Home The Bridge
Options

Is 9 weeks between skirmish events too long?

{DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
Assuming the event following next week's re-run of The Galactic Series is a skirmish, that will make twice in a row that we've had a span of 9 weeks between skirmish events. If the event following next week isn't a skirmish, it'll be a new record for longest stretch between skirmishes. I know some people love them and some people hate them, but it's hard to deny how important they are for developing fleets. So I ask, is 9 weeks too long between skirmishes?

Is 9 weeks between skirmish events too long? 107 votes

Yes
75%
ADM Fletcher [ET]Warrior WilloXanatharCaptain TFSSR BarkleyZombie Squirrel RocpileeXo | das411Capt AjammCpt. CavemanCommander SinclairHungry Dog DDM12345678 of 123456789PhotonKim~peregrine~I will not blame the player for my mistakesDrone_one[RR] DarkAngel(HGH)ApolloCFOHSilverknight 81 votes
No
24%
ReginoldJuddAviTrekCloneJim RaynorJim Steele[TLA]  84wbCommodore Decker[S47] ELiLFrank?sexy_ladyParker RobbinsEmperor Borg Drone (SC)Castell-NeathKatlaMúspell[BAD]=GBP= Plain Simple Garak.•°rÅTT°•.muwooCaptain SMRJoeSage 2 26 votes

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have no fear. The first Mega Event will be one. And the existing Crew will be a Pack Only. So most people won't have Event Crew until after the first or second run..........
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Forgot to say. I'm in the "Love Skirmishes" camp. Skirmishes are like Arena Battles, except I get to win.......
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Yes
    I'd love to see a skirmish, or at least a hybrid, every month. Especially if we have to continue to shelter in place.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well, we have to admit that Cataclysm was in between. Still... way too long for the best event type.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Yes
    It has been a long time, though that pilot mid-week event was basically a skirmish with different rewards.

I have a love/hate relationship with skirmishes. I always look forward to them because of the rewards and opportunity to farm space missions. Then, usually about an hour into the event, I remember how boring and monotonous they are and wish I could just warp them.
  • Options
    Yes
    For those that think 9 weeks isn’t too long between skirmishes, is it just because you don’t like them? Or do you have other reasons? Surely you see the benefit they have for your starbases (assuming it isn’t already maxed) even if it’s not particularly your favorite event type? And it’s not like we have an abundance of event types. Only 3 that we get on a somewhat regular basis. Do you really enjoy playing the same 2 event types 9 weeks in a row?
  • Options
    IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I enjoy skirmishes. I'd like to see more.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    My heart yearns for a skirmish.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I very much miss the honor and chron geyster of the skirmish.
  • Options
    Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    Yes
    This made me chuckle ^_^
    Forgot to say. I'm in the "Love Skirmishes" camp. Skirmishes are like Arena Battles, except I get to win.......

!00% agree with this
    I'd like to see a monthly fixed rotation.

Fraction
    Skirmish
    Galaxy
    Expedition

Do a Rerun in months with a fifth Thursday.

Maybe occasionally mix it up with a Hybrid or two.

First, I do like skirmishes; probably my favorite event type. Personally, I think galaxy events are WAY more grindy than skirmishes. I think TP could reduce that grind, significantly, if they dropped the intro and outro of the individual battles. To quote another post, "I don't need to see my ship flying in and I don't need to see their ship blowing up."

That said, I think DB only tried a skirmish hybrid 2 or 3 times. So, you know, maybe more of that. IMHO, a faction/skirmish hybrid would be the best.

Final thoughts, I would also like to see more expeditions. However, Until TP puts in a dedicated "bonus crew" tab, they shouldn't bother.
  • Options
    Yes
    Well I'd like to see skirmishes more regular. But - with the current connection issues I'm happy when I just do nearly nothing for a event.
  • Options
    Yes

Fraction
    Skirmish
    Galaxy
    Expedition

An expedition every month? No thanks.

How about a rerun every month, and an expedition only on a fifth Thursday? That I could get behind.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! Amen to that! Better rewards too

• Options
    Unnar wrote: »

Fraction
    Skirmish
    Galaxy
    Expedition

An expedition every month? No thanks.

How about a rerun every month, and an expedition only on a fifth Thursday? That I could get behind.

The idea being, everyone would get a crack at their favorite Event Type once a month.

Banjo1012 wrote: »

Ha! Amen to that! Better rewards too

Much better rewards.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I finally have a few crew I have been sitting on (leveling only for dailies) so a Skirmish to upgrade all those crew would be very welcome right now!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    No
    Skirmishes to me are by far the biggest grind, so I don't mind the big gap between them. I am surprised it's been that long though.
  • Options
    No
    And it actually hasn't been that long if you factor in that mid-week event mini we had
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it actually hasn't been that long if you factor in that mid-week event mini we had

Which is prolly why it’s been so long between them

• Options
    Yes
    Do you guys really count the mini beta as a skirmish? No event crew, no fleet/squad ranks, increased intel costs which was awarded from away missions as well. It might’ve looked like a skirmish on the surface, but it most definitely wasn’t in my book. Which isn’t to say I didn’t love it. But it lacked some major benefits of a regular skirmish.
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys really count the mini beta as a skirmish? No event crew, no fleet/squad ranks, increased intel costs which was awarded from away missions as well. It might’ve looked like a skirmish on the surface, but it most definitely wasn’t in my book. Which isn’t to say I didn’t love it. But it lacked some major benefits of a regular skirmish.

A Skirmish is a great opportunity for me to spend a few supply kits and run thousands of missions stockpiling useful items while also getting Chron 'cashback' from the event. Being able to do this with away missions as well as space battles plus getting 7 freakin' K of dilithium from the thresholds more than made up for any shortcomings, for me, so I consider it a Skirmish.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

A skirmish it was. With a different name. The guidelines may have changed, as you have stated, but it was a skirmish none the less. If you give a team 5 outs instead of three and say there are no over the wall home runs, just ones you run out to get, you’re still playing baseball

• Options
    Yes
    I'm confident a fair number of you are in fleets with maxed out starbases.

I'm also confident that a fair number of your starbases benefited from skirmishes when they were happening every 3-5 weeks.

I'm also confident that a fair number of you would rather maintain your own fleet's advantage than admit it isn't fair to players in newer fleets to cripple their starbases development and deny them the same means of building their starbases that you guys benefited from.
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also confident that a fair number of your starbases benefited from skirmishes when they were happening every 3-5 weeks.

I'm also confident that a fair number of you would rather maintain your own fleet's advantage than admit it isn't fair to players in newer fleets to cripple their starbases development and deny them the same means of building their starbases that you guys benefited from.

Sure. But that doesn't mean the Skirmish mini-event wasn't a Skirmish.

And I'm confident that the thousands of dilithium acquired by the newer players in our (far-from-top!) fleet was a greater benefit to them than delaying a starbase upgrade by a couple of weeks. Unlocking shuttles #3 and #4 springs to mind. Our fleet suggested banking as many chrons as possible when the mini-event was announced, just in case. Perhaps your fleet should have done the same?
  • Options
    No
    Not if we get a mini-skirmish with dilithium rewards in those nine weeks. Otherwise yes.
  • Options
    Yes
    PenguinJim wrote: »

And I'm confident that the thousands of dilithium acquired by the newer players in our (far-from-top!) fleet was a greater benefit to them than delaying a starbase upgrade by a couple of weeks. Unlocking shuttles #3 and #4 springs to mind. Our fleet suggested banking as many chrons as possible when the mini-event was announced, just in case. Perhaps your fleet should have done the same?

You're free to speak as an authority for what's best for the players in your fleet. But don't presume to know what's best for the players in mine. My fleet has worked HARD over the past year to maximize gains and close the gap between us and the 200 fleets already at 134. We've passed up a lot of fleets that have been around a lot longer than us.

In the past 24 weeks, the frequency of skirmish events has dropped by more than 50%. Translation: Holoemitter distribution via skirmishes has decreased by 50%. If that's not a concern for your developing fleet, then we clearly have two very different kinds of fleets.

And why on earth would you assume we're not smart enough to stash chrons? Guess what? We're also smart enough to not throw them away by the thousands chasing rank in an event with squat for rank rewards, increased intel cost, half the honor, and half the chron return. Did your fleet chase rank in that event? Because... wow.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, polls with loaded language bother me, so I'm not voting. I'd rather just see a thread that says "9 weeks without a skirmish is too long."

Second,

Fraction
    Skirmish
    Galaxy
    Expedition

Not this. I get bored with 4 days of any event type. I understand the necessity for full faction events. But the rest... I'll take hybrids every time. In my ideal world, there would be a skirmish hybrid once a month and an expedition hybrid twice a year. Fill in the rest with as many hybrids as are practical.

I think that mini event was on the heels of a galaxy where I got in the top 10. Grinding through the cataclysm after that made it feel enough like a skirmish to me. Anyone complaining that there weren't good enough rewards should have spent their dilithium better. I was pretty darn thrilled with getting that much dilithium in two days, personally. Thrilled enough to grind through it after grinding a galaxy event pretty hard.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Yes
    First, polls with loaded language bother me, so I'm not voting. I'd rather just see a thread that says "9 weeks without a skirmish is too long."

Second,

Fraction
    Skirmish
    Galaxy
    Expedition

Not this. I get bored with 4 days of any event type. I understand the necessity for full faction events. But the rest... I'll take hybrids every time. In my ideal world, there would be a skirmish hybrid once a month and an expedition hybrid twice a year. Fill in the rest with as many hybrids as are practical.

I think that mini event was on the heels of a galaxy where I got in the top 10. Grinding through the cataclysm after that made it feel enough like a skirmish to me. Anyone complaining that there weren't good enough rewards should have spent their dilithium better. I was pretty darn thrilled with getting that much dilithium in two days, personally. Thrilled enough to grind through it after grinding a galaxy event pretty hard.

Loaded language? It’s the ACTUAL question I asked in the poll. I swear, this “community” is harder to please than a lynch mob.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    PenguinJim wrote: »

It had space battles, but it wasn't a skirmish. When it was announced, it was falsely announced that players would need to have all of their crew at home. If that had been true the event would have been either a galaxy or a faction, which would have meant prefarming or shuttle missions. Neither of those suggest a priority to prestock chrons. More people may have stocked chrons if the first announcement had said crew didn't have to remain home, because that would have suggested something with space battles. The event followed immediately after a real event. An event where I'm certain most spent chrons to build the threshold card. There was no real window to stock chrons. I'm going to go ahead and call your claim of fleet stocking fake news.

I'll unlock those shuttles when the 50% off sale extends to them. If I have to wait 5 years, I have to wait 5 years. The dilithium isn't burning a hole in my pocket and the campaigns will just keep stacking a few more crumbs on top. If it never happens I get to keep complaining about the long time players that got the benifit of having that sale available to them at one point. The world will go on.

Proper Skirmish events are a necessity. Long stretches without them leads to having too many cards sitting around waiting for the stingy voyages to finally drop enough rations. They are needed to clear crew space. There should be at least a hybrid skirmish if not a proper two phase skirmish once a month.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

Second,

Fraction
    Skirmish
    Galaxy
    Expedition

Loaded language? It’s the ACTUAL question I asked in the poll. I swear, this “community” is harder to please than a lynch mob.

Sorry. I'm picky about polls. Nothing personal. I don't want to distract further from your thread with my reasoning. I do hope we can get another skirmish soon. Ideally a hybrid. :)
    Farewell 🖖