Home The Bridge
Options

First time I’m not buying campaign. I feel bad about it.

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
Help me out guys. I don’t know why I feel guilty about deciding not to buy the premium tier this month.

I mean, I guess it boils down to this:
1) I don’t care to own Lenara Kahn.
2) Premium pulls are pretty much always just honor for me.
3) I really don’t find myself lacking in merits, honor or other bonuses.
4) I have more than enough honor for a legendary citation if I need one. Or four.

I just feel like this is the best deal in the game, and the fact that I’m not just makes me sad.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not the one to talk to about frugality. $10 for me is like $10,000 to most. I think I've bought 2 premium campaigns. Enjoy your savings!
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    I skipped 2 of the last 3 premium campaigns. It's just that I didn't feel for the legendary. Why spend resources (money, chrons, time) for a card that underwhelms you? And in just 30 more days, there will be another random legendary waiting.

True, the premium pulls and the other stuff is just icing on the cake, but you really don't have to buy them all.
    Captain Kirk of [Battleship Musashi]
    Playing since June 14th, 2019
    Captain Level 80 / VIP 12
    Crew Quarters: 241/270
    Immortalized [436]: 5* x30, 4* x239, 3* x89, 2* x53, and 1* x27
    Most recent Immortal: Deral (4/4)
    Current Project: Waiting for sale with 680k Honor
    Completed Collections: Eugenics, Daystrom, Romulan, Ferengi, Do No Harm, Veteran, EV Suit, Rare, Uncommon and Common
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have bought the last campaign but I ran out of crew slots. I would have bought this one and airlocked someone else but she is only a two-skilled crew.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've skipped several. The first time is the hardest. But it is a nice feeling knowing you can choose and are not forced. I was going to skip the last one, but got the Bashirs the day before the campaign ended.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about skipping this one, too, but the card will improve my roster & I can always use the other stuff. YMMV

Plus, and more important to me personally, is that I choose to spend money to support the game that I love for the entertainment value I get in return. Part of that money goes to keeping these forums up & running, which are often even more entertaining than the game itself. 🖖

That second paragraph is why I've done every previous campaign and hope to resume next month. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    if you feel you have enough things its offering in the premi track i dont see the guilty feelings as necessary use the extra 10er for a dinner out and try to forget that nagging voice in the back of your head lol
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should say you're skipping the "premium track" of the campaign, as you are still going to get all of the rewards on the "free" track, unless you are saying you are putting the game away for a whole month... ;)

semantics aside, I have skipped buying 2 premium tracks, the first somewhat in protest since it was Mirror Picard (FF/FE), and the second was another gold I already had FF/FE and didn't really want a second copy.

Other than those two, I enjoy the premium rewards to keep my shuttle boosts high and the extra dils and rest of the goodies are always helpful in some way.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve skipped 1 month (EV Seven), and I certainly won’t criticize how you choose to spend your money. Do what’s best for you. I also felt some regret about skipping it, but I was engaged in a silent protest over an issue I felt wronged over, so that made it easier.

In support of the argument for buying it despite any misgivings about the card... forget the card. It’s 2200 honor, not Lenara Kahn. Buy it for the dilithium and the citation - those 2 things alone are a good value. Personally, I don’t think there is such a thing as “too much honor”. There are always ways to spend honor. I’ve spent most of 2020 trying to max out my collection legends, and I was starting to see the light in the tunnel until the two big expansions occurred. Now I need a lot more honor, so any source for it (e.g., portal pulls) is fine by me.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I skipped the Mirror Picard campaign on principle and will likely do the same here - I’ve bought into campaigns for poor 3-skill crew (Commander Troi and The Bashirs) but a poor 2-skill crew that doesn’t actually even fit the theme is just a bit too much to justify. We’ll see how badly I want that 5* citation at the end of the month, of course.

Then again, this bad campaign legendary lines up with a change in my honor spending strategy - I don’t feel the need to continuously improve my crew any longer (an approach I will maintain is useful for newer players) thanks to being able to hit long voyages fairly consistently with the crew I have. Even citing powerful crew like Prophet Sarah Sisko or Dahar Master Koloth no longer feels as important to me as having flexibility to react to getting a really unique or collectible crew and immortalizing them right away. If I get Mountain Climber Mayweather or Dark Empath Troi in a surprise behold, or if future events finally give us the likes of Dr. M’Benga, Kirok, or Marooned Geordi, it would be great to start using them as soon as possible.

It’d be nice to start stockpiling citations as well as honor right away, but I think that pursuit is worth putting on hold for a month to remind TP to be thoughtful about the value we receive in campaigns.
  • Options
    I too have skipped this month's premium campaign. I buy the premium track for the legendary card and I can not spend my money on a two skill card. It won't help me in voyages.
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    I've skipped a few. But usually my reason is the timing isn't right due to my financial budget. Each campaign starts on a different day each month. It really throws me off (and puts me off) when it starts in the middle of the month. Why can't they ever start & finish roughly the same time each and every month? I'm retired, limited income and only get paid once a month. I know we can pay for a campaign at the end, but by that time, why? Just skip it altogether and pay when the next one starts. I can't pay it twice in one month. I got bills to pay.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    I DID buy it after telling myself I would not.

I think the cards are rubbish, the premium pulls have become useless and again...im not keen on the whole push the agenda thing.

I dont know why i did buy this, i think it was due to 10 seconds of madness . The interesting thing is, despite the premium "perks", i feel deep regret and a touch of "self shame" for actually buying it after telling myself I wouldnt. Each time i claim a reward i think "why did i get this? I didnt want this, why?! Why am I wasting my money on this crud?"

Sufice to say the last thought has also started to effect my desire to keep playing this game in the long run too

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve skipped 1 month (EV Seven), and I certainly won’t criticize how you choose to spend your money. Do what’s best for you. I also felt some regret about skipping it, but I was engaged in a silent protest over an issue I felt wronged over, so that made it easier.

In support of the argument for buying it despite any misgivings about the card... forget the card. It’s 2200 honor, not Lenara Kahn. Buy it for the dilithium and the citation - those 2 things alone are a good value. Personally, I don’t think there is such a thing as “too much honor”. There are always ways to spend honor. I’ve spent most of 2020 trying to max out my collection legends, and I was starting to see the light in the tunnel until the two big expansions occurred. Now I need a lot more honor, so any source for it (e.g., portal pulls) is fine by me.

I skipped last month because my first two Disability checks had to go for stuff for the apartment, such as cleaning supplies, and clothing and food for Scott. Clothes were getting worn out and threadbare. {I'm not going to mention things like Fruit of the Loom choices came down to things like which pair that is clean has the smallest holes.} And Scott has developed a bad habit of eating several times a day.

I was going to skip this month, because of how it seemed that the concerns over the Legendary choice being pandering and misinformed kind of looked to be dismissed out of hand and then the thread locked. But, may look at her as Honour, and just use the other stuff, as you suggest.

Even without the Legendary, the other 95 drops include some useful stuff. One month I got four purple items I had use for immediately from one hat box....

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat, I bought the Bashirs late because the caregiver trait and already they are more than serviceable in my roster. I dont't know why I went with drunk Troi but I bet it was because i needed some stockpile more than I needed her. But this one I won't waste the citation on her but I don't want another 4/5 clogging up the works I guess I could space her, we'll see. i'll wait till next pay check and see if I need the other stuff.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

I skipped last month because my first two Disability checks had to go for stuff for the apartment, such as cleaning supplies, and clothing and food for Scott. Clothes were getting worn out and threadbare. {I'm not going to mention things like Fruit of the Loom choices came down to things like which pair that is clean has the smallest holes.} And Scott has developed a bad habit of eating several times a day.

I was going to skip this month, because of how it seemed that the concerns over the Legendary choice being pandering and misinformed kind of looked to be dismissed out of hand and then the thread locked. But, may look at her as Honour, and just use the other stuff, as you suggest.

Even without the Legendary, the other 95 drops include some useful stuff. One month I got four purple items I had use for immediately from one hat box....

If finances are tight, then I recommend holding on to your $10. I say this knowing full well that WRG might just try to prove me wrong (please don't) but here it goes: next month's legendary couldn't possibly be worse. Save your $10 for next month. Set it aside and use it to get a better premium campaign.

Things are much better now. And somewhere some day I will be getting the first chunk of my Disability backpay. Which I will have to "spend down" some of any way. Can only have so much money on hand, or they suspend your Disability for several months.

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DScottHewitt, we all know you have your moments, but you are a legend and I'm glad to call you a friend :)
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to feel guilty. It’s your money, use it how you see fit.

Imho, a two skill that will just take space in the freezer (I think I haven’t frozen maybe one or two such characters) is a poor choice for a campaign reward.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    No need to feel guilty. It’s your money, use it how you see fit.

i absolutely agree on this, especially in these tough days.

Personally i buy the premium track as my small way to support this game, but would not feel bad if i had to skip.

LLAP
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain?
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend as you see fit. I bought, but...
    1- My roster isn't too deep and a 4/5 in any skill combo makes a big difference.
    2- Considering the promo for Disco 3, am I the only one betting we get an event with the Trill trait? I think Honey Bare Jadzia is my only other 5* Trill. Waitress Ezri is immortalized and a couple 4* Jadzia's are close, but I won't say no to a gold.
    3- People complain about two skill crew, but her maxed would either fill another shuttle seat or fill the one Picard and Number One fill and leave him for a voyage.
    4- The other goodies are a great deal. I love the equipment crates. They are lifesavers at times. I wish they came other ways too.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    [KM]Videm[KM]Videm ✭✭✭
    I didn't buy this month nor last month, and I have skipped months before. My fleet mates have argued it s a good value for the money even without the 5* but I also see it as a means to keep players in the game and playing and spending more. I've also not bought the monthly dilithium often. Keep in mind these low price/high value offers are meant to keep you in the game playing on your emotion to "get your money's worth" there by also giving them the opportunity to make more money with other offers. I chose to resist the tactic and only buy on my terms.
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I will buy it, mostly for the shuttle tokens and citation, but I will wait until tier 17 to at least set a sign that the 2skiller choice does not please me.

If I was strong enough to resist the purchase I would not feel bad at all. Unfortunately I am not.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Drago MusevniDrago Musevni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    TP must really be into flushing potential revenue down the toilet. Last campaign featured a Tier-Six 5* in The Bashirs. I passed on that one. This campaign features a Tier-Ten 5* in Lenara Kahn. That's a hard-pass this month too. Then Tuesday's packs this week featured all Tier-Ten 5*s. And then the worst recurring mega 5* since Minuet is revealed. TP is on a roll if their aim is to get me to not spend money on the game.
    01000010 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001
  • Options
    I've skipped this one. It's been 200 premium packs since I lost got a legendary so that coupled with the poor main card means it's a fairly easy swerve tbh.