Home The Bridge
Options

What's this? A Portal Update request thread? YES!

Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, it's Tuesday, and you know what that means....
No, not Tacos, but rather:
Hey DB, can we have a portal loot table update soon? Pretty Please?

I've even made this handy dandy chart showing who is missing for you. The last update brought us up to...a year ago next week. The 'newest' card in the portal loot table is Conflicted Sisko from last Feb.
9gb7o0adsv1c.png

Comments

• Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like a portal update just recently happened.... certainly it can't have been a year already
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    +1 here. Totally due. :)

Guess it‘s not too much to ask having a portal update every 6 months.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    I feel like a portal update just recently happened.... certainly it can't have been a year already

It was August, so I don't expect such an update. I would not be mad at it, however. Once upon a time, we were told it'd be done quarterly. I'm conflicted. On one hand, I already have a problem that the pool is so diluted I'm likelier than not to have a useless pull. On the other hand, the only thing that would help is adding more crew I need. One of you statisticians explain to me whether I want an update or not!

My gut says yes. Adding stronger legendaries improves your chances of getting something better from the behold.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

The Update? August. Newest Crew in it? Much older than August.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    @Frank?
    Just a 'newbie' question here: Do all crew eventually end up in the 'portal'? Are these gaps here just because DB hasn't updated it with the 'new' crew? Or does DB pick-and-choose which crew they include?

Also where did you find this 'portal crew list' info? I would like to add that link to my resource list ...
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Except Honor Hall, Gauntlet, Voyages exclusives and Merge(like Cheesecake)crew, all have ended in the portal so far, or will.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuttysark wrote: »
    @Frank?
    Just a 'newbie' question here: Do all crew eventually end up in the 'portal'? Are these gaps here just because DB hasn't updated it with the 'new' crew? Or does DB pick-and-choose which crew they include?

Also where did you find this 'portal crew list' info? I would like to add that link to my resource list ...

With the exceptions that @Zom[BAD] Squirrel pointed out, yes all cards do eventually get into the portal. However, DB's updating of the portal is sporadic. The last one was in August 2019 (the one before that was Dec 2018, though a small update happened in Jan 2019) and these updates normally don't cover the new crew six months before that update. So about mid/late Feb 2018 is the cut off of new crew that's in the portal now.

There aren't many resources for tracking this; you sorta need to follow it yourself and there's always a question about what the last event was that is covered. The Big Book of Behold is pretty good at tracking this though and it just started back up.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1495 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    @Frank?

thanks! I like this last table ... gives me more info!
    (I can safely assume one can still take CO Sisko up with citations)
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    @Frank?

thanks! I like this last table ... gives me more info!
    (I can safely assume one can still take CO Sisko up with citations)

Most of us did.

🖖👍🖖👍🖖

Frank? wrote: »
    @Frank?

So, almost all crew end up there. For the 4 years that this game has been out, for the most part, DB will release crew in special packs and then, eventually, add them to what we call the 'general loot table'. What that means is that if you ever buy a deal that comes with premium portal packs or you do a merit pull, you have a chance (a very small chance) of getting a Purple or Gold card. You can only get what is available in the general loot table, unless you are dealing with a very special pack (like Elusive Treasures).

Here's an example of cards that are not in the general loot tables and likely won't be:
    fvx3pgleefvf.png

And it's just a spreadsheet I keep. I keep weird statistics on crew stuff because it's one of the only things left in the game that still keeps me around.

Beholds/BeGolds also RARELY drop in Basic Portal Pulls. I have gotten both from Single Free Basic Pulls. Others have, as well.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am conflicted...part of me wants to start saving packs. The other part reminds me that I didn’t start saving prior to the last update until March, and if the next one is in August again (or later) it’s going to be an even more epic PITA to pull all of those packs in one sitting. Then again, if we get a nice May/June surprise (or earlier), I’ll have fewer chances to draw the 4* crew I’m missing.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the purples from episodes were added to the portal. For Quinn I tend to expect the same.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems reasonable to update the portal every six months rather than every year to me. I feel like it used to be updated more frequently, in the earlier days of the game . . . Or am I imagining that?? It's a little hazy.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It seems reasonable to update the portal every six months rather than every year to me. I feel like it used to be updated more frequently, in the earlier days of the game . . . Or am I imagining that?? It's a little hazy.

I get confused by it too. I *think* the last update in Aug was the longest ever between updates?

What complicates it, or what people (including myself) sometimes overlook is that it doesnt include the crew up until August. So, as pointed out, we're coming up on a year behind.

Would love for DB to get back on the wagon with a proper update schedule.
  • Options

I get confused by it too. I *think* the last update in Aug was the longest ever between updates?

What complicates it, or what people (including myself) sometimes overlook is that it doesnt include the crew up until August. So, as pointed out, we're coming up on a year behind.

Quarterly Updates would be nice.

Like:

1 January {new Crew through the previous 30 June, about six months previous}
    1 April {new Crew through the previous 30 September}
    1 July {new Crew through the previous 31 December}
    1 October {new Crew through the previous 31 March}

🖖🖖🖖🖖🖖
  • Options
    IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see them remove the 2016 4 and 5s and put them in their own (reduced) packs. Not sure of exact number of crew, but that would help offset the next reset.
  • Options

Quarterly Updates would be nice.

Like:

1 January {new Crew through the previous 30 June, about six months previous}
    1 April {new Crew through the previous 30 September}
    1 July {new Crew through the previous 31 December}
    1 October {new Crew through the previous 31 March}

🖖🖖🖖🖖🖖

That sounds reasonable. I'd rather have an understandable and reliable schedule than something that appears very ad-hoc/at whim. Personally speaking, the lack of regularity has a knock on with spending on deals that include packs.
  • Options
    PaPa ✭✭
    Ivlain wrote: »
    I would love to see them remove the 2016 4 and 5s and put them in their own (reduced) packs. Not sure of exact number of crew, but that would help offset the next reset.

That's the best idea: create an "oldtimer" pack with crew that has been available since the start or since 2016 and take that crew out of the normal premium 10x pull.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am conflicted...part of me wants to start saving packs. The other part reminds me that I didn’t start saving prior to the last update until March, and if the next one is in August again (or later) it’s going to be an even more epic PITA to pull all of those packs in one sitting. Then again, if we get a nice May/June surprise (or earlier), I’ll have fewer chances to draw the 4* crew I’m missing.

Update: I decided to be pessimistic regarding the next update and pulled the 15 single and 15 10x premium packs I had banked. I was richly rewarded (no screenshots, though...oops):

-enough schematics to finish the Xindi patrol ship
    -third star for Dr. Culber
    -second star for Sarah Sisko
    -second star for Dress Uniform Scotty (tough choice against a second star for Jim Jones Dukat)
    -first star for Governor Worf (over a first star for First Officer Chekov)
    -enough honor for a citation to put a final star on Mycelial Culber while still having a citation for Picard-dog

I’d say I should go get a lottery ticket but figure I’ve already used up my luck for the month.
  • Options
    Was anyone else disappointed that the 5 free slots yesterday wasnt linked to a portal update?
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    I’m of two minds about a portal update. Yes, I want the new crew. However, I also want to get more stars to crew I already have, and the portal update will dilute that pool further.
  • Options
    Thurthorad wrote: »

It was August, so I don't expect such an update. I would not be mad at it, however. Once upon a time, we were told it'd be done quarterly. I'm conflicted. On one hand, I already have a problem that the pool is so diluted I'm likelier than not to have a useless pull. On the other hand, the only thing that would help is adding more crew I need. One of you statisticians explain to me whether I want an update or not!

My gut says yes. Adding stronger legendaries improves your chances of getting something better from the behold.

The issue with this is that you are also adding even more 'noise' both in the form of legendaries from events you've passed on and legendaries that you have already immortalised in that time. Whatever the solution is, constantly updating the premium packs the way they do just means that the value of those packs continues to fall as each pull is less and less likely to help toward an immortalised (and therefore useful) crewmember.

The diminishing marginal returns on premium packs is a function of both how many useful legendaries you already have and how low the odds are of getting important fuses of characters. Simply, pulling any specific legend is getting harder (Juliana Tainer is my white whale here). For random legends to have value in a mature collection they either have to be the first fuse of a desired legendary (not Tosk) or the last one, and for a lot of people now there aren't many characters that fall into that category.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, it's well beyond time to clean up premium packs by retiring old legendaries. Maybe they can put old legendaries in the honor store for 40k honor or something. Just to make sure that collectors can still get access to them if they want them.

Yes to retiring old legendary cards. But instead of putting them in the Honor Hall or in a discount pull, I and many others have stated that we would like them to be put into Voyages as drops. (Like after the 10th hour) Maybe even put in some new dilemmas.

As it stands right now there isn't much incentive to push a voyage past the 10 hour mark except for the achievement. Putting older legendary cards in voyages would change that.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I would love to see an update to the portal in the near future. I want Chef Riker like a Ferengi schemes for gold-pressed latinum.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be a way to get back CO Sisko if you airlocked him. In the early game you really have no idea what's never going to be available again. And if you have a single star rare and you need space, I'm sure a few people have let go of him thinking at some point another copy would show up.
  • Options
    ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be a way to get back CO Sisko if you airlocked him. In the early game you really have no idea what's never going to be available again. And if you have a single star rare and you need space, I'm sure a few people have let go of him thinking at some point another copy would show up.

You could try sending a ticket to Customer Support. They've restored airlocked characters before.
  • Options
    Proont wrote: »

You could try sending a ticket to Customer Support. They've restored airlocked characters before.

The rule is now that it has to be within the last 30 days. At least that’s what I’ve been told by CS.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Proont wrote: »

The rule is now that it has to be within the last 30 days. At least that’s what I’ve been told by CS.

Did that 30 day policy start with janeway lizard?

Coffee janeway was being given out during the event, but it was only after the event finished that lizard was announced. So everyone, understandably, wanted to get back the air locked copies (she wasnt new crew)?
  • Options
    It does seem weird for Commanding Officer Sisko not to have been offered somehow in all this time. Even if not added to packs, at least as the rank reward 3* in a Sisko event would be something.