Home The Bridge

VIP 0 - confusion in MY head.

2»

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    The purpose is not spending money right?
    However, you can achieve VIP without spending a dime many different ways. I have "VIP0" account which is actually VIP level 2. I used google survey points etc. to get a couple monthly packs. Primarily to purchase up the 2 additional shuttle spaces since the game is very tough without them.

Do I pass the real "VIP0" test, probably not. Is the F2P account a lot more fun with 4 shuttles as opposed to 2, you bet.

It is just about fun. Forget the unofficial rules sometimes.

Summer Nights from Grease me, please!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_XYQZikWc
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I wish I could be VIP0 in life. Live in my house without paying mortgage. Other people feed me, not have to pay utility bills.....

What's a mortgage?

Seriously I started my second account with the intention of it being VIP 0, or low VIP (just an occasional monthly card) but started spending on the campaigns. I have more money than sense, but that is not hard because I have zero sense.

A mortgage is something I pay so my dogs have a place to live the good life!

• Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Words of advice: at first, trainers will be hard to get; you will NEVER have enough. As tempting as it is, DO NOT USE HONOR. Just play the long game, save any and all dillithium, you earn, and buy shuttle bays. After that, crew slots... you will never have enough crew slots... Also, save any and all honor (at least at first) to cite and FF ALL mega recurring characters. Even the "bad" ones. My first, or second, mega card was minuet. She's a terrible card, for me, now, but when I first got her she was a beast.

I seriously disagree about not buying trainers with honor. Not using honor to buy trainers was the mistake I made on my first account. It took a lot longer to immortalise my early crew.

On my second account I took the decision early to use honor to buy trainers. I immortalised early crew a lot faster. This meant that I could achieve 3 stars on cadet challenges a lot quicker, get better rewards (chrons) and then freeze my 2* crew early to clear crew slots.

It also meant that I could develop the crew needed for voyages earlier and quicker. So I cleared the dailies earlier, getting the daily honor reward, now it would also mean being able to complete the campaign. Honor is also awarded on voyages, so doing better in voyages means more honor. I like to think that the honor I invested early in trainers, has been repaid with honor from voyages.

Immortalising crew quicker also means you get the dil rewards from achievements quicker, so those extra shuttle bays, then crew slots, which helps immensely.

Last point, injured Torres is just about the best 2* crew about. She is the best 2* engineer, can go on any 2* cadet mission, and is in three collections. Starting anew she is worth prioritising.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Words of advice: at first, trainers will be hard to get; you will NEVER have enough. As tempting as it is, DO NOT USE HONOR. Just play the long game, save any and all dillithium, you earn, and buy shuttle bays. After that, crew slots... you will never have enough crew slots... Also, save any and all honor (at least at first) to cite and FF ALL mega recurring characters. Even the "bad" ones. My first, or second, mega card was minuet. She's a terrible card, for me, now, but when I first got her she was a beast.

I seriously disagree about not buying trainers with honor. Not using honor to buy trainers was the mistake I made on my first account. It took a lot longer to immortalise my early crew.

On my second account I took the decision early to use honor to buy trainers. I immortalised early crew a lot faster. This meant that I could achieve 3 stars on cadet challenges a lot quicker, get better rewards (chrons) and then freeze my 2* crew early to clear crew slots.

It also meant that I could develop the crew needed for voyages earlier and quicker. So I cleared the dailies earlier, getting the daily honor reward, now it would also mean being able to complete the campaign. Honor is also awarded on voyages, so doing better in voyages means more honor. I like to think that the honor I invested early in trainers, has been repaid with honor from voyages.

Immortalising crew quicker also means you get the dil rewards from achievements quicker, so those extra shuttle bays, then crew slots, which helps immensely.

Last point, injured Torres is just about the best 2* crew about. She is the best 2* engineer, can go on any 2* cadet mission, and is in three collections. Starting anew she is worth prioritising.

On the trainer for honor issue.

Before the introduction of campaigns, I think using honor for trainers before you got a third shuttle was pretty standard. You needed to quickly immortalize some 2 and 3* crew to get achievement dil for the third shuttle. Once you got the third shuttle, that is usually enough to be trainer positive/neutral for a VIP 0 account. It also accelerated voyage improvement from 2 to 6 hours, which made up for a lot of the honor usage.

After campaigns, you can get the dil needed for a third shuttle from 2 months of campaigns. The alternate path to the third shuttle, makes it less clear-cut that it was before. It might still be worth it to get a limited amount of trainers for honor to develop voyages, but the alternate path to the shuttle makes it less of a necessity.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

On the trainer for honor issue.

Before the introduction of campaigns, I think using honor for trainers before you got a third shuttle was pretty standard. You needed to quickly immortalize some 2 and 3* crew to get achievement dil for the third shuttle. Once you got the third shuttle, that is usually enough to be trainer positive/neutral for a VIP 0 account. It also accelerated voyage improvement from 2 to 6 hours, which made up for a lot of the honor usage.

After campaigns, you can get the dil needed for a third shuttle from 2 months of campaigns. The alternate path to the third shuttle, makes it less clear-cut that it was before. It might still be worth it to get a limited amount of trainers for honor to develop voyages, but the alternate path to the shuttle makes it less of a necessity.

In my quest for 600 immortals it has crossed my kind to but trainers with honor but I am in a different position than those described so it’s not worth it to me. 50 trainers for 1500 honor. Which means it would cost a little over 3000 honor to immortalize one crew member. There’s no way I can justify doing that

• Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For my VIP 0 i used honors for trainers with no regrets but that was before campaigns. I then used to use honor for citations on the non portal 4* crew until I had a decent amount, now save it up for 5* crew.
  • Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    For us, VIP0 is no spending. However, you can still be VIP0 and have VIP1. That's because of the gift provided when GOTA shut down.

Besides that, any spending disqualifies you as an F2P in our fleet, not that we care nor judge based on that...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • @Captain Q That's what I assumed. So, my question is: what about
    I used google survey points etc.
    ?

I've never used this before, so I'm not 100% on how it works. I am assuming that, in exchange for your time, google gives you some "virtual" money. Would you consider that kind of "spending" to be VIP0 AKA F2P? Or does the expenditure of time make the whole thing moot?
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Visit us on discord to find out more:
    https://discord.gg/hg8ZRyn/
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Captain Q That's what I assumed. So, my question is: what about
    ?

I've never used this before, so I'm not 100% on how it works. I am assuming that, in exchange for your time, google gives you some "virtual" money. Would you consider that kind of "spending" to be VIP0 AKA F2P? Or does the expenditure of time make the whole thing moot?

I think it's called Google Opinion Rewards. Anyone can sign up for it, but I've found that the amounts are pretty meager (10 cents at a time isn't unusual), unless you do a lot of traveling with your phone, since a lot of it is based on locations that Google has tracked you visiting.

Then you spend the money like you would any money in the game — it's just another source. So it would count the same as if you'd used your credit card or PayPal to buy something in STT.

There are other sites where you can do surveys to earn money, like Swagbucks (which you can then use to buy a Google Play gift card), but they require a large investment of time to pay off. I did some of that for a brief period of time when I was unemployed, just to make 10-20 bucks a month that I could spend on STT. There were certainly much better uses of my time, lol.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • You can also cash in Amex reward points for iTunes gift cards. I do that to pay for some of the purchases on Silver. I have never done that on my VIP0 account because buying things in game - despite if the money to do it is "free" - would still grant VIP points, so you wouldn't be VIP0. Some folks call that "free to play" or F2P instead.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    @Captain Q That's what I assumed. So, my question is: what about
    ?

Like what others have expressed, it is a matter of opinion and what you and your fleet chooses as the definition. What some have mentioned above are valid and good examples of the grey area exposed by "spending but not your own cash".

I think an argument could be made that someone spending somewhere along the supply chain would make that person not a VIP0. I personally would draw the line at if the spending originates from DB (DB gift or DB comps a player), then that person would still qualify as VIP0. On the other hand, I've heard the purists argue that the line must be drawn at 0 VIP points, aka "The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make you pay for those VIP points!"

db4zb6ljk4be.gif

:D

In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can tell by skimming this thread, it seems confusing because players are apparently now using "VIP 0" as a synonym for "F2P". It was explained to me on the old forum that VIP 0 means exactly that; your VIP level is 0. If it's not 0, then you're not VIP 0.

F2P means you're a free to play player but is more nebulous. It could be a player who spent money at one point but stopped. If the old forum was still up, you'd see myriad posts from forum members posting that they had stopped spending money and now continued as F2P. Some were due to becoming unimpressed with what they got for their money; some were in protest over one debacle or other.