2»

Comments

• Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Grant77 wrote: »
    Ace Boogie wrote: »
    I agree with OP. Enterprise had its flaws but I liked it anyway. I think they should have put the cards in events. I realize it was an unpopular shoe, so just do it every couple months.

Personally it feels like DB doesn’t have things planned out. Pretty sure the first Picard event was a long wait.

How about a smooth thought out flow to events. Make frequency based on most popular. TOS, TNG, and DS9 most often? Then rotate within characters with in the series. Where’s Scotty? Can’t tell me that makes a lot of sense.

Final thought: Thanks DB for the sec/com Klingon. There aren’t enough of those in the game.

We did have events in 2016 with ENT characters as event crew. Mirror Tucker in Prime Directive and Unlikely Heroes, Second Act had Suliban Reed, The Akritirian Job had Rure Penthe Reed and Family Tree had Mirror T'Pol.

Now in 2017, there was T'Mir in Retrograde, Guiding Principles had Captain T'Pol and Zero Hour had Mirror Phlox, (so three rather than the OP's two)

So one more in 2017 and you've got the same representation as in 2016, albeit a definitely smaller than the other shows other than TAS. (Discovery has more event characters but only did have 4, now 5 events)

I would say, also that with the polling that I've seen from the user base here, I'm not actually surprised that the representation is at the proportion that it is. TNG and DS9 consistently poll higher at least on both old and new forums compared to ENT when folks are asked what their favorite series is. Now you can argue that that isn't representative of the playerbase as a whole, of which I'd just ask DB to release their own polling data (I know they've asked questions along the same lines a time or two, esp around the discovery release.) to see if that jives with their numbers. Their actions tell me that there's a better than 40% chance that that is the case.

So if you want more ENT, though, I think doing what y'all are doing : speaking up and saying so is the best bet, especially in the Most Wanted Crew and Ships thread. (which has a lot more non-ENT than ENT in it these days.)

Travis old thread about what characters have never had an event seemed to have had a strong effect on DB in early 2017. We saw Jake Sisko, Wesley and characters that were main cast have their own presence in events. I think resurrecting that on this forum would be a very good step with the representation numbers of who has been used, how often and who hasn't. To show the data would also be a very good step in getting what you want. I think it would push them a little to get Scotty an event as well. (Probably end up with a Kes event finally as well.). (And no I'm not saying it has to be you, Travis, I'm complimenting the job you did do, and saying someone should go do the same thing.)

Here's a link to the old thread:

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/58165/

Started in December of 2016 and kept up through August of 2017

And I say this, really not being a fan of Enterprise, but wanting folks here to have a better satisfaction with the game and hopefully continue to have fun with it. It might also help the Discovery folks with some of their needs and wants as well, such as that Doc some folks are pining for.

T'Mir isn't T'Pol. It wasn't an oversight on my part, perhaps just a different interpretation.

T'Mir isn't T'Pol, but she is Enterprise, unless she somehow got retconned into that Starling ep of Voyager, making her one of three Enterprise characters to be event crew.

I was just counting main cast. We've had a couple of others like Orion Slaver and Advocate Kolos, but they hardly satisfy me as a fan of Enterprise. I would much prefer an event with Archer or Forrest to the one-offs.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. Enterprise had its flaws but I liked it anyway. I think they should have put the cards in events. I realize it was an unpopular shoe, so just do it every couple months.

Personally it feels like DB doesn’t have things planned out. Pretty sure the first Picard event was a long wait.

How about a smooth thought out flow to events. Make frequency based on most popular. TOS, TNG, and DS9 most often? Then rotate within characters with in the series. Where’s Scotty? Can’t tell me that makes a lot of sense.

Final thought: Thanks DB for the sec/com Klingon. There aren’t enough of those in the game.

We did have events in 2016 with ENT characters as event crew. Mirror Tucker in Prime Directive and Unlikely Heroes, Second Act had Suliban Reed, The Akritirian Job had Rure Penthe Reed and Family Tree had Mirror T'Pol.

Now in 2017, there was T'Mir in Retrograde, Guiding Principles had Captain T'Pol and Zero Hour had Mirror Phlox, (so three rather than the OP's two)

So one more in 2017 and you've got the same representation as in 2016, albeit a definitely smaller than the other shows other than TAS. (Discovery has more event characters but only did have 4, now 5 events)

I would say, also that with the polling that I've seen from the user base here, I'm not actually surprised that the representation is at the proportion that it is. TNG and DS9 consistently poll higher at least on both old and new forums compared to ENT when folks are asked what their favorite series is. Now you can argue that that isn't representative of the playerbase as a whole, of which I'd just ask DB to release their own polling data (I know they've asked questions along the same lines a time or two, esp around the discovery release.) to see if that jives with their numbers. Their actions tell me that there's a better than 40% chance that that is the case.

So if you want more ENT, though, I think doing what y'all are doing : speaking up and saying so is the best bet, especially in the Most Wanted Crew and Ships thread. (which has a lot more non-ENT than ENT in it these days.)

Travis old thread about what characters have never had an event seemed to have had a strong effect on DB in early 2017. We saw Jake Sisko, Wesley and characters that were main cast have their own presence in events. I think resurrecting that on this forum would be a very good step with the representation numbers of who has been used, how often and who hasn't. To show the data would also be a very good step in getting what you want. I think it would push them a little to get Scotty an event as well. (Probably end up with a Kes event finally as well.). (And no I'm not saying it has to be you, Travis, I'm complimenting the job you did do, and saying someone should go do the same thing.)

And I say this, really not being a fan of Enterprise, but wanting folks here to have a better satisfaction with the game and hopefully continue to have fun with it. It might also help the Discovery folks with some of their needs and wants as well, such as that Doc some folks are pining for.

T'Mir isn't T'Pol. It wasn't an oversight on my part, perhaps just a different interpretation.

T'Mir isn't T'Pol, but she is Enterprise, unless she somehow got retconned into that Starling ep of Voyager, making her one of three Enterprise characters to be event crew.

I was just counting main cast. We've had a couple of others like Orion Slaver and Advocate Kolos, but they hardly satisfy me as a fan of Enterprise. I would much prefer an event with Archer or Forrest to the one-offs.

You're right that makes 5 then in 2017 with this year having a larger ENT Representation than 2016. And Degra makes 6. Arik Soong 7

As far as main cast in 2017, there was also the re-run of Second Battle of New York which had Mayweather, which I missed in my 2016 count as well. Which makes 8 for cast, and 3 for main cast.

What's interesting is you start with a main cast piece then diverge onto a non-main cast tangent which make some your post a lil confusing.

But to some earlier points, 2017 has had a larger representation of Enterprise than 2016 if only incrementally.

Use of the vehicle Travis originally put together (and has since revived) is a great data driven method of prodding DB to put in front of them that there are Main Cast folks who've not had an event. Its worked in the past. There are 5 across 3 shows right now. It's worked in the past, maybe it'll work this time as well. Made Silver Rose among others happy.

ENT is under-represented when compared to other series (even Discovery) but is not being ignored. It also doesn't seem to survey as high as well, which may provide a challenge in getting a more dramatic uptick.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

You're right that makes 5 then in 2017 with this year having a larger ENT Representation than 2016. And Degra makes 6. Arik Soong 7

As far as main cast in 2017, there was also the re-run of Second Battle of New York which had Mayweather, which I missed in my 2016 count as well. Which makes 8 for cast, and 3 for main cast.

What's interesting is you start with a main cast piece then diverge onto a non-main cast tangent which make some your post a lil confusing.

But to some earlier points, 2017 has had a larger representation of Enterprise than 2016 if only incrementally.

Use of the vehicle Travis originally put together (and has since revived) is a great data driven method of prodding DB to put in front of them that there are Main Cast folks who've not had an event. Its worked in the past. There are 5 across 3 shows right now. It's worked in the past, maybe it'll work this time as well. Made Silver Rose among others happy.

ENT is under-represented when compared to other series (even Discovery) but is not being ignored. It also doesn't seem to survey as high as well, which may provide a challenge in getting a more dramatic uptick.

Whatever that Tuskegee thing is, it really has nothing to do with Star Trek or Enterprise. I thought I was quite clear that I counted real main cast and discussed how Archer and Sato haven't been in events. Most of the others seemed to understand, but I apologize if my point was not clear.

Two Enterprise main cast have been featured in a year compared to 20+ from TNG and similar numbers from the others. I get that it's not everyone's favourite show, but I request at least one Archer event and more than 2 main cast appearances in 2018 events. I don't think that is too much to ask.
  • Options
    Agreed. Some of us actually liked Enterprise and despite its obvious drawbacks some of those crew made a real impact. T'Pol was amazing, quite frankly, second only to Spock as a Vulcan character. I loved Phlox, I thought Trip was surprisingly awesome even though he annoyed me at first and some of the recurring characters were great too. There were some outstanding storylines and crew development, and I watched all of it from start to finish without getting bored and with only one episode as being particularly jarring for the first three seasons. I can't say that about any other Star Trek series. It's different, yes, but not quite as different as Discovery or Abrams. I just wish star trek would move forward instead of annoying prequels. Messing with Canon is really annoying and I really enjoy exploring into the future. Anyway. Rant over. I agree. More Enterprise please DB!
  • Options
    cannabinationcannabination ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I mean, aside from T'Pol and Porthos I don't really care too much about Enterprise. Once it found its stride it was pretty good, but then it ceased to be pretty quickly after that. Regardless, with some of the ridiculous characters we're getting I see no reason there shouldn't be an event for Archer if no one else. There are versions of him on the sonic toilet that are better than the dude we got as a 5* this week, and the new O'Brien looks like the conclusion of one of those episodes..
    Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
    -Lord Wizzlestix I
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

So, if you're eliminating non-canon versions of main cast, that drops the TNG numbers a bit below 20 from your original estimate, it eliminates at a minimum Augment Riker, Assimilated LaForge, among other Wesleys and a Picard.

Tuskegee Mayweather is actually from an event that is an actual sequel to an actual Enterprise ep. The First Battle of New York was in Storm Front II -- So though non-canon the Second Battle is an actual send up of an actual Trek Ep unlike some of the other non-canon entries. Since Timelines is time travel and colliding timelines, it's actual more plausible than Riker being Augmented and actually based on a real ep where they are trying to make sure Storm Front II actually happened while in period attire. (Sounds like something that fits right in with the Temporal Cold War).

And that's the thing, and the reality, non-canon characters are a part of the game. A small (~2% part) but a 'real' part of the game.

And if main cast was your entire issue, why bring up Forrester or others? Tells me that supporting and other cast are important to you, just the ones you want, not the ones you've gotten. Or they are red herrings. That's what provides confusion or rather lack of focus to your original post.

I do empathize tho, as with the pack distribution you're damned if you do or damned if you don't. Buy the pack and ENT gets ticked up in DBs mind, but as a monetized item, don't buy and miss out on getting desired ENTs.

If you look closely I'm giving you additional ways that could be effective in getting your message across. Part of which is a consistent and coherent message. You can take this as a dis all you like, but I think you'd be more effective making some of these adjustments to your message.

Frankly, I hate ENT. Literally. I've shredded DVDs and burned the boxes they've come in that have been given to me as gifts. But what I do want to see is more people here and retained in game with a good level of satisfaction. I think clarity is the way to do that, and hyperbole the enemy of it.

I actually do hope you get an Archer and a Hoshi event. I'll prob toss the characters personally, but it would probably be a good move for DB at some point. But as with getting a Picard event (which so many folks said was impossible to ever have) it may take some uplift to get DBs attention. (which is why I recommended the Travis thread resurrection, I'm not sure we'd have ever gotten a Sulu nor a Picard event without it being a constant or at least recurring reminder)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    BelleAnna wrote: »
    Agreed. Some of us actually liked Enterprise and despite its obvious drawbacks some of those crew made a real impact. T'Pol was amazing, quite frankly, second only to Spock as a Vulcan character. I loved Phlox, I thought Trip was surprisingly awesome even though he annoyed me at first and some of the recurring characters were great too. There were some outstanding storylines and crew development, and I watched all of it from start to finish without getting bored and with only one episode as being particularly jarring for the first three seasons. I can't say that about any other Star Trek series. It's different, yes, but not quite as different as Discovery or Abrams. I just wish star trek would move forward instead of annoying prequels. Messing with Canon is really annoying and I really enjoy exploring into the future. Anyway. Rant over. I agree. More Enterprise please DB!

I'm sorry but do you realize you're advocating for a prequel while advocating that prequels are not a good direction to take? The issue you have with STD is what a lot of folks have with ENT when it comes to canon as well. Its just more blatant with Discovery.

That being said, it exists and like Discovery should be a living part of the game. There's been some progress this year vs last, and I hope you get the Archer and Hoshi events that you want.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    Colonel Grat
    Was a great Quantum Leap Easter Egg to reunite Stockwell and Bakula

Now I'm thinking we really need a Quantum Leap-themed event with Archer and Grat... and from Voyager, Captain Braxton (Bruce McGill). As Braxton was a time-traveler, there would be all sorts of interesting ways to integrate each of them into the game.

0v2ah1phl1r7.jpg
    jziu92omxpud.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Ace BoogieAce Boogie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I mean, aside from T'Pol and Porthos I don't really care too much about Enterprise. Once it found its stride it was pretty good, but then it ceased to be pretty quickly after that. Regardless, with some of the ridiculous characters we're getting I see no reason there shouldn't be an event for Archer if no one else. There are versions of him on the sonic toilet that are better than the dude we got as a 5* this week, and the new O'Brien looks like the conclusion of one of those episodes..

Very good point about the ridiculous characters! I’m looking at my ff super rare from the last 2 months and I don’t even know if it’s worth touching most of them. The cartoon. Torres mommy. The dominion chick. Tmir. Martia! I have no problem with any of them, but do they really have any use besides honor? What is there replay value?

I understand DB wants to throw some one offs at us here and there but why not systematically roll out the core crew. If enterprise is that hated give it a 10% market share. Thats 5 events a year or 15 total crew spread out. That easily covers a couple versions of each core crew member. From what I’ve read on here people lost there s**t over the new phlox so it can’t be that hated.

I really don’t think DB is organized. The wait for the first Picard event was silly. He has to be top 5 so what’s the reason behind that? Last Kirk event? Scotty is very recognizable. Not to take a jab at DB but they mess up so regularly that it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t realize they were missing these characters.

• Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    So, if you're eliminating non-canon versions of main cast, that drops the TNG numbers a bit below 20 from your original estimate, it eliminates at a minimum Augment Riker, Assimilated LaForge, among other Wesleys and a Picard.

Tuskegee Mayweather is actually from an event that is an actual sequel to an actual Enterprise ep. The First Battle of New York was in Storm Front II -- So though non-canon the Second Battle is an actual send up of an actual Trek Ep unlike some of the other non-canon entries. Since Timelines is time travel and colliding timelines, it's actual more plausible than Riker being Augmented and actually based on a real ep where they are trying to make sure Storm Front II actually happened while in period attire. (Sounds like something that fits right in with the Temporal Cold War).

And that's the thing, and the reality, non-canon characters are a part of the game. A small (~2% part) but a 'real' part of the game.

And if main cast was your entire issue, why bring up Forrester or others? Tells me that supporting and other cast are important to you, just the ones you want, not the ones you've gotten. Or they are red herrings. That's what provides confusion or rather lack of focus to your original post.

I do empathize tho, as with the pack distribution you're damned if you do or damned if you don't. Buy the pack and ENT gets ticked up in DBs mind, but as a monetized item, don't buy and miss out on getting desired ENTs.

If you look closely I'm giving you additional ways that could be effective in getting your message across. Part of which is a consistent and coherent message. You can take this as a dis all you like, but I think you'd be more effective making some of these adjustments to your message.

Frankly, I hate ENT. Literally. I've shredded DVDs and burned the boxes they've come in that have been given to me as gifts. But what I do want to see is more people here and retained in game with a good level of satisfaction. I think clarity is the way to do that, and hyperbole the enemy of it.

I actually do hope you get an Archer and a Hoshi event. I'll prob toss the characters personally, but it would probably be a good move for DB at some point. But as with getting a Picard event (which so many folks said was impossible to ever have) it may take some uplift to get DBs attention. (which is why I recommended the Travis thread resurrection, I'm not sure we'd have ever gotten a Sulu nor a Picard event without it being a constant or at least recurring reminder)

You should realize that Forrest (not Forrester) is a key recurring character and not a one-off like Orion Slaver. He appears as much as characters like Jake Sisko.

My message was perfectly coherent to everyone but you and I don't desire any further condescending 'tips'. Thank you.
  • Options
    You should realize that Forrest (not Forrester) is a key recurring character and not a one-off like Orion Slaver. He appears as much as characters like Jake Sisko.

My message was perfectly coherent to everyone but you and I don't desire any further condescending 'tips'. Thank you.

You really haven't been clear. You're sending mixed messages on what you say you want and are cherry-picking your examples to make it look like Enterprise is less represented than it is. You want more Enterprise, but you have failed to make clear what would actually count as Enterprise representation in your mind. You want to only count main cast, but then say you want Forrest? Forrest is NOT main cast, even if he is recurring, not even close. (Jake is main cast, and is credited as such. And no, Forrest does not appear nearly as often as Jake does.) Tuskegee Mayweather apparently isn't "real" enough for you , but when we get "real" Enterprise characters like Kolos and T'Mir, you won't count them towards Enterprise representation (and T'Mir is even played by one of the main cast actors).
  • Options
    I'm sorry but do you realize you're advocating for a prequel while advocating that prequels are not a good direction to take? The issue you have with STD is what a lot of folks have with ENT when it comes to canon as well. Its just more blatant with Discovery.

I am aware of exactly what I said. I'm not a fan of prequels yet there are some parts I can appreciate. I would like Star Trek to move forward instead of trying to fill the gaps (and messing with canon to make a good story). My favourite shows are Deep Space Nine, Voyager and The Next Generation. In that order. I like the characters in both The Next Generation and The Original Series. But I didn't like everything about them, TNG was stilted and some of the stories were awful. Voyager had some terrible moments. And sometimes I can't stand Deep Space Nine. There are flaws in every show and yet I still manage to love most of the characters and the universe. If that's illogical, I certainly wouldn't be the first on this planet that's for sure. Spock would have a field day with me, and I'd love and hate every moment of it. And Spock was my very first role model.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

You really haven't been clear. You're sending mixed messages on what you say you want and are cherry-picking your examples to make it look like Enterprise is less represented than it is. You want more Enterprise, but you have failed to make clear what would actually count as Enterprise representation in your mind. You want to only count main cast, but then say you want Forrest? Forrest is NOT main cast, even if he is recurring, not even close. (Jake is main cast, and is credited as such. And no, Forrest does not appear nearly as often as Jake does.) Tuskegee Mayweather apparently isn't "real" enough for you , but when we get "real" Enterprise characters like Kolos and T'Mir, you won't count them towards Enterprise representation (and T'Mir is even played by one of the main cast actors).

Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan
    2 real (as in, appearing in the show) main cast have been featured in the calendar year. I think that isn't enough.

Captain Archer has never appeared in an event. I think that he should.

I also think that some key recurring characters like Forrest should be a part of this game.

Sorry for having two perfectly clear, but separate thoughts in one post. I know that confuses you and I should be reprimanded and disgraced for it.