Home The Bridge
Options

Arena Commander, Kang+Bird Of Prey = NO CHOICE

edited November 2017 in The Bridge
For months now, the captain rank of the arena has been dominated by 3* Kang and the Bird of Prey.

There is nothing that can compete with it.

To be clear, I have Kang FFFE, and Level 7 Bird of Prey, I *could* play this combination. But everyone plays it.

It's Boring.

I also have the 2* borg sphere and the 2* hirogen ship. For something that is limited time and dilithium only, they are quite under-powered.

They also don't have crew that really maximize their abilities (position and boarding respectively).

IMO, giving us new 3* crew that make these ships competitive would be the best solution.
But rebalancing them or others would work too.

DB, Please Do Something.

Comments

• Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct that 3* Kang with a Level 7 Bird of Prey are too dominant in the Commander Division of the Arena.

Regarding where there is a choice, and a admittedly small bit of competitiveness coming into play, is with respect to who gets slotted into the second (i.e., Engineering) position in the Battle Stations; I see a lot of variety here, and there does not appear to be a single option predominantly used by most players.
  • Options
    While the Kang example is particularly egregious, that's how the game works. For pretty much anything there's maybe a few best, and the rest can be pretty well ranked. Best Gauntlet crew, best 4* ship, best event characters, etc. There's no strategy or nuance involved, not even a rock-paper-scissors style balance. It's a collection game, and either you work for or buy the best in everything or lose to the people who do.

It would be nice if it was different, but that's the game's MO. Even if they weaken Kang, it will still be the same ship/crews over and over. The game's mechanics, even in ship battles, almost precludes anything else.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Morbo4 wrote: »
    While the Kang example is particularly egregious, that's how the game works. For pretty much anything there's maybe a few best, and the rest can be pretty well ranked. Best Gauntlet crew, best 4* ship, best event characters, etc. There's no strategy or nuance involved, not even a rock-paper-scissors style balance. It's a collection game, and either you work for or buy the best in everything or lose to the people who do.

It would be nice if it was different, but that's the game's MO. Even if they weaken Kang, it will still be the same ship/crews over and over. The game's mechanics, even in ship battles, almost precludes anything else.

You make a very good point ... I remember when there was a time where all you saw in this part of the Arena were Odo's everywhere ... players adapt and gravitate towards their best option.
  • Options
    "that's the way it is" is true of cancer, but we're trying to cure it. and as stated, i have that combo available to me.

"who is in the 2nd slot" is indeed a variable, but it's almost a meaningless one, cosmetic.

Look at the top of the other 2 divisions, and you will see a variety of ships. there is no single dominant strategy, and how you play is valid there. some people even have "offense" and "defense" builds for ships, to gain rank, and then hold it.

I do *not* recommend a nerf of Kang. Nerfs are not cool.

I'm a long time player, and a collector (as stated, "this is a collection game"). But my approach to STT is strategic, and I like my choices to matter. Please give me meaningful choice ;)

• Options
    eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    My Odo/O'Brien combination beats opponent's Kang/x combination about 65 percent of the time.

Hold off on pops. Cloak before opponent pops Kang. Wait for the cloak to disengage. Pop Odo and O'Brien. Set phone down because the arena mechanic was not designed with the same level of care or attention that went into the graphics of said arena battles.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    My Odo/O'Brien combination beats opponent's Kang/x combination about 65 percent of the time.

Hold off on pops. Cloak before opponent pops Kang. Wait for the cloak to disengage. Pop Odo and O'Brien. Set phone down because the arena mechanic was not designed with the same level of care or attention that when into the graphics of said arena battles.

I was just going to say this, you saved me some time.

I'm wary of a rebalance, as we used to have 2 viable ships and multiple crew combinations before they 'fixed' it with this current version.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Must be why I've been steadily plummeting in that division for the last few months (about when I decided to freeze Kang, I'll bet). Not that I really ever do more than one battle a day in there, anyway. I generally just use whichever rares I'm currently using for weekend missions, who also fit the featured skills -- right now, that's Talos IV Spock and Ensign Mendon. (Those two generally get blown up on a daily basis. :p )

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    "that's the way it is" is true of cancer, but we're trying to cure it. and as stated, i have that combo available to me.

"who is in the 2nd slot" is indeed a variable, but it's almost a meaningless one, cosmetic.

Look at the top of the other 2 divisions, and you will see a variety of ships. there is no single dominant strategy, and how you play is valid there. some people even have "offense" and "defense" builds for ships, to gain rank, and then hold it.

I'm a long time player, and a collector (as stated, "this is a collection game"). But my approach to STT is strategic, and I like my choices to matter. Please give me meaningful choice ;)

That's the thing, nerf is how DB will handle complaints of this type. As they did with Boxer Chakotay, or when they did a lil 'rebalance' on some of the ship stats, didn't also Reed get a lil chop chop in the other divisions as well

Unless we get some new folks and better ships in--- course I agree on the Odo usage as well, though they are weaker on defense from my experience.
  • Options
    Money + O'Brien is also a viable combo.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used Kang in the day of Odo and got wiped out. I froze Kang. Then DB improved Kang. And Kang was dominating. It took me a couple weeks to be able to get Kang out.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭

Based on the various ways they have been made available over time, I would think at this point that a good number of players possess both Odo and O'Brien. For these players, if they are using a different combo (i.e., the popular Kang/x one), then what you are implying is they are choosing to deploy a combo that is only a 35% winner, when they could instead be having a 65% winner. Does it make sense that so many players would be making that type of choice?
  • Options

Hold off on pops. Cloak before opponent pops Kang. Wait for the cloak to disengage. Pop Odo and O'Brien. Set phone down because the arena mechanic was not designed with the same level of care or attention that went into the graphics of said arena battles.

I changed out my Kang/Wildman combo for Odo/O'Brien on Thursday and won every matchup against the Kangs. Great, I thought. Then yesterday and Friday, I did the exact same thing and won only once. At this point I'm assuming it's random.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options

I changed out my Kang/Wildman combo for Odo/O'Brien on Thursday and won every matchup against the Kangs. Great, I thought. Then yesterday and Friday, I did the exact same thing and won only once. At this point I'm assuming it's random.

As with most things in this game, it comes down to RNG -- the ship that gets the most crits wins....
  • Options
    Kang is the only 3-star that can hit +9 Attack, with essentially no drawback. IIRC, the nearest runner-up is Jazz Musician Riker at +7, and Riker has a steep drawback. Other 'good' Attack crew are +6 and still come with drawbacks. As long as Kang is so much better than all the other +Attack crew he will be the strongest choice. And since Kang requires Cloaking to get his huge bonus, the only ship we'll see is the only one with Cloaking.

I know nerfs are unpopular, but at this point Kang needs it. He is head-and-shoulders above the competing options, and it is far healthier to nerf an outlier than try and buff multiple other units to his level and likely wind up overshooting on at least one of them.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

When faced with "nerf the outlier" or "buff some number of others to make them not outliers" it's usually much easier (and less risky) to nerf the outlier rather than risk creating a new one.

That said...nerfing Kang will likely just mean a return to the Odo days. There is so little variation in the Commander division because most everyone has access to ANY other 3*, so it's very easy to play "the best one".

In the other divisions, it's a lot more of "play the best you have". Yes, there are some strategic variations like playing high evasion survival games vs. burst. Two character slots don't really allow for much diversity. You play your best +ATK and then either a EVA or ACUR and that's it.
  • Options
    Kang is overpowered
  • Options
    Second slot does matter. If you use a card that is not of the same skill (i.e. to get passives), then you will lose versus someone who does most of the time.

There was a time when passive had no effect and it was all the skill bonus but no more. I use Kang plus Selar (+7 aim but no passive) and I really have to work to stay in 1% if at all. I'm stuck with Selar due to crew space issues.

However, I stopped caring since the rewards rotate faster than you can complete the ship anyway. So, why try?

Also, second division is also horribly unbalanced with borg sphere. If you didn't buy a sphere, you cannot stay in top 1%. And once again, the rewards rotate before you can complete and a half finished ship is worthless, so who cares.

Balance **tsk tsk**, I agree. But so do the rewards so very few people care.
  • Options
    However, I stopped caring since the rewards rotate faster than you can complete the ship anyway. So, why try?

I do 5 arena battles a day. I try to do at least one in each division so I don't get dropped off the leader board.

With voyages, I am beginning to question even that strategy. The 200 daily honor isn't as big a deal as it used to be, nor are the schematics to throw into the replicator.

The arena was pretty cool when I first started playing STT .... now it is just tedious.
  • Options
    I will keep playing for the 200 honor, and the Schematics. I am collecting 2 now that I need.
  • Options
    BobkyouBobkyou ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Also, second division is also horribly unbalanced with borg sphere. If you didn't buy a sphere, you cannot stay in top 1%.
    I've not had any issue staying in the top 1% with my Romulan Warbird burning 2-3 tickets per day. You just have to cloak through any burst damage the borg sphere has equipped then pop your own high damage crew (Rura Reed, A Tuvok, Duras Sisters, Uhura, ect.), accuracy crew, and damage multiplier (crit bonus, attack speed, or burst damage). Borg Sphere only has 86% the health of the Romulan, no cloak, and the AI in this game is dumb.

I assume by 'staying' you don't mean with spending 0 tickets, as of course people below your rank are going to be fighting back, and the defender is at a disadvantage due to the simplistic AI.
    And once again, the rewards rotate before you can complete and a half finished ship is worthless, so who cares.
    • Going forward, we're going to consistently update the Arena rewards at the start of each month, and look into getting that information more easily accessible to you prior to the switch.
    As for changing the rewards, adding alternative redemption options, etc, that's not happening for this month, but the production team is aware of your suggestions, and they are a consideration for planning upcoming rewards.
    There are 7 4★ ships, and db said they plan to do 1 rotation per month. You can also get packs of 600 schematics from voyages, though those are very rare.
  • Options
    I switched to Kang+o'brien as an experiment, and went from rank over 5000 to 500.

We need new 3* crew who make boarding and position viable opposition to cloaking in the commander division. Please and thank you.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to Kang+o'brien as an experiment, and went from rank over 5000 to 500.

We need new 3* crew who make boarding and position viable opposition to cloaking in the commander division. Please and thank you.

Agreed. A couple months ago I managed to max out the Jim'Hadar fighter to see if I could make boarding work and through extensive trial and error found that Odo+O'Brien was the only viable crew option. Could only occasionally crack the top 1000. I could beat a Bird of Prey with identical crew most of the time, but Kang just decimated me every time.
  • Options
    I'm having trouble understanding how kangs bonus trait works with the BOP. I understand he gets an attack bost with the cloaking ability, but what's the point of this when the BOP can't fire while cloaked???
    I understand it must work somehow, just need clarification on how to activate Kangs boost.
  • Options
    I'm having trouble understanding how kangs bonus trait works with the BOP. I understand he gets an attack bost with the cloaking ability, but what's the point of this when the BOP can't fire while cloaked???
    I understand it must work somehow, just need clarification on how to activate Kangs boost.

First, You select the cloak button. Then secondly you select Kang. Must be done in that order.
  • Options
    I agree, I find the Admiral and Captain divisions competitive, though the Captain division could be helped if the non-sphere ships were given a fourth crew slot.

But as to the topic, either DB needs to nerf Khan, nerf the K"Vort or boost all the other ships in the commander division.
    I doubt you get many complaints about 1* and 2* ships being improved.

And un-nerf Boxer Chakotay
  • Options
    Using Kang immediately brings you out of cloak to start firing so it's best to click him when you're on your last second of cloak.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I find the Admiral and Captain divisions competitive, though the Captain division could be helped if the non-sphere ships were given a fourth crew slot.

But as to the topic, either DB needs to nerf Khan, nerf the K"Vort or boost all the other ships in the commander division.
    I doubt you get many complaints about 1* and 2* ships being improved.

And un-nerf Boxer Chakotay

You leave Khan alone... 😜
  • Options
    Using Kang immediately brings you out of cloak to start firing so it's best to click him when you're on your last second of cloak.

Great, thanks for the clarification!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wesley and Hugh got my Val Jean into the 15% range so I could earn enough schematics for a 3* ship. But then they hit a block and I can't get them farther. I've maintained alright, but progress has slowed dispute repeatedly trying different combos. Kang doesn't seem to help the Val Jean.
  • Options
    Kang doesn't seem to help the Val Jean.

He wouldn't. Kang's special ability only kicks in when he's on ships with cloaking capability. Without it he's fairly middling.