Home The Bridge
Options

Really Useless golden Crew - what to do?

With the expedition event last weekend i came to realize just how many "legendary" cards i own - or to say it in a better way USELESS cards.

I made a quick overview of how many stars and what i use the crew for. It's annoying - really. ALL of these crew are level 100 an fully equiped.

Priosener Cornwell (5*) - daily use
Surak (5*) - daily use
EMA (5*) - daily use
Qod (5*) - daily use
High Roller Sisko (5*) - daily use
Cmdr. Troi (5*) - daily use
Determined Janeway (5*) - daily use
FO Burnham (5*) - daily use
Kol of House Kor (5*) - daily use
Tenavik (5*) - daily use
Darth Bashir (5*) - daily use
Ahdar Ruafo (5*) - daily use
Etana Jol (5*) - daily use

Queen Po (4*) - daily use
Mirror Picard (4*) - daily use
Dr. Bones (4*) - daily use
Protomorph Barclay (4*) - used often
Garth of Izar (4*) - used often

Mirror Beverly (3*) - used from time to time
Honored Owosekun (3*) - used often
Gary 7 (3*) - daily use
Enterprise-E Picard (3*) - USELESS
Mintakan Riker (3*) - USELESS - used him only in his event
Kahless (3*) - Gauntlet Only
Assimilated Torres (3*) - used from time to time
EV Suit Seven of Nine (3*) - USELESS

Seven of Nine (2*) - USELESS
Rura Penthe Kirk (2*) - daily use
Captain Lorca (2*) - used from time to time
Cadet Tilly (2*) - USELESS
Quinn (2*) - used often
Gowron (2*) - Gauntlet only
Mirror Stamets (2*) - nearly useless
Armus (2*) - Gauntlet only
The One, Lore (2*) - USELESS
Solar Sails Sisko (2*) - used from time to time
Captain La Forge (2*) - nearly useless (i used him only in the last event)
Tosk (2*) - USELESS
Durango Troi (2*) - daily use
Evolved Janeway (2*) - used one or two times a week
Lt. Cmdr. Jadzia Dax (2*) - USELESS
The Keeper (2*) - nearly useless

Judge Q (1*) - USELESS (i have him since my first month in the game - do you guys want to know how often i used him?? 4 or 5 times)
Tempted Data (1*) - nearly USELESS - except for one or two gauntlets
Warship Tuvok (1*) - USELESS
The Professor (1*) - nearly USELESS - even in his event he wasn't much of a help
Captain Harry Kim (1*) - nearly USELESS
Seven in Silver (1*) - used from time to time
Admiral Nechayev (1*) - once my first class gauntleteer and now USELESS
EV Suit Archer (1*) - Once he had a job - now USELESS
Captain Sisko (1*) - USELESS - not even in Sisko events his number was called
Dr. Daystrom (1) USELESS - Mister M5 was use that excat number of times
Kortar (1*) USELESS - since the first day in my deck he was under deck
Admiral Janeway (1*) - USELESS
Chancellor L'Rell (1*) - used quite often
Dancing Chekov (1*) - USELESS
Thrax (1*) - USELESS
Mambo Picard (1*) - Gauntleteer and quite useful
Niners Sisko (1*) - Play ball you are USELESS
Ushaan Shran (1*) - This Andorian has never ever done anything for me - USELESS
Suus Mahna Sarek (1*) - Time an angain skirmish man - otherwise USELESS
Kal-if-fee Kirk (1*) - Nope - USELESS
New Eden Pike (1*) - used every now and then
Admiral Kirk (1*) - nearly USELESS
Interfaced Barclay (1*) - USELESS
Survivalist Kirk (1*) - used often
Romulan Picard (1*) - USELESS
Commander Kira Nerys (1*) - used from time to time
General Cahg (1*) - got him early in the game - since then USELESS
Assimilated La Forge (1*) - used often
Disguised Kira (1*) - used sometimes in the gauntlet
Mirror Landry (1*) - nearly USELESS
Interface La Forge (1*) - quite useful actually

Crew NOT level 100 and FE at the moment without any use i could think of:
Captain Pike (1*)
Virtuoso doctor (1*)
Garak, Elim Garak (1*)
Bashir, Julian Bashir (1*)
Dark Ages McCoy (1*)
Vreenak (1*)
Joachim (1*)
Sherrif Q (2*)
Ushaan Archer (1*)
Tyler, Son of None (1*)
Detective Data (1*)
Mirror Kirk (1*)
Yarnek (1*)
Phoenix Cochrane (1*)

As you can see i've got only 13 legendaries FF FE and a fistful at 4 and 3 stars. But still, they are doing the work, with help of some 1* legendaries and 4* purples.
Even in a expedition event or a faction event whe i want to rank i have so many guys that are USELESS.

I konw i could airlock them, but for 550 honor? No way. Some of them have great art or are iconic (General Chang for example) but thats all thats there.
I know that i'm not the only one with this problem, but the point is that this situation is anoying and it is getting worse with the power creep.
Please DB, do something about this. Give us a new daily task like "credit mining" whre i can send legendaries to planets for a few hours to earn money. Or something on a spacestation where i can put them in to generated a temporarily boost for crew stats. Something like that.

Comments

• Options
    airlock the useless ones for honor. there's no reason to keep something you don't need, that's just taking up space.
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It’s interesting how your list would change with more stars. For instance, Tempted Data, Kortar and Lt. Cmdr Dax are all great once you get their final star

I thought the same. Mirror Stamets is the one that jumped out to me. He’s a great crew at 5/5. His SCI base is high enough for daily shuttles, he’s great at Voyages (due to his unusual skillset and decent overall total), and he has very good event chances.

Some crew are stinkers at 1/5, and just don’t blossom until they’ve got a few stars on them.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s interesting how your list would change with more stars. For instance, Tempted Data, Kortar and Lt. Cmdr Dax are all great once you get their final star

Agreed. I see a lot of names that I use plenty because they have more stars (all immortal unless otherwise noted):

3/5* Cadet Tilly - Disco events
    Evolved Janeway - DIP/SCI voyages and shuttles
    LtC Jadzia - DIP/SCI voyages
    The Keeper - gauntlet and MED/SCI voyages
    3/5* Tempted Data - ENG-centric gauntlets with good trait bonuses, DIP/ENG voyages
    Warship Tuvok - SEC and SEC/COM shuttles
    2/5* The Professor - last week’s event
    1/5* Nechayev - gauntlet
    2/5* EV Suit Archer - events
    Kortar - SEC/COM and SEC/DIP voyages
    2/5* Dancing Chekov - TOS mega
    4/5* Thrax - SEC/COM voyages
    2/5* Niners Sisko - events
    2/5* Admiral Kirk - TOS mega and Kirk events
    Dark Ages McCoy - MED/SEC and MED/DIP voyages
    1/5* Ushaan Archer - gauntlet with trait bonuses
    3/5* Detective Data - used last week at 2/5*
    Mirror Kirk - TOS mega and Kirk events
    Yarnek - SCI/COM voyages

There are others on your list that I also don’t get much use out of but probably will once they are FFed and/or leveled. All it takes is patience and maybe a little imagination. Or, if you’re an Honor Piñata devotee, a rigorous analysis of whether someone would help you more as 550 honor than a used crew slot and the hope that they’ll be worth it in the future.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's clear is any analysis needs to look at future 5/5 potential, not current stars. If someone will never be good at 5/5, then feel free to airlock. But if the issue is weak 1/5 stats, then they would be ranked vs other crew for getting extra stars.

On my own crew, I never use a 1/5 except gauntlet. And there are very few crew getting used for gauntlet. That doesn't automatically mean every new 1/5 is useless. It means I need to decide who will get used at 5/5 and focus on adding citations to them.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    As above, some 1 🌟 "duds" are 5 🌟 "studs". That last 🌟 really pumps up some Crew.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    And i see you call a lot of main crew useless, but ofc they have event worth
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone else beat me to it. I don't have a lot of those crew, but many that are here listed as USELESS are stars of my crew because I have them at a higher level.
  • Options
    The most useless 5* card in the game has to be the Changeling Founder (2/5)....I haven't used that card for anything in a long time...even in Dominion events....

She use to be sort of useful for the gauntlet, now and then, but I now have a lot better gauntlet cards.... DB really needs to rethink her numbers.

If it gets to the point where I have to delete 5* guys, she will be the first to go.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etienne wrote: »
    The most useless 5* card in the game has to be the Changeling Founder (2/5)....I haven't used that card for anything in a long time...even in Dominion events....

She use to be sort of useful for the gauntlet, now and then, but I now have a lot better gauntlet cards.... DB really needs to rethink her numbers.

If it gets to the point where I have to delete 5* guys, she will be the first to go.

Same - I doubt I’ve rolled her out for anything, even for the gauntlet in over two years. And her immortal stats rely on proficiencies so much she ends up being an even worse version of Minuet. That being said, I think I would rather have DB work on new crew than try to rework the stats of (most) older crew...maybe for truly iconic crew like Kal-if-fee Kirk or Enterprise-E Picard, just not too many beyond them.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the OP, two of your useless crew should get some even usage this month: Ent-E Picard and EV Suit Seven, since both are Astrophysicists.

I've reached a point in gameplay that's very similar, though this has not always been the case for me. I'm now (after over 3 years) to the point where almost any crew with less than 4/5*, (with the exception of a few gauntlet beasts), are seldom used. However, lots of them -- not only legendaries, but also super rares -- get used when they come up as bonus crew for an event. That's really the main gameplay reason to keep stockpiling crew.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think another part of the problem, at least what I am facing a mini crisis currently is this

The focus is often inherently on giving citations to who is the best Voyage crew or shuttler or skirmisher or generally a good allrounder. At least that's been mostly my priority and approach. For me the likes of Tactical Neelix, EMA, Interfaced La Forge (for me he's not just quite useful he is the 'proverbial' tonne useful), Braxton, FO Burnaham and the majority of the mega event legendaries have seen citations added bar (Thrax and Kol).

If the 1/5 stats of these newer cards make these older cards look bad on an even keel, then at 5/5 they are going to make them even more silly.

That being said I am also a collector and hoarder, but I also deem a cards worth on their potential for instance Admiral Kirk, many will say 2 skill yuk but I see him as Kirk bonus event material best Dip base or even DiP COM combo for factions and the majority of Kirk events have been faction or part faction to boot. If any can have base stats (when doubled as bonus crew) and rival my current top benchmark as a non bonus crew then they automatically become useful IMO.

Also Dancing Chekov actually stands out for me as well he has a very high DIP SEC combined total for voyages so at 1/5 he may not look like much but at 5/5 he will definitely find some use.

I think you need to decide
    A: Can I keep them - pretty much a hard fact based on how many slots you have free to work with.
    B: Do I want to keep them - then you got to see if they fit the bill of whether they are an acceptable card with some use in the future. Or if they meet any collection goals you may have whether for in game rewards or personal desires.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Maybe we could get an update to the replicator that allows us to trade a Legendary crew for a Legendary citation. That way we could level up crew that are actually useful to us personally. That would even resolve the dreaded Immortalized Begold!
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Maybe we could get an update to the replicator that allows us to trade a Legendary crew for a Legendary citation. That way we could level up crew that are actually useful to us personally. That would even resolve the dreaded Immortalized Begold!

DB is never going to let you trade a legendary for a citation 1:1. It would kill their revenue from portal sales.

Not 1:1 obviously, but if the replicator required to throw in a whole lot of other stuff and if it gave a copy of an old legendary instead of citations then I don't think it would have such a huge impact on revenue. Imagine a replicator feature called "officer exchange program" in the time portal, that gives you a different option each week.
    If you want a copy of Age of Sail Crusher or Phoenix Cochrane, because you already have them at 3/5* maybe, you can send away your 1/5* Chaotica and 20.000 useless ship schematics to get one.
  • Options
    A lot has already been said and that's all true.

About old five-stars: DB should really think about more options to get them so they can be finished and frozen. A whole lot of those is not much better than FF'ed 4* or sometimes even lower.
    I wish they would made them a very rare drop in voyages, like with a very small chance after 8h that gets better for 10h. They could also adjust the drop-chance in the premium pulls (like a chance thats between purples and current legendaries)
    Serving with Battleship Texas [BBTX]
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puts on his "DB" logo hat...

Did we not just offer you a month or so of offers that included bonus 5* citations? Why did you not use those citations to FF and freeze your so-called decrepit legendaries? It was your choice to FF cards like Gary Seven, Warship EMA, and FO Burnham. You could have worked on Changeling Founder, Grilka, and Shinzon instead. The game is about choices, after all.

...takes off DB logo hat.

No offense intended to anyone, DB included. Just playing Lucien's advocate. o:)
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always felt Shinzon was the worst, and yet I have kept him and even selected a fourth star on a behold for him only because I had the other two immortalized lol
  • Options
    I think another part of the problem, at least what I am facing a mini crisis currently is this

The focus is often inherently on giving citations to who is the best Voyage crew or shuttler or skirmisher or generally a good allrounder. At least that's been mostly my priority and approach. For me the likes of Tactical Neelix, EMA, Interfaced La Forge (for me he's not just quite useful he is the 'proverbial' tonne useful), Braxton, FO Burnaham and the majority of the mega event legendaries have seen citations added bar (Thrax and Kol).

If the 1/5 stats of these newer cards make these older cards look bad on an even keel, then at 5/5 they are going to make them even more silly.

That being said I am also a collector and hoarder, but I also deem a cards worth on their potential for instance Admiral Kirk, many will say 2 skill yuk but I see him as Kirk bonus event material best Dip base or even DiP COM combo for factions and the majority of Kirk events have been faction or part faction to boot. If any can have base stats (when doubled as bonus crew) and rival my current top benchmark as a non bonus crew then they automatically become useful IMO.

Also Dancing Chekov actually stands out for me as well he has a very high DIP SEC combined total for voyages so at 1/5 he may not look like much but at 5/5 he will definitely find some use.

I think you need to decide
    A: Can I keep them - pretty much a hard fact based on how many slots you have free to work with.
    B: Do I want to keep them - then you got to see if they fit the bill of whether they are an acceptable card with some use in the future. Or if they meet any collection goals you may have whether for in game rewards or personal desires.

I deliberately used a couple gold cites to immortalize 2 of my lesser (mostly useless) 2-skill Golds, just so I could put them in the freezer.

I now have 5 Golds on ice because I would rather have premium 3 skills for daily stuff and Events.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    I think something like trading in 5 legendaries for 1 legendary citation would be good. You couldn’t have a straight 1:1 of course, but anything would be better than the 550 honor.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    My preference would be to simultaneously address this problem and the extremely diluted pool of Legendaries in the portal. If there were some special discount packs of decrepit legendaries so we could fuse them up to a useful point or allow us to freeze them, I would probably throw a little dilithium at such a solution.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    My preference would be to simultaneously address this problem and the extremely diluted pool of Legendaries in the portal. If there were some special discount packs of decrepit legendaries so we could fuse them up to a useful point or allow us to freeze them, I would probably throw a little dilithium at such a solution.

This ... a suggestion that has been brought up oh so many times ... there are so many suggestions that can help in this factor:

- @Prime Lorca [10FH] Special cheap packs, e.g. in the vein of the single Honor beholds we recently had but then as a Dil cost, such as a pack of a single 5* behold but limited to six (known) specific crew for 150 Dil e.g. Suliban Reed, Kai Opaka, Changeling Founder, Lt Commander J. Dax, Kal-if-fee Kirk, Seven of Nine ... a first behold might show Reed, Opaka and Dax, a second might show Reed, Kirk and Seven etc. ... add in a little randomness, but not too much (e.g. 12 crew) to put players off from purchasing those.

- the Expedition event showed us that you can re-run old events and add in both older 5*s ... I'm sure plenty of older players were able to add stars or immortalise those crew;

- add Mirror T'Pol (associated decrepit legendary) to the thresholds of the current event at 1 million VP ... released in late 2016 and outclassed time and time again by the newer crew (just compare her to the new Picard!) ... the slog to 1 million might be too much for many, but if you want that copy of T'Pol to add a 4th star it just might be worth it.
    - e.g. next week Seven of Nine at 1 million VP threshold.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using @Travis S McClain 's list for Year 1 crew found in the link provided by @Prime Lorca [10FH] above, here are some ideas for 150 Dil/20.000 Honor (seems like a reasonable cost for this type of crew) 5* behold packs with six crew:

Oh captain, my captain
    Abraham Lincoln, Captain Sisko, Captain Scott, Captain La Forge, Captain Pike, Admiral Janeway.

ST: Picard
    Seven of Nine, Senator Vreenak, Dr. Soong, Dr. Richard Daystrom, Enterprise-E Picard, Frank Hollander.
    Note: I know Vreenak is not year 1, but I think he's the only Romulan 5*, and not that great anyway.

Intergalactic Spice
    Orion Vina, Grand Nagus Zek, Mirror Intendant Kira, Suliban Reed, Rogue Kai Winn, General Chang.

For Cardassia!
    Admiral Nechayev, Gul Madred, Crell Moset, Obsidian Order Garak, Enabran Tain, Pah-wraith Cult Dukat.

There really are many good possibilities, especially for those who know a lot more about ST than I do ... naturally, some crew would be in more packs etc. etc. ... have 1 or 2 options available for 1-2 weeks at a time etc. etc.

Like I said before, the community has come up with multiple ways to address the issue (updating old 5*'s stats not one of them) and there has been some movement on DB's part (adding old event cards to rewards) ... but that's drop in an ocean type stuff ...
  • Options
    I would like to add my 2 cents on the list, where crew usage seems to have been "sub-optimal"..

1* Professor and 1* Detective data along with a sprinkling of other crew for the non-vp missions helped my card collection to include a Twilight T'pol now in the past event, where at first i almost didnt even want to participate on friday morning after i discovered the awarded tickets did not stack/keep

I figured out which crew to use on which missions and in what order ... it took time, but those 1* FE cards proved their worth ....

As for gearing up ... focus citations on where you can get the best bang for the them.
    The BBoBA is a handy tool , as is the DNA list and Idol's Datacore Analysis sheets for figuring out where you can upgrade your game.

It showed me the biggest bang i could make was improving my Med/Eng crew along with some of the T1/2/3 BB crew.

If possible i cited up T1/2 crew for their huge stats and contributions as fast as i could .. then prioritising on usefull T3/4 crew which are not in the portal.

I used 1DYC , 1 citation and 2 fusions on Evo Janeway , Double-AdWarp , DYC and a cite on Quinn and these cards have been going on 50% of my voyages since ... (currently at 25% 10+ , 60% 9+ hours now)

My last citations went into Torp McCoy and Captain Bev , non-portal crew .. aside from the laughs ... Capt Bev has done 33% voyages in the past month since citing her ... My next project is Citing Indulgent Seven .. you can bet any Picard and Seven card will get quite alot of use this comming year ...
  • Options
    Ah ... sorry for the long post ...
    TL.DR ..... Yes .. there are some near useless cards in the game and on your list ... i do hope DB will address this with discount packs or more citation options ... but quite a number of cards in the game have more use for them than at first glance ...
  • Options
    The one idea I had to make Golds a little more better all around would be to introduce a pedigree system. In some other games I've played, with a similar collection feel to it, they added uniform changes to older characters to make them more relevant. This approach can't be used here since essentially every card is a new uniform but what about introducing a system that let's you boost old cards.

Since the game has been around for 4 years, power creep is inevitable. I hate that Victorian Pulaski has a higher DIP than my immortal Enterprise E Picard. If we introduced a pedigree system, it would add a base stat increase to the character based on how old it is. This could be a 4% increase to stats for 4 year old cards, 3% for three year, etc. I haven't done the math on this, the numbers are arbitrary, you could even set it up that they never really match up to the newer cards in stats so people still buy but at least it could make them more usable. You could even make it payable, using Merits or something to unlock each tier.

A lot of the fan favourites were in the beginning and I'm sure a lot of us would love to use those old fan favourites more. This doesn't solve the issue of too many 1.5*s clogging up your roster but if they had slightly higher stats you could freeze the lesser cards in your deck and focus on 5*s.

Just something I've been mulling around.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karnak wrote: »
    The one idea I had to make Golds a little more better all around would be to introduce a pedigree system. In some other games I've played, with a similar collection feel to it, they added uniform changes to older characters to make them more relevant. This approach can't be used here since essentially every card is a new uniform but what about introducing a system that let's you boost old cards.

Since the game has been around for 4 years, power creep is inevitable. I hate that Victorian Pulaski has a higher DIP than my immortal Enterprise E Picard. If we introduced a pedigree system, it would add a base stat increase to the character based on how old it is. This could be a 4% increase to stats for 4 year old cards, 3% for three year, etc. I haven't done the math on this, the numbers are arbitrary, you could even set it up that they never really match up to the newer cards in stats so people still buy but at least it could make them more usable. You could even make it payable, using Merits or something to unlock each tier.

A lot of the fan favourites were in the beginning and I'm sure a lot of us would love to use those old fan favourites more. This doesn't solve the issue of too many 1.5*s clogging up your roster but if they had slightly higher stats you could freeze the lesser cards in your deck and focus on 5*s.

Just something I've been mulling around.

Increase the boost 1% per year of card age, on their introduction anniversary.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    That system would work
  • Options
    Some good ideas here...

To answer some of the previous posts - i know of course that most cards will get useful when at 5/5 and lvl 100 FE. Even EV Suit Seven will get some work then. Still there is the problem of fusing the cards. Which leads to my problem with airlocking golden guys. I don't know when i will get which card. It's kind of fun on the one hand, but with a constantly growing pool of golden boys and girls the chances to FF certain crew are dropping.
    I know that have quite good cards that i called USELESS, because they are to me as long as i can't fuse them up. Mirror Stamets for example. What do i know when i will be able to get my hands on another copy of him?? As often as i have the chance i take an additional star in a begold - even if other crew might be better. Still i'm left with a growing pool of Mr. Irrelevants.
    And airlocking them for meager 550 honor? Where a legendary citation costs 50.000? No - thats not good.
    What about an option giving you the possibilty to decide if your beholds only consider cards you allready have or the complete pool. It would increase the chance of getting FF-beholds, but also the chance to finish crew.