Home Make It So!
Options

24th Century Kirk

You know it makes no sense. You know you want to do it anyway.

Clearly, there are two gaping voids in the game's crew roster that simply must be addressed. 1) the 43rd tribble to drop out of that overhead locker. And 2) a 24th century Kirk.

There are precedents for this apparent dichotomy. Firstly, we have diet sodas and iced tea. Secondly, we've seen characters from the comics such as Mirror Geordi et al. Well, this idea too is from the expanded universe of Star Trek. Who hasn't read the Shatnerverse novels and thought 'gosh I need to log into Star Trek timelines and check if this is a thing yet'. Rhetorical question.

The novels are quite new, being only a thousand years old and due a resurgence any day now. If you're not up to date on the events of the Shatnerverse novels then here's a pic that summarises it best: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Spectre . Remember, grey uniform. Not the Nexus one. Yes I know he's 24th century too but this is a post-return Kirk.

If we can have COP founder Picard and um I dunno, Groot, then surely, surely, we can do this. It's got to be way more popular than alien stunt double #3 from that voyager episode where that thing happened.

So come on DB / TP / WR / Whoever it is now, come on and give the people what they don't even know they want.

Bring back Kirk.

PS I'm tempted to drop in the idea of a mega event around this but I think that might be taking it too far so if someone else would like to do that in some subtle way then please be my guest.

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a precedent, albeit limited, for crew sourced from outside the TV series and movies. All of the Mirror TNG crew and the 5* Dr. Katherine Pulaski come from IDW comic books, a third party non-canon source. Straight-up originals like COP Founder Picard, Boxing Tucker, Borg Troi, and the like are probably easier to pull off because they only need to worry about rights to the actors’ likenesses and not the source material, but it’s obviously been done before.

As a Kirk fan, I think this would be a phenomenal amount of fun. There is a huge font of material out there to pull characters from, whether it’s the Pocket Books like this one, Star Trek Online (Mirror Leeta, Captain Shon, Noye, Ambassador Worf), David Mack’s Cold Equations trilogy (Resurrected Data, Borg Erika Hernandez), the various Mirror Universe short stories (Mirror versions of the Voyager crew come to mind), or other books, games, and comic books. Some people will inevitably get incredibly offended at the very possibility of non-canon crew additions, but new crew is one of the few things that remains fresh in this game and licensed content would keep the supply of new crew options coming for a long time.
  • Options
    Licensing-wise, it doesn't even have to be a Shatnerverse Shatner. It can just be a Kirk with a grey Nemesis-era shouldered uniform. Heck even the late series TNG one. We already have precedent for putting characters in different eras such as the aforementioned Picard and 23rd century Martok.

So come on Timelines. Even if you think you can't do this, yes you khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
  • Options
    Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    +1 from me, for this. I quite liked the characters and art we got from the Mirror Mega. Would love to see more crew from things I have not yet read/seen.
    c41opmot9qqe.gif
  • Options
    I agree with everything Lore and the sheep said.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hereby cosign this petition. I will add that I feel strongly he needs to have the Borg trait.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also cosign, mainly because I like the sheep. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Glad other people think this is a good idea too :)
    Maybe I shouldn't have said 'shatnerverse' tho - plain old 24th century would be fine.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be fun!
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    They probably don’t have the rights to the Shatnerverse. If I’m not mistaken, Shatner was given special permission to use the Star Trek universe and its characters for his novels but those novels are still essentially his work(s).
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    Maybe. But they don't really need to. They can just do a 24th century Kirk that has no more relationship with the Shatnerverse books than any other comic book, video game or book where he popped into the 24th century for a bit...and I'll still be happy.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably don’t have the rights to the Shatnerverse. If I’m not mistaken, Shatner was given special permission to use the Star Trek universe and its characters for his novels but those novels are still essentially his work(s).

Where'd you hear/read that? They haven't been embraced by the rest of the expanded Trek universe, but I've never been given to understand there was any special rights issue attached to that exclusion. Are you by chance referring to the disclaimer at the beginning of Academy: Collision Course, about that story "deriving solely from the author's unique personal vision"? That was just cover since they knew the reboot movie was in the offing while it was written, but weren't sure what, if any, contradictions may come from it.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe. But they don't really need to. They can just do a 24th century Kirk that has no more relationship with the Shatnerverse books than any other comic book, video game or book where he popped into the 24th century for a bit...and I'll still be happy.

Where'd you hear/read that? They haven't been embraced by the rest of the expanded Trek universe, but I've never been given to understand there was any special rights issue attached to that exclusion. Are you by chance referring to the disclaimer at the beginning of Academy: Collision Course, about that story "deriving solely from the author's unique personal vision"? That was just cover since they knew the reboot movie was in the offing while it was written, but weren't sure what, if any, contradictions may come from it.

🍿
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust