Home The Bridge
Options

Skirmishes: What Gives?

Comments

• Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Last full skirmish I sat on the couch with my wife and we watched an entire season of The Great British Baking Show, and I skirmished the entire time.

This is exactly what happens with my wife and me, but not just for skirmishes. She loves that show, and I don't mind half-paying attention while playing STT.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last full skirmish I sat on the couch with my wife and we watched an entire season of The Great British Baking Show, and I skirmished the entire time.

This is exactly what happens with my wife and me, but not just for skirmishes. She loves that show, and I don't mind half-paying attention while playing STT.
    I think this would make Skirmishes unbearable for me. Furtunately my husband likes the shows I like, e.g. ST, Farscape, GoT, SHIELD, The Man in the Highcastle or How to get away with Murder. Enough to do anyway. No baking in this house. 😂
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this would make Skirmishes unbearable for me. Furtunately my husband likes the shows I like, e.g. ST, Farscape, GoT, SHIELD, The Man in the Highcastle or How to get away with Murder. Enough to do anyway. No baking in this house. 😂

Sure, you know all about saving the galaxy/planet/alternate timeline/etc. and what to do about Nazis from another dimension. But do you know how to make mincemeat pies with hot water pastry crust -- and not end up with a soggy bottom??
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, you know all about saving the galaxy/planet/alternate timeline/etc. and what to do about Nazis from another dimension. But do you know how to make mincemeat pies with hot water pastry crust -- and not end up with a soggy bottom??

Heck no, I only hope this does not really exist?! You never know with those Brits...
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like Paul Hollywood is giving me that icy stare of death right this moment....
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a meme for those situations, EVERY time somebody presents something with that dreaded baking pitfall we loudly proclaim "HASHTAG SOGGY BOTTOM!"
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    First of skirmishes are boring (my point of view) repetitive events. I'd also guess that there are lot less people who buy ship packs ... (I think i may have bought 1 or 2 max since I'm playing , almost since the game came out) . As well as there's the fact that some people still bot the event ... (not pointing fingers)
    I'd also wager that the skirmish fatigue will be bigger the say the faction fatigue that most of us feel right now ...

I had to identify Sisko SIX times yesterday. I doubt bots are picking the right image......
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    I totally agree with many other comments in this thread concerning time consumption, skirmish fatigue, and aching hands.
    I understand skirmish is fun for a minute, and sometimes easier for some players.
    But 4 days of entire skirmish is excruciating. It should be a mixed event. I do like skirmish for the first 24-48 hrs. But a part 2 making 4 days is tooooo much. Why not mix skirmish as part 2 to faction event, or part 2 to galaxy, or vise versa, part 1. Mix it up. Ppl will still get the skirmish they ask for but it would be nice to mix things up and possible re-arrange the (part 1 / part 2) for something different that ppl have asked for. Yes it is the same basics, but maybe switching “the order of things“ would help alleviate some boredom until a new event type arrives.
    And before anyone says “dont play it for the full 4 days”, i would pre-emptively remind those, if you are in a fleet (as most are) the object is to compete and support your fleet. So most feel compelled to participate out of a sense of duty and responsibility to be a productive member of the fleet even if reaching rank is not your personal goal.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    And before anyone says “dont play it for the full 4 days”, i would pre-emptively remind those, if you are in a fleet (as most are) the object is to compete and support your fleet. So most feel compelled to participate out of a sense of duty and responsibility to be a productive member of the fleet even if reaching rank is not your personal goal.

A couple of hours are enough to rank. "Productive" should not mean to sacrifice your RL but rather to contribute to your fleet's daily targets. Everything else is assiduity work.

The squad's and fleet's ranking is pointless anyway, at least from my point of view. If there is no proper reward I do not care.
  • Options
    MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

A couple of hours are enough to rank. "Productive" should not mean to sacrifice your RL but rather to contribute to your fleet's daily targets. Everything else is assiduity work.

The squad's and fleet's ranking is pointless anyway, at least from my point of view. If there is no proper reward I do not care.

Agreed. The game is supposed to be fun. Grinding 4 days of skirmish is not fun. Thats why i suggested skirmish as mixed events. I usually try to be offering alternative suggestions, ideas or solutions not just a complaint. And squad/fleet rank does not reward hardly enough for what time is invested. What i meant was a personal under 15k for the ranking 5* gold reward for personal goals. Skirmish is by far the most time consuming to achieve that.
  • Options
    True, It is one of 2 types of events I have yet to finish in the top 1500, the other, Expeditions,
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly enjoy Skirmishes and usually spend like 10 hours on them. But that lets me end up below 300. Is it really that tough to reach 1500?
  • Options
    If I had spent more time, I could. but Life gets in the way. I place really well in Faction events now, and good in Gauntlet. I just need to figure out the method to do for the Skirmishes.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly enjoy Skirmishes and usually spend like 10 hours on them. But that lets me end up below 300. Is it really that tough to reach 1500?

No it's not, it takes at most one hour to clear the thresholds. I like skirmishes far more than faction events anyway. I can play skirmishes when I want to and don't have to babysit stupid shuttles even if it's not convenient to me. I play my ship battles on the computer, I have a good chair and desk and I can watch something on the other screen. I'd rather have skirmishes every two weeks instead of shuttles every two weeks to be honest. I'm busy most weekends, friends, family, other hobbies, and skirmishes work better with activities that suffer no interruption.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I like skirmishes because I earn back about all the chrons I use (with a voyage here and there added in). It’s just a time issue at that point, and I am not willing to power through 15 hours a day during an event (but others are). I don’t mind straight skirmishes, but would prefer a faction/Skirmish hybrid.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with @Ren~ on this one with regard to time, it may take slightly more than an hour, but I choose to not get bogged down in an argument over a few extra minutes. The point is it doesn't take all that much time to hit threshold.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    My rule of thumb is ~120K per hour as a realistic pace (~3 min per 5 battles, 20 skirmishes per hour). I can do them closer to 2.5 min with my usual set-up, but that requires focus. Since I do most of my skirmishing while watching tv, 3 min is more common. (Not counting the kitchen run, the animals climbing on my lap and interrupting, etc.)
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I averaged 2:15/skirmish. That was with D'Kora and enough burst damage to immediately kill at 4s. I can't imagine people being much faster. That's 2 hours 12 minutes minus maybe a touch for random drops of VP.

If all you want is to clear threshold, I agree skirmishes are great. However, if you want to rank and need 800k+ VP then you're talking 5+ hours of playing. At that point I'd rather a faction event and not need to sit in front of my phone/computer for 5+ hours.

I still maintain the best option is a hybrid event. You get the free 4th copy of the new 4*, you get an extra free 10x pack, and there are only 2 days of galaxy to reduce the total spent in the galaxy half.

The grind in a Skirmish isn’t as bothersome, at least for me, since you do get honor/chrons in the process. I can barely stand to clear 160k VP in a full Galaxy and avoid phase 2 of any Faction/Galaxy hybrid, whereas I had no problem this weekend running battles while watching TV or reading news stories...918th place required about 1-2 hours every day of the event, and it still felt less stressful than a Galaxy event where I completely mail it in. It’s not even the resource drain that’s the tiring part of Galaxy events, I just can’t stand building recipes over and over again.

I really think that it's the animations....take so long collectively when you want a good event finish that they feel as repetitive as skirmishes... To me anyway
  • Options
    From a post I read over a year ago, the Galaxy event scoring rate is about 200K/ hour. Per @{DD} Smelly "My point though was that it took me 38 minutes to rack up 130k vp."

It would make sense that Skirmishes have a similar max scoring rate. If DB, is going to keep giving us great freebies, I would expect them to want us engaged for a similar, if not slightly longer, amount of real time.

Hopefully, I'll get my RPC finished soon and be less susceptible to RNG in the future. That Warbird in phase 2 was a real PITA.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it great that each event type has a fairly unique feel and level of time/attention required? Something for everyone. I hope any possible new event type also feels sufficiently different from the others.

This deserves more than one Awesome. This is a hope that I share.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it great that each event type has a fairly unique feel and level of time/attention required? Something for everyone. I hope any possible new event type also feels sufficiently different from the others.

That would be even better if DB could adhere to a strict rotation of the event types. :) There are 4, that's enough not to have the same one twice a month.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I averaged 2:15/skirmish. That was with D'Kora and enough burst damage to immediately kill at 4s. I can't imagine people being much faster. That's 2 hours 12 minutes minus maybe a touch for random drops of VP.

If all you want is to clear threshold, I agree skirmishes are great. However, if you want to rank and need 800k+ VP then you're talking 5+ hours of playing. At that point I'd rather a faction event and not need to sit in front of my phone/computer for 5+ hours.

I still maintain the best option is a hybrid event. You get the free 4th copy of the new 4*, you get an extra free 10x pack, and there are only 2 days of galaxy to reduce the total spent in the galaxy half.

Pretty much exactly what i said just in different wording.