Home The Bridge

Who's your favorite mother from the Star Trek universe?

2»

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Ensign Samantha Wildman
    It was covered in your description at the beginning. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    I'm confused, but that's nothing new :D But whatever, just consider that mother to be a write-in vote. And I am still interested in who she is and where she comes from, if more info is forthcoming...?
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • Ambassador Lwaxana Troi
    Where is Dr Jurati, the "mother" of the synths??!!

Sorry, I guess I'm having a senior moment because I don't remember this character or episode at all. Which series was she in? Or was she possibly from a novel, or comic...? :/

She's in ST:Picard, but you wrote that you're not familiar with the newer shows, so you probably don't know her :)
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    Where is Dr Jurati, the "mother" of the synths??!!

Sorry, I guess I'm having a senior moment because I don't remember this character or episode at all. Which series was she in? Or was she possibly from a novel, or comic...? :/

She's in ST: Picard, but you wrote that you're not familiar with the newer shows, so you probably don't know her :)

Ah, that explains it...thanks so much. I pride myself on remembering most of what I saw up through Enterprise, so I was panicking a bit there :P
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

• "Moogie" Ishka
    Since I might've jumped the gun when creating this thread, I'm now bumping it up in honor of tomorrow. And I would still encourage write-in votes & discussion, even to do with the new programs :)

• KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Doctor Juliana Soong
    Wildman assumed Neelix would be there for her kid. She was an absentee mother with an assumption that someone else had a responsibility for her daughter.
    Not my first choice as a good mom

I picked Soong. That episode was profoundly touching
  • Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    Ensign Samantha Wildman
    We've never gotten an Ensign Samantha Wildman card have we... =[

Boooo!
  • marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador Lwaxana Troi
    To be fair, Tasha actually gave her life for her kid. The others might have if they needed to, but Tasha actually did. It’s not her fault Sela grew up to be such a “see you next Tuesday”. Maybe if Tasha had succeeded in smuggling her child off of Romulus, Sela would have been a different person altogether.

Tasha’s life was ineffably tragic.
    Ambassador Lwaxana Troi
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I wish to cast 2 votes. My primary vote for my favorite ST mother, Moogie, and a second vote against Dr. Crusher :p Her best season of TNG was season 2.

Harsh. :D I always liked Gates, but thought Pulaski got an unfair shake. Sure, there were a few missteps with her character at first, but all the characters had growing pains. I was just starting to enjoy her character when she got the axe.
  • KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Doctor Juliana Soong
    I wish to cast 2 votes. My primary vote for my favorite ST mother, Moogie, and a second vote against Dr. Crusher :p Her best season of TNG was season 2.

Harsh. :D I always liked Gates, but thought Pulaski got an unfair shake. Sure, there were a few missteps with her character at first, but all the characters had growing pains. I was just starting to enjoy her character when she got the axe.

Right? Just as you not only got used to her but actually started to really like her, she was gone.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Jennifer Sisko
    I haven't seen any of these mother's on screen (did not watch ST) ... although I have seen Grayson on Discovery.

--> so, my choice is from a gameplay perspective.

Mirror Jen was my first ever 4* I immortalised and she was great for me back in the day.

I also have a soft spot for Sarah Sisko and Keiko.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raffi
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Moogie" Ishka
    Keiko O'Brien has been catching some flack for her tenure on DS9, not for her role as a parent but as a "useless" botanist. I'd like to add my two cents, and point out that the writers dropped the ball when they left out one of the cornerstones of space station life: aeroponics. Perhaps the added fantasy elements of artificial gravity & inertial dampeners would have made hydroponics or vertical farming more appropriate? Either way, these sciences are part of the lifeblood of any sustainable, sealed community...botanists should have been in high demand. Happy Mothers Day, Keiko :)

Keiko gets a LIFETIME pass from me, because Rosalind Chao is amazing and got completely screwed in casting. She was a finalist to play Dr. Crusher and would have absolutely CRUSHED that role IMO, especially when compared to the inferior performance we ended up getting, which goes a long way toward my "harsh" assessment of the Dr. Crusher character. IMO McFadden did the worst job of anybody on that show (for example, listen to how she delivers her lines, she often rotates between a standard American accent and a wispy/breathy faux British accent AND BACK again in the same line!) and now that I know Chao was considered for that role it just makes me hurt inside. Keiko is amazing, Chao took a character the writers treated as a throwaway character TWICE and made us care about her!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amanda Grayson
    Keiko O'Brien has been catching some flack for her tenure on DS9, not for her role as a parent but as a "useless" botanist. I'd like to add my two cents, and point out that the writers dropped the ball when they left out one of the cornerstones of space station life: aeroponics. Perhaps the added fantasy elements of artificial gravity & inertial dampeners would have made hydroponics or vertical farming more appropriate? Either way, these sciences are part of the lifeblood of any sustainable, sealed community...botanists should have been in high demand. Happy Mothers Day, Keiko :)

Keiko gets a LIFETIME pass from me, because Rosalind Chao is amazing and got completely screwed in casting. She was a finalist to play Dr. Crusher and would have absolutely CRUSHED that role IMO, especially when compared to the inferior performance we ended up getting, which goes a long way toward my "harsh" assessment of the Dr. Crusher character. IMO McFadden did the worst job of anybody on that show (for example, listen to how she delivers her lines, she often rotates between a standard American accent and a wispy/breathy faux British accent AND BACK again in the same line!) and now that I know Chao was considered for that role it just makes me hurt inside. Keiko is amazing, Chao took a character the writers treated as a throwaway character TWICE and made us care about her!

I like Gates McFadden and her performance as Dr. Crusher. I think the problem was the writing for the female characters on TNG rather than any actresses. Marina Sirtis is a great actress but they gave Troi some of the weirdest episodes and lines and they kept having her character being attacked by men. Leave poor Troi alone TNG writers. Roaslind Chao was a great Keiko on TNG but I am not sure if she would have been a better Dr. Crusher as Dr. Crusher’s character was limited too. I do not believe anyone blames Rosalind Chao for DS9 Keiko’s for not being likable.
    Let’s fly!
    Ambassador Lwaxana Troi

FWIW, McFadden’s accent (as you describe it, I don’t really hear it) isn’t unrealistic in the sense I’ve met people who have it. It usually happens in Americans who have spent some time in England. I had an art history prof who grew up in America, but had spent 10 years or so in England teaching. She’d sound occasionally American, occasionally British, and sometimes something. In between. You could mostly hear it in the vowels. Her consonants were largely American, but her vowels had a tendency to switch back and forth.

I didn’t hear the same thing with Gates, but it’s not an unrealistic accent. You can hate it, but it’s definitely a thing.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amanda Grayson

FWIW, McFadden’s accent (as you describe it, I don’t really hear it) isn’t unrealistic in the sense I’ve met people who have it. It usually happens in Americans who have spent some time in England. I had an art history prof who grew up in America, but had spent 10 years or so in England teaching. She’d sound occasionally American, occasionally British, and sometimes something. In between. You could mostly hear it in the vowels. Her consonants were largely American, but her vowels had a tendency to switch back and forth.

I didn’t hear the same thing with Gates, but it’s not an unrealistic accent. You can hate it, but it’s definitely a thing.

Considering there is a British man with a British accent playing a French man I do not think we want to look too much at accents. It is the future. One planet where people travel instantaneously. It would make sense if accents are not as unique, pronounced, or separate.
    Let’s fly!
    Ensign Samantha Wildman
    Raffi

I can't tell if this was a joke, but I assume that it is.
    Farewell 🖖
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Ambassador Lwaxana Troi

I would add a choice, Counselor Troi. She gives birth to an alien being in a TNG episode. Having said that, the hot mess that is Lwaxana gets my vote.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
    Ensign Samantha Wildman
    I would add a choice, Counselor Troi. She gives birth to an alien being in a TNG episode. Having said that, the hot mess that is Lwaxana gets my vote.

I really do find Lwaxana to be the most entertaining.
    Farewell 🖖
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    "Moogie" Ishka
    I fisr looked at this so long ago and immediately hit Moogie without really thinking.

But most of the responses here have been who is the favorite character who happens to be a mother, or who did the most awesome stuff who happens to be a mother, or which character who happens to be a mother is played by the best actress? These are all different questions.

I think we need to look at this honestly on who is actually a good mother.

Most of the candidates can be immediately disqualified because we simply do not have a proper way to judge. For example, Dax may have been a great mother and great father, but we never ever see any results.

I think more mothers can be eliminated from the running because we see how their kids regard them and how they regard their kids. For example, I like Lwaxana, but her kid is pretty messed up and full of mommy issues. Moogie fairs better, but I think similar (her exception is that her culture is so different that she does pretty well).

We don't see much of Wildman, but we do see enough to know she does fairly well.

I think we are selling Crusher short since many of us don't care for Wesley. Setting aside how much you may or may not like Mom Crusher or her offspring, we can see she did a good job (mostly alone). Wesley is polite, courteous, and intelligent; best, he loves his mother.

Personally, if I could vote again, I would go with Mom Mayweather. I rewatched that episode this morning to confirm what I had remembered. She is a great mother. Her sons are both good men and well brought-up. She has kept them together without getting in the way. She respects her children's opinions and personal desires, but obviously has guided them since they are not spoiled and entitled. All this and more has she done while still being the chief engineer and medic. We also have every reason to believe she was a good wife and had the know-how and determination to keep her husband on track.

Rather than what character or actress do you like, which of these would you want as your mother?

Edit: I also see a good arguement for Amanda Grayson.

Poor Mother Mayweather has one vote, possibly because she is at the bottom (which is why I missed her) or because people have not seen her episode. It is season 2, near the end.
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    If we go all the way with instances of off-screen motherhood...I think that brings me back to Guinan or Mother Horta :blush:

• LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    Ensign Samantha Wildman
    From DS9: Kira Nerys did give birth to Kirayoshi O’Brien. Mila Garak was in a few episodes and had a few memorable moments. Kai Opaka was a mother - though she chose her sons life over sever hundred Bajorans.
  • Admiral 8QAdmiral 8Q ✭✭✭
    "Moogie" Ishka
    All great choices. But Moogie is at the top for me. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDLca6bq3Qk
  • Doctor Beverly Crusher
    After much consideration, I went with the mother I could most relate to as an only son. Troi, I would want for an eccentric aunt.
  • "Moogie" Ishka
    Troi, I would want for an eccentric aunt.

Or how about a godmother? I loved when Worf asked Troi to be soh-chim for Alexander. He explained that the word has no direct translation, but its closest meaning approximates that of "stepsister." She playfully reminded him that, should the worst happen and such an arrangement should go into effect, then Lwaxana Troi would technically become the boy's stepmother. Scowling, Worf gave this thought serious consideration, and finally answered "That is a chance I am willing to take." :D