Home The Bridge

What should be the 5* Maquis ship?

EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
As has been demonstrated in some recent discussions, there are some strong views about what ship should be used to finally fill the "Maquis" trait hole at the 5* level. I'm curious to see what the general community's views are on the matter. So throw down your opinions, but respectfully!

Notes:
- I'm calling it "Hijacked Defiant," and not "Maquis Hijacked Defiant," because I feel the later is cumbersome and repetitive. Also, feel free to offer a better descriptor than hijacked.

And, to be clear, Dreadnought is the missile-ship from the Voyager episode.qibe2so84z7j.png

Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)

What should be the 5* Maquis ship? 53 votes

Hijacked Defiant
30%
(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]AggeSoupKitchen RikerMirrorMartiganMatt_Decker[GoT] LuckyNumberHatDScottHewittrobownageMirror CartmanDirk GundersonBylo BandLynHawkHaere LinteseregIvlainJenos IdanianWeyoun 69 16 votes
Dreadnought
35%
AviTrekBardez[SSR] GTMETHungry Dog DDMJayBeezyDrone_onegregorytcmdrworfEmperor Borg Drone (SC)Castell-NeathAldudePrime LorcaProontAdmiral HessVeterinary PhloxJoeSage 2John Luck PikkardMirrorVerse JcEnderW 19 votes
Raise the Val Jean to 5*
20%
Zombie Squirrel Jim RaynorNS111111barrydancerguest_757423444811776PompeyMagnusAandraaDimeDrlSisko's Self-Sealing Stembolaya [FF]AvatruneiHemlock Martinis 11 votes
Other (ideas in the comments)
13%
Travis S McClain~peregrine~<TGE> Darxide[TFA] CaptainObviousveXadonibyte.(DDM) JP Compton 7 votes

Comments

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hijacked Defiant
    The Dreadnought strikes me as being as appropriate for voyages as the Federation Fighter - so...not at all. The Defiant as highjacked by Tom Riker isn’t exactly a great fit but seems to me the least worst option.

My personal preference would really be to boost the Val Jean but that opens a huge can of worms about how that upgrade would happen. Does the 2* version get retired (or renamed as a generic Maquis Raider) and we all start the 5* version from scratch? Do those of us who have it get the 5* version at the same level (max of level 7) if it were converted to a 5* ship instead? And if that were to happen, what would be done about those using the current Val Jean as their main ship and/or Arena ship?

As much as I would like to start a “new” 5* ship off at level 7 instead of level 0, maybe it would be best to rename the current 2* ship and introduce a new 5* Val Jean. It shouldn’t be too much work for the art team, just use the existing model for the new ship and change some colors for the model of the generic version. Now that I’ve written all of this, I almost want to change my vote...
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreadnought
    I'd be happy with any of these options.

The Dreadnought is the most unique, but it would also require brand new art.

Renaming the current Val Jean to allow for a new Legendary Val Jean means it's unique among legendaries (art-wise) but I suspect this would be more work than it first appears. Lots of text strings to change and test (in all languages), and we're either left with both 1* and 2* generic Maquis Fighters, or the 2* ship needs a full conversion to something like a generic Andorian Battlecruiser (even more work).

Hijacked Defiant is probably the easiest option of the three. Although it seems weird that this ship would be "better" when hijacked, and there's already the mirror version among Legendaries. Although if this also got a legendary Thomas Riker, that would be nifty.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Dreadnought
    I'd like to see the Dreadnought, because, as Hasedoki said, it would be something new and because I'm a VOY fan and liked that episode (and most episodes with Torres actually).

I know that it's not technically a ship, but as long as we have the Federation Fighter and Captain Proton's ship, I can't see why we shouldn't get that one too :p
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreadnought
    I'm torn. Almost voted for raising the Val Jean to 5*. Good choices. Hope we get all of them. Or at least two. Then there wouldn't be a need to raise the Val Jean.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Hijacked Defiant
    The Dreadnought strikes me as being as appropriate for voyages as the Federation Fighter - so...not at all. The Defiant as highjacked by Tom Riker isn’t exactly a great fit but seems to me the least worst option.

My personal preference would really be to boost the Val Jean but that opens a huge can of worms about how that upgrade would happen. Does the 2* version get retired (or renamed as a generic Maquis Raider) and we all start the 5* version from scratch? Do those of us who have it get the 5* version at the same level (max of level 7) if it were converted to a 5* ship instead? And if that were to happen, what would be done about those using the current Val Jean as their main ship and/or Arena ship?

As much as I would like to start a “new” 5* ship off at level 7 instead of level 0, maybe it would be best to rename the current 2* ship and introduce a new 5* Val Jean. It shouldn’t be too much work for the art team, just use the existing model for the new ship and change some colors for the model of the generic version. Now that I’ve written all of this, I almost want to change my vote...

I echo all this... I feel exactly the same way
  • Other (ideas in the comments)
    They could add the Peregrine Class Fighter with the traits Federation, Starfleet, Maquis. It could be introduced during a Skirmish event along side the 4* Rio Grande and 1* Danube class.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Maquis ships were weak. How about DB makes a DB original ship.
    Let’s fly!
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's always the Vulcan freighter used by the Maquis in "For the Cause". As a refresher, it's the ship that Captain Sisko busts the Xhosa couriering medical supplies to, and on which Michael Eddington escapes. Which reminds me, we still don't have a Lt. Commander Eddington, and my Maquis Eddington still needs two stars because he has yet to turn up in an event.

One could also make an argument for the Xhosa. Kasidy wasn't herself a member of the Maquis, but it was an important supply ship for them. For a more formally organized faction, that would be too tangential, but for the Maquis, I can see casting a wider net. Bajoran for sure, anyway.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have two defiants already.
    Let’s fly!
    We have two defiants already.

Three actually, if you count defiant class.
  • Hijacked Defiant
    I’d like to see a legit Defiant without watered-down stats.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    They could add the Peregrine Class Fighter with the traits Federation, Starfleet, Maquis. It could be introduced during a Skirmish event along side the 4* Rio Grande and 1* Danube class.

I thoroughly endorse this proposal! Not sure about fighters being 5*s, though, but quibbling is pointless IMO. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hijacked Defiant
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I voted for the hijacked Defiant because I definitely think that one A] makes the most sense for fitting 12 crew onto it for a voyage, B] offers up a cool tie in for a Maquis Tom Riker event, and C] because I don't want OSHA riding my nether regions with all the grievances my crew will file for having me send them out inside a live warhead.

Really though, the simplest solution is to simply remove the Maquis voyage trait from ship selection :p

Skirmish with Maquis Tom Riker as the 5 🌟 or 4 🌟 and Highjacked Defiant as the Bonus 5 🌟 Ship.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dreadnought
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    No maquis ships are great on their own. They are intended to fight as a group. I say have 3-4 ships flying in a group and call it Maquis Squadron ships or Formation Ships or Flight Squadron. It would act as one ship, but visually look like 4. That is the only way to make sense of a strong maquis attack force.

This sounds like a great idea, but I wonder how it would look in Skirmishes and Arena battles. I don't think it makes sense to expect DB to make each ship move independently in battles, so they would all move in perfect synchrony, which might look weird. Or not. I have a hard time visualizing it.
  • [TFA] CaptainObvious[TFA] CaptainObvious ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If the goal is to find an actual ship, that has not already been added in several shapes or forms to the game, a case could be made for the USS Phoenix.

Granted, the Maquis did not exist when the Phoenix got its screen time, but it could be construed as one of the spiritual ancestors of the movement. The military logistics uncovered by Maxwell were probably the early stages of the armament of the demilitarized zone, which lead to the Maquis' creation. It might also be a Timelines Original from a reality where Maxwell successfully uncovered the Cardassian plot, was commended by Starfleet for it and later joined the Maquis with his crew when the situation deteriorated.

As an added bonus, we would finally get the Nebula Class in game.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreadnought
    Bunch of great comments; keep’em comin'! :)

About the Peregrine fighter: I’m not a fan. Mainly because that’s just the Maquis Raider (1*). The idea of making it a squadron is interesting though.

Despite my including upping the Val Jean to 5*, I kinda didn’t think it would work. After all, I thought, how could you get enough personnel on it for a voyage. Which got me wondering, how many crew members were on the ship? Looking it up, there were something in the range of 30+ Maquis personnel on the Val Jean. Considering those ships were supposed to be the size of a runabout, I'm thinking its hull was made of rubber!
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Really though, the simplest solution is to simply remove the Maquis voyage trait from ship selection :p

Well that’s just crazy talk! :D
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hijacked Defiant
    If the goal is to find an actual ship, that has not already been added in several shapes or forms to the game, a case could be made for the USS Phoenix.

Granted, the Maquis did not exist when the Phoenix got its screen time, but it could be construed as one of the spiritual ancestors of the movement. The military logistics uncovered by Maxwell were probably the early stages of the armament of the demilitarized zone, which lead to the Maquis' creation. It might also be a Timeline's Original from a reality where Maxwell successfully uncovered the Cardassian plot, was commended by Starfleet for it and later joined the Maquis with his crew when the situation deteriorated.

As an added bonus, we would finally get the Nebula Class in game.

I've advocated for the USS Phoenix and Nebula-Class before. This is a creative idea to add them to the game and give them a unique trait that would make them worth having. Thanks!
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
    There shouldn't be. If you ask me, the Maquis and Hirogen factions shouldn't exist. There simply aren't enough potential crew to justify their existence.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hijacked Defiant
    There shouldn't be. If you ask me, the Maquis and Hirogen factions shouldn't exist. There simply aren't enough potential crew to justify their existence.

One could argue the same for Section 31.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreadnought
    It's fascinating how divided we all are on this question; I mean, look at the voting margins! I really wasn't expecting people to bring up reducing/changing the factions themselves; while I don't necessarily agree with that stance, everyone has made good points on the matter. Perhaps another thread on reorganizing the factions? I could see the Maquis getting folded into an alliance with the Bajorans (another faction that could use some love), and the Kazon splitting with the Ferengi Traditionalists to form an alliance with the Hirogen and other Delta Quadrant groups.
  • Dreadnought
    Would love to see dreadnought. With its missile and defensive capability deserves a five star.
    It is different.
    Although it was highjacked from the Cardassians, it was completely modified to be a maqui ship/weapon. Unlike the defiant that was only highjacked for a short time, kira was still on board and took command at the end, and we already have several defiant class ships.
    If we are getting another defiant class it could be the Red Squad ship Valient.
  • PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    Raise the Val Jean to 5*
    I say raise the Val Jean to 5*, but as part of a wider re-balancing of the ships.

My biggest gripe about Arena is that one ship essentially dominates each division and there really isn't a whole lot of variety or excitement to it. 1* and 3* ships are entirely useless, as are the majority of 2*, 4* and 5* ships.
  • We also do not have a 5 star hirogen ship.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dreadnought
    RogaDanar wrote: »
    We also do not have a 5 star hirogen ship.

One thing at a time! :p