Home The Bridge

VIP 0 - confusion in MY head.

Hi all,

I need an explanation about VIP 0.

Since I have all 1*-4* immortalized and a bunch of 5* too I have some free time for the game. I was thinking about to start a new account which should be strictly VIP 0 .
I was always thinking that VIP 0 means not to spend a dime for the game, but in some chatrooms people are talking about that it is no problem to buy stuff over Steam and you are still VIP 0 and only the ingame notification is important for your VIP status.

So what is right now?

- VIP0 means not to spend at all.
- VIP0 means that it is okay to buy stuff over Steam and your notification will still be VIP0.
- VIP0 means that it is okay to buy stuff over Steam , your notification will change, but that doesnt matter since you did not buy over the game.
- VIP0 means it is okay to but a lot of stuff over different Steamaccounts for one ingame account and you are still VIP0.

Some input would be nice, if other people buy over Steam and this is okay they would have a big advantage over people that dont spend at all. In that case I would not start a VIP0 account, but an account with Campaigns only.

Comments

• AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't spent any money at all.

Having said that, it really is up to you. If the in-game notification says "VIP0", then you are technically VIP0. If you want to buy stuff over steam and then never tell anybody, then you are still VIP0 in the eyes of the game and anybody who cares.

Check your own moral compass!
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    LOL Welcome to the Internet. Where folk can say whatever they want and then, most likely, are doing the exact opposite! I take everything I read with a very small grain of salt. ;)

What is "spend"? Many different meanings depending on who is doing the talking. But, basically, VIP0 means just that: your VIP level never goes above 0. However one pulls that off is up to them ...
    (Does that come with bragging rights? Oh boy! ;) If so it should deserve it's own special dedicated 'bragging forum'! LOL)

As an aside:
    I don't know anything about Steam or why anybody would even want/need to use it (one of those strange life-mysteries) .... but (for my own personal edification) are you saying that on Steam you can play different versions of the game or have different types of game access?
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • I wouldn't be sure that buying a steam starter pack doesn't give you vip points - but of course you are free to try it out :)

Afaik any purchase comes with vip points, after that your aren't vip0 anymore.
  • Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    I bought the steam pack for my account and i got VIP points so it won't be 0$ account.
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam does give you VIP points. I don't consider any purchases VIP0.
    DB also removed the VIP points that the free monthly card gave everyone so that basically all VIP0s in game could keep the VIP0 badge.

Whoa... wait, what?

When did this happen? Mine is still sitting there o_O
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, spending money isn’t VIP 0.
  • Thx for all the answers! So I have to see if I want to start a real VIP0 account.
  • Aldude wrote: »
    Steam does give you VIP points. I don't consider any purchases VIP0.
    DB also removed the VIP points that the free monthly card gave everyone so that basically all VIP0s in game could keep the VIP0 badge.

Whoa... wait, what?

When did this happen? Mine is still sitting there o_O

If you wrote in and asked, they did it gladly. I needed it to not say VIP1 on my account because it's a slippery slope lol. The 0 keeps me honest and away from monthly cards and campaigns on Bronze.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...

Seems easier just to let it sit there
  • So what is right now?

It's whatever you want. Though, I would try not to associate with the label too much. A lot of people who focus too hard on VIP0 are really arrogant, insufferable trolls with superiority complexes.

Whale me in SSR and Vip0 me in Vip0 would tend to disagree a bit. But then I did probably not meet people who were focusing too hard on Vip0, either you run a account Vip0 or you don't.
  • Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hello, thought I'd throw my 2₵ in here (didn't read most of the comments, sorry). My account is 100% Free to Play (F2P), but I have a VIP1. How? 6-12 months ago DB had a Game of Thrones game. When DB decided to close the doors, on that game, they gave away a free Prince Bashir. However, if you did a "thing" (not going to explain it, it doesn't really matter) you got a 2nd free copy of Bashir AND a free month of daily dillithium. The rub is, it also gave you a VIP of 1.

So, what does VIP0 mean to me: VIP0 = F2P. The point is to play the game, climb the ladder, and compete w/o spending a dime. It's hard at first, but really fun once you get a groove going.

Words of advice: at first, trainers will be hard to get; you will NEVER have enough. As tempting as it is, DO NOT USE HONOR. Just play the long game, save any and all dillithium, you earn, and buy shuttle bays. After that, crew slots... you will never have enough crew slots... Also, save any and all honor (at least at first) to cite and FF ALL mega recurring characters. Even the "bad" ones. My first, or second, mega card was minuet. She's a terrible card, for me, now, but when I first got her she was a beast.

Happy gaming! [=

EDIT: PS, Another thing I did (by accident) was make my F2P account, then wait a year before playing it. I made the account when Steam launched the game, but I always had trouble getting it to load/play (maybe had two hours of game time on it). Eventually I just gave up and stopped trying to play. A year later I tried again, and, it worked. The point is, I had a metric-####-ton of free goodies in the mail. (Among other things, 10k in free chronitons... I think.) @múspell[BAD] If you are thinking of making a F2P account, you might want to try this. Make the account now, but wait 6-12 months to play it.
  • AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I am VIP0 and I rejected the free monthly card/free Prince Bashir, so I also didn't need DB to reset my VIP status.
  • AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    I do it for the challenge. I paid quite a lot for computer games, starting with Baldur's Gate 2 decades ago.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not about the label, it'a about the challange. There is anouther mobile game I play where I vowed never to spend a dime simply because I did not want to have an easier time at it. Not beacuse I can't afford it or don't want to support the developers, but because I wanted to experience it that way.

You can do some Steam tricks to get the benefits of spending money without technically gaing VIP, but if you are doing that whats the point? When STT launched, there were no ways for FTP to get dilithium. Now, a new account can earn some but it's limited. I dont have time to run a second account, but if I did I would use every trick I know about the game to stretch that dilithium as much as possible and enjoy puzzling out how to optimize my crew with more limited resources.
  • From my own experience I can say that with a Vip0 account you reach the - let's call it endgame stage - earlier which starts when you do not have any more fully fused purples to equip (a Vip14 just pulled so much more portal packs and filled his roster faster than he could level FF'd purples up.
  • The purpose is not spending money right?
    However, you can achieve VIP without spending a dime many different ways. I have "VIP0" account which is actually VIP level 2. I used google survey points etc. to get a couple monthly packs. Primarily to purchase up the 2 additional shuttle spaces since the game is very tough without them.

Do I pass the real "VIP0" test, probably not. Is the F2P account a lot more fun with 4 shuttles as opposed to 2, you bet.

It is just about fun. Forget the unofficial rules sometimes.
  • The official v unofficial rules vary by who you ask, for sure. But if you want to get into the VIP0 fleets, you'll have to show the VIP0 badge in game. If you use survey money or didn't have DB erase the monthly card VIP points you won't be able to get in.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I started a VIP0 account to do exactly that, have an account that doesn't spend ANY $. I have to tell you it is interesting and challenging just to get past Captain level 50! But knowing what I know as a long time veteran player, I can also avoid the pitfalls of some of the lesser appealing aspects.

Again, a fun challenge to break up the monotony of just doing dailies & events on my main account.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a VIP0 account to do exactly that, have an account that doesn't spend ANY $. I have to tell you it is interesting and challenging just to get past Captain level 50! But knowing what I know as a long time veteran player, I can also avoid the pitfalls of some of the lesser appealing aspects.

Again, a fun challenge to break up the monotony of just doing dailies & events on my main account.

I have thought what you mentioned would be a big help. That you went through the learning curves and trials and errors on your regular account to be able to grow a VIP0 quicker and more efficiently. I personally have absolutely zero interest in ever making another account as I wish to put all my focus on the success of Schmallen but I do see the appeal people have with the challenge and interest in working that second one

• Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

I have thought what you mentioned would be a big help. That you went through the learning curves and trials and errors on your regular account to be able to grow a VIP0 quicker and more efficiently. I personally have absolutely zero interest in ever making another account as I wish to put all my focus on the success of Schmallen but I do see the appeal people have with the challenge and interest in working that second one

It's fun for a while, but eventually it will also become just stockpiling chrons and items and when you go to spend all the resources, the tapping is pretty much the same (insanely boring) on either a VIP 0 or VIP 14.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

It's fun for a while, but eventually it will also become just stockpiling chrons and items and when you go to spend all the resources, the tapping is pretty much the same (insanely boring) on either a VIP 0 or VIP 14.

So you do all that just to get to the same point as in your first account? I thought I had no interest in making a second one before. That really seals that deal

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what is right now?

It's whatever you want. Though, I would try not to associate with the label too much. A lot of people who focus too hard on VIP0 are really arrogant, insufferable trolls with superiority complexes.

Must make a fortune painting houses. With a brush that wide, can easily do a whole house in about eight strokes........
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could be VIP0 in life. Live in my house without paying mortgage. Other people feed me, not have to pay utility bills.....

What's a mortgage?

Seriously I started my second account with the intention of it being VIP 0, or low VIP (just an occasional monthly card) but started spending on the campaigns. I have more money than sense, but that is not hard because I have zero sense.