Home The Bridge
Options

Do you want a new type of event?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in The Bridge
Bylo and I presented ideas for new types of events some weeks back. They did not seem to get much reaction. So I wonder if the player base just wants the familiar events. This could leave more resources to fixing bugs or making new features that are not events.
Farewell 🖖

Do you want a new type of event? 111 votes

No thank you.
7%
Sabine of Athens[NDQ] Joker41NAMZombie Squirrel Jean-Luc KenobicmdrworfMirrorMartiganCatso-{Punisher}-[BAD] 8 votes
Yes, something like voyages.
38%
Warrior WilloAviTrek[QH] OxmyxFrankensteinHungry Dog DDMLeshyAggeJayBeezyBanjo1012Drone_one[S47] ELiLtjman1701gregorytsexy_lady[GoT] Unsober ShimodaMatt_DeckerCharles [TFA] CaptainObvious[CFOH] BearcatThurthorad 43 votes
Yes, something like gauntlet.
7%
CrunchyFleetDirk GundersonIshmael MarxAce_RimmerRen~[RUS] Spok NokPavelHmarschallin 8 votes
Yes, something different from existing features.
45%
JeanLucKirkZ•A•P•P ©™[KM]VidemCaptain TFCaptain DurfFredouJim RaynoreXo | SilverRose (retired)Jim SteeleCommander SinclairRennJaxo12345678 of 123456789CMO Zoidberg(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]SvenLundgrenK Han Solo Ng & Thank4 All DteaIsle OneSoupKitchen RikerCaptain Murphy[10F] Beltalowda Bandit 50 votes
Other, please specify.
1%
Odo MarmarosaMirror Cartman 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically just ANY new one. Expeditions were new for me too though and would not require lots of new programming. *hint*
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    No thank you.
    I'm gonna have to go with no, the addition of a new event might mean the reduction in skirmish events. A new event type may also out the final nail in the coffin of the rare expedition events.
  • Options
    Basically just ANY new one. Expeditions were new for me too though and would not require lots of new programming. *hint*

Many times agree!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some kind of Voyage event sounds insanely relaxing compared to other tap tap tap options.... I'm down!
  • Options
    YES! Literally anything new in regular rotation so we don't have 3 weeks in a row of faction. And for that matter, bring back expeditions, FULL expeditions, in regular rotation. Please, anything new. I'm begging you DB.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a voyage event would be pretty cool. I don’t like the idea of fleet togetherness events. I think a way to make this so without changing event solo accomplishment is to create fleet rewards within the event. Remove the squadron rewards and change them to fleet rewards but make those worth it to a fleet to strive for.
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Yes, a voyage event would be pretty cool. I don’t like the idea of fleet togetherness events. I think a way to make this so without changing event solo accomplishment is to create fleet rewards within the event. Remove the squadron rewards and change them to fleet rewards but make those worth it to a fleet to strive for.

Or even leave the squad rewards as is (they kinda **tsk tsk** anyway, so don’t see a need to remove them) but give the top fleets something like a free pack. Something like that that will be a good enough reward that fleets will try to get it, but not good enough to be game breaking.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Or even leave the squad rewards as is (they kinda **tsk tsk** anyway, so don’t see a need to remove them) but give the top fleets something like a free pack. Something like that that will be a good enough reward that fleets will try to get it, but not good enough to be game breaking.

Works for me.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Obviously, I do. I was wondering if a voyage event would be a thing DB could do and I concluded they couldn't unless they switched to cooperative events full of community rewards instead of competitive ones. I don't see how it could work without being outrageously pay to win - worse than faction, which would be quite a feat. Gauntlet on the other hand might work, it could be nice depending on what rules they set up. It would of course require some adjustments, being able to infinitely revive crew members and massive merit sinks are probably not something any of us want.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Other, please specify.
    I detest the gauntlet, and would hate to see an event based upon it.

Voyages are a good idea, but I keep forgetting to recall them when I try 9 hour plus voyages.
    I currently have a voyage at the 8 1/2 hour mark with 1600 AM which has picked up the President of Earth. I want him, buy I also want to hit my first ten hour voyage. (and I have just avoided a hazard whilst typing this.)

How about an event based upon scans, not very exciting, but fairly simple.

Every time you scan, you pick up some VP. The amount of VP gained depends upon the ship level AM, and the crew skills, with a proficiency roll. Bonus crew would produce more VP, small bonus 2x, and event crew 4x. e.g. Captain Killy would produce 3000 VP for base, and 400-900 for proficiency, Four Killy's on board would net 14000 VP per scan. One scan every three hours (31 scans) would net 434000, enough for threshold rewards. Ad-scans and bonus crew would increase this further.

The week before the event the player could set up their ship and crew. Once the event has started players could just log in once every three hours, do a scan, ad-watch a second, then log out again. Players could have the option to pay a small amount of dil instead of watching an ad. Once (or twice) during the event they might want change their crew when they level up event crew.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »
    Obviously, I do. I was wondering if a voyage event would be a thing DB could do and I concluded they couldn't unless they switched to cooperative events full of community rewards instead of competitive ones. I don't see how it could work without being outrageously pay to win - worse than faction, which would be quite a feat. Gauntlet on the other hand might work, it could be nice depending on what rules they set up. It would of course require some adjustments, being able to infinitely revive crew members and massive merit sinks are probably not something any of us want.

One way to make it not so pay to win is to not allow a refresh as your points are accrued according to length. I would say allow early recalls.

• Options
    Neat ideas here. :)
    Yes is winning by a strong margin.
    Voyage is the current favorite, but "something new" is not far behind.
    I always find it interesting to see what the community likes.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    No thank you.
    If the new event type is another „battle“ style event, then NO THANK YOU.
    At least to me Star Trek is more about exploring, instead fighting and killing.

There are plenty other games out there, where you can battle 24/7, if thats what you desire.

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, please specify.
    If we can't have more expeditions, is there any other way to work the Away-Team branching path feature into an event?
  • Options
    With any kind of new- or old- event, I really want more squadron leader integration. We get to share a crew for the faction missions, but not much else in the way of helping out other squad members. (Unless I'm missing something!)

A voyage kind of event sounds interesting. Not sure the gauntlet sounds very fun. Though, I have trouble with the gauntlet, so that's probably why. Lol.
  • Options
    PavelHPavelH ✭✭✭
    I'm in the minority apparently, but would enjoy a Gauntlet type event. Something like normal gauntlet but the recharge time is like 5 mins. Bonus points if it drops the same boxes as the gauntlet, would really make me look forward to it. It would also allow me to add the remaining stars on everyone but Armus.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PavelH wrote: »
    I'm in the minority apparently, but would enjoy a Gauntlet type event. Something like normal gauntlet but the recharge time is like 5 mins. Bonus points if it drops the same boxes as the gauntlet, would really make me look forward to it. It would also allow me to add the remaining stars on everyone but Armus.

Thinking about a gauntlet event didn’t really excite me but the way you explained it sounds pretty cool and worthwhile. You convinced me to be on board with your idea.

• Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Why not create a type of event where every player in the squad shares one crew and the entire squad has to use only those crew that is shared for like galaxy events or even maybe a voyages event where two crew are shared per player in each squad. Then when that crew is used, a percent of the points goes to the player whose crew was used, like in factions.
  • Options
    There are some antisocial players in a fleet of one who would be left out. I would hate to penalize them. But otherwise, that would be a really fun idea and I would love to give it a try. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some antisocial players in a fleet of one who would be left out. I would hate to penalize them. But otherwise, that would be a really fun idea and I would love to give it a try. :)

True, but then many fleets have higher starbases than a one man fleet.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not create a type of event where every player in the squad shares one crew and the entire squad has to use only those crew that is shared for like galaxy events or even maybe a voyages event where two crew are shared per player in each squad. Then when that crew is used, a percent of the points goes to the player whose crew was used, like in factions.

That would be a huge penalty to smaller fleets and fleets with primarily casual players. I can’t put into words how upset I would be if I wanted to get the ranked 5* crew in an event but finished in 14,000th place because my squadmates’ crew wasn’t very good. I’m the only person in my fleet that regularly finishes above about 6,000th place and don’t want to be faced with the choice of staying with a boat anchor that forces me to spend more money to get the crew and resources I want, or leaving for a fleet of strangers.

I love any idea that increases crew sharing opportunities, I just want to share my bountiful crew with them more often than in only Faction events...not so much the other way around. :)
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a huge penalty to smaller fleets and fleets with primarily casual players. I can’t put into words how upset I would be if I wanted to get the ranked 5* crew in an event but finished in 14,000th place because my squadmates’ crew wasn’t very good. I’m the only person in my fleet that regularly finishes above about 6,000th place and don’t want to be faced with the choice of staying with a boat anchor that forces me to spend more money to get the crew and resources I want, or leaving for a fleet of strangers.

I love any idea that increases crew sharing opportunities, I just want to share my bountiful crew with them more often than in only Faction events...not so much the other way around. :)

I really like Trista's idea, and not just because I'm kissing up to my fleet admiral. ;) The ability to work together as a team like that would be fun, and it would increase engagement for those who have active teammates. No one who feels part of a team wants to let his/her teammates down.

But I remember the first fleet I belonged to, and with which I stayed for a year out of a sense of loyalty. Only a handful of us were hitting the dailies every day, working to place in the top 1k for events, etc. So I agree with others there needs to be a way to even it out a little.

What if every player in the squad had the ability to put one crew into the "share" pool, but then you get to decide if you use your own crew or shared crew when you fill up your Voyage?
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Something involving team work to achieve an objective would be nice.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Team work events would cause too many problems for small fleets and non whales. Non whales would be pressured to spend money and it would greatly drop off the enjoyment of the game. An event utilizing voyages would be fun but perhaps difficult to set up.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Crash41Crash41 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Speaking as one who has a lot of ships, but has them stuck at a low-to-intermediate level, the last Skirmish event was not fun in the extreme. I, for one, would love to never have to go through another Skirmish ever again.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Team work events would cause too many problems for small fleets and non whales. Non whales would be pressured to spend money and it would greatly drop off the enjoyment of the game. An event utilizing voyages would be fun but perhaps difficult to set up.

No it wouldn’t, especially if the objectives to achieve are leveled. Lower levels for less developed players, high levels for the “whales” you allude to. Other games like Battle Pirates have made it work (in that game, players worked together to destroy enemy bases). In that system, they had reward tiers at point levels much like our regular rewards, where if someone at any level was willing to grind away, he or she could obtain some nice loot. I fail to see how STT couldn’t do something similar in terms of a teamwork based event style. As far as being pressured to spend money... it is easier now-a-days to save up for a particular event and make the standard in-game threshold rewards. Being discerning with the events played will also help in that endeavor so people do not necessarily have to spend money as no one has to play all events.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

No it wouldn’t, especially if the objectives to achieve are leveled. Lower levels for less developed players, high levels for the “whales” you allude to. Other games like Battle Pirates have made it work (in that game, players worked together to destroy enemy bases). In that system, they had reward tiers at point levels much like our regular rewards, where if someone at any level was willing to grind away, he or she could obtain some nice loot. I fail to see how STT couldn’t do something similar in terms of a teamwork based event style. As far as being pressured to spend money... it is easier now-a-days to save up for a particular event and make the standard in-game threshold rewards. Being discerning with the events played will also help in that endeavor so people do not necessarily have to spend money as no one has to play all events.

I would suggest no one base any game on a kixeye product. I played Vega Conflict for years and watched as Kixeye over monetized it into disaster. One event every three months turned into events all the time. One after the other with no time without events with players spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars getting the brand new ships and levelling them up to have all the ships be nearly worthless at the end of the six months when Kixeye would release the next grouping of ships and tech. Tens of thousands quit Vega Conflict including many players that had come over from Battle Pirates when it was such a mess. Go on any kixeye forum and see the rage from the players. Just non stop grinding for ships that are obsolete soon after you get them. I heard from players in Battle Pirates it would take a month or longer to build one ship just like in Vega Conflict. Lots of loot boxes you work to get that then have bad stuff you do not want cause the good stuff has such a low drop rate. Events made where no matter how good your ships and flying were you could not escape taking damage and have to repair your ships for hours, sometimes days. Nothing but grinding endlessly and nothing else to do because no one has time for anything else.
    Let’s fly!