Home The Bridge

How many Mega Events would you like each year?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
It came up in another thread that some players may prefer to have fewer mega events per year. There were some factors listed. I'll try to list some from memory. You may wish to read below for things to consider in making your decision.

- More mega events means more 4/5's.
- Individual events during a mega have traditionally been unavailable for re-run/flashback.
- Re-runs and flashbacks add stars to existing legendaries.
- Mega events do not contain re-runs or flashbacks.
- Mega events use a common pool of bonus crew, reducing merits needed for thawing bonus crew.
- There have been concerns about quality and quantity raised. (I assume this will be discussed below.)

This is not an all-inclusive list, so consider reading below before voting.

(I am not including "other." Please pick something close and explain below or refrain from voting and voice your opinion.)
Farewell 🖖

How many Mega Events would you like each year? 110 votes

12 per year (more than current)
10%
[RotP]Ran AirenWaldoMagBeratis Kesla RedjacRogaDanarNSEA Protector 1966Ren~JD 220Fi®3wallMiT Sanoa[G5618] Mauzi[10F] UnnarRF 12 votes
6 per year (same as before)
45%
Warrior WillopbertZombie Squirrel V.Travis S McClainJim RaynorAlthea BiermontJim SteeleBakksterJayBeezyDrone_oneJean-Luc Kenobi(HGH)ApolloCaptain Murphyguest_757423444811776TP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)Gib - Admiral MarinersIronagedaverobownageMirror Cartman 50 votes
4 per year (every three months)
30%
Captain DurfRocpileeXo | das411General McDuckCommander Sinclair[KM] WOLF 359·§ë· For the ManyRaraRacingAgge[S47] ELiLSoupKitchen RikerFrank?sexy_ladyGhostStalker[CFOH] BearcatDScottHewittWebberoniSpockyCaptain Leo WalshIshmael Marx 33 votes
3 per year (every four months)
7%
SSR BarkleyOdo MarmarosaPompeyMagnus*Nomad* {PoF}Castell-NeathAldudeTarisJohn Luck Pikkard 8 votes
2 per year (every 6 months-ish)
3%
~peregrine~JoeSage 2MirrorVerse Jcpancakeblock 4 votes
1 per year
2%
Hungry Dog DDM[Deleted User]Almost a Angel 3 votes
0 per year
0%
Whenever there is a new show/season to celebrate, regardless of time
0%

Comments

• 6 per year (same as before)
    I think the events every other month are great.
  • Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every second month works for me.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the idea from @SSR Barkley . I should tag him for some more in depth analysis. Not to mention recognizing his inspiration. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • 12 per year (more than current)
    I'd like more. To me, the only negative would be the lack of reruns. But I would also like to see a way to do rerun megas. Swap the recurring 5* with one from one of the individual events perhaps? Only rerun one week each of 4 different megas?
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the ebb and flow of megas. One month of anticipating 390 packs with occasional decent 490 packs to keep me sated, one month of occasional all-ins, a re-run/flashback or two, and dil-saving.

I also find the mega bonus is usually a good incentive to finally add those stars. My Gladiator Spock and Wrathful Kirk might both still be 2/5 if not for that TOS mega!
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think the actual schedule of every 2 months is perfect.

Megas provide, „mostly“ great stats 4/5 crew, which can be easily obtained even for new players.

Why make it any harder for peeps to get a better roster?

Regarding quantity/quality. Well it‘s same with regular events that
    have „stinkers“ crew and / or theme. For Megas at least we get a „free“
    4/5 on top.

If you don t like the Mega theme/crew or whatever and ur roster is perfect...just don t play. ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 4 new ones each year and 2 re-run megas?
  • 3 per year (every four months)
    3 per year. Make the cards and story in them Mega as oppsed to tepid and crappy

Are you talking about having them set the standard for stat creep?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rerunning older megas with a new recurring character would be nice.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    As each mega gives a free 4/5 I do not understand why people would want fewer of them. Do you want fewer free 4/5’s?
    Let’s fly!
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    As each mega gives a free 4/5 I do not understand why people would want fewer of them. Do you want fewer free 4/5’s?

Not to reduce this argument to an extreme, but yes. I believe this breaks down to this: quality vs quantity, and the people arguing for fewer mega events are really asking for quality over quantity.
  • 3 per year (every four months)

Are you talking about having them set the standard for stat creep?

Not mega as in stat creep per se, but Mega in terms of the type of characters and story given...eg a Captain Riker 5 star for a Borg storyline that could involve them turning on the federation and setting up a new unicomplex, a pah wraith Jake sisko for a bajoran story where the prophets battle apollo etc.

Just something "mega" if that makes sense??...recurring legendaries that people would actually term "legendary"; run very limited, event specific merit / dilithium / pull offers that change over the 4 week run....run event specific achievements over the course of the event to earn a 5 star card like McCoy....just anytjing /something to get excited about again
    edited April 2020
    Bylo Band wrote: »

Not to reduce this argument to an extreme, but yes. I believe this breaks down to this: quality vs quantity, and the people arguing for fewer mega events are really asking for quality over quantity.

Do they really think fewer would give better quality? Seems like you would have fewer megas and no better quality or not enough better quality to justify fewer. Currently if there is a bad mega at the end of it you just have to wait a month for a new one. If instead you only had two megas and one was bad you would not have another for five months.
    Let’s fly!
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Do they really think fewer would give better quality? Seems like you would have fewer megas and no better quality or not enough better quality to justify fewer.

It's hard to improve upon 4 stars on the house in terms of quality. Besides, if people really want a skill combo for some reason, they just have to ask, typically the devs are good at giving us crew people want.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 per year (every 6 months-ish)
    furyd wrote: »
    I'd like to see mega-events be MEGA-EVENTS.

One, maybe two a year at a push, and the plotline is foreboded for months - we're talking about the text of every event being forensically torn apart for clues, the board chattering away excitedly, friendly bets (I'll change my av to DISCO Janeway if you're right! kind of thing) based on said clues, real or imagined, a real flurry of guesses.

Then a couple of weeks as a prelude, then BOOM, 4 weeks of something special, then a week or two of coda events, making utility of some of the mega 4*s that otherwise wouldn't get much re-use.

Each week would have four crew + the mega, with one an existing 4* card, two new 4*s and a new 5*, rather than the regular event three, to highlight that it's different.

And the repeat 5* crew would be mega - maybe a Gauntlet beast, maybe a rare combo, maybe a single skiller with brutally high base a la McCoy.

It should be something to look forward to, debate, never at the same time every year, not an every other month SSDD thing, but something to genuinely spring on the players.

All of this. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    edited April 2020

Do they really think fewer would give better quality? Seems like you would have fewer megas and no better quality or not enough better quality to justify fewer. Currently if there is a bad mega at the end of it you just have to wait a month for a new one. If instead you only had two megas and one was bad you would not have another for five months.

I believe based on your reply that you are referring to quality in terms of card strength, but I believe the quality in this context is that to which @Castell-Neath is referring, we want actual LEGENDS to be recurring mega crew, not just some random janitor or something (this is a joke) because we need a new mega crew to fit the schedule.

A good example (and one I'm TOTALLY not biased toward!) of what a truly legendary recurring mega event character is somebody like Determined Janeway. She's the captain, she battled the Krenim for a year straight, dang near lost, and literally rammed Voyager into the time ship to restore the timeline.

A good example of a 'meh' recurring mega event character is Etana Jol (HA, I bet you thought I was going to say Minuet!) who was a forgettable character from a single episode who barely even gets shown.

In this context, "quality" has very little to do with a card's usefulness and nearly everything to do with being a crew that is truly deserving of being heralded as "MEGA!" and to the question at hand, if we need to run fewer mega events to ensure that all of the recurring cards are worthy of being "mega", that is what we are saying (I think, at least that is what I'm saying, lol).
    edited April 2020

I believe based on your reply that you are referring to quality in terms of card strength, but I believe the quality in this context is that to which @Castell-Neath is referring, we want actual LEGENDS to be recurring mega crew, not just some random janitor or something (this is a joke) because we need a new mega crew to fit the schedule.

A good example (and one I'm TOTALLY not biased toward!) of what a truly legendary recurring mega event character is somebody like Determined Janeway. She's the captain, she battled the Krenim for a year straight, dang near lost, and literally rammed Voyager into the time ship to restore the timeline.

A good example of a 'meh' recurring mega event character is Etana Jol (HA, I bet you thought I was going to say Minuet!) who was a forgettable character from a single episode who barely even gets shown.

In this context, "quality" has very little to do with a card's usefulness and nearly everything to do with being a crew that is truly deserving of being heralded as "MEGA!" and to the question at hand, if we need to run fewer mega events to ensure that all of the recurring cards are worthy of being "mega", that is what we are saying (I think, at least that is what I'm saying, lol).

Ah ok I get what you mean then. But let’s look at the last six mega event legendary recurring like Determined Janeway you mention: Determined Janeway, Q as God, Timekeeper Tenavik, Garth of Izar, Picard and Number One, and Soji. That is a great group that spans the trek universe. 3 of those are amazing and 3 are good to great. Seems like the company has done well.
    Let’s fly!
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

From purely an in-game crew strength standpoint, that logic falls apart rather quickly. Borg Queen, Etana Jol, Cornwell, Ru’afo, Determined Janeway, Surak, Qod, Tenavik, Garth, and Pupcard are all important to my day-to-day operations and Gun Show Picard, Darth Bashir, Kortar, Kol, and even T’Kuvma either have been huge contributors in the past or still have more niche uses today. I expect Soji to be highly helpful as well. This is despite having most of the top 25 voyagers, most of the top gauntleteers, and plenty of great depth crew for most every skill combination.

From the standpoint of which characters are chosen, okay. The choices don’t always make sense - Thrax, Etana Jol, or even Soji don’t hold a candle to the likes of Janeway, Surak, Garth of Izar, or the Queen. That being said, I think there is enough Trek out there where we could have epic character choices for mega legendaries even without dropping the frequency at which they are featured. There are plenty of Tuesday pack-only crew or 4*s that rightly should have been mega-event crew - imagine a Section 31 mega with Section 31 Georgiou as the recurring legendary...instead, she gets thawed out for a couple weekends a year and that’s about it for anyone with more than a dozen legendary crew of any fusion level.

From purely an in-game crew strength standpoint, that logic falls apart rather quickly. Borg Queen, Etana Jol, Cornwell, Ru’afo, Determined Janeway, Surak, Qod, Tenavik, Garth, and Pupcard are all important to my day-to-day operations and Gun Show Picard, Darth Bashir, Kortar, Kol, and even T’Kuvma either have been huge contributors in the past or still have more niche uses today. I expect Soji to be highly helpful as well. This is despite having most of the top 25 voyagers, most of the top gauntleteers, and plenty of great depth crew for most every skill combination.

From the standpoint of which characters are chosen, okay. The choices don’t always make sense - Thrax, Etana Jol, or even Soji don’t hold a candle to the likes of Janeway, Surak, Garth of Izar, or the Queen. That being said, I think there is enough Trek out there where we could have epic character choices for mega legendaries even without dropping the frequency at which they are featured. There are plenty of Tuesday pack-only crew or 4*s that rightly should have been mega-event crew - imagine a Section 31 mega with Section 31 Georgiou as the recurring legendary...instead, she gets thawed out for a couple weekends a year and that’s about it for anyone with more than a dozen legendary crew of any fusion level.

I hope it has been cleared up but just in case, the quality in question was about having worthy characters, not about card strength :)
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am happy with the current amount, every other month. This gives a few repeat events, where we can compete for extra stars, old 4* crew, or take the week off. It gives a few events that won't easily fit into a Mega.

Doing a mega every month would be silly, they would have to change the name for a start. It would lead to burnout, and put extra pressure on TP, who can use repeat events to concentrate on other matters.

One thing I would like to see is the primary skill of the crew rotate through all six skills throughout the year. e.g. Eng in Feb, Med in April, Dip in June etc. The same pattern for the next year. This would help all players, but especially newer ones, to build up a core crew set throughout the year.

Even though I would love a copy of the Borg Queen, I would be against repeating old Megas. This would lead to staleness in the game.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I guess I am not being realistic. This would mean 24 pretty much immortalized crew a year if one buys all campaigns. Maybe 3 should be dupe megas or 4 might be better. (Even 6 might work)

Edit:
    The more I think of it, I think 8 would be the better number. And two would be duplicates.
    I have to ask... Does the quality of the legendaries other than the recurring legendary factor it? I was excited for recaps during the TOS mega event. The last one wasn't terribly exciting. I wanted Twilight T'Pol, but the other three didn't matter to me. This one isn't exciting me yet. Elnor isn't great. Saru will be so similar to Soji that I don't find him exciting. Hugh has strong potential. Hopefully he gets that Hugh-nique skill order of CMD/MED/ENG. My enthusiasm for recaps will hinge on Hugh and whoever is last. The first two are kind of duds.

But is that even a factor? Is it all about the recurring legendary and the story? Do the SR's factor in at all? I personally don't put a lot of stock in them, but I'll level up duplicates if I get a good one.
    Farewell 🖖
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one isn't exciting me yet. Elnor isn't great. Saru will be so similar to Soji that I don't find him exciting. Hugh has strong potential. Hopefully he gets that Hugh-nique skill order of CMD/MED/ENG. My enthusiasm for recaps will hinge on Hugh and whoever is last. The first two are kind of duds.

Hugh is the last legendary for this mega, following Nhan, Elnor and Saru.
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    This one isn't exciting me yet. Elnor isn't great. Saru will be so similar to Soji that I don't find him exciting. Hugh has strong potential. Hopefully he gets that Hugh-nique skill order of CMD/MED/ENG. My enthusiasm for recaps will hinge on Hugh and whoever is last. The first two are kind of duds.

Hugh is the last legendary for this mega, following Nhan, Elnor and Saru.

Thanks. That goes to show how forgettable she is. She's not "bad"... just forgettable. But now that I see it, I'll probably stop pulling once I get that first Soji. Nahn, Elnor, and Saru just aren't worth more than that.
    Farewell 🖖
  • 4 per year (every three months)
    4 per year should be enough.
    Reason: In the meantime between the megas you need the time to collect 50k Honor to immortalize the 4/5 one.
    Not everyone is a whale here...
    Serving with Battleship Texas [BBTX]
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    This is a charged question. I can see at least two different major concerns.

One. New and Mid players wanting to be competitive. It breaks down to numbers. They want to get to eight and ten hour voyages ASAP. They want to be able to win 6 times in a row in the gauntlet. From this perspective, and the F2p perspective, the more 4/5s the faster they catch up. Re-runs and flashbacks are nice, but they drop 1/5 characters into your crew and their stats and abilities tend to pale next to recent adds.

Two, high level players. The game has gotten repetitive. They have large crews, depending on time served, with a wide range of */5 cards. For them re-runs are a way to complete cards, they might not even consider using any more. They have most of the cards they want, they may even play on a sort of cruise control just keeping up.

Dropping megas might mean more reruns and chances to finish and freeze a card. To take advantage of the cards they worked so hard to get. It's a positive of sorts. But those same cards are lower powered and represent honor investments for cards that may never actually be used. Some might be nice because you like the character, a few might even be useful still, but most are vanity at this point. Reruns aren't as useful to new players with limited slots and a desire to rank.

Frequent Megas will eventually produce an environment of 4/5 crews. While they will allow players to compete, having so many 4/5 cards could potentially devalue the rank reward cards. Why rank for projects? They are good now, but will require greater power creep to replace. As all of these cards keep getting added to the portal the gap between the use of a card dated 2016 and one dated 2022 is only going to grow. Unless the odds of getting a 5* from the portal increase, a lot of the original 5* cards will have absolutely no use beside new 4/4 cards. Players may be disappointed more often when they get a behold because the majority of cards in the pool will be old cards. Megas add more 5* cards to the pool.

There is an element of game balance that I think needs to be addressed before the frequency of megas. I picked up Detective Datachu and the Prof in the expedition. I know that citing these cards to bring them up to useful stats next to Qod and Soji is less useful than citing Annika. Citing them to clear the slot means sacrificing citing cards more useful for voyages and events.

I want to be competitive ASAP, same as everyone else, so it's hard to argue against mega events. But at the same time I can see the quantity of cards and power gap in the 5* pool is developing into a complex situation. Rather than Soji being mostly a new pic on a basic 5* card, it's a brand new card that has to appeal to old and new players alike to maximize profit. Which is why power creep exists.

Because there is so little use for 1-3* cards in the game, as well as to a certain extent 4* cards, the only card of value is the 5*. The name Legendary brings to mind a certain idea of limited representation. But in reality Super Rare and Legendary cards far outnumber the other three more "common" cards. The value of calling a card Legendary seems to be loosing some credibility. Which again speaks to quality and quantity. I think the developers need to bring in a unique and extremely useful use for common to rare cards that Legendary and SR cards can't be used for. I don't believe the problem is megas itself. The problem is they made a game where Legendary cards are all people need and want, and a rapid cycle of sating that.