Options

Skirmishes: What Gives?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Ren~ wrote: »
    Isn't it great that each event type has a fairly unique feel and level of time/attention required? Something for everyone. I hope any possible new event type also feels sufficiently different from the others.

That would be even better if DB could adhere to a strict rotation of the event types. :) There are 4, that's enough not to have the same one twice a month.

We really can’t count Expeditions anymore (PITA to assemble, little/no monetization, and limited desire from the player base except for a few rabid fans) and for the purposes of this discussion I don’t think Hybrids would count either. Given how each event has its detractors, I’d say this highlights just how much we need one or even two more new event types...everyone gets a bit more of a break from the events they don’t like and we have something new to strategize for.

I'm all for more event types, but in this case I was considering hybrids as a separate type out of pure self-interest - community rewards. But yes, something new that does not require 3h of uninterrupted attention like skirmishes or interaction every x hours like factions would probably satisfy most people.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it great that each event type has a fairly unique feel and level of time/attention required? Something for everyone. I hope any possible new event type also feels sufficiently different from the others.

That would be even better if DB could adhere to a strict rotation of the event types. :) There are 4, that's enough not to have the same one twice a month.

We really can’t count Expeditions anymore (PITA to assemble, little/no monetization, and limited desire from the player base except for a few rabid fans) and for the purposes of this discussion I don’t think Hybrids would count either. Given how each event has its detractors, I’d say this highlights just how much we need one or even two more new event types...everyone gets a bit more of a break from the events they don’t like and we have something new to strategize for.

I'm all for more event types, but in this case I was considering hybrids as a separate type out of pure self-interest - community rewards. But yes, something new that does not require 3h of uninterrupted attention like skirmishes or interaction every x hours like factions would probably satisfy most people.

Maybe I lack creativity, but what else is there? I've only played a couple mobile games, but those two concepts are all I've seen: check in every X hours/minutes or commit to some grinding. I mean... I've seen ads for puzzle games, but I don't see puzzle events working for this game. Anyone else got an idea to throw out?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea I had a while ago was improvements on skirmishes. Make the battles escalating difficulty and vp. And make you think more about crew for each battle. Have bonus crew be more significant than just point multipliers. Eventually you hit a point where you need to debate the tradeoff between best crew and bonus crew. Some people might be able to go 10-20 battles before losing. Others might lose at 5. Once you lose you would be able to start a new skirmish like now. So you could still grind. But if you can go to 20 battles you will be earning a lot more points so your grind will be less than someone who is losing at 5 battles.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Maybe I lack creativity, but what else is there? I've only played a couple mobile games, but those two concepts are all I've seen: check in every X hours/minutes or commit to some grinding. I mean... I've seen ads for puzzle games, but I don't see puzzle events working for this game. Anyone else got an idea to throw out?

I have only tried like 3 mobile games, they're not my thing usually, but what I've seen elsewhere involved a set of quests - completing x tasks sequentially like levelling up characters or collecting/spending some resources, a temporary battle pass (like campaigns) over a week, using additional items that were added as rewards to normal tasks and some sort of clan boss battle involving throwing your characters at a wall you had to destroy and higher rolls removed more health. A bit like the gauntlet but not like the gauntlet at all since it was once a day. All this from 3 mobile games only. That's not counting the many PC games I've played and the wealth of temporary content they have. I'm sure DB could get something similar to work as one of the other mobiles game I've played came up with something new every week, so it's not an herculean task...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    The idea I had a while ago was improvements on skirmishes. Make the battles escalating difficulty and vp. And make you think more about crew for each battle. Have bonus crew be more significant than just point multipliers. Eventually you hit a point where you need to debate the tradeoff between best crew and bonus crew. Some people might be able to go 10-20 battles before losing. Others might lose at 5. Once you lose you would be able to start a new skirmish like now. So you could still grind. But if you can go to 20 battles you will be earning a lot more points so your grind will be less than someone who is losing at 5 battles.

I was thinking that for factions. Why stop at 4000? Increase the difficulty until it gets too much for the crew you have. Or another tier of galaxy that has higher chron cost items to obtain but gives out higher VP. That would reduce the time it takes in a galaxy event to score high

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some good stuff. Chipping away at a wall ain't bad, but I don't know how much variation there would be between fleets/squadrons. Some of the other stuff sounds like dailies that we already have. I suppose more daily stuff could be added. Increasing faction difficulty/reward is really interesting. More expensive Galaxy recipes is interesting too.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the idea of a voyage event. We have the skirmish for arena. We have faction for shuttles. We have galaxy for galaxy map. Voyage is the last untapped solo part of the game. I do not know how a starbase event would not be patently unfair for anyone who is not in a large strong active fleet.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the idea of a voyage event. We have the skirmish for arena. We have faction for shuttles. We have galaxy for galaxy map. Voyage is the last untapped solo part of the game. I do not know how a starbase event would not be patently unfair for anyone who is not in a large strong active fleet.

The gauntlet is also missing a related event...I can understand why making one might not be popular, of course.

100% agree about fleets, however - it’s one reason I haven’t been at all worried that fleet rank rewards haven’t been added to events or that squadron rewards remain entirely worthless. If that part of existing events were overhauled (or a new fleet/starbase-centric event were to be released), big fleets would have a huge advantage over fleets like mine that may have 21/50 members on paper but really only have 8 or so active people and only three that ever rank above 10,000th place in any event type.
  • Options

The gauntlet is also missing a related event...I can understand why making one might not be popular, of course.

100% agree about fleets, however - it’s one reason I haven’t been at all worried that fleet rank rewards haven’t been added to events or that squadron rewards remain entirely worthless. If that part of existing events were overhauled (or a new fleet/starbase-centric event were to be released), big fleets would have a huge advantage over fleets like mine that may have 21/50 members on paper but really only have 8 or so active people and only three that ever rank above 10,000th place in any event type.

Oh silly me, I forgot the gauntlet. I guess that comes from not playing it for a few days. Boy do my merits pile up when I do not play gauntlet.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

Battle Royale but different characters we own have different abilities to suit different playstyles? Be a large majority of romulan, Klingon, ferengi, Borg, hirogen, bajoran, and cardassian, weapons scattered around a big map that looks like one of those cheesy multiple use tos tv sets? We could drive around those 4 wheel buggy things that Picard liked driving fast when Data wanted him to drive at a safer speed. Plus attack shuttles maybe? Oh and hyposprays for meds? Maybe even include rare one use site to site transporters? Id definitely play that!!! But this is db, who still hasn't fixed the voyages to make ships sortable so... Probably expecting too much but i can dream.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh silly me, I forgot the gauntlet. I guess that comes from not playing it for a few days. Boy do my merits pile up when I do not play gauntlet.

If you don’t refresh the opponents but still play, they pile up even faster. Does that mean I might redshirt a once-used 25% Chancellor Gowron on a MED/SEC matchup to avoid losing my unused 25% Mirror Picard? Yup (I did that this morning). Such is life, and even though I will rarely crack the top ten I get a nice boost to incoming merits, credits, and single basic packs for funding the daily 3x purchase mission.
  • Options

If you don’t refresh the opponents but still play, they pile up even faster. Does that mean I might redshirt a once-used 25% Chancellor Gowron on a MED/SEC matchup to avoid losing my unused 25% Mirror Picard? Yup (I did that this morning). Such is life, and even though I will rarely crack the top ten I get a nice boost to incoming merits, credits, and single basic packs for funding the daily 3x purchase mission.

True but I cannot resist that temptation. What if the next group of refreshed opponents is better?
    Let’s fly!