonus crew (as we'll be getting more weekly) AND will have Tenavik at either 1 or 2 out of 5 stars (depending on whether you cite him immediately).
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does kind of **tsk tsk** that there's a faction at the START and the END, meaning:

2) The first faction event will, by nature of being the first event, have less available bonus crew (as we'll be getting more weekly) AND will have Tenavik at either 1 or 2 out of 5 stars (depending on whether you cite him immediately).

There is still a ton of bonus crew though. I have 30

• Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

There is still a ton of bonus crew though. I have 30

Preach, Banjy! I haven't even unfrozen most of them. I'm speaking on behalf of those less fortunate. ;)