Home The Bridge
Options

O’Brien vs DS9 Baseball Team

calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
There really should be SOMETHING this weekend to honor “Chief” O’Brien and the DS “Niners”...

Comments

• Options
    IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one! I didn't catch that! Was he in the Niners episode?
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivlain wrote: »

Yes, as I recall he was one of the few who could actually play.... decently, but threw has arm out before the big game... So those who can't, teach!

Hate to be THAT GUY, but it's *Those who cant, coach!*
    Sorry, I've watched that episode a dummmmmmmb amount of times
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol at someone "throwing their arm out" in an era with things like dermal regenerators and instant medical care for practically anything.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the quirky things about Enterprise I liked was how they glossed over things like they were nothing. For instance when the woman from the Terra Nova colony had lung cancer, Phlox told Archer it was a simple treatment. Or when T’Pol and Archer went to 2004 Detroit, she asked him if they knew their fossil fuel supply would eventually run out. He says yes, but it wasn’t until (I believe it was) 2061 when they finally started........then he was interrupted.
  • Options
    Yateball wrote: »
    Lol at someone "throwing their arm out" in an era with things like dermal regenerators and instant medical care for practically anything.

Well Julian did repair the rotator cuff but the ligaments needed time to knit together with the clavicular joint.... He couldn't in good conscience let him play baseball

Again, I cannot stress enough as a huge DS9 AND Baseball fan how dumb it is how much I've watched this episode

An extra flourish on his movements while making a play with your knowledge in hopes of gaining the approval of the spectators forum? Looks like we've got ourselves a Fancy Dan!
  • Options

Well Julian did repair the rotator cuff but the ligaments needed time to knit together with the clavicular joint.... He couldn't in good conscience let him play baseball

Again, I cannot stress enough as a huge DS9 AND Baseball fan how dumb it is how much I've watched this episode

Welcome to sickbay in 2375! We've cured your cancer and repaired the telomeres in your DNA lengthening your expected lifespan by 50 years, but that sore arm is gonna be a real tough one!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how about there is no common cold in the 24th Century, but there are an awful lot of "respiratory infections" that sure do look like bad colds?
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, as I recall he was one of the few who could actually play.... decently, but threw has arm out before the big game... So those who can't, teach!

I didn’t realize Colm Meaney had baseball skills...I do recall reading that Max Grodénchik had played semi-pro baseball before going on to his acting career and had to bat lefty in the episode, because he was actually unable to pretend Rom was not a good player when batting normally.
  • Options
    My favorite line in that episode is Worf:

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

- Nog and Worf, upon realizing that the Logician runner didn't touch home plate.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

- Nog and Worf, upon realizing that the Logician runner didn't touch home plate.

Kasidy laughing hysterically at Ben's embarassing wrestling story always cracks me up too.

Then I shutter every time that O'Brien calls a desperation bunt play with 2 strikes
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Odo still had the best line!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-pSg1PbPa8

Look it up, but do it in the stands. YOU"RE GONE!!!!!
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chief had one of his all-time great throwaway moments in "Take Me Out to the Holosuite":
    BASHIR: What are you eating?
    O'BRIEN: I'm not eating, I'm chewing.
    BASHIR: Chewing what?
    O'BRIEN: Gum. It's traditional. I had the replicator create me some.
    BASHIR: They just chewed it?
    O'BRIEN: No, they infused the gum with flavor.
    BASHIR: What did you infuse it with?
    O'BRIEN: Scotch. Here, try some.
    BASHIR: Mmmm.

Also, Baseball Prospectus has a fun deep dive essay about that episode and the best possible lineup and positioning of the players. I dig this other essay about it by Summer Anne Burton for Not Graphs.
  • Options
    PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

Kasidy laughing hysterically at Ben's embarassing wrestling story always cracks me up too.

Then I shutter every time that O'Brien calls a desperation bunt play with 2 strikes
    Bunting is officially the worst, and the DS9 crew play some silly baseball in this episode, but I do enjoy it.

I like to think the Logicians would be the team the most embracing of sabermetrics and advanced stats. They would be all-in on launch angles and exit velocity for their batters, and be focused on spin rates and such for their pitchers. They'd be batting like today's baseball with the absurd amount of dingers, only without the hilariously juiced ball.
  • Options

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

Bunting is officially the worst, and the DS9 crew play some silly baseball in this episode, but I do enjoy it.

I like to think the Logicians would be the team the most embracing of sabermetrics and advanced stats. They would be all-in on launch angles and exit velocity for their batters, and be focused on spin rates and such for their pitchers. They'd be batting like today's baseball with the absurd amount of dingers, only without the hilariously juiced ball.

You're right. And that's why the Niners winning by playing small ball speaks to the romantic in me.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

You're right. And that's why the Niners winning by playing small ball speaks to the romantic in me.

Lolz... they didn't win.... like, at all
    Jake "The Slider" Sisko gave up 10 runs!
  • Options

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

Oh, sure, if you measure winning by how many "runs" they "scored" in the "game"...! :tongue:
  • Options

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

Oh, sure, if you measure winning by how many "runs" they "scored" in the "game"...! :tongue:

It was a MORAL victory!
  • Options

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

It was a MORAL victory!

vzud0lbuyu8w.jpg
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

It was a MORAL victory!

vzud0lbuyu8w.jpg

Manufactured triumph! here here!
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be fun to have a Chief-Niner crew to celebrate the Super Bowl. Great idea @calsnowskier

chmi5eph1wbv.png
    0w8afj1sd6dl.png
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options

Hate to be THAT GUY, but it's *Those who cant, coach!*
    Sorry, I've watched that episode a dummmmmmmb amount of times

Apparently....and I stand corrected. TBH I didn't remember 100% that it was O'Brien that threw his arm out (too much kayaking) but I put that anyway and am glad I was right.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    3393f84b94aa9e45d8ea99c257fa7c22.gif

I’ve quoted this when my team (Nats) have been in the playoffs. Never worked and no one thought it was funny. So didn’t use it this year. Look what that got them. 😃
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    EnderW wrote: »
    3393f84b94aa9e45d8ea99c257fa7c22.gif

I’ve quoted this when my team (Nats) have been in the playoffs. Never worked and no one thought it was funny. So didn’t use it this year. Look what that got them. 😃

Now I want to see Worf do "Baby Shark".
  • Options

"What do I do?"
    "Find him and kill him!"

But, Commander. If winning does not matter, why keep score?