Home The Bridge
Options

Chasing Featured 5-Star Crew: Exploring Options

eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in The Bridge
I asked this question to my fleet yesterday but was looking for input from the rest of the forum.

Premise: I want a specific legendary crew member from a featured pack. For this example, let's use the Pioneering Heros and Pioneering Legends packs that are currently in the portal at 650 and 6500 dilithium respectively. Our budget is 6500 dilithium.

Question: Which option provides the best value and opportunity to receive a specific featured, legendary crew? For this example, let's use Defensive Phlox.

Based on our budget, we have three options. Purchase one Pioneering Legend pack for 6500 dilithium. Purchase ten Pioneering Heros packs for 6500 dilithium. Purchasing 89 single pulls from the Pioneering Heros pack for 6408 dilithium.

Purchase Option 1:
Purchasing a Pioneering Legend pack does guarantee a featured legendary (though not specifically Phlox), but we can only make this purchase once within our budget. In addition, we receive 9 random super-rare or better crew characters.

Purchase Option 2:
Purchasing a Pioneering Heros pack does not guarantee a legendary, but we are able to purchase this pack 10 times within our budget. However, per pack, we are only guaranteed one of the featured crew and then given 9 random rare or better crew characters/schematics.

Purchase Option 3:
Purchasing 89 single pulls from the Pioneering Heros pack does not guarantee a featured crew (legendary nor super rare) and costs more dilithium per pull. However, each pull is unique and does come with a "higher chance" of getting a featured crew. In addition, each pull is not dependant on whether or not you received a featured crew on your last pull, unlike purchase options 1 and 2 which check if you have already received a guaranteed featured crew in the pack.

Obviously, these options don't take into account additional beholds, honor, schematics, or that sometimes 10x packs drop more than one featured crew member. And, we don't have information on drop rates, etc. But, I'm still curious to hear people's thoughts.

If you were chasing Defensive Phlox, which option do you believe gives you the best opportunity and value for your 6500 dilithium budget?
Proud member of eXodus
Join the eXo|plosion today!

Comments

• Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd pull 10x 650 packs as the 6500 has given me zero legendary crew in past buys.

Here's my Logic in doing so pull 10x4* crew all duplicated crew is 2000 honor for 6500 (given my roster and past experiences it's high risk low return)

10x650 gives me 10 super rare( 2000 honor ) and possibly an additional Behold both super rare and legendary plus replicator fodder and 3* crew not already immortalised
  • Options
    Option 2 all day long. I went for Phlox using that and spent about 7k dil and got 2 shraan, 3 Soval, 2 Phlox and 1 augment Picard.

I would always go for option 2 as you have the chance of more than 1 guaranteed legendary. option 1 for me just isn't worth it, the dil to character ratio is insanely high. Option 2 also gave me a few super rare I don't have as well as a bunch of honor.

Option 3 I would never consider for the simple fact that I could never be bothered to do that many single pulls...
  • Options
    Morn wrote: »
    Option 3 I would never consider for the simple fact that I could never be bothered to do that many single pulls...

Ha! This is a fair point.

Proud member of eXodus
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would always go for option 2 as you have the chance of more than 1 guaranteed legendary.

Maybe this is arguing semantics, but I think the distinction is important. Option 2 gives you no guaranteed legendary. You could pull it 50 times and get none. The same amount of dilithium spend on option 1 would give you 5 guaranteed legendaries.
  • Options
    Yesterday, my budget was 53k dil (everything I had saved) to get 1 Phlox. And I did. Get one Phlox, that is, with almost that amount of dilithium. I started with 650 pulls, did 20, and had no legendary drops. Then, I moved over to the 6500 pulls and had 6 or 7 Sovals drop. With the remaining ~5k dil, I went back to 650 pulls and finally got him.

Of course, there's always the chance that he'll drop on pull 2 or 3 from the 650, which is why I start there. I had amazing luck on the Best Chance of Burnham pack that is probably still evening out.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yesterday, my budget was 53k dil (everything I had saved) to get 1 Phlox. And I did. Get one Phlox, that is, with almost that amount of dilithium. I started with 650 pulls, did 20, and had no legendary drops. Then, I moved over to the 6500 pulls and had 6 or 7 Sovals drop. With the remaining ~5k dil, I went back to 650 pulls and finally got him.

Of course, there's always the chance that he'll drop on pull 2 or 3 from the 650, which is why I start there. I had amazing luck on the Best Chance of Burnham pack that is probably still evening out.

Right, but the real question is how many Davids did you get? ;)
    Proud member of eXodus
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    I would always go for option 2 as you have the chance of more than 1 guaranteed legendary.

Maybe this is arguing semantics, but I think the distinction is important. Option 2 gives you no guaranteed legendary. You could pull it 50 times and get none. The same amount of dilithium spend on option 1 would give you 5 guaranteed legendaries.

5 are guaranteed ?
    Ok I've read this a few times and have caught up lol but that's based on an approx 38k budget. With a strict budget of 6500 id do the 10x 650. U could end up with an airlock full of ev suit Tucker.. but you could end up with multiple legendarys.

I myself only go after packs when anything I pull is a win pending budget .

If I'm in OPs place..
    I ask myself.. do I need ev suit or hoshi ?
    If the 4stars are fully fused.. or no interest in those characters.. I just wouldn't pull lol.
    6500 for a 1 in 3 shot at someone you want
    With no interest in the other 2.. nope. Too Rich for my blood

Always assume you'll get the least of what you want before you engage.
    (Too much heart break otherwise)

And the single pulls ?
    You literally could end up with -nothing- but 3*s or schematics.
  • Options
    PaPa ✭✭
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    Personally I'd pull 10x 650 packs as the 6500 has given me zero legendary crew in past buys.

I thought the 6500 pack would give you a guaranteed legendary? It says so in the description.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

5 are guaranteed ?

Each 6500 dilithium pull guarantees one featured legendary. So 5x 6500 pulls guarantees 5 legendaries - they could be all Sorval. But the same amount of dilithium spent on 650 dilithium pulls gives no guaranteed legendaries.
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pa wrote: »
    [BL] Q wrote: »

I thought the 6500 pack would give you a guaranteed legendary? It says so in the description.

Some previous ones did others did not that's why you should always read the description
  • Options
    There's two versions of the 6500 pack: one is all beholds and does not guarantee a legendary; one is a guaranteed legendary but there is no guarantee of any beholds. When they offer the 3 purple / 3 gold packs, it's usually the guaranteed legendary version - but it's definitely worth checking the fine print.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    Not sure why this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the main benefit that I see of 10x650 over 1x6500 is that you have the option to come in under budget if you get phlox early.
  • Options
    What type of gambler are you?

1*6500= 33% guaranteed chance of Phlox

10*650= risk of 0% Phlox but the chance of way better return of investment, with some random cool stuff or total disappointment thrown in for good measure.

Personally, I gamble every time, at least I'll get some honor if it fails.
  • Options
    According to my drop rate data I've been collecting over the past few months, one 10xpull gives you about a 11.2% chance of getting a featured 5* crew. Ten 10xpulls would be almost nearly a guarantee of 1 featured 5* crew (almost nearly because, statistics). The 6500 pull does guarantee 1 featured 5* crew. So your odds are about the same. The big difference is the amount of honor you'd get. Roughly 7,900 honor for the ten 10xpulls, +/-RNG.
  • Options
    I'd favor Option 2 because I could stop opening packs if/when I got what I wanted. Even if it took until my ninth pack to get Defensive Phlox, I can still get away with spending 5850 dilithium instead of the full 6500. I could, of course, go 0-10 and be out the full 6500 dil anyway, but that's the same risk as Option 1. Option 2 will cast a wider net of consolation prizes/Honor.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

I got some Dil for 175 immortals, bought a single 10x pull and got him. I feel very fortunate now.
  • Options
    Option 2 every time. 10x 650 packs usually gives a least 1 legendary character... sometimes upwards of 4 or 5 if your lucky. Especially if you get double legend pulls in one 650 pull.