Home The Bridge
Options

Is 9 weeks between skirmish events too long?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s good to see everyone shaking hands. It should have never got to that point but things happen. It’s what you do about them that matters and y’all did the right thing in the end
  • Options
    Yes
    Now that the dust has settled, I'll add my opinion to the mix. IMO, the ideal time between skirmishes is 4-6 weeks. I would love to see a Faction/Skirmish Hybrid added to the regular rotation as well, at a rate of 25-50% of all skirmishes being hybrids. I miss the holomitter accumulation and crew leveling benefits that skirmishes provide. With the small number of occurances so far, skirmishes have my highest average finish and highest average VP totals. I don't expect this to change as long as they still appear..
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that the dust has settled, I'll add my opinion to the mix. IMO, the ideal time between skirmishes is 4-6 weeks. I would love to see a Faction/Skirmish Hybrid added to the regular rotation as well, at a rate of 25-50% of all skirmishes being hybrids. I miss the holomitter accumulation and crew leveling benefits that skirmishes provide. With the small number of occurances so far, skirmishes have my highest average finish and highest average VP totals. I don't expect this to change as long as they still appear..

I would be happy if skirmishes were every 4-6 weeks, but I would rather 50-75% be hybrids. I can do all the skirmishing my heart desires in 48 hours. :) That means fully stocked holoemiters and replenished galaxy items. I would take the hybrid with any event type, including expedition.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Yes

I would be happy if skirmishes were every 4-6 weeks, but I would rather 50-75% be hybrids. I can do all the skirmishing my heart desires in 48 hours. :) That means fully stocked holoemiters and replenished galaxy items. I would take the hybrid with any event type, including expedition.

I think I actually agree with you on that. I totally get why people think they’re a grind, and I think the fact that they’re rarely part of a hybrid event exacerbates that problem. But I also understand why (in the past) DB has rarely run them as a hybrid. The points in one phase of a skirmish can easily dwarf those of practically and other event type, making the other phase mostly irrelevant. But still, maybe that would be the lesser of 2 evils.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    No
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    My issue with this whole endeavour has been the fact that the OP asked for peoples opinions and yet when they gave them he belittled or berated them for them, making accusations about their motives and generally letting their emotions spill into what was a fairly lighthearted conversation. I don't think it's fair that an outcome of this is other people being made a running joke of.

You make a fair point, but I’d like to at at least try to clarify my position, because you’re absolutely right, I did come off looking pretty bad.

First, I took it for granted that everyone knew I was talking about holoemmiters when I said ”starbase development.“ That was a mistake. I admit it. I think that led to confusion right off the bat.

Secondly, I took it for granted that anybody who voted “no” and didn’t expand on why in a comment was voting that way because they just didn’t like skirmishes. I actually realized that was probably a mistake fairly quickly. I made a post trying to clarify that pretty early. It was more of an afterthought. I was tempted to edit the original post, but thought editing a poll after votes were cast was inviting conflict.

Lorca actually made a fairly solid case for why my poll was biased once he finally elaborated. But his first 2 comments, without the benefit of his later clarification, seemed extremely petty and nit picky. And within a few minutes, came the comment that I should’ve included a third option, to what I considered a fairly simple yes or no question. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t.

At that point, I was seriously considering the possibility that I was just being trolled. So yeah, I did kinda lose it. I’m as human as anyone else here. Sorry.

And lastly, I wasn’t specifically making fun of the player who suggested I should’ve added a third option to the poll, but rather this community as a whole. I was attempting to use humor to point out that this community CAN be quite ruthless at times. I think that’s a fair assessment after spending 3 years as a member of it. But I apologize to that member if they feel/felt like I was targeting them. I wasn’t.

Thank you for clarifying that! I wasn't trying to troll you. I realize now that this was already a very heated discussion when I posted my answer and that your question was rethorical. I tend to take things literally sometimes and I also tend to write long-winded replies and unrequited advice, but that's all. I don't always have a good awareness of how I sound, because this is not my first language and the one thing that I lack the most in English is an awareness of tone and register. I know what words mean and my grammar is probably ok, but I sometimes lack nuances. But unless I'm in an argument where I already got personally attacked or made fun of, I never try to be sarcastic or confrontative. So if I came over that way in my first or second post on this thread, I'm sorry. That was not my intention.

Later on I did feel targeted, especially since you kept referencing the one thing that I had written, even on another thread, which is why I sort of lost it too. I usually like this forum, because it's a good distraction from what's happening in real life right now and because people tend to be relatively friendly with each other (most of the time, at least :# ). I felt like I was being dragged into an argument that I didn't even take part in and turned into the center or scapegoat of it. But I'm happy to know that it wasn't intentional. Misunderstandings happen :)
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'd rather less skirmish events, yes the rewards are good but they are so mind numbingly boring
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I

I think I actually agree with you on that. I totally get why people think they’re a grind, and I think the fact that they’re rarely part of a hybrid event exacerbates that problem. But I also understand why (in the past) DB has rarely run them as a hybrid. The points in one phase of a skirmish can easily dwarf those of practically and other event type, making the other phase mostly irrelevant. But still, maybe that would be the lesser of 2 evils.

Skirmish/Galaxy hybrids could mitigate that problem. I would lean towards those a lot, given they also provided community rewards. I hope we will get another such hybrid someday. This has only be done once so far.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    I

Skirmish/Galaxy hybrids could mitigate that problem. I would lean towards those a lot, given they also provided community rewards. I hope we will get another such hybrid someday. This has only be done once so far.

Now that you mention it, galaxy does mitigate skirmish from a gameplay perspective. Faction would mean no community rewards, so more pack and deal sales. The down side, of course is coding two different event types. It's probably a little more labor intensive.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    Yes
    OP = Smelly? (I'm going to assume so.)

If people thought I was making a joke, at Lorca's expense, that was not my intent. I genuinely thought he might have miss read the title. I do that, sometimes, myself.

That said, I see what Lorca meant now (I think). It's not just the question asked, it's also the opinion made before the question was asked. (Inside the thread proper.)

Personally, OP's post simply reads as "this is my opinion" then, "here is my question". Since he is asking for other's opinions, in the comments, it makes sense, to me, that he'd add his own.

And, hey, as long as I'm here:
    but it's hard to deny how important they are for developing fleets.
    As someone in a developing fleet, I disagree. Often younger members just want to threshold and out. Or, if they're like me, hit the old threshold and out (130k). In a skirmish, you can actually hit 130k with just the intel the game gives you. I generally make a lot more holo-emmiters during a galaxy event. (Because the ship battle either gives better "other" things or is the only available option.)
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    OP = Smelly? (I'm going to assume so.)

If people thought I was making a joke, at Lorca's expense, that was not my intent. I genuinely thought he might have miss read the title. I do that, sometimes, myself.

That said, I see what Lorca meant now (I think). It's not just the question asked, it's also the opinion made before the question was asked. (Inside the thread proper.)

Personally, OP's post simply reads as "this is my opinion" then, "here is my question". Since he is asking for other's opinions, in the comments, it makes sense, to me, that he'd add his own.

And, hey, as long as I'm here:
    but it's hard to deny how important they are for developing fleets.
    As someone in a developing fleet, I disagree. Often younger members just want to threshold and out. Or, if they're like me, hit the old threshold and out (130k). In a skirmish, you can actually hit 130k with just the intel the game gives you. I generally make a lot more holo-emmiters during a galaxy event. (Because the ship battle either gives better "other" things or is the only available option.)

We’re coming at it from different strategies. Lot’s of us farm space mission galaxy items during skirmishes and farm 0 of them during galaxy events. And if you’re just clearing thresholds in skirmishes OR galaxies, you’re not gonna net a ton of holoemmiters either way. But when you push for say, top 50 or better in a skirmish, you can end up with thousands. If you have 10-15 people in your fleet all pushing like that, it makes a huge difference in the time it takes your fleet to complete rooms. Whatever strategy you choose is fine. I think the strategy I just laid out is a fairly common approach though.

• Options
    @Emperor Borg Drone
    I don't always have a good awareness of how I sound, because this is not my first language and the one thing that I lack the most in English is an awareness of tone and register.

This is hard (for me at least) even if you are a native English speaker. When it comes to writing, tone is one of the hardest things to get across. I think its one of the reasons (if not the reason) emoticons and emojis became so popular. They helped convey tone, when writing.

I dismissed emoji as a fad for a long, long time. When this was explained to me, I started using them religiously. Can't understate the value of this post! :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    Yes
    ;-D
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    🙋🌈🔭🌃🌌🌑🐵🐻🦁🐯🐱🐶🐺🐹🐭🐰🦊🐨🐼🐷
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Definitely too long. I enjoy Skirmish more than Faction or Galaxy, so to have a long run of those gets very tedious.

Hell, I wouldn’t mind an Expedition every couple of months.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For me, I love skirmishes for the honor drops. If you don't play it much, you might only get 1-2K honor, and so you might think "what's the big deal?". I play it a lot so I generate in the neighborhood of 20-25K honor each time. That's a ROI that I can embrace. Give it to me every 4-5 weeks! :)

I completely understand the "it's a boring grind" argument, but every event type is a grind if you are competing for a high rank (and I don't mean leaderboard-level placement, just top 1000-ish). I would instead suggest that there is something that underlies our individual aversion to certain event types. I could be wrong, but this is the feeling I get from reading player comments over time:

For skirmish - at root, probably you just don't enjoy space battles. That's fine.
    For galaxy - probably the resource sink/waste is what gnaws at you.
    For faction - it's probably the tied-to-the-clock aspect of it.
    For myself, I can't stand expeditions, and my issue is that I don't enjoy the time investment in selecting crew and clicking through the animations for the momentary VP return that it produces. It feels like a too much time sink for a limited return, and it just doesn't trigger my dopamine response.
  • Options
    Yes
    Definitely too long....need to keep the events from being as stale & repetitive as possible
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    And now we get one Skirmish hybrid and one full Skirmish in the Mega. So no reruns for them. This is really sad. How shall we ever get more Skirmish reruns or flashbacks this way? :(
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    One and a half Skirmishes across three weeks...that ought to fix the problem.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One and a half Skirmishes across three weeks...that ought to fix the problem.

And when most people are on lock down. Scores could be interesting.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm only going for Garland's Uniform this week, to save Chronitons for the Galaxy and Skirmishes in Picard Mega.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?