Home The Bridge

Mini-events/re-runs

Hi,

Do we think there's any chance Timelines could add some mini-events on Tuesdays/Wednesdays? Maybe re-runs of half of events (e.g. the Faction of a Faction/Galaxy or the Skirmish of a Skirmish/Faction). A lot of us take solace in playing this game, and we're going to have a lot more time on our hands and might just be nice to have a bit more to do?

Comments

• robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    They tested one two weeks ago so I suspect the chances are high, but I'm not sure their turnaround is fast enough to give us all something to do during these times of social distancing unless it was already planned.

I do like your suggest of re-running half of the hybrid events.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no programmer, but I wonder how hard it would be to re-run an single-phase event (any type) and simply reduce the time to 24 or 48 hours, from the original 96 hours? It would give players something to do during off days, without having to worry about creating any new content.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I'm no programmer, but I wonder how hard it would be to re-run an single-phase event (any type) and simply reduce the time to 24 or 48 hours, from the original 96 hours? It would give players something to do during off days, without having to worry about creating any new content.

What we've seen from them in the past, given the state of the code, it will take more than you think.

Some other questions to consider beyond the "code", how do you re-balance for a shorter event? What do threshold rewards look like? Should there be meaningful rank rewards or a flat reward like the last mini event? Should there be community rewards? What would an extra event mid-week do to player engagement for the weekend events?

All of that and more needs to be considered. And done while their staff is also WFH and under their own stresses right now. I understand why people want something else to do, but unfortunately things are not always as simple as "just redo X".
  • RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    It would be great to have a short event (mini) more often. Gives me an excuse not to do housework
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Adding more event time to game makes it seem like more of a chore to me. The events already take up a significant amount of time and I just threshold and out usually. I didn't even bother finishing the thresholds for the mini-event because it would have taken away too much family time.
  • RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    Events are already a grind. These need to be addressed. But in the meantime a few minutes I events are fine by me.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I guess if some people don't have the time or desire to be offered more activities, the entire game should be held back to a lowest common participation
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, just let us have events 24/7, it‘s not like there isn t already some complaining about the regular events every week, without having a break. 😉
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Much like participating, neither reading nor complaining is mandatory.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roxton wrote: »
    It would be great to have a short event (mini) more often. Gives me an excuse not to do housework

Subscribe to the Criterion Channel and dive into films in a language you don't speak. Can't do housework if you have to read subtitles.
    Adding more event time to game makes it seem like more of a chore to me. The events already take up a significant amount of time and I just threshold and out usually. I didn't even bother finishing the thresholds for the mini-event because it would have taken away too much family time.

Seems to me you've got your priorities straight, choosing people over a game. Still, worth noting that you had better things to do during the early part of that week. There may be other weeks when those are the days you're looking for something to pass the time. Maybe those will be the flukes, but they're bound to happen. Wouldn't it be nice if there was something to check out at any given point in the week and not just the weekend?

If anything, I would think filling in the non-event days with events of some configuration would make it easier to pick and choose rather than participate out of habit. (As an aside, when events feel rote, it's probably healthy to just not participate in an event or two at all. I check out periodically. It helps.)
  • ShadowPresenceShadowPresence ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, especially during these interesting times, so if you're looking for another vote, count me as a Yes! I, however, will not likely be able to participate and I'm thinking my participation in the immediate future will likely decline some. My work load has increased with current conditions the way they are. But just because a cool idea doesn't fit into my schedule doesn't mean I'm going to squash the idea all together. I think giving people something else to do when many can do it is a great idea. So yeah, I vote Yes!! :)
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of an activity. I don't want it to be an "event" though.

I'm sure some of those might take the format of something similar to an event. But, I don't think mid week activities should be typically competitive. Having rankings for everything detracts devalues weekend events. They should be some form of assist with crew or mini episodes to give the game more flavour leading up to, or coming out of an event. The mid week should be about community and building.

Something like the McCoy thing. But it doesn't have to be gold crew. Or Maybe like a mini thing like an event that the 3* or 4* from the event is featured in that helps equip the card. Maybe the threshold in it is a 4th copy of the 4* card after a faction. Maybe a bit of minor farming leading into a galaxy. But no ranking. Just help building crew for those who might not have the stockpile of a 99.

Maybe something like a mini story that leads between events. For example, you click through it like you would for the event story, but between pieces it's gives you a special shuttle mission or two or asked you to build something once, a couple skirmishes. (Claymore Scotty crashs on a planet. Repair his shuttle [single galaxy task, askes you to collect a recipe]. Leaves planet [defeat a gauntlet of 4 K'Vort]. Send shuttle mission to Memory Alpha.)

I think the game could be more fun and engaging with some emphasis on flavour. Not everyone will need or want each thing. Some people need to be more comfortable with not having every new thing having a huge value for them.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I agree with all of this:
    Exanimus wrote: »
    I like the idea of an activity. I don't want it to be an "event" though.

I'm sure some of those might take the format of something similar to an event. But, I don't think mid week activities should be typically competitive. Having rankings for everything detracts devalues weekend events. They should be some form of assist with crew or mini episodes to give the game more flavour leading up to, or coming out of an event. The mid week should be about community and building.

Something like the McCoy thing. But it doesn't have to be gold crew. Or Maybe like a mini thing like an event that the 3* or 4* from the event is featured in that helps equip the card. Maybe the threshold in it is a 4th copy of the 4* card after a faction. Maybe a bit of minor farming leading into a galaxy. But no ranking. Just help building crew for those who might not have the stockpile of a 99.

Maybe something like a mini story that leads between events. For example, you click through it like you would for the event story, but between pieces it's gives you a special shuttle mission or two or asked you to build something once, a couple skirmishes. (Claymore Scotty crashs on a planet. Repair his shuttle [single galaxy task, askes you to collect a recipe]. Leaves planet [defeat a gauntlet of 4 K'Vort]. Send shuttle mission to Memory Alpha.)

I think the game could be more fun and engaging with some emphasis on flavour. Not everyone will need or want each thing.

However, I disagree with this:
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Some people need to be more comfortable with not having every new thing having a huge value for them.

I will decide for myself what I value and be comfortable with my own judgement. Also, I would appreciate it if you would please refrain from telling other players how they should be. Thank you. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust