Home Ready Room

What Was the Most Helpful Thing You've Learned on the Forum?

Description: Duh. Just what it asks. Try to keep to just one thing, though. And if you can remember who you learned it from, give 'em a shout out.

I think the single most helpful thing I learned on the forum was how to manage cadets. That thread was on the old forum, and the player who started it quit years ago so I can't name or credit them. That gave me a solid foundation upon which to build the rest of my game, because if I could crit one of the Epic missions, I had a chance to acquire one of those much-needed hard-to-get items. It also gave me a template for understanding how to manage my crew altogether. Without that, I doubt I'd have lasted more than three weeks.

Comments

• CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Tough question! LOL
    But for me it was finding out that good answers ARE actually to be found here! :) (And if one is persistent they might actually end up being easy enough to understand.) :o
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bitter snd negative some people can be on social media. I honestly had no idea but it has prepared me to be ready for it in other places
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I learned about the existence of the BBoB here but I could not find the link on the forum so I googled it. I do not remember who mentioned it back then though.

Btw I did not find the actual BB for a long time but always used this site instead: http://stt.doroexplo.com/all
    With the pictures it is noob-proof which was good for me.

Anyway, the BB tiers were gamechanging!
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Really Travis, only 1? :)
    In terms of regular gameplay, the faction kickstart has been the most beneficial.
    The forum is the first place I come to if I suspect any shenanigans with a pack, event, or offer. When it comes to advice, you can't beat the forums for getting the wisdom needed to succeed.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    How bitter snd negative some people can be on social media. I honestly had no idea but it has prepared me to be ready for it in other places

Indeed, some people are French showers, but I have also found so many people are excessively helpful.

For me, I suppose crew management and an appeal to be patient are the best lessons.
  • The most helpful thing is finding out that there are resources for just about every aspect of the game from every angle. If you have questions about anything, chances are there is an answer already written for it.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most helpful thing is finding out that there are resources for just about every aspect of the game from every angle. If you have questions about anything, chances are there is an answer already written for it.

Yes there are helpful, good people on here. The reason I mentioned the other group is that is what stood out as a learning experience to me. I’ve said on here before I can say the sky is blue and here will come people with a detailed explanation of why technically it’s not when in fact you look up and the sky is in fact blue.

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I’ve said it many times. @Data1001 is The Godfather of our forum. Great dude!

ijwqgqibwy7x.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Specifically - too many to name whether it was learning about the kickstart stratagems etc for the first time or which crew is best for what game aspect; there was and still is a great deal of information on these type of things.

Generally - the forum is the best resource for the game whether it was book of behold advice, crew level 100 spreadsheet etc or lively discussions/debates from fellow forum goers.

I've found sound advice and learned to look at other points of view and from other perspectives and whilst this isn't exclusive to the forum, it certainly is a constant reminder that we each have a lens we look through and others have theirs.

Lastly it's not something you learn per se but I would like to make special mention of event announcements made on Friday as this is always useful for planning purposes.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    What fleets are. And then what awesome fleets are.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • I usually to play alone.. then I discovered this forum and the fleets... the game turned much better!!
  • Three years ago (wow, was it that long), learned the most important newbie advice, which was to get Riker's Angels for Cadet Challenges. Thanks to the person who suggested it.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had been thinking, my first answer might be the galaxy event mission cost spreadsheet.
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »

Here Here😅
  • The Voyage Estimator pinned to the top of the Ready Room: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/175/tool-voyage-estimator-help-us-gather-data/p1

Even for a new player, Chewbacca C+ gives sound practical advice on how to best select a crew. After playing Timelines for only 2-3 weeks, I was already completing 2-hour voyages...and I've added another hour to my time since then. Thanks, man!
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a better answer for this in my head for all of about thirty seconds and then it disappeared before I could start typing. In the last ten days it hasn’t popped back in no matter what I’ve done to try to recall it, so I’ll go with learning about the kickstart for Faction events.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not something I "learned", per se, but the forum hooked me up with my current fleet, which I am immensely thankful for. After posting in Fleet Central what I was looking for, I was approached by the fleet's recruiter, and it sounded perfect — especially after having been in a mostly inactive fleet for several months. So I took him up on the offer — and after I spent some time there, I now assist him and our Admiral in managing our main fleet, which has now expanded to several fleets in our group.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Was joining my first fleet, then when star bases rolled out, leaving a dead fleet and starting my own. Mariners has been through a whole lot as a fleet, we were at 50 members for a long time, but are now in the 30s, we have had a father and his sons in the fleet, the sons only for a while, and the father switched fleets a few months ago, he helped me a lot getting things going.
    We are up to star base 121 and still going. Ranking in between 150 and 299 in events, with 2 or more members getting the ranked reward.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    To not take things about this game so seriously. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan 's helpful updates, replies, bug hunting, and tellings off when we misbehave.

The kickstarter advice, I used it a couple of times, then devised my own kickstart.
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/4358/kickstart-ideas-for-12-missions

The voyage calculators are good, again, I used them a few times, then wrote my own (unfinished).

Advice on the use of honor and dil in the early game.