Home The Bridge
Options

2 Featured Legendary Crew for Events

Kamikawa4Kamikawa4 ✭✭
edited March 2020 in The Bridge
How do people feel about 2 Featured Legendary Crew for Events instead of 2 super rare crew? As the player base ages and super rares are less desirable does the chance of getting more legendaries seem appealing?

I have 90% of the super rares immortized and the chances of me getting the ones I need are very slim. Leveling up my legendaries and freezing the less useful ones is a bigger motivator for me than the grind of airlocking already immortalized crew and slowing building up honor in hopes of another honor sale in a year or two. ON the other hand, having one legendary in the rewards tier and leaving the other to be got exclusively in event packs is not great. Maybe adding ANOTHER tier to the rewards after the portal pull to get the other features Legendary could solve that.

I hope this is an idea that evolves over time. There is something here...

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure how I feel about this yet. I’ll have to take a wait and see approach.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only advantage I see thus far (for me) is that I only have Mycelial Culber, and not the other 2.

So, doing an Event Portal Pull is a no-brainer, giving me no downside. If I get 1701 Bashir, that makes him immortal when I claim him off the thresholds, and I get a head start on building him before the event starts. Same with Riker Oden, since I don't have him. Worse case, I get a second copy of Culber! (When is that a bad thing?) I need to freeze someone to make room for one of them, regardless.

I wasn't trying for Riker Oden last week, since the past few weeks have drained my chrons, and even though I want that Riker eventually, I didn't care and didn't want to have to freeze 2 crew for 2 new ones just for this event. If I do get him in a pull, well... c'est la vie.

I can where see this might also entice anyone who doesn't have either Gold to make an event portal pull.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    This hasn't made the packs any more desirable for me. Of my fleetmates that tend to go for packs, most got a bunch of Bashirs before finally landing a Culber or an Odan Riker. I've decided to conserve my dilithium after pulling one Bashir.

Worse, now there's a featured crew that I cannot earn through playing the event (or the previous event). That's the main benefit of playing events for me -- the ability to pick up new legendary crew (and then cite the ones I like best).

So, unless a new reward tier is added that includes the additional featured legendary, I'm not a fan of this structure.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan.

Basically all the bad parts of re-runs (1/20 chance of a specific gold in event packs) without the 400k threshold.

Should easily be considered worse than both re-runs and flashbacks.

The only partial saving grace of this specific one is that the existing gold is still a very high quality card, unlike any of the reruns we've had in the past.
  • Options
    Kamikawa4Kamikawa4 ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The only advantage I see thus far (for me) is that I only have Mycelial Culber, and not the other 2.

So, doing an Event Portal Pull is a no-brainer, giving me no downside. If I get 1701 Bashir, that makes him immortal when I claim him off the thresholds, and I get a head start on building him before the event starts. Same with Riker Oden, since I don't have him. Worse case, I get a second copy of Culber! (When is that a bad thing?) I need to freeze someone to make room for one of them, regardless.

So if the features crew for the pull was Riker Oden, Bashir, and another super rare you already had immortalized would you be as eager to spend the Dil on a portal pull? I normally do portal pulls if I need the majority of the crew. I rarely do event pulls since I have both super rares immortized.
  • Options
    ShadowPresenceShadowPresence ✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of this approach.

I spent some Dil trying for Culber. Didn't get him. I figured it was worth a shot. But I won't be doing this again.

If they're going to have 2 Legendaries then they should add another threshold tier.

This particular Culber, is definitely good, but he's only been in packs so far. And with the horrible pull rates, he should be available outside of packs if he's featured crew. At least let us have a chance to get him!
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really like it. It makes super rare crew a lot less relevant and that's not great.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I like it, first pull and exactly the copy of the new SR i need to make em 4/4(after clearing thresholds). But i understand that ppl fishing for Culber or Riker don t.

Nothing i wanna see regulary though. ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    I think this is a one time thing because they are transitioning. The 4* and 5* rank rewards this week will both be event crew next week. Going forward, I bet that is the only change, the existing 4* will be ranked rewards one week earlier. Which makes more sense to me anyways. If the crew is new to you, you get a chance to use them.
  • Options
    IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty "meh" on it. Would rather have the pack exclusives as the existing SR than a 2nd Legendary.

Unless they increase the odds of pulling a legendary from the packs or put the existing in the Thresholds, I hope this idea never happens again.
  • Options
    mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    Kamikawa4 wrote: »
    How do people feel about 2 Featured Legendary Crew for Events instead of 2 super rare crew? As the player base ages and super rares are less desirable does the chance of getting more legendaries seem appealing?

I have 90% of the super rares immortized and the chances of me getting the ones I need are very slim. Leveling up my legendaries and freezing the less useful ones is a bigger motivator for me than the grind of airlocking already immortalized crew and slowing building up honor in hopes of another honor sale in a year or two. ON the other hand, having one legendary in the rewards tier and leaving the other to be got exclusively in event packs is not great. Maybe adding ANOTHER tier to the rewards after the portal pull to get the other features Legendary could solve that.

I hope this is an idea that evolves over time. There is something here...

I'm kinda in a similar boat. Have almost all the portal 4* immortalized and now just working on specific 5* to hit a consistent 10h voyage (working on my 2nd Mycelial Culber this week!)

I would prefer a 2nd 5* reward to go into the reward table instead (say 500th place up) instead of an additional threshold level. This actually helps in a few ways
    - For newer players, it avoids adding another 1/5 to their roster and taking up slots seeing as clearing thresholds isnt really a problem
    - For older players, it actually gives an incentive beyond 1,500th or 1,000th place and out. There is a massive reward gap between 1,500th place and 25th place
    - At 500th place, it actually adds some challenge to older players without making it overly burdensome to get additional stars for existing 5* crew. Its not going to be a layup but at the same time not overly difficult to hit 500th place and would probably encourage more players to put VPs in.

Ideally, I would actually like to see more 4* (and maybe even 3*) crew in the game. The crew mix is so over skewed towards 5* that it seems to be counter intuitive to the core mechanism of the game which is 'card' collecting. Either that or remove the slots limitation or allow non-fully fused cards to get put into the cryo. The 1/5 crew situation is getting alittle ridiculous
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s funny, I did a pull for 1701 Bashir and I ended up with Mycelial Culber! I wanted Bashir so I don’t have to spend a citation. Now I’ve got another one out of five that will be unused after this!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure this is a one time thing. While Shan didn't directly say this, it seemed to me that DB was going to start making the 4*, in the ranked rewards, count towards the next event. If this is something that they are doing from now on (like they did with the ranked 5*) then I'm assuming the extra event 5* (Culber) is only here to make up the deficit.

A similar thing happened when DB started making the ranked 5* count towards the next event. People got upset that there was a "gap", in the event crew, the event before the change. As a result, DB ended up giving away a 1/5 Tux Nog, via the mail, to compensate.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Jean-Luc KenobiJean-Luc Kenobi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    This is great, if you have the dilithium and don't have any of the golds immortilized and it helps to FF the purple if its a faction/skirmish and you don't have the purple immortalized. Which is exactly the predicament I found myself in today and bought 3 packs. First pack got me a Culber so I was like nice let me try for a second, then I got a Bashir and I was like sweeet now I can FF/FE through hitting threshholds so I tried for a third and well you can see why I stopped right after that 300 honor and worthless schems. The photos posted in reverse order lol

w7ckiel2gnl7.png
    k2wu0r8v2gld.png

wblwkenybqp2.png
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I'm pretty sure this is a one time thing. While Shan didn't directly say this, it seemed to me that DB was going to start making the 4*, in the ranked rewards, count towards the next event. If this is something that they are doing from now on (like they did with the ranked 5*) then I'm assuming the extra event 5* (Culber) is only here to make up the deficit.

A similar thing happened when DB started making the ranked 5* count towards the next event. People got upset that there was a "gap", in the event crew, the event before the change. As a result, DB ended up giving away a 1/5 Tux Nog, via the mail, to compensate.

While I think it's a good idea to carry the 4* forward in all events, Shan did in fact indicate in a response that officially she is not aware of that as their intention. Saying it was unique to the next event. Hopefully it is not.

As to the format of having an event crew that can't be gained by playing the event, I do not like it. Much like Data was added to the Threshold, Culber should be added to this one. I don't appreciate an event crew that can't be gained by playing the event or ranking in the event. It's a poor precedent to events being weighted in favour of spending.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I don't like it very much. It's true that it makes it safe to open at least one event pack, but that only means that it gives you an almost certain chance to buy a 4th star for the super-rare with 650 dilithium. And that might be a good thing, but I don't think that it outweighs the disadvantage of:

1) Most players not having an existing event crew (Culber was packs only and is a relatively recent card)

2) Having to do many more pulls if you want a specific 5* out of the packs and not just a random one. So far it would take an average of 10 pulls to get the legendary (I know that it could sometimes take just 1 or more than 30, but generally speaking 10 pulls would give most players the legendary). For those who had the dilithium, it could make sense to spend it that way, but now, with 2 legendaries, the chances of getting the one you actually want have decreased.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little indifferent, although I do share the same concern about not getting the legendary you want I had a 4/5 professor and ended up getting a Detective data instead didn't mind too bad as I already had him at 1/5 but it would have been nice to immortalise the professor instead. My View would be have two packs eg The Riker Pack and the Culber pack, and both offer Bashir as the purple.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love it. don't waste dilithium on existing purples. every pull was useful for me. even started a 2nd Mycelial Culber
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank? wrote: »
    I may be missing one, but to my knowledge, we've seen this twice before really:
    1. "They Came From the Holodeck! 2 & 3" - Doctor Chaotica, Arachnia Janeway, Captain Proton Paris
    2. "The Trouble with Klingons 2 & 3" - 23rd Century Martok, 1701 Sisko, 1701 Jadzia Dax
    3. "Holograms Are Forever" - Jazz Musician Odo, Bashir, Julian Bashir, Waitress Ezri
    4. "Ghost in the Machine" - Rogue Kai Winn, Dr. Soong, Lore*
    5. "Dictators, Unite!" - Interfaced Barclay, Frank Hollander, Mirror K'Ehleyr
    6. "A Brute Squad 2" - North Star Tucker, Frank Hollander, Claiborne Chekov
    7. "Merry Men" - Will Scarlett, Beowulf Kim, GI Chakotay**
    8. "Season of Love 2" - Ambassador Troi, Kal-if-fee Kirk, Kal-if-fee Spock
    9. "The Genesis Wave 2" - Klingon Bride Jadzia, General Chang, Ambassador Sarek***

Right. So about twice.
    /s

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that it's potentially easier and cheaper to FF the new 4* crew, since there's only one SR crew in the event packs.

I wouldn't be opposed to a change in the ranked rewards, where the existing 4* featured in the event that just finished is replaced with an existing 5* crew that would feature in the next event, similar to the new 5* crew in the ranked rewards. That would be great, especially if ranking in the top-1500 would still land you 4 copies of the existing 5* crew. This could be an answer to the requests for giving players another way to get copies of old/decrepit 5* crew.

That would still give players 3 featured event crew, but far less players would go into events with at least 1 immortalized option (currently the existing 4* crew).
  • Options
    eXo | SilverRose (retired)eXo | SilverRose (retired) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I like the idea that the purple you win through ranked rewards is useful for the next event. Makes sense given the change to have the gold carry forward, and would be super beneficial for newer players who may struggle to get and level event crew from thresholds. Gives them a bit more time.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    one pack, one bashir. works for me. im out.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a concept, perhaps IF the second Legendary were at the 400,000 Threshold. Pack Only is a sucker bet.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a concept, perhaps IF the second Legendary were at the 400,000 Threshold. Pack Only is a sucker bet.

I could get behind that.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    one pack, one bashir. works for me. im out.

Two Packs, two Straight Drops of Bashir. But second one did give me two Stars for the same Crew from two Beholds:

3oxjgem5bp5f.jpg
    4evwx07e8r9n.jpg
    2j3qev0sjkfl.jpg

Just passed 18,000 Points in Event, and Bashir is FF.........

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be missing one, but to my knowledge, we've seen this twice before really:
    1. "They Came From the Holodeck! 2 & 3" - Doctor Chaotica, Arachnia Janeway, Captain Proton Paris
    2. "The Trouble with Klingons 2 & 3" - 23rd Century Martok, 1701 Sisko, 1701 Jadzia Dax
    3. "Holograms Are Forever" - Jazz Musician Odo, Bashir, Julian Bashir, Waitress Ezri
    4. "Ghost in the Machine" - Rogue Kai Winn, Dr. Soong, Lore*
    5. "Dictators, Unite!" - Interfaced Barclay, Frank Hollander, Mirror K'Ehleyr
    6. "A Brute Squad 2" - North Star Tucker, Frank Hollander, Claiborne Chekov
    7. "Merry Men" - Will Scarlett, Beowulf Kim, GI Chakotay**
    8. "Season of Love 2" - Ambassador Troi, Kal-if-fee Kirk, Kal-if-fee Spock
    9. "The Genesis Wave 2" - Klingon Bride Jadzia, General Chang, Ambassador Sarek***

Right. So about twice.
    /s

Two and nine are pretty much the same thing. Who among us hasn't occasionally told someone our favorite show was Deep Space Two?

I'm still on deep space one. Things are slow here in the UK :)
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO