Home The Bridge
Options

DB I would like to know the bad-luck equation

2»

Comments

• Options
    Good job bringing the negativity over from the old forums.
  • Options
    It is great to see others step up when a good fleet gets slandered by a player who obviously does not know. SSR is a really great group of people.

Now back to the original programming.
    Why would DB need to share any of its RNG equations or anything else behind the scenes to any player. If you believe it's faulty, no matter what anyone says or shows you, that is what you are going to believe. I've seen the same players beating this dead horse since a month after Gauntlet was released. If you don't like the way it works, STOP PLAYING IT. Or at the very least, learn how to operate within the expected parameters. I don't care if Seven over performs or if Kahless underperforms. I just keep playing, getting what I can get and on occasion, win one. Let it go already. Do you get mad at the carnival games or do you just avoid playing them. Oh, I would also suggest that you never go to Vegas if you can't handle a bad beat.

That's an interesting analogy because if we're talking a scenario similar to playing a slot machine, there can't be any sort of messing around with the odds of individual pulls and is in fact strictly regulated. If DB is doing anything to alter the odds (say, increasing the AI's chance for high rolls on reward tier thresholds), it would be a valid concern for the player base.

taking it up a notch: imagine GM or VW saying the same thing..."you claim the car is defective, STOP DRIVING IT!"

for all who think this way: this is not a free game...this is not a tv channel...this is something i payed for and i want it to work within normal and fair parameters

This is not a ftp game if the odds are not fair within the free features. Whether I use crew I paid $$ for or if I am using the exact same crew that i got free I should be facing the same luck. Am I?

And I don't mean the perception of luck, cuz some persons perception of fun is spending money for nothng. 'Entertainment purposes only' delivers fine for these and so they don't need any assurance of fairness. They're entertained by paying to lose. And always defend it's fine to lose. Or recommend stop playing to those who don't also, when they begin to question if winning is actually possible.

Hmm...
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    Just had 3 rounds of gauntlet where my character scored minimum prof and the opponent scored maximum...this is actually a very common ocurence.

Of course, the reverse doesn't really happen...in over 4k rounds, only once i have won while being the underdog.

And since the answers are always "bad-luck" and "it's normal, no matter how unlikely", i would like to see the formula or codding for "bad-luck".

BREAKING NEWS! It's a scam!

The whole game is! You must be new, so I feel it's my duty to tell you! Gauntlet is rigged, especially for low payers.

Actually you cannot count on any number they give you. Today I failed seven shuttles in a row with 90+ percent. That's lower than a 0.00001% chance. Of course that's not zero, but those things that could happen, but should happen maybe once in a lifetime, happen every event. I am a statistical analyst and played role playing games where I roll dice constantly my whole life. I never experienced in RPG anything, in terms of bad luck or good luck, that I experience in this game every week (here of course only "bad luck"). The thing is: If you have "bad luck" you have to pay more money, to actually get anything. That's why you only have bad luck and never good luck. The scam is build into the game and their actual business model.
  • Options
    IIort wrote: »
    I never experienced in RPG anything, in terms of bad luck or good luck, that I experience in this game every week (here of course only "bad luck"). The thing is: If you have "bad luck" you have to pay more money, to actually get anything. That's why you only have bad luck and never good luck....

I have never been as repeatedly inevitably randomly unlucky as i have seen happening in timelines.

And this includes what shouldn't be luck dependent, ie getting the schematics offer 7 times in a row, but never being offered the $10 crew packs. Different compensation to different players with the same issue.

How can it all be blamed on rng??

~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    When I evaluate performance in the gauntlet, it comes down to: 1) Where do you place in the end? I usually can finish top 5, though not always. 2) Don't get greedy, especially on the 3's. Always work under the premise that the defender has a 1+ advantage in critting during these battles. 3) Prioritize development of crew that is likely to perform well here. 4) Set a limit on how many merits you are willing to spend per round to get better match-ups. 5) After a certain point, say 9 - 12 battles in a round, your crew will be fatigued. Best to get a match-up that is favorable for the next round, and break off until then. If you can keep rolling, then go ahead.

Will this prevent you from getting smoked by inferior opponents sometimes? No, but you will win sometimes, too. Don't fall in love with long streaks, but also don't be afraid to spend a little dilithium when you feel the time is right.

Bottom line: You can succeed in this part of the game of the game if you play it smart, and accept that you will lose some battles. Don't be afraid to push the envelope a little when you think the time is right, but don't go overboard.
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    I am sorry you feel like the Gauntlet is not favorable to you as often as you would like.
    Like we have confirmed in the past we have seen no evidence of it is not working as it should.

Shan, do you guys happen to run a lot of test match like this and see the outcomes?

gjvn75xf5vz3.jpeg
    54w68g3aqnor.jpeg
  • Options
    yeah...the game works great...i planned my shuttles to the minute, to get a last round of 9 hours.... 1 min before the reset i manage to click complete on two of the shuttles...while 2 others still had a few seconds to return...the game bugs out with an error...and when i come back, i can't find the shuttles anywhere...

but the game is working as it should....
  • Options
    IIort wrote: »
    Actually you cannot count on any number they give you. Today I failed seven shuttles in a row with 90+ percent. That's lower than a 0.00001% chance. Of course that's not zero, but those things that could happen, but should happen maybe once in a lifetime, happen every event. I am a statistical analyst and played role playing games where I roll dice constantly my whole life. I never experienced in RPG anything, in terms of bad luck or good luck, that I experience in this game every week (here of course only "bad luck"). The thing is: If you have "bad luck" you have to pay more money, to actually get anything. That's why you only have bad luck and never good luck. The scam is build into the game and their actual business model.

No, that's not. Again, I feel I must point this out, since you should know this:

In a d100, the following sequence is perfectly random: 19 95 43 8 6 1 3 9 13 28 57 61 90 75.

Also, as a statistical analyst, you should know one, three or even twenty people in a game this size isn't statistically valid.
  • Options
    12345678 of 12345678912345678 of 123456789 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    It seems to me that as far as Gauntlet goes, people are choosing to focus on the wrong part of the feature for the "fix", namely the match results. Player collected data has shown that there is a slight defender bias, which combined with an extremely poor pRNG algorithm basically explains the "working as it should."

What virtually no one discusses is the match selection screen, which I contend is where DB fixes things. I regularly see the skill match up to crew that I just lost. I've had this result three times in a row on one occasion and seen it happen twice in a row a couple of other times. Sometimes it's not a streak but happens twice during the same round. The fact I've seen it happen three times in a row makes me incredibly suspicious now when I see it happen even once during a round. Same goes for when I've won a match and fatigued a crew and see match selection with those same skills and no winnable matches.

I've also noticed a trend of skill selection being regularly biased against skill combos I don't have. I don't have a crew with a viable ENG/SCI combo, but the number of times this pops up is beyond belief. I recently had a round where this combo came up, I refreshed with merits twice and it came up again, refreshed twice...and again ENG/SCI. ENG or SCI were not the featured skill either in this instance.

Poorly programmed pRNG is one thing, as irritating as it is. Building a feature that heavily "encourages" spending is a whole different ball of wax. It calls into question the integrity of the entire game.
  • Options

What virtually no one discusses is the match selection screen, which I contend is where DB fixes things. I regularly see the skill match up to crew that I just lost. I've had this result three times in a row on one occasion and seen it happen twice in a row a couple of other times. Sometimes it's not a streak but happens twice during the same round. The fact I've seen it happen three times in a row makes me incredibly suspicious now when I see it happen even once during a round. Same goes for when I've won a match and fatigued a crew and see match selection with those same skills and no winnable matches.

I've also noticed a trend of skill selection being regularly biased against skill combos I don't have. I don't have a crew with a viable ENG/SCI combo, but the number of times this pops up is beyond belief. I recently had a round where this combo came up, I refreshed with merits twice and it came up again, refreshed twice...and again ENG/SCI. ENG or SCI were not the featured skill either in this instance.

I do have this problem a lot.

I mentioned this in few of my post, but many people claimed they didn’t have this problem. So it is possible this only affect certain players, or most people don’t care about this.

Now, I am kind of in the don’t care camp and just refresh with merit if I want
  • Options
    I have said it before, on the old forums, and will say it again, just to blow steam, because Gauntlet is so badly designed, it makes me drown my phone sometimes:
    1) The defender has almost trice the critical chance displayed, that is why it crits with 5% so often (anything above 5% means humiliation to the attacker)
    2) The defender rolls much closer to the higher threshold than the attacker, who rolls not an average, but much closer to the lower threshold; that is why, countless times, a scrub with not even 500 in a skill, mops the floor with characters 800+. Pair this with the absurd crit boost they get and you get a formula for frustration.
    3) If you can not refresh (either no merits or whatever reason) and decide to sacrifice a character, there is a 90% chance that the combo you sacrificed will pop up the next round. For me, the chances are almost 100%.
    4) The defender will always pit against you the best characters it has, no matter the rank. Nothing in between. And since you can not chose your opponent, it makes matters even more frustrating.

If you could only see the entire roster and chose who to fight... But no, face walls upon walls of Guinans and borgs with man tits, cause that's fun...
  • Options

I do have this problem a lot.

I mentioned this in few of my post, but many people claimed they didn’t have this problem. So it is possible this only affect certain players, or most people don’t care about this.

Now, I am kind of in the don’t care camp and just refresh with merit if I want

Considering the Forum's obsession with tracking generalized match results as opposed to all the other important data points for Gauntlet, I'd tend to agree that most people either don't care or don't notice. Considering how easily distracted we all are, my money's on "don't notice."

At the same time, I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a "rare bug", since my game also features a mission that can't be completed to unlock higher difficulties and I was one of the first to report the "Random Ship Item" bug from portal drops. And yet and still, DB customer support will argue about a "bug report" around 75% of the time. :s

Depending where I'm at in the round, I'm more likely to stop playing than refresh. My merit balance has dramatically improved with this "tactic".

I guess it's for the best to be extremely skeptical of this so-called game.
  • Options
    zlgffy1qgakz.png
    0en0g8scu78c.png

I know...BAD-LUCK! Right, Shan?

Btw, asim la forge, streak 66...kept on runing with 50 dilithium...sulan, streak 67....