Home The Bridge

Who's your favorite mother from the Star Trek universe?

Mother's Day will be here soon, so it might be fun to start a poll and find out which Star Trek mothers are most popular with the fans. Although I tried to include selections from all ST programs, I'm not familiar with anything produced after Enterprise...apologies if any more recent characters are not represented. The list also had to be pared down to 10 names, so I went with the women who probably had the greatest influence shaping some of our beloved main characters. Please feel free to post your own comments about which mothers you like best, especially if there wasn't room to include them on the list. Have a good time, and a great M-Day!
"We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III

Who's your favorite mother from the Star Trek universe? 113 votes

Amanda Grayson
13%
ADM Fletcher [ET]Commander SinclairCommodore Decker12345678 of 123456789(HGH)ApolloTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)Shy KhanDirk GundersonCaptain Leo WalshIshmael MarxLegate Damar GrimbleRen~]§[ JonathanMajor_Gee 15 votes
Doctor Beverly Crusher
22%
Warrior WilloAviTrek[KM]VidemSSR BarkleyRocpileGeneral McDuckGrumpferHungry Dog DDM[S47] ELiLMirrorMartigan[Deleted User]Capt. Pete Owen[DC] Picard Loves Reds{DD} SmellyDownriverRick I'm a Doctor, Not a...[SoCo] MatzeDahar Commander 5 of 12muwooBakerbeanz 25 votes
Doctor Juliana Soong
1%
WaldoMagKatla 2 votes
Helena Rozhenko
0%
Ambassador Lwaxana Troi
21%
IvanstoneAggeSoupKitchen RikerInquisitor Troi-RikerMatt_DeckerMirror CartmanTP:ToPetter ~SE~PrimusSpockyEmperor Borg Drone (SC)AandraaMuffanVerzweigterThorozar Captain SMRJoeSage 2Capt_MayaMirrorVerse JcEm CamAvatruneiNSEA Protector 2001 24 votes
Keiko O'Brien
7%
Nad Halcmdrworf[GoT] LuckyNumberHatPompeyMagnusMe [AUS]Proont.•°rÅTT°•.Shellandflame[10F] Unnar 9 votes
Jennifer Sisko
1%
RaraRacingguest_488227145519104 2 votes
"Moogie" Ishka
25%
Sabine of AthensZombie Squirrel V.Travis S McClain[QH] OxmyxJim RaynorPhotonKimK Han Solo Ng & Thank4 All DteaOdo MarmarosabluetibAdmiral Lon Suder {SE}DScottHewittPenguinJimDavideBooksSelene 7Captain_JanmanAdmiral 8QTarisBylo Band[¥SA] Son_Of_Sarek 29 votes
Ensign Samantha Wildman
5%
Drone_oneguest_757423444811776LjofaMúspell[BAD]Prime LorcaMr. Hobbs 6 votes
Chief Engineer Rianna Mayweather
0%
Ironagedave 1 vote

Comments

• Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amanda Grayson
    Amanda does appear in Discovery.
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    Acknowledged. My own vote, gotta go with Moogie lol. She epitomizes the "supermom" archetype: supportive as a mother & wife, while blazing a trail as an empowered woman redefining the genderal roles of her society. This was a choice made with the head...my heart would've picked somebody who simply did a great job raising a favorite character. Possibly Grayson or Soong, but most likely Wildman :)

BTW, here are 8 names I was forced to cut:
    - Mother Horta
    - Regent Eleen Akaar
    - Ambassador K'Ehleyr
    - Guinan
    - Romulan Consort Natasha Yar
    - First Maje Consort Seska
    - Chief Engineer B'Elanna Torres
    - Commander T'Pol

Guinan should probably be everyone's first choice, right? Except we never got to meet any of her children, so oh well. The Horta is almost a given, since she and her equally-brilliant children went on to do great things within the Federation. K'Ehleyr & Torres both seemed to have nice kids, but our glimpses were all too brief...and T'Pol's situation was downright tragic. While Tasha certainly made a heroic bid to free herself & Sela from the Romulans, the fact that Sela grew up to be such a villain sort of puts her out of the running. And who on Terra would have voted for Seska or Eleen, am I right? Except for, y'know, Catwoman...
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

• Amanda Grayson
    Amanda all the way :smile:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    Mother Horta!

Oh yeah, I love me some hortas. My favorite ST novel is still TNG: Dyson Sphere, which featured Captain Dalen as CO of the all-horta USS Darwin:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Dyson_Sphere_(novel)

Amanda Grayson
    K’ehleyr was the first one I thought was missing from the list.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amanda Grayson
    Amanda does appear in Discovery.

Yep she is a two-fer which is why I picked her over Moogie who is also awesome.
    Let’s fly!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Moogie" Ishka
    Hit Moogie before I realized that I missed out on Mrs. Mayweather. She is my real vote.
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    K’ehleyr was the first one I thought was missing from the list.

Agreed, it pained me to omit her. She was, of course, the definitive half-Klingon back when Torres was still just a glimmer in Rick Berman's eye...

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot to include “other” in the options. Brace yourself. Let me know if you need info on the traumatized forum member support group. We meet on Wednesdays.

Ha! I was about to say something similar.

• "Moogie" Ishka
    Lol this was my first poll, so I'll bear it in mind if I live to do another.

Nice to see a little Sisko support out there...Jake was always a stand-up kid.

Amanda Grayson
    Lol this was my first poll, so I'll bear it in mind if I live to do another.

Nice to see a little Sisko support out there...Jake was always a stand-up kid.

We only get to see the real Jennifer in “Emissary”, I don’t count the mirror version.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amanda Grayson
    Moogie gets my second-place vote, by just a hair’s breadth.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ensign Samantha Wildman
    You forgot to include “other” in the options. Brace yourself. Let me know if you need info on the traumatized forum member support group. We meet on Wednesdays.

This is a good poll. No leading or loaded language in the opening that I see. Adding the "other" option would remove one of the ten choices. It's legitimate to leave it out in this case. There is an explanation of why Discovery and Picard were left out. As far as I'm concerned, the bases are covered. If it gets attacked, I for one will defend it.

All that said, I'm still debating. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I will say that there's a mother on Star Trek: Picard who would probably get my vote if she were included. Of the ones on the list, I'm debating a few of them. Lwaxana Troi is a favorite character, but not so much as a mother, even though Deanna turned out just fine. Amanda Grayson is ok, but I have yet to figure why she married a Vulcan in the first place. I think it will come down to one of the bottom three.
    Farewell 🖖
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dax. It was always hilarious when she elaborated about her mother- and fatherships.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    Dax occurred to me as well, but a whole 'nother poll would have to be dedicated to her hosts alone...

@ Damar - I assume that a mother like Jennifer Sisko, with next to no screen time, would have to be evaluated based upon how her son turned out. While Benjamin obviously deserves a lot of the credit, no doubt Jake can thank his mom for a healthy part of his nature & nurturing.

• "Moogie" Ishka
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Would Tucker count?

Here's the deal...you create the poll when Father's Day rolls around :D

• Ambassador Lwaxana Troi
    Nice to see that giving an honest and well-inteded answer to a question on how to improve a poll turns you into an ongoing joke on these forums. It's always nice to entertain people.
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Would Tucker count?

Here's the deal...you create the poll when Father's Day rolls around :D

Hmm, doesn't resolve the issue though. Tucker carried the baby, if that makes him the mother I can't put him on the fathers list...

I don't have to be, but I will be honest, if it's up to me the poll for that day won't happen. If I could destroy that observance I would. So seriously, don't count on it. I'd put a bullet through my head before observe that day. There's never been a single one to warrant it.
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    To be fair, you raise an interesting point about what exactly constitutes motherhood. Reproductive gestation is something we usually associate with a female parent...but what about a world where some children might be hatched after an incubation period? Or cloned? Or manufactured (like Data)? In our own world, it's not uncommon for a person to become a parent via adoption or surrogate pregnancy. This is really a somewhat philosophical question which has more than one answer, depending upon the prevailing cultural mores or belief systems. It's a head scratcher...

IMHO it seems that society's bias tends to lean towards nurture over nature, i.e. motherhood usually emphasizes the rearing of children over the birth process itself. I say this only within the context of my own personal experience and cultural background, so please hold back on writing me a lot of angry letters lol. My thoughts on the subject were undoubtedly influenced by such children's literature as Hans Christian Andersen's The Ugly Duckling and Theodor Geisel's Horton Hatches the Egg. And to a lesser extent, Darrin Stephens' interesting role in Bewitched.

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    "Moogie" Ishka
    Male seahorses.........
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
    Ensign Samantha Wildman
    I picked Naomi Wildman. If I had to pick a Trek mom to be my mom, that's who I would pick. That might be a little boring, but I have respect for boring. She's dedicated to Starfleet, protective, and loving. Probably the reverse order of importance, but she just seemed the mommiest mom to me.
    Farewell 🖖
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    I picked Naomi Wildman. If I had to pick a Trek mom to be my mom, that's who I would pick. That might be a little boring, but I have respect for boring. She's dedicated to Starfleet, protective, and loving. Probably the reverse order of importance, but she just seemed the mommiest mom to me.

Testify, I agree 100%. As mentioned earlier, if I hadn't felt compelled to cast a "political" vote for Moogie, my gut would have steered me towards the Wildmans. What I personally like most about Naomi's development, is what a perfect posterchild she became of the old "It takes a village to raise a child" school of thought. Although we saw a similar dynamic in the life of young Wesley Crusher aboard the Enterprise, the writers never truly nailed the theme until Voyager came along.

Ensign Samantha Wildman

Testify, I agree 100%. As mentioned earlier, if I hadn't felt compelled to cast a "political" vote for Moogie, my gut would have steered me towards the Wildmans. What I personally like most about Naomi's development, is what a perfect posterchild she became of the old "It takes a village to raise a child" school of thought. Although we saw a similar dynamic in the life of young Wesley Crusher aboard the Enterprise, the writers never truly nailed the theme until Voyager came along.

That's one take, but not quite my view of it. I think Naomi was more representative of the 90's latchkey kids. She had that freedom in a relatively safe environment. Considering the times, it seems possible. It's also possible that I'm trying to steer the conversation away from more political things. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Moogie" Ishka
    I wish to cast 2 votes. My primary vote for my favorite ST mother, Moogie, and a second vote against Dr. Crusher :p Her best season of TNG was season 2.
  • Where is Dr Jurati, the "mother" of the synths??!!
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    Where is Dr Jurati, the "mother" of the synths??!!

Sorry, I guess I'm having a senior moment because I don't remember this character or episode at all. Which series was she in? Or was she possibly from a novel, or comic...? :/