Home The Bridge
Options

Expeditions

RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
I would like to see the expeditions brought back.
They were my favourite event type and bring a bit more variety to the game.
I never understood why they were so hated by some players.
Star Truckerz
It's only my opinion but....

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, if a player doesn't like them, they can sit them out.

But I think they're actually not as frequent because of the inability to monetise them rather than any dislike on the player's part?
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB has basically said they aren't doing any new expeditions. the amount of time to create them is much higher than any other event. We may see re-runs of them but don't expect any new ones.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    the studio has said a few times that they require the most work out of any event. Ben may have also mentioned a lot of people sat out the last one. While they've never stated if it generates the least revenue, it very well could.

expeditions, in the old style of rewards, where you bought the same packs as the final reward, i could see them generating more revenue as people would buy packs to sit out competing. However, in the current style, i see whales dropping quite a bit of dil simply on more tickets, because they take so little time

however in the end, WRG is a very small dev team and sadly, they probably are using the time saved away from expeditions on other things.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Glenn FiddichGlenn Fiddich ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For diversity its better to ask for a new eventtype, than hoping for this one i guess
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should add honor as a reward in expedition and players would gladly grind the event.
  • Options
    There are 2 problems I have with Expedition events, they are the most time consuming and provide no extra rewards other then the event points. Even with a galaxy you end up with extra supplies from running missions to get what you need to complete builds.
  • Options
    JayBeezyJayBeezy ✭✭✭
    S31 wrote: »
    They should add honor as a reward in expedition and players would gladly grind the event.

Whether honor or a slot machine of rewards (chronitons/honor/VP/etc) like in Skirmishes, adding an extra reward could make the expeditions more popular. I always liked them for the strategic element.
  • Options
    Seven ConstanzaSeven Constanza ✭✭✭✭
    I like Expeditions for the strategy and thought involved. Wish they’d run them again. At the start it takes time to pick which cards to use for each mission but after that it’s easy. A pain point for many people though was the ticket number limit each day - use them all for the day or don’t get as many at the reset. So you have to set aside the time each day to use up all the tickets.
  • Options
    IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy hybrid expeditions. A full one is just too much of a good thing.

I can understand why they don't want to do more. But if we are going to retire them, we need another kind of event format to replace them.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 problems I have with Expedition events, they are the most time consuming and provide no extra rewards other then the event points. Even with a galaxy you end up with extra supplies from running missions to get what you need to complete builds.

This.

If they could come up with some form of Expedition that either limited your "team" to a set number of crew (like 30 or something) OR the game remembered choices players made on ticket 1 to make tickets 2+ less of a hassle, I would probably be OK trying one again, but as they currently exist, absolutely not.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »

This.

If they could come up with some form of Expedition that either limited your "team" to a set number of crew (like 30 or something) OR the game remembered choices players made on ticket 1 to make tickets 2+ less of a hassle, I would probably be OK trying one again, but as they currently exist, absolutely not.

I'd be happy to see a reworked expedition event. There is enough of a framework that they should be able to tweak it easier than starting from scratch with a new event type.

Limited crew per ticket. Maybe some kind of incremental rewards. Reconsidering unlocking missions or future tickets. Tweaking how tickets accrue.

They can create a new expedition format, try it out as a mid-week mini-event, and then if people like it, roll it in for future weekends.
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they are long and gone. Thought skirmishes took just as much time but I learned to value the rewards and enjoy them. Galaxies are just a resource sink.
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the expeditions because of the thought and skill.
    But by the third ticket, I have figured out all the puzzles, and then it just becomes a grind.

Also, the only rewards are the VP and (much more annoyingly for me), there is a cap on the amount of VP a VIP0 player can obtain. It's enough to hit threshold, but on principle it annoys me.

But I *do* like the idea behind them. The reward system can be fixed (and the grind reduced) by adding a rewards roll (like in skirmishes) after each successful run. This means that once all VP has been claimed, there is a benefit to continuing with the ticket. Even better if the rewards quality are directly proportional to the difficulty of the mission and the number of successful runs through the mission. Downsides - encourages grind, and not everybody will like that.

My issue with the cap would be fixed by not allowing any purchase of extra tickets (meaning there is a set number of tickets given at the beginning of the event, say 15, and that's it). If you want the extra VP, you have to keep playing your crew until complete exhaustion. <-- This is likely to be an unpopular choice because it increases grind... but if you reward the grind with increasing rewards, then it might balance out. It is also likely to be unpopular for those who like to buy the extra tickets.

The downsides from WR/TP point of view: extra coding, extra workload, no extra revenue generated.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldude wrote: »

Also, the only rewards are the VP and (much more annoyingly for me), there is a cap on the amount of VP a VIP0 player can obtain. It's enough to hit threshold, but on principle it annoys me.

There is a cap? Or do you simply mean the need to buy attempts with dil to rank higher? The free campaign track provides enough dil for some extra runs if one is dedicated enough to spend it.

In the last expedition I spent 120 dil and ranked 49th. It is far from expensive, even for VIP0s.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivlain wrote: »
    I enjoy hybrid expeditions. A full one is just too much of a good thing.

I can understand why they don't want to do more. But if we are going to retire them, we need another kind of event format to replace them.

and if expeditions ARE retired permanently, it sure would be nice to have an official communication in the game saying so, for those of us still holding onto those extra inbox tickets :s
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    The free campaign track provides enough dil for some extra runs if one is dedicated enough to spend it.

I will be honest, almost all the expeditions I played were pre-campaign so dilithium was highly scarce at the time.
    I admit, I hadn't thought of the campaign dilithium factoring in.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Most players seem to like slot machines. Skirmish events are the ultimate slot machine so players love them. Expedition events require thought and skill. So the players that like their slot machine hate expedition events.

I’ll grant that Expeditions require more strategy than any other event. But that’s maybe one or two ticket runs to figure out what crew to use in which order, and then it becomes an even worse slog than Galaxy or Skirmish events because one mistake due to boredom, fat fingers, or inattentiveness ruins the rest of the active ticket.

Faction events can require some strategy to choose which crew to use in each slot for those players without an over abundance of solid crew, Galaxy events require one or two runs through each recipe to work out who has the best chance for dropping a rare reward, and Skirmishes take a minute or less of figuring out which event crew joins your usual ship battle crew.

I spend maybe as much time working out who to choose for a gauntlet as I do an Expedition event and gauntlets are less grindy by a country mile.
  • Options
    IMO, the thing holding expeditions back is the crew select.

I also like the challenge of an expedition, but hate the grind of them. And, by grind, I literally mean scrolling through your roster, over and over, to find your bonus crew, as they slip further and further down the list.

A simple fix (IMO) would be a selectable tab (in the same "bar" as cmd/dip/eng/sec/med/sci) that would just have bonus crew. Maybe label it with a big "B"? That way you can quickly find the crew that will net you the highest VP, while still having easy access to the "fodder" needed to beat the mission.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Could they periodically do some sort of compressed re-run in between weekend events, kind of like a mid-week Skirmish I vaguely remember from a while back? Players who enjoy/miss Expeditions would at least somewhat scratch their itch, while those players who skipped them when they were the normal weekend event presumably wouldn't feel "forced" to do it.
  • Options
    Could they periodically do some sort of compressed re-run in between weekend events, kind of like a mid-week Skirmish I vaguely remember from a while back? Players who enjoy/miss Expeditions would at least somewhat scratch their itch, while those players who skipped them when they were the normal weekend event presumably wouldn't feel "forced" to do it.

Sounds good to me. I would also suggest keeping the event crew separate. As in the event reward 5* from one weekend would still be used the next weekend. Not in the mid-week rerun, which would only use existing crew.

For hybrid events, would you only do one half, split it between two weeks, or just compress each half down to a shorter time?
  • Options
    .•°rÅTT°•..•°rÅTT°•. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yateball wrote: »
    Expeditions are by far the best event type because they require actual thought instead of just mindless tapping, which say what you want about the other event types, they aren't anything but mindless tapping.

Expeditions required thought, planning, and time. Three things that irritated a lot of people

I know right...

Make a change to expedition similar to the changes made to Skirmish. Add a speed button or skip button to speed up clearing nodes. Add more rewards. Why abandon it completely? Oh yeah.. money.. I forgot.... What a shame.

We need another event type that makes money then...
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 294 active crew presently. I am willing to have to sort through all 294 on the first ticket to invest my "thought, planning, and time", I'd be happy to spend an hour+ doing that. But I do not want to do all that work for every ticket, at that point it is no longer an exercise in puzzle solving, it is an exercise in madness.

Skirmishes and Galaxy events may have "mindless tapping", but they are easy. You can watch a show while you do them, you can talk to people, you can even eat a meal. during the last skirmish I did two loads of dishes, cooked three dinners, helped kids with homework, chatted with other players online, and loads of other activities while still managing a top 10 spot, and Galaxies are the same way.

Once the Expedition "puzzle" is solved it still requires concentration to sort through all those crew options, and is therefore painful for a majority of players, as evidenced by Ben's remarks on TT last week and the dozens of player comments on this forum. We can continue to draw these battle lines and argue about them, or we can try and work toward a middle ground where most people can be satisfied, and possibly save this event structure. I have no interest in continuing to argue, but if you guys want to acknowledge some of these pain points and suggest alternatives, I will listen respectfully.
  • Options
    Chuck S DarwinChuck S Darwin ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I haven't found Expeditions particularly painful and I think they are the most fun event type by far. I am typically just trying to place in the 200-1500 range, though, so I can't speak to the pain points of those working their entire crew to exhaustion to place in the top 10. I placed well enough in the last Expedition just by using my best crew to run through each node once for each ticket.