Home The Bridge
Options

Klingon O'Brien Issues

tbxvelkpvkxl.png

Can you please redo the graphics for the Klingon O'Brien?!?

Comments

• Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's terrible!
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forcing smiles on characters also bothers me
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Combined with this 5 second torchbearer dude and the fact that is a galaxy, this may be the worst event of all time. Can anyone think of a worse one?
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »
    Combined with this 5 second torchbearer dude and the fact that is a galaxy, this may be the worst event of all time. Can anyone think of a worse one?

Prime Directive event that was delayed months. Not worse for the same reasons, of course, but I think a delay that long will make it hard to top.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mustache/goatee thing is the worst part. It's not just bad art, it's factually wrong. Did they even look at the character for more than 2 seconds?
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like it was super compressed, then converted to 4 bit color. At least my DOS CGA games had gameplay to make them interesting.
  • Options
    This is really, really poor.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see QH's Pedro's version of Klingon O Brien
  • Options
    Inaccuracy and poor quality aside, I have to admit I think he looks better than O'Brien's unflattering Klingon makeup in that episode.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this can be explained easily...

The illustrator is as tired of drawing Klingons as we are leveling them.

Maybe the same one who did Klingon Torres. Ugh.
  • Options
    Grant77 wrote: »
    The one with BO Troi.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    ffctsarbiiez.jpeg

While Klingon O’Brian does look bad, the Kanji on Riker’s outfit looks like it was written by a five year old with a blunt set of crayola crayons.
  • Options
    I'm pleased that Klingon O'Brien has been made and is the threshold reward crew in this event. I'm also disappointed by the artwork. He's the latest in a recent crop of crew members who are entirely too soft, created by too much reliance on broad strokes. It's not an intrinsically bad aesthetic, per se, but it's certainly incongruous with the standardized aesthetics of the rest of the game's art.
  • Options
    I think this can be explained easily...

The illustrator is as tired of drawing Klingons as we are leveling them.

Maybe the same one who did Klingon Torres. Ugh.

She was the first that came to mind

• Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with being disappointed in the art on this O'Brien. I will still go for him, because O'Brien ;-)

And a Riker whom I will dub Starcraft Riker ;-)
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antasil wrote: »
    ...And a Riker whom I will dub Starcraft Riker ;-)
    En Taro Adun, Number One.
  • Options
    Meh art + galaxy. pass.
  • Options
    I agree with being disappointed in the art on this O'Brien. I will still go for him, because O'Brien ;-)

I'm hoping that if they see enough of us complained, they will fix the artwork. All they have to do is fix the face which isn't too much work.
  • Options

I'm hoping that if they see enough of us complained, they will fix the artwork. All they have to do is fix the face which isn't too much work.

I'm unaware of any artwork being revised once published, and there were plenty of threads on the old forum calling for it. Klingon O'Brien is unlikely to be changed. My hope is simply that going forward, the artwork be kept more consistent with the high standards that have prevailed for most of the game's duration.
  • Options

I'm unaware of any artwork being revised once published, and there were plenty of threads on the old forum calling for it. Klingon O'Brien is unlikely to be changed. My hope is simply that going forward, the artwork be kept more consistent with the high standards that have prevailed for most of the game's duration.

There is one case that I remember. The Commander Kira. She was given captain pips in the picture and they changed it to commander
  • Options
    eXo | SilverRose (retired)eXo | SilverRose (retired) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    They have fixed minor details, like ranks (Teacup Sulu also had the wrong rank detail). They have not replaced pieces of art that we don't like, despite our complaining. See also: 23rd Century Potatohead.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    Between the art and the skills.. pass.
    Was gonna go after him, especially there being all 4 vis threshold and community..

But he should be Eng/Sci/Sec
    And under cover O'Brien has most of this versions traits, minus dualist and Klingon
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    ffctsarbiiez.jpeg

While Klingon O’Brian does look bad, the Kanji on Riker’s outfit looks like it was written by a five year old with a blunt set of crayola crayons.

Those pesky spammers are back

I’ve found a way past the censor filters... just follow us spammers and you can swear and cuss to your hearts content... in Chinese... (although technically Riker’s suit should be Japanese Kanji... which is kind of Chinese) ... oh never mind... just #### it.
  • Options
    Riker's expression describes my reaction to the artwork pretty well. Beautiful artwork is one of the strongest points of this game, this just makes me sad.
    [9RS | Combs] Kilana
    9RS fleet is recruiting, PM me for more information!
  • Options
    I may just have to airlock the lot this week. All horrible!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forcing smiles on characters also bothers me

Forced expressions have a spotty track record, but I'm finding that's actually the one saving grace this time - the detail's way too soft and I miss the chin braids, but the expression really does work for me. Like he's joining in with the other Klingons giving a cheer, and kind of getting into it, but in the back of his mind he's still going "Am I doing this right? Okay..." It doesn't excuse the rest, but it will keep him out of the Klingon Janeway/Torres club, where I wince a little every time I scroll past them in the crew screen.
  • Options
    I'm usually pretty forgiving with character art. I don't hate Blood Oath Jadzia, she's very 80s comicbook, but that seems like a deliberate stylistic choice. One that doesn't really fit the rest of the roster, but I can get past that. O'Brien on the other hand I agree is just bad. No attention has been paid to how Colm Meaney actually looked in that episode.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.