Home The Bridge
Options

First time I’m not buying campaign. I feel bad about it.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    3- People complain about two skill crew, but her maxed would either fill another shuttle seat or fill the one Picard and Number One fill and leave him for a voyage.

That’s a fair point to make. I staff voyages before shuttles except for during Faction events, so she won’t be saving anyone from not making a voyage, but not everyone rolls that way. And where some of us are, not needing two-skill crew to send good shuttles (or who simply don’t send shuttles beyond what’s required to clear the daily mission requirements), is not where everyone is - I once cited Warship Tuvok all the way from 1/5* because I needed his raw power. Even now, he does end up on shuttles when I have a COM/SEC voyage going...but he’s honestly on the bubble as far as the freezer goes, since I can send my 4/5* Emperor Georgiou in his place and likely not notice a shuttle success rate drop.
  • Options
    Every time a campaign comes out, there is a small crowd who says things like, "they won't give us quality legendaries if we keep buying the bad ones." Well... They finally got me on board. I am starting to feel guilty about buying the last one, even. I was hoping the non-main cast was a fluke. It's not. So I'm out.

I'm sorry for bringing this back up, but I also do not support the game pushing an agenda. It's a good cause and all, but once you start, you can't stop. For instance, there was nothing for black history month in February. Not a campaign, Tuesday pack, or anything. That's the kind of thing that gets a #ThisYou? on Twitter. They made a statement about standing with peaceful protesters and the black community, but it comes across as meaningless lip service when it is done too late, not to mention the fact that they are championing some causes, but not others. Times are tense. Many of us come here for time away from that. I sure do. I don't want this to become a platform for the cause of the day. That's what social media is for. I just want the game to exist outside that sphere altogether so I can relax and enjoy it.

Those are two major reasons that I won't do the campaign this month. I don't want to encourage bringing agendas to the game or two-skill, non-main cast, bottom tier legendaries to campaigns. I fully support anyone who skips this particular campaign. Hopefully we get a decent legendary and a Star Trek theme next month. :)

Exactly. lip service.

Im not logging on this month anyway.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a certain forum member pointing out that this was the logical and inevitable course campaigns would take. Seems like they took a lot of heat for it at the time too. I’ll bet that person thinks it’s ironic how quickly so many people have changed their opinions. If only I could remember who it was...
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've skipped a few campaigns, the only one Ove regretted was Scrooge Data and that's because he is Data not because of stats or anything. I enjoy the game very much and try to support it as best I can but I'm at the stage in the game that I need to be engaged and unfortunately this campaign has missed the mark a little for me.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    @DScottHewitt, we all know you have your moments, but you are a legend and I'm glad to call you a friend :)

The admiration is quite mutual, my Brother!!!!!

🖖👍😁👍🖖
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a certain forum member pointing out that this was the logical and inevitable course campaigns would take. Seems like they took a lot of heat for it at the time too. I’ll bet that person thinks it’s ironic how quickly so many people have changed their opinions. If only I could remember who it was...

To be fair, it took no small amount of effort on their part to really wreck a campaign for me. And, though I couldn't remember who exactly, you were at the core of that group I acknowledged first thing. You can take a victory lap, if you want.

But... If they offered Shinzon or one-skill Scotty next month with no agenda attached, I would buy it. I hope they realize that two bad legendaries in a row is a bad idea and they pick someone better, but I would buy it all the same. This was just the perfect storm of awful. I hope for better next month.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I had been spending my money on empires and puzzles but that game is a flippin joke. Rip off. So now I'm back getting the campaign offers. I like the offers.
  • Options
    Let me start off by admitting I've bought every campaign so far.

Even the Mirror Picard one, though I had him already immortalized and was upset by MJLPgate. That second Mirror Picard has turned out to be clutch for Picard faction events as I suspected he would be.

I bought the Sato one too even though I had her immortalized - not quite as useful as MJLP, but that base is useful in faction events though she's almost never event crew.

Drunk Troi and EV Suit Seven have not turned out to be as useful as I'd hoped, but as bridge crew they have some hope for semi-regular use.

And the Bashirs were good enough at 4/5 that I figured I'd get some use from them in voyages. The trait based event strengthens the purchase.

Like others, I still value that gold cite at ~$9. There's a not insignificant amount of dil. And I am stockpiling shuttle tokens. Even with packs being pretty much all honor, there's enough other things to in a campaign to support the value prop outside of the recurring 5*.

But Lenara Kahn. Two skill, three trait, non-bridge crew. Setting aside the character and the theme, the best I can hope for is a terrible begold to get the fifth star and freeze her. As a staunch advocate of "vote with your dollars", I feel compelled to pass. Even more so now that my spending has crossed into whale territory over the last six months.

While TP is late to the party in taking a stance on any kind of social issue, I would normally like to support even a tepid move such as this. Some awareness is usually better than no awareness. But I can't countenance paying money for something that would also get me such an awful card, even if there is value and other reasons aside from that card.
  • Options
    First pass for me this time. Useless premium pulls, nerfed gold equipment crates are barely tolerable when the legendary is halfway decent, but this one is just a blocked crew slot.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭

You could have simply wrote: "I told you so!", Nostradamus. ;)

Lol, I was trying to be genteel about it. Seriously though, when I was trying to point it out originally, I just wanted to remind people that they really can vote with their wallets. Some people passed on it last month, and more are passing on it this month, and they’re realizing that the world doesn’t end when they do. I think that’s actually a really good thing for the community. And I probably could’ve said it better before. So that’s on me. I find I rarely say anything exactly the way I mean it on the first attempt. And that’s in real life. When you factor that in, with the internet, an international player base... it gets even worse. I’m working on it though.

• Options

You could have simply wrote: "I told you so!", Nostradamus. ;)

Lol, I was trying to be genteel about it. Seriously though, when I was trying to point it out originally, I just wanted to remind people that they really can vote with their wallets. Some people passed on it last month, and more are passing on it this month, and they’re realizing that the world doesn’t end when they do. I think that’s actually a really good thing for the community. And I probably could’ve said it better before. So that’s on me. I find I rarely say anything exactly the way I mean it on the first attempt. And that’s in real life. When you factor that in, with the internet, an international player base... it gets even worse. I’m working on it though.

That's an interesting line of thought. Players learning that the world does not end when they stop buying campaigns. That's probably bad for business. I thought it made sense for the devs to test the minimum they could put in campaigns. But given the possibility that the spenders learn that they don't lose much ground, it may have been better to keep us hooked. Obviously it was a thought that just didn't occur to me while I was on the campaign bandwagon.

Marketing interests me. I would love to sit down and ask the marketing manager or team or whomever what drives some of these decisions.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I'm going to stop playing all events
    I want to fully finish all my crew stats and build up resources.
    I also needed time away. I have gotten so use to buying stuff and doing the samething every day.
    The recent changes to the game have benefited me a bunch
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it was intended as a joke, but would people seriously not be even a little excited if Captain Scott was featured in a future campaign? If you look beyond his single skill and all that, his only real "problem" is his 4 second activation on his ship ability, if it were reduced to 3 seconds he'd instantly be desirable, and as he currently exists he still has a purpose, which is more than can be said for other 5* crew. I mean have you SEEN his ship passives?! If you ever want to just go on mental auto-pilot during a skirmish for a few hours, drop Captain Scott into the ENG seat on your Krayton and just stop paying attention, his passives are that good :)

Back to the topic, I've purchased every campaign, and it appears the population of people who can say this is shrinking significantly. I am not excited about Lenara Kahn and the 4 copies of her I eventually get can keep the 4 copies of Drunk Troi I sent out the airlock company, but I personally enjoy the extras that come along with the paid track; I like opening the extra prizes, and I like knowing that my investment now might enable me to make an event run 4 months from now should an event come along with a feature crew that I really want.
  • Options
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I know it was intended as a joke, but would people seriously not be even a little excited if Captain Scott was featured in a future campaign? If you look beyond his single skill and all that, his only real "problem" is his 4 second activation on his ship ability, if it were reduced to 3 seconds he'd instantly be desirable, and as he currently exists he still has a purpose, which is more than can be said for other 5* crew. I mean have you SEEN his ship passives?! If you ever want to just go on mental auto-pilot during a skirmish for a few hours, drop Captain Scott into the ENG seat on your Krayton and just stop paying attention, his passives are that good :)

You caught me. I actually wanted to finish my 1/5 Captain Scott, whom I did not airlock.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I've always bought the premium track rewards solely because of the guaranteed citations at the end of the campaigns. Most of the premium 10x pulls just give me honor at this point because I have all the 1, 2, 3, and 4* folks immortalized (with the exception of EV Suit Tuvok) but I redeem this honor for more 5* citations so I can finish all crew in the game. I am just a collector, so I will take as much help as I can get in getting there. I see ya Paladin. lol

I agree with pretty much everyone here - use your money however you want to because it's your money, and don't feel bad about that decision! :smiley:
    Best,
    Nauti

Level 99; VIP 14
    Crew immortalized = 869
    Common Crew: 27/27, Uncommon Crew: 54/54, Rare Crew: 89/89, Super Rare Crew: 370/375, Legendary Crew: 363/454
    Pending collections = Klingon
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t bought yet and I’m still truly torn. To paraphrase @Prime Lorca [10FH] there isn’t much better than plopping a citation on someone and $10 for a good cite alone is still good value.

That being said the legendary does me little good and Stamets would just be 800 honor, he is long since frozen.

Thanks to this thread, I’m no closer to being able to make a decision. Thanks everyone!!

🖖🏻
  • Options
    So anything on the standard you get no matter what, all you pay for is the premium, Citation, Dilithium,
    equipment that is more likely to be usable by high level crew needing, premium shuttle boosts, and 5 Premium crew 10 packs all for the $10. I have bought each time and the extras are definitively worth it to me.
  • Options
    Not going to comment on the Premium track crew, however the rest of the goodies in the campaign are easily worth $10. Best deal in the game. The best thing to happen to the game in years. Easy buy.
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    I value the citation at 10$ so everything else is bonus to me. Drunk Troi was an easy one as I had her at 1 star already so why not. The bashirs are getting good shuttle time for me and even get called on voyages. I am pleasantly pleased with how they rank for me in the end. Was expecting garbage, but they are actually useful. I don't see this months card being useful, but I can put another citation to good use especially after I burned 4 on Braxton.

was in the same boat for drunk troi so was easy to spend for it
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    I value the citation at 10$ so everything else is bonus to me. Drunk Troi was an easy one as I had her at 1 star already so why not. The bashirs are getting good shuttle time for me and even get called on voyages. I am pleasantly pleased with how they rank for me in the end. Was expecting garbage, but they are actually useful. I don't see this months card being useful, but I can put another citation to good use especially after I burned 4 on Braxton.

was in the same boat for drunk troi so was easy to spend for it

Ditto, FF’d & can freeze her when I hit the 1/5* wall. That day is coming soon, alas. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Never feel guilty about your personal choices. As others have said, WG/TP is in this for the money, and if a campaign purchase does not feel right or is not in your budget, let it go.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I purchase the monthly dil pack and the campaigns each month (totals about $15 after tax) because I feel I do get a lot for my money (even if some of it is not really useful). Also, since I do play every day, getting enjoyment and distraction from the game on a regular basis, I feel that that $15 a month is a reasonable amount to spend to help offset server costs, payroll and program development. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't do it.

But that is just my view. You need to play the way that makes you feel comfortable, and should never feel guilty about saying "No". I agree that the campaigns have been 2nd-rate for a while, but then again, if they are geared to attract new players by making new (to them) crew more attractive, then us older players really aren't the target audience.

Play your way - no shame in your game!
  • Options
    Those are two major reasons that I won't do the campaign this month. I don't want to encourage bringing agendas to the game or two-skill, non-main cast, bottom tier legendaries to campaigns. I fully support anyone who skips this particular campaign. Hopefully we get a decent legendary and a Star Trek theme next month. :)

Similar thoughts here. the campaigns have value regardless of the gold, but I'm not a fan of the game pushing social agendas, or agendas of any kind. social media and mass media push narratives non-stop into my face, and I don't care to see it in a game I play for entertainment.

• Options
    Star Trek has always, and overtly, promoted tolerance and multiculturalism, so I don't have a problem with a Star Trek game promoting the same. I'd even say it was disingenuous to the materiel if they tried to ignore these issues.

An event is probably a better way to celebrate events like Pride, particularly since it introduces a new character, and doesn't involve $$. Sure, there could be a monthly campaign with Benny Russell and Gabriel Bell as a nod to BLM, but I'd rather an event in a sanctuary district with Gabriel Bell 4* (Existing) and Original Gabriel Bell 4* (New).

There are also 52 events every year, so there's far more room to celebrate several of these events.

This being said, I have no problem using the occasional campaign for celebrations like this. I just wish it involved a more interesting character than Lenara Kahn. I've only ever bought campaigns when I wanted the character, and she doesn't interest me. Although this is the first time I've considered getting a campaign simply to promote the theme.

There's a new cause (sometimes two or three) every month. I don't want events to be ruled by this cycle. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. If you have fun with causes, that's great. There's social media. And for the record, I have seen no announcement that WRG/TP will be donating to pride charities. If you want to actually support the cause, this isn't really the way to do it.

As I mentioned in another post, Star Trek has GREAT inclusivity messages. I support that. I think WRG would have done better to keep all of the message that they put out about Kol-Ut-Shan, but leave out the real world connection. Everyone who cared would put two and two together. The rest of us could just enjoy the game with the great inclusivity message.

Please don't push causes on the rest of us. Let us have this space to escape and decompress. I support the idea above about the Bell Riots event. Just leave out the BLM connection. Everyone who is not hiding under a rock will get it. But the company does not need to politicize the game. And since (as I said earlier) they did zero things in February for black history month, I don't think they should pretend that they care now. Do something with the Bell Riots. Push the Star Trek theme. Some of the dialogue parallels RL. Use that. You don't have to spell out the real world connection. We'll understand. We'll get it. We're not dumb.

If the company wants to co-opt those real world causes for profit, then I think they should send some of that money to the cause. Not just exploit those people groups for a profit. That's the way I see it, anyway. Profiting from the hardships of others. Hopefully they stop this. They can send the same message without exploiting people groups.i hope that is the path they choose, moving forward.

I actually want to expand on that Bell Riots idea. I would like to see either some of those temporary achievements to get Benny Russell or Sisko Bell or the actual Gabrielle Bell. Or even better, use one of those mini events. Sisko Bell and Benny Russell are not new. You could make them the rewards for the mini event. Those who do not want to participate are not missing new cards. Everyone who wants to participate gets a shot at some good existing cards. One of the biggest reasons I want this is because the events are happening now and the mega event is scheduled for the next several weeks. It would be nice to see something sooner.
    Farewell 🖖