Home The Bridge
Options

Vina now Pining Vina

I just saw "Pining Vina" in the Gauntlet and thought it was a mistake, until I went through my crew roster and found DB changed her name!

Better name, but unexpected since no announcement...
I want to become a Dilionaire...

Comments

• Options
    jweoza8pzaye.png
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps they wanted the Nog announcement to stand alone even though they made other changes
  • Options
    My guess is Shan was just too busy since she won't be around tomorrow, and just forgot.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    sneaky changes :#
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was there a request to change it like Tribunal Pike?
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a strong push, but there was some angst over whether calling her "Vina" was appropriate since a) she isn't TOS Vina, and b) most crew have a qualifier in their name. Since there are now 3 variants of VIna, adding "Pining" seems reasonable.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a strong push, but there was some angst over whether calling her "Vina" was appropriate since a) she isn't TOS Vina, and b) most crew have a qualifier in their name. Since there are now 3 variants of VIna, adding "Pining" seems reasonable.

Yup - if we’re going to have a crew that is just the name of the character, the art used should be a prototypical representation of the character: Janeway with her coffee, Kirk with a phaser and a communicator, and the like. Disco Vina doesn’t fit that criteria, and I would say not just because she isn’t the TOS version, but because guest stars really end up being quite situational in nature anyway. Even Q, whose “typical” look would be the TNG captain’s uniform, has “Captain Q” instead of just “Q.” I’d just prefer that future Vina variants, should there be any, get the same treatment - Picnic Vina or Stranded Vina would be just fine.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup - if we’re going to have a crew that is just the name of the character, the art used should be a prototypical representation of the character: Janeway with her coffee, Kirk with a phaser and a communicator, and the like. Disco Vina doesn’t fit that criteria, and I would say not just because she isn’t the TOS version, but because guest stars really end up being quite situational in nature anyway. Even Q, whose “typical” look would be the TNG captain’s uniform, has “Captain Q” instead of just “Q.” I’d just prefer that future Vina variants, should there be any, get the same treatment - Picnic Vina or Stranded Vina would be just fine.

If you'll indulge the pedantry, you've alluded to "Captain Janeway" and "Captain Kirk". The more appropriate analog for the former would be 2* Kathryn Janeway.

That's not important, though. What is important is that there is presently no James T. Kirk. I'd really like that version of him to be from The Search for Spock. Everything I appreciate about him is showcased in that movie, particularly his loyalty, his resilience, and his willingness to think outside the box (i.e., violate a dozen laws). Specifically, I'd go with something from this moment, when he recomposes himself after being told that the Klingons had just killed David. "I swear to you, we're not finished yet," he announces to his crew. "Rogue Kirk" would be more in keeping with DB's naming conventions, but for my money, it doesn't get any more "James T. Kirk" than that.

outaqtf5oyai.jpg
    gzulhwmo07xb.jpg

I’d go for him even if he was the ranked reward in a Galaxy event.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, a character from a series of shows that has always been about empowerment of everyone {and the current incarnation has several strong female characters} has a character in this game now that has a name that implies she is "incomplete" or something without her "man"?!?!?
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't like the change but it makes more sense now I guess so thanks for that. I just wish it were a better adjective because I don't think it exactly fits the scene, it wasn't that extreme.