Home Make It So!
Options

Dear DB

So, I've been working on this list since DB last sent out a, "tell us how we can improve," survey. Now that a New Year is upon us (and the fact that an inventory "fix" is nigh) I thought I'd post this now, while one of my suggestions is still technically relevant.

These are my suggestions, to make STT better, in no particular order:

- Get rid of the top "1%" in arena. The top 1% keeps shrinking and it only take a lose or two to bump you out. This means the only way to stay there, for maximum rewards, is to check on your position minutes before the ranks are tallied. This is wildly unfair for those who can't do that; especially those from other countries. Another potential fix, for this problem, is to have the "loosing" ship simply move back one rank, rather than have the two ships switch places.

- Make honor much easier to get. For example, add a zero to all honor earned in campaign. This would mean that those who purchase the premium track will earn enough for a 5* citation and then some. Those that don't will almost make enough for a 5* citation. I only buy the campaign if the legendary character is someone I REALLY want. Otherwise I don't bother. Adding honor, to campaign, in this way would very likely change that. It would make the game far less grindy and, thus, make the campaign a much more enticing investment.

- THE INVENTORY MUST CHANGE. I can't stress this enough. It MUST change. There are a lot of ways on how, but the important part is that it changes. Having an item cap is fine. Getting items for a single character, that you have already fully equipped or don't have at all, is annoying, but fine. Getting items and having NO WAY to efficiently get ride of them is boarder line unacceptable. To get rid of these kinds of items, it literally takes me 30 minutes to 1 hour. Eventually, this will become my proverbial "straw" and cause me to quit the game forever. The fix doesn't even have to be that complicated. A simple ability to tap on any item, from any source, and delete it, right then and there (similar to dismissing crew from portals), would do WONDERS. Bottom line, and with all due respect, FIX IT. (Quite frankly, it's crazily overdue.)

- Give officers and admirals actual power, within their fleets: Allow admirals the ability to disband squads and/or reassign squad leaders. Give admirals the ability to see what officers do within the fleet. For example, if an officer dismisses a fleetember or changes "recommended" in the starbase, the admiral should be able to see who made what change and when. On that note, admirals should be able to grant their officers various levels of power (command). Maybe within a promotion system. An Ensign is granted access to officer chat, a Lieutenant can change what is recommended in the starbase, and Commanders have the power to remove players from the fleet. Something like that.

- Update the drop rate, of items, to be more accurate. For example, the First Contact Protocol item, currently, only drops from two missions; "double trouble" and "our harshest critic". "Double trouble" lists the drop rate as 3/5 pips and "our harshest critic" list it at 1/5 pips. However, "our harshest critic" seems to yield more First Contact Protocols than "double trouble" does, despite it's lower drop rate. Perhaps change these from "pips" to good old fashioned percentages.

- Make selecting ships, for voyages (and possibly arena), easier. An auto select that selects a ship, that will give your voyage the most antimatter, would not go amiss.

- Take out the "intro" and "outro" of skirmish battles. We really don't need the see our ship fly in and see our opponent's ship blow up, over and over again. Taking this one thing out will make skirmish events feel MUCH less grindy.

- Bring back expeditions! Even if it's just for reruns/flashbacks. It would go a long way to breaking up event monotony.

- An infinite ship battle mode. Something where you not only have the ability to setup and test different ships and crews, but you also have the ability to setup the defending ship. That way you can also test how the computer plays, when using certain ships and crews. A mode that costs nothing to use and earns no rewards.

- Easier equipment sorting. Possibly solved by just adding a search bar. It's too hard to find a specific item, to see how many of them you have.

- Let people replicate items directly from their inventory. I shouldn't need to hold on to a 1* Keiko, just to have the ability to replicate 2* science experiments.

- Allow people to see item drop rates and warp to episodes that drop said items, directly from the inventory menu. That way, when browsing your inventory, you can just warp items you seem to be low on.

- Import the character selecting from skirmishes to arena (and ship battle episodes). When you have hundreds of crew members, it can take quite a long time to find who you're looking for, when you try to change your lineup.

What do you think?
What suggestions do you have for DB?
Leave a comment! [=
Happy New Year!
Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
Check out our website to find out more:
https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of your suggestions are good save the removing skirmish animations. Doing that would make people have to grind far more not less as each skirmish battle would be much quicker.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of your suggestions are good save the removing skirmish animations. Doing that would make people have to grind far more not less as each skirmish battle would be much quicker.

I hardly ever disagree with anything you post. But I think it's likely most people would prefer shorter Skirmish battles. I really don't need to watch my Ship arrive 2,000 times. And I really do not need to watch the enemy ships spend half a minute blowing up 2,000 times.

Again, usually 💯% with you on what you post. Just think quicker would be less boring than slower..........

At least for me.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I'd still take that, right now skirmishes are 95% contemplating animations and 5% gameplay. That's absolutely not a good ratio.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren gets it..........
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    .•°rÅTT°•..•°rÅTT°•. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

The opposite is true since it would drastically reduce the time spent to do the same number of Skirmishes.
    Bring back expeditions! Even if it's just for reruns/flashbacks. It would go a long way to breaking up event monotony.

I think this is a no brainer from a player perspective. If you don't want variety in the game that's your choice. Id like more variety please. Make more event types even.

Also...

I'd like DB to add a way to be certain how many duplicate crew are in your vault. I've lost crew and not even been aware of it because there is no indication on the vault screen of duplicate crew. If you freeze 10 copies there should be a little "10" on the crew icon. This should have been there from the start. Basic stuff.

Also, Retire old crew!! The Portal is so full of junk its absurd. Move 3+ year old crew to the basic pulls.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

The opposite is true since it would drastically reduce the time spent to do the same number of Skirmishes.

Heh...we all thought that expanding the reward table for events to give the 5* crew to 1500 people instead of 1000 would make it easier to get said crew, then there was a huge explosion in the amount of VP required to get the 5* crew. Reducing the time it takes to complete each Skirmish battle means some people will indeed stop when they hit the VP target they were looking for, and that those people won’t be able to rank as highly as those spending the same amount of time as before and ending up with inflated VP totals.
  • Options
    Ah yes.... The rule of unintended consequences... TBH I don't care so long as they don't remove honor from the drop rates of each battle I'm happy just watching TV and becoming a human macro :smiley:
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanna say how much I appreciate the following segue:
    - Take out the "intro" and "outro" of skirmish battles. We really don't need the see our ship fly in and see our opponent's ship blow up, over and over again. Taking this one thing out will make skirmish events feel MUCH less grindy.

- Bring back expeditions! Even if it's just for reruns/flashbacks. It would go a long way to breaking up event monotony.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like most of the ideas. Two things that won't work, IMO.

Infinite ship battle mode. As much as I like your thought process on this, it would entail a significant amount of coding from DB while generating zero future revenue. There simply isn't any cost/benefit for DB to undertake this.

Skirmish intro/outro animations. I'm with @(HGH)Apollo on this one. Of course there would be a lot less "wasted" time to complete a skirmish battle - that might be great for the players that just want to do a threshold-and-out event. But for everyone else... @Paladin27 put up 10 million points in skirmish under the existing system (and IIRC someone else has even topped that recently). Can you imagine what players like him could do if the 5 battles only took 30 seconds to complete instead of 2+ minutes? The amount of time spent in the event by "reward-grinders" or "rank-competers" wouldn't change, but the vp totals would explode (not to mention players' tendons). That would also make it impossible to ever use skirmishes in a hybrid event due to the vp imbalance.
  • Options
    Dear DB

Please take trainers out of gauntlet. Completely.

Thank you

Everyone

Yes! Make it so DB
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear DB

Please take trainers out of gauntlet. Completely.

Thank you

Everyone

This is true...

For players who have surpassed the 8 hour voyage. But pre-8-hours, trainers are SUPER valuable.
  • Options
    I like most of the ideas. Two things that won't work, IMO.

Infinite ship battle mode. As much as I like your thought process on this, it would entail a significant amount of coding from DB while generating zero future revenue. There simply isn't any cost/benefit for DB to undertake this.

Skirmish intro/outro animations. I'm with @(HGH)Apollo on this one. Of course there would be a lot less "wasted" time to complete a skirmish battle - that might be great for the players that just want to do a threshold-and-out event. But for everyone else... @Paladin27 put up 10 million points in skirmish under the existing system (and IIRC someone else has even topped that recently). Can you imagine what players like him could do if the 5 battles only took 30 seconds to complete instead of 2+ minutes? The amount of time spent in the event by "reward-grinders" or "rank-competers" wouldn't change, but the vp totals would explode (not to mention players' tendons). That would also make it impossible to ever use skirmishes in a hybrid event due to the vp imbalance.

It would also increase the amount of chronitons needed for skirmish events and kick many mid level players out of contention.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    The inventory replication / search field system and warping out of the inventory idea is meowsome! I suppurrt that all the way, it's purrfect! :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    They should either give more honor for dismissed crew or lower the cost for citations/beholds. When you get 550 for a dismissed legendary and it cost 50,000 for a citation of the same, that is a grossly unfair difference.

Exactly this!!! I have said this in multiple threads the honor system is horribly in-balanced.

Most of these ideas have been ran over and over in multiple threads and are great, and the consensus of players agree in most areas mentioned.

I have also wanted to replicate directly from inventory screen. Great idea.
    Add the easy recycle bin for unwanted items then show that bin in rep ration screen.

Idk about easily transferring battle station crew across events or different aspects of the game. I agree the system of selecting crew for battle stations is horrible. Possibly just give the same option as crew quarters which includes alphabetical order. May speed things along.

Definitely cut down skirmish animations.
    And at some point along the way the reward boxes got colorful in skirmish, and throughout all areas of the game. Why does a gold animated box in the portal end up being a 3* blue crew? Within skirmish the same. The box animation colors no longer reflect the reward. As everyone talks about programming and such issues, why did someone waste time/resourses/coding to implement a purely decorative and confusing feature. It was fine the way it was before.

I appreciate the wonderful artwork on most of the crew cards, and the animations of the galaxy map location and when ships travel. But over 2019 imo alot of time was put into colorful additions and animation not needed for game play. The achievements and accolades could have been more streamlined and simplistic for example. Ppl are just claiming rewards. We dont need differently highly colorful boxes that animate left, down, up as you claim. A simple list would have been ok.
    My point... maybe if we could be less worried about programming un-need animations and colors to simple sections of the game the programmers may have more time to fix and upgrade what we have asked for repeatedly.
    Of course the QOL coming soon. We will see what that brings, and what is left out. 🖖🏻🥓
  • Options
    Interesting. I honestly didn't think my "less animation", during skirmishes, would be so divisive.

I'm curious, for those who think it will make skirmish events more grindy; do you think they would become more, less, or about the same, in terms of recourses used and grind, as galaxies?
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I honestly didn't think my "less animation", during skirmishes, would be so divisive.

I'm curious, for those who think it will make skirmish events more grindy; do you think they would become more, less, or about the same, in terms of recourses used and grind, as galaxies?

I was thinking about this.....as a person that generally takes skirmish quite seriously I also agree that it will make it more grindy. I feel that chrons would become more of a limiting factor than time, as those players that spend every spare minute they have playing will continue to do so however if the battles were much faster then we would all use a lot more chrons.
  • Options

It was a good idea in the abstract. I think it would make skirmish events more grindy and require more chrons. For me, I like the slow pace I can go on skirmishes the way they currently are and would not want them faster. But for something limited in number like expeditions then removal of the animations would be great because those animations are too long and shortening them would not increase ticket use.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

Yes. Interestingly divisive. But considering the relative factor of skirmish being the newest event type, and widely requested but under-represented (as are expeditions), we have just started to get used to them and fully form strategic plans of how to go about the event. Some better than others, i think that plays a role in the opinion.
    Wether it would be more or less grindy? Who is really to know. If everyone continued to play as they do now but animations took less time it would reduce the screentime for the same results. Therefore less grindy. On the other hand those who would take the option of more avail screen time to convert to more grind time could benefit. But that extra grinding would be by individual choice of you choose to play your skirmish.
    Pretty much everyone complains of time during skirmish. I think the majority would opt for less screen time.
  • Options
    mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭

I think I would happily take a 'warp' option which runs 5 skirmishes with a 5m cool down. or even a 10x run with a 1h cool down. The grind is annoying because you really have to pay attention to it. Most of us will have no problem clearing all 5 with a similar process that is used in the Arena for the competing ship (ability gets triggered the moment it is available)