Home Strange New Worlds

New series confirmed - ST: Strange New Worlds, featuring Pike/Spock/#1

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-anson-mount-rebecca-romijn-ethan-peck-cbs-all-access

I thought they all did a great job in Discovery and am pleased to see CBS giving these characters freedom to do their own thing.

Comments

• Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am all about this! Disco S2 was frustrating, but this trio was among the highlights. I have two hopes. One is that the title portends this might be more of a traditional, episodic, alien-of-the-week show. The other is that Pike will get to be an actual Starfleet captain instead of merely the bridge moderator. Whatever the case, I'm stoked!

I saw an article either yesterday or the day before that reported that they were planning to cast Uhura and Kirk.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m just a bit apprehensive on the writing side of things, but if Akiva Goldsman can hit the same vein that he did on the new Eden episode of Star Trek Discovery it will be a good series.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m just a bit apprehensive on the writing side of things, but if Akiva Goldsman can hit the same vein that he did on the new Eden episode of Star Trek Discovery it will be a good series.

That’s an entirely reasonable concern to have. Disco’s second season got too convoluted for its own good, as if they knew where they wanted to end up but had no idea how to get there. As long as the writing staff doesn’t fall into that trap, the chemistry of these characters together should be enough to make it a good show.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

I share your apprehension about the writing, and also your hope they take the series's cue from "New Eden". That was my favorite episode of the second season.
  • CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    hopefully it's not as bad as the last two ...
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuttysark wrote: »
    hopefully it's not as bad as the last two ...

I think the general tendency is to not do what is already being done. Discovery seems more about internal discovery. Picard shows old characters in a new stage of life. I think that leaves a lot of room for something totally different. I just hope the writers realize that Star Wars ate Star Trek's lunch when they did the first season of The Mandalorian. I hope those Trek writers are hungry to make something special. They certainly have the core cast to do so.
    Farewell 🖖
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • [SFW] Quick Claude[SFW] Quick Claude ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-anson-mount-rebecca-romijn-ethan-peck-cbs-all-access

I thought they all did a great job in Discovery and am pleased to see CBS giving these characters freedom to do their own thing.

It was the only part of Discovery I liked.

It was the only part of Discovery I liked.

How could it not be Lorca? ;)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting casting ideas here. And as I was reading the opening paragraphs (before the article gets into the list), I had to wonder if the author plays Timelines and reads this forum, since he makes the same suggestion that I did in another thread here for casting Jeffrey Combs as Dr. Boyce. ;)

10 Unlikely Characters Who'd Be Perfect For Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
    https://whatculture.com/tv/10-unlikely-characters-whod-be-perfect-for-star-trek-strange-new-worlds

kan3pl5cok23.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Interesting casting ideas here. And as I was reading the opening paragraphs (before the article gets into the list), I had to wonder if the author plays Timelines and reads this forum, since he makes the same suggestion that I did in another thread here for casting Jeffrey Combs as Dr. Boyce. ;)

10 Unlikely Characters Who'd Be Perfect For Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
    https://whatculture.com/tv/10-unlikely-characters-whod-be-perfect-for-star-trek-strange-new-worlds

kan3pl5cok23.jpg

I really like a lot of those ideas, particularly Decker, April, and Dax. And Krall, come to think of it, though I will still continue pulling for an Earth/Romulan War miniseries where we get to see Edison before he became Krall.
  • edited May 2020
    I just thought of something. i’m really wondering if this series takes place pre-disco or post-disco. both would have advantages. If it’s before the events of disco then we can see characters like robert april, arex, m’ress etc. but if it’s after then maybe it would lead up to pikes accident at the end, maybe they’ll give number one her own command or something. either way i’m looking forward to it :smiley:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Doing some quick math...they should still be able to squeeze in another 5-year mission with Pike in command of the Enterprise, after his shenanigans aboard Discovery but before his promotion to fleet captain. That's allowing for his downtime during the Enterprise's time-consuming refit, and using the most conservative estimates of when he handed the command over to Kirk (since canon contains contradictory timelines). Providing us all plenty of time in which to explore strange, new worlds...

Captain Pike has always interested me. In particular, I've often wondered exactly what this man did to inspire the creation of the Christopher Pike Medal of Valor? We know that he was said to be the most-decorated captain of his time, and that the award was posthumously named in his honor. By the following century, the medal was being awarded to officers who demonstrated meritorious conduct, extraordinary leadership, and uncommon acts of personal bravery. However, the medal's inscription suggests that its original importance was one of military (even political) accomplishment: SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS, or "Thus always to tyrants." This infamous motto can of course have revolutionary overtones, but more simply describes a world in which virtue does, and will always, triumph over tyranny. So again I ask, how does this concept relate to Chris Pike's stellar career (pun intended)?

Nobody would doubt that Pike's remarkable bravery and self-sacrifice during the disaster on board Colt's training starship, was worthy of any number of decorations. But that situation lacked any context of right fighting against wrong, or of the oppressed resisting the will of the despot. Those are notions more appropriate to wartime...yet Pike essentially missed the Federation-Klingon War, and history doesn't note any other significant open conflicts or police actions during his era. The likeliest possibility that comes to my mind, is that Pike may have gotten embroiled in somebody else's war while undertaking one of his 5-year missions of exploration. His subsequent actions, and the light in which future historians would view his deeds, would presumably have been overwhelmingly positive and heroic. I myself would be very keen to see something like this on the new program. Let's get some answers to the asked (and unasked) questions about Christopher Pike!
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • I know this isn’t related to SNW but somewhere in the future i’d like to see something about the Earth-Romulan War (2156-2160) which ends in the creation of the neutral zone 🖖

Captain Level 99

I know this isn’t related to SNW but somewhere in the future i’d like to see something about the Earth-Romulan War (2156-2160) which ends in the creation of the neutral zone 🖖

I’ve had a number of posts scattered across the forums over the years suggesting that a miniseries or other shorter TV format could be a great vehicle for a story set in that time period. My ideas have included both Enterprise characters as well as Balthazar Edison and anyone else needed to put together a solid ensemble cast, which with the right writers and director would probably be pretty amazing.
  • I just have to say i hope SNW has more episodes than PIC season 1 did, or even Disco seconds 1 and 2. Picard only had 10 episodes with Discovery season 1 having 15 and season 2 having 14. TOS had numbers in the mid to high twenties for episodes per season. TNG has 26 episodes every season except season two which had 22. I could do more episode research but I don’t feel like it lol. Anyways I hope to see SNW having a better amount of episodes (also because it’s supposed to be more episodic) and the next seasons of PIC and Disco having more episodes than previously. 🖖

Captain Level 99

I just have to say i hope SNW has more episodes than PIC season 1 did, or even Disco seconds 1 and 2. Picard only had 10 episodes with Discovery season 1 having 15 and season 2 having 14. TOS had numbers in the mid to high twenties for episodes per season. TNG has 26 episodes every season except season two which had 22. I could do more episode research but I don’t feel like it lol. Anyways I hope to see SNW having a better amount of episodes (also because it’s supposed to be more episodic) and the next seasons of PIC and Disco having more episodes than previously. 🖖

I agree completely, but I think this is a symptom of a wider trend in television rather than something specific to Trek. Shows that go a full 20-26 episodes in a season seem to be pretty rare, at least for those with a lot of special effects. Having enough material for meaningful syndication isn’t a concern because of the rise of streaming video and attention spans for long, involved storylines across more than a dozen episode seem to be lacking among the modern viewing public.

We can certainly hope that the episodic nature of the show leads to more episodes per season...but if not, the quality will hopefully make up for it.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, those longer seasons are a thing of the past, for most intents and purposes. The average these days (for US-produced shows) is more like 10 eps. But I think it's been a good thing for maintaining overall quality. It's just a lot harder to wait as much as a year or more between seasons, as opposed to the 2 or 3 months that we used to have to wait.

This article goes into some of the whys and wherefors, regarding the current abbreviated seasons:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/8/4/16094348/inefficiency-week-mourning-the-lost-long-tv-season

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Do the recent episodes have longer or shorter running times than those from the older programs? Are they commercial-free?
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

Do the recent episodes have longer or shorter running times than those from the older programs? Are they commercial-free?

Although the advent of streaming video means that shows don’t have to restrict themselves to a specific time slot, they generally follow a half-hour or hour format. I did a quick check of Discovery season 2 and runtimes range from 40 minutes to 65 minutes, with most between 48 and 56 minutes. Season 1 was shorter overall, with the shortest episodes at only 38 minutes and the rest between 42 and 49 minutes. Picard’s first season was a little different: eight episode ran 42-45 minutes in length and the other three were just shy of an hour.

Regardless, there are two options from CBS for ads: the cheaper subscription includes ads and the more expensive one is ad-free. I think the difference is just a few dollars per month, so if you intend to subscribe only long enough to binge your way through everything in a couple of weeks then you might as well spring for the ad-free experience.
    I just looked over that article about characters that we would like to see in SNW. I often thought about a Dax host. I hope to see that. I am ashamed to say that I did not think of Decker until that article. I would certainly like to see more aliens like Arex and M'Ress. I don't really have expectations of seeing anyone from the bridge from The Cage. That was the most caucasian crew in the history of Star Trek. With Mount, Romijn, and Peck already on board, I expect more diversity among other crew. Dr. Boyce may not make it unless they can get a big name like Combs to play the part, probably on a limited number of episodes.

I could be wrong, of course. That's just the direction that my notoriously faulty crystal ball shows me. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • I haven't personally viewed the interactions between the recast Pike, Spock, & Number One...but others have remarked that these characters have good chemistry together. Another relationship I would like to see explored is the burgeoning friendship between Chris Pike and Mia Colt. What begins as a "temporary" assignment filling in for Pike's belated yeoman, evolves into a major career path change for Colt. In addition to their personal acquaintanceship, there are surely stories to be told about the ongoing professional mentorship between these commanding and junior officers. Hooking up with Pike earlier in her career undoubtedly leads to Colt's eventual promotions as CSO of the Bozeman and captain of the Exeter...and I'd love to see this character development onscreen.

• Fake Pike and Ape Spock? No thanks. Just CONTINUE THE STORY WITH BOOKS, like they used to do all those years.

I'd rather have no more prequels. Enterprise managed to do just fine but even that show had some problems (like the T'Brat centered episodes). DIS has been a total failure and a canon-wrecker.