Home The Bridge
Options

Flashback, Re-run, or New Event?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
There's benefits to each type of event and my personal preference is just a good rotation. Every now and then, I see an interesting sub-topic in a thread and get curious how the forum folks feel about it in general. Thanks to those who indulge my curiosity and cast a vote. :)

Flashbacks have a great predictability factor and give a chance to add a star to an existing 1/5.

Re-runs are a little less predictable, but offer a shot to add stars to two 1/5's.

New Events add fresh new crew to the game, but also tend to add to the dreaded "honor debt".
Farewell 🖖

Flashback, Re-run, or New Event? 64 votes

Flashback
20%
SSR BarkleyRocpileeXo | das411Jim RaynoreXo | RajiPaladin 27guest_757423444811776Gib - Admiral MarinersSFTF | Jey]§[ JonathanMirrorVerse JcEnderWCaptain Idol 13 votes
Re-run
64%
ADM Fletcher [ET]Warrior WilloAviTrekV.Travis S McClaineXo | SilverRose (retired)HaBlackCapt AjammCaptain Q[SSR] GTMETHungry Dog DDM12345678 of 123456789(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]AggeJayBeezy[CFOH] Earl Grey~peregrine~Drone_oneSoupKitchen RikerOdo Marmarosa 41 votes
New Event
15%
Zombie Squirrel Banjo1012Captain MurphyFrank?[Deleted User]IronagedaveCastell-NeathMúspell[BAD]AldudeThurthoradII 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Re-run
    Not that it really matters to me as I rarely every try for an under rank 1500 finish and even when a gold is in the thresholds, at 400k I have yet to get it... But I think it's better for others and would be for me if I had the resources.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-run
    My army of 1/5s is starting to pile up, so the re-run format is definitely my preferred approach, because I have a choice of getting a new 5* while having a good chance of adding a star to an existing gold. But I do have an appreciation for Flashback as well since it doesn't add any new golds to my crew.
  • Options
    10 votes and no one picked new event yet. Intriguing. 🤔
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Event
    Then allow me to be the first. Now before I get shredded for saying this, I know not everyone does things the way I do. If there wS a 5* I wanted, I would have gotten them 5/5 the first tine around .New crew is so much better than one I’ve already had the chance to get.
  • Options
    My gripe with Flashbacks is the lack of a 5* card at 400k.

I could get the "it's easier" argument had this weeks not had the new reward structure, it's wouldn't be that difficult to shoe-in an existing card.

Doesn't need to be the events 5*, just one thematically related either by one of the event crew, or their traits. It would be a nice way to get older, less-useful, cards up a level and heading towards the freezer.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-run
    Reruns obviously, the game is getting really stale so characters collection helps a bit.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    New Event
    Flashback followed by rerun/sequel with reduced event pack costs it’s like a mini mega event where you can win/add some stars to gold crew.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    eXo | SilverRose (retired)eXo | SilverRose (retired) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Re-run
    Adding to the chorus of voices, flashback + 400k threshold gold would be the ideal way to do it. Voted for rerun because I like the certainty of a gold at 400k.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flashback

Re-runs are a little less predictable, but offer a shot to add stars to two 1/5's.

I realize it's Friday, and maybe my brain isn't totally working right now, as I stare at the clock, dying to get out here here but.......

how is this accurate? in reruns, you can add a star at a 400k threshold. The rank reward the previous week introduces a whole new 1/5. the rank reward in the rerun rewards yet another brand new 1/5.

at no point are you adding stars to two separate 1/5s, unless you're buying packs.

:s
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll abstain from the vote because new events and re-run/flashback events are nice at different times. Re-run and flashback events offer opportunities to take a weekend off without feeling like I’m missing out on something, while new events provide new crew that sometimes are very desirable for stats or just because they happen to be favorites.

If we’re going just between flashback and re-runs, then I think I would prefer a flashback for a Galaxy (because I then don’t have to waste another 50k VP worth of chrons and items on clearing thresholds) and re-run for Faction events because I can usually clear 400k VP without having to go nuts on boosts/tokens.
  • Options
    Flashback
    At this juncture in the game “flashbacks” have been promoted down time from new events ( new crew cards art, programming, design concepts, and story lines) Allowing the team to work on long overdue Requested upgrades, glitch fixes.
    Although i havent seen much in this direction yet...... i am still holding out hope that our requests are being taken seriously and the tech team is actually working on some stuff during this downtime. I also realize most events are in the planning and tech stage months in advance so we may not see results immediately.
  • Options
    I am also abstaining from the vote, as all 3 have equal positives and negatives in my mind.

I enjoy flashbacks so I can take a week off from Events and generally not worry about rank rewards. Unless it is a Skirmish, then I may participate more.

Reruns are generally all "threshold and out" for the past year+. Good for a little play, then also good for a 6 day break from Events afterwards.

I would genuinely love to see a new event type, but I know that even if one was in the works, it will be some time before we see it, so, I'll be happy when it comes, and mildly contented if it doesn't.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    New Event
    Had to vote new event.....how else will I get my Discovery Janeway!!? Lol
  • Options

I realize it's Friday, and maybe my brain isn't totally working right now, as I stare at the clock, dying to get out here here but.......

how is this accurate? in reruns, you can add a star at a 400k threshold. The rank reward the previous week introduces a whole new 1/5. the rank reward in the rerun rewards yet another brand new 1/5.

at no point are you adding stars to two separate 1/5s, unless you're buying packs.

:s

Man... You're right. I hate it when I mess up on a poll. I can't fix it. It should have been a star for an existing 1/5 and a new 1/5.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-run
    One difference between flashbacks and reruns that hasn’t been mentioned is w/r/t the 4* crew. In a rerun (I, too, prefer “sequel”) the cards are switched between ranked and threshold rewards, whereas in a flashback they remain as they were.

I realize that most Forum regulars probably are more concerned about the 5* crew, but having the chance to FF any card in an Event is worth my consideration. 🖖

I think they gave up on that concept. Ever since I cared enough to look original runs up on wiki which is like 5 months the rerun threshold was always exactly the same as written there.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Re-run
    That 400k vp gold gets my vote
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    Re-run
    One difference between flashbacks and reruns that hasn’t been mentioned is w/r/t the 4* crew. In a rerun (I, too, prefer “sequel”) the cards are switched between ranked and threshold rewards, whereas in a flashback they remain as they were.

I realize that most Forum regulars probably are more concerned about the 5* crew, but having the chance to FF any card in an Event is worth my consideration. 🖖

I only have 41 4* crew who aren't fully fused. It makes no difference to me whether they're in the thresholds or rank table at this point. Most of them are in the time portal/Voyage loot table by now, which makes them less even of a concern. The 5* crew are considerably tougher to finish and so long as the 400k offering is exclusive to Replays, that's where my enthusiasm lies.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably re-run ... I absolutely hate how flashback events are structured regarding rewards.

- re-run, I can take it easy the weekend before and not bother picking up the new crew.
    - during the re-run event itself I can hit 400k and add a star to a 1/5 (or grab an old card that is already in portal and could be fused through beholds).
    - Then just call it a day.

The thing that's is terrible about flashbacks is that I have to do well the week prior! to add a star to an old card. For example, this past weekend I was on vacation so had no shot to get a 1/5 Honey Bare by coming in top 1500 ... now during the event itself she's not in the rewards, so another weekend off really because the new 5* looks kinda meh.
    (I already have Honey Bare immortal so wasn't really bothered by it).

Hitting a VP target (e.g. 400k) is easier than hitting a top 1500 if you've got a lot of other things going on in real life during an event.

But ... I'd rather have a more player-friendly reward structure regarding older cards.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Re-run
    I think that Flashback events could be much more interesting if they didn't change the reward structure at all. That is, if they had kept Honey Bare as the ranked reward in the flashback. There might have been a lot more competition (which could be annoying too, I guess) but it would have meant adding 2 stars to her in two consecutive events, for those willing and able to be competitive in both.

Flashback events with the same ranked 5* could also be a chance for newer players to compete or at least to compete against newer players and long-time low spenders and not against whales, who would probably have the crew immortal already or have no interest in getting a weak legendary.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Re-run
    I’ve had enough with new events for a bit. I’d much rather increase what I already possess.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-run
    I think that Flashback events could be much more interesting if they didn't change the reward structure at all. That is, if they had kept Honey Bare as the ranked reward in the flashback. There might have been a lot more competition (which could be annoying too, I guess) but it would have meant adding 2 stars to her in two consecutive events, for those willing and able to be competitive in both.

Flashback events with the same ranked 5* could also be a chance for newer players to compete or at least to compete against newer players and long-time low spenders and not against whales, who would probably have the crew immortal already or have no interest in getting a weak legendary.

But who would be event crew next week in this scenario? Honey? Again? This would probably have turned the last week's event into a bloodbath with a reward relevant for two weeks in a row... Don't you think?

Apart from that concern I like the idea.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Flashback
    I like the flash backs. No new crew to worry about, save money on Wednesday, and if the 5* is not immortalized, earn an extra star the week before. I finished Honey Bear this week.
  • Options
    Re-run

But who would be event crew next week in this scenario? Honey? Again? This would probably have turned the last week's event into a bloodbath with a reward relevant for two weeks in a row... Don't you think?

Apart from that concern I like the idea.

Yes, she would have been event crew twice in a row. I know that something like that could turn the event into a bloodbath, but I'm not sure if it actually would (I mean, with a reward like Honey Bare, it probably would have ended that way, but with someone like Goddess of Empathy Troi maybe not). I think it could be worth trying. Not all players are able or willing to rank in the top 1500 in two consecutive events and a lot of those who can might not be willing to do it because they already have the crew FF or because they don't want to waste resources on a weak 2/5* or 3/5* legendary. Or maybe everyone would try to compete, I really don't know.
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intentionally Left Blank